• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

So, record all-time flooding multiple regions of the world record all-time national temperatures in multiple regions of the world, potentially the longest tornado path on record in the US, a very busy hurricane season in the Atlantic.

But climate change is a lie... or is past tense... whatever.

So, record all-time flooding multiple regions of the world record all-time national temperatures in multiple regions of the world, potentially the longest tornado path on record in the US, a very busy hurricane season in the Atlantic.

Climate change is not a lie, but then again, your seemingly confident attribution of specific harsh weather events, such as the recent tornado event in Kentucky, to climate change is not a leap scientists working in the field are willing to make. Did you see 60 Minutes last weekend? Check out the interview with the climatologist starting at about the 5 minute mark.

60 Minutes - Kentucky Tornado

^ ^ ^
I remember by great-grandmother in the 1960s (so over fifty years ago) explaining to me that "we never had weather like this before and then they started shooting those rockets up and punching holes in the sky."

That was the beginning of climate change.

We are entering the new climate. Probably warmest December on record for where I live. Looking at possibly 10 days where lows were above the average high.

We saw record temperatures ever recorded for countries. Lots of people died because of the heat too, and a town in Canada literally burned away.

Climate change is not a lie, but then again, your seemingly confident attribution of specific harsh weather events, such as the recent tornado event in Kentucky, to climate change is not a leap scientists working in the field are willing to make. Did you see 60 Minutes last weekend? Check out the interview with the climatologist starting at about the 5 minute mark.

One word, aggregate. The aggregate of the unaverage weather is the indication of change, not any single thing.

One word, aggregate. The aggregate of the unaverage weather is the indication of change, not any single thing.
Exactly.

Ask any expert on road safety, and they will tell you that there's an increase in crashes at this time of year, that is directly attributable to higher rates of drunk driving.

Ask the same expert whether the crash yesterday on I-90 was caused by a drunk driver, and he will tell you that he doesn't know, and that he cannot tell you, just from a list of crashes, which were due to drunk driving.

Similarly, meteorologists and climatologists can't point to climate change as the cause of the Kentucky tornadoes, or the cause of the Canadian wildfires, or the cause of the intense hurricane season in the North Atlantic, or the unusually cold weather in the Southern US, or any other specific event. But that doesn't invalidate the fact that climate change is probably responsible for at least some of these events.

More, more frequent, and more severe weather events are a consequence of climate change. And we can see that happening, despite not being able to attribute specific events to climate change - in exactly the same way that we can explain a significant part of the increase in crashes in December (vs November or January) to drunk driving, even without evidence of which specific crashes were caused by drunks.

^ ^ ^
I remember by great-grandmother in the 1960s (so over fifty years ago) explaining to me that "we never had weather like this before and then they started shooting those rockets up and punching holes in the sky."

That was the beginning of climate change.

We are entering the new climate. Probably warmest December on record for where I live. Looking at possibly 10 days where lows were above the average high.

We saw record temperatures ever recorded for countries. Lots of people died because of the heat too, and a town in Canada literally burned away.

I don't know if it's the warmest on record, but a few days ago we had our first freeze of the season--more than 400 days since the last freeze. Finally lost the summer veggies that normally die in November.

Climate change is not a lie, but then again, your seemingly confident attribution of specific harsh weather events, such as the recent tornado event in Kentucky, to climate change is not a leap scientists working in the field are willing to make....

Exactly.
More, more frequent, and more severe weather events are a consequence of climate change. And we can see that happening, despite not being able to attribute specific events to climate change - in exactly the same way that we can explain a significant part of the increase in crashes in December (vs November or January) to drunk driving, even without evidence of which specific crashes were caused by drunks.
I've read that some scientists attribute freak weather events to a certain butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil.

Why don't we find that butterfly and kill it?

Agreed. The aggregate of unaverage weather over a extended period of time supports the notion of climate change. You included the events of a single day (a freakishly severe tornado) in your list of things suggesting climate change is not a lie. How do you know that particular tornado was not just a 1 in 100 year (or say a 1 in 500 year) event...something that has happened many, many times going way back...even long before humans began burning fossil fuels? Even a "busy hurricane season in the Atlantic" isn't a very convincing argument for climate change not being a lie.

It really is a religion.
Climate change is really Apocalypse Now. With raging wildfires, floods and pandemics, it seems like End Times — and it’s our own damned fault.Despite our best efforts, we are inheriting an era that might become irreversible and ultimately even uninhabitable for many. The pandemic, climate change, biodiversity loss and social upheaval may very well become the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, in ways we could never have envisioned.

The Hill

A rapture like cult.

When cats and dogs start living together, I'm going to go off-grid and be a hermit.

Aw. We're gonna miss you!

thebeave said:
a "busy hurricane season in the Atlantic" isn't a very convincing argument for climate change

How about unprecedented, consistent global temperature increase? (But ignore that yellow line - correlation isn't causation, right?)

Global_Temp_and_CO2_400-637x359.jpg

When cats and dogs start living together, I'm going to go off-grid and be a hermit.

Aw. We're gonna miss you!

thebeave said:
a "busy hurricane season in the Atlantic" isn't a very convincing argument for climate change

How about unprecedented, consistent global temperature increase? (But ignore that yellow line - correlation isn't causation, right?)

Global_Temp_and_CO2_400-637x359.jpg

I'll miss you guys too! :cry: But in case you missed it, my cats and dogs reference was a tongue in cheek reference to a famous scene in Ghostbusters:

And your graph on Global Temperature & CO2 from 1880 to 2013 is not in contradiction of what I wrote earlier in posts #303 and #309. So, nice try on the "gotcha", but no cigar.

your graph on Global Temperature & CO2 from 1880 to 2013 is not in contradiction of what I wrote earlier in posts #303 and #309.

It's only in contradiction to climate change denial. But you're not into that kind of bullshit, right?

Agreed. The aggregate of unaverage weather over a extended period of time supports the notion of climate change. You included the events of a single day (a freakishly severe tornado) in your list of things suggesting climate change is not a lie. How do you know that particular tornado was not just a 1 in 100 year (or say a 1 in 500 year)
Cute... we had three 1% chance of exceeding rain events (100-yr) in five or so years where I live. One of them was closer to 500-yr. Canada set a record for warmest temp ever, as did the US. Europe did so as well. And the record flooding in several regions of the world. These would be aggregated together. Leaves on the trees where I live are dropping 6 weeks later than they did 20 years ago.
event...something that has happened many, many times going way back...even long before humans began burning fossil fuels? Even a "busy hurricane season in the Atlantic" isn't a very convincing argument for climate change not being a lie.
The Atlantic has been busier and stronger for a few decades now. We are just exhausting or close to exhausting the letter naming system the past couple of years.

The interesting part of the whole conversation is you are arguing whether we are experiencing climate change, after the climate changed.

It really is a religion.
Climate change is really Apocalypse Now. With raging wildfires, floods and pandemics, it seems like End Times — and it’s our own damned fault.Despite our best efforts, we are inheriting an era that might become irreversible and ultimately even uninhabitable for many. The pandemic, climate change, biodiversity loss and social upheaval may very well become the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, in ways we could never have envisioned.

The Hill

A rapture like cult.

What's your character in this?

It really is a religion.

The Hill

A rapture like cult.
It's more like a religion - mainstream and no single undisputed leader.

When I was a kid, that would be 60 years ago, it didn't rain in December, it snowed. The green grass went away, we got out our sleds and heavy clothes and didn't see grass again until April. It's warm and raining around here for a week but I see we're going to have low temps into the 20s again. I can hear the deniers already.

I think climate denial and covid denial travel together.

Back
Top Bottom