• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Most people probably fo not consciously realize our atmosphere is a thin shell around the Earth. Above 10,000 feet about 2 miles oxygen starts to get scarce.
Yeah. I fare well with altitude and in the summer I'm frequently above 10k without an issue--but it certainly makes a difference in how fast I can go. That final ascent to the Mt. Charleston summit doesn't look steep--but the summit is just below 12k, you really feel it!

Thats outstanding! I live at about 8k’ altitude, and any kind of exertion at 10k knocks me down real fast. I can see the summits of 4 or 5 “fourteeners” from my living room, and have only ever summited one - a walk-up.

Yeah. I fare well with altitude and in the summer I'm frequently above 10k without an issue--but it certainly makes a difference in how fast I can go. That final ascent to the Mt. Charleston summit doesn't look steep--but the summit is just below 12k, you really feel it!
Wow, and congratulations!

These days I don't even like to climb staircases unless there's a hand-rail to hold on to.
I've been having some knee problems recently that will limit me up there. Ironically, my knee won't complain about going up the mountain--but I'm going to come down pretty darn slowly. Hopefully the doc will have some solutions Tuesday.

Most people probably fo not consciously realize our atmosphere is a thin shell around the Earth. Above 10,000 feet about 2 miles oxygen starts to get scarce.

Thats outstanding! I live at about 8k’ altitude, and any kind of exertion at 10k knocks me down real fast. I can see the summits of 4 or 5 “fourteeners” from my living room, and have only ever summited one - a walk-up.
I don't do mountains that aren't walk-ups, but if it's a walk-up I'm interested.

Long’s Peak has some deceptively easy routes. I say deceptive because it seems a lot of people get complacent, then dead.
The peaks nearest me are the Collegiates, Shavano and Tebeguache. I’ve never been higher than I could ride a horse on any of them.

I believe the FAA requires oxygen above 10k feet.

Someone may complain about a neighbor's generator sending fumes into his house, but is complacent about his car's exhaust going into the atmosphere.

I believe the FAA requires oxygen above 10k feet.

Someone may complain about a neighbor's generator sending fumes into his house, but is complacent about his car's exhaust going into the atmosphere.
The FAA is playing is safe, ensuring that a pilot is not at all impaired. Furthermore, that's a standard for everyone--some of us fare better than others. I have a SIL that I would not take to the local 12k- summit even if she were capable of the hike--I know she doesn't fare too well with altitude. And I'm talking about a walk-up--nothing where a slight impairment to complex reaction time will matter.

There is also the issue of how fast you go up--the slower you go up the better off you will be. You'll have a lot more chance of success on climbing Kilimanjaro on the 9-day route than the 5-day route. In both cases the hardest day is exactly the same--the trails converge. It's that you spent an extra 4 days at high elevation.

Himalayan Sherpas and indigenous people in the Andes have genetic adaptations for high altitude living.

Maybe Loren has ancestors from the Himalayas or Andes.

If I were not reluctant to exacerbate this hijack, I would tout Jon Krakauer's very well-written book Into Thin Air. I know zero about climbing but still appreciated this true account of people who willingly placed themselves into a situation where survival was uncertain. The book is much better than the movie.

Himalayan Sherpas and indigenous people in the Andes have genetic adaptations for high altitude living.

Maybe Loren has ancestors from the Himalayas or Andes.
Genetics shows no such relatives. I don't think I'm that unusual--there are a lot of us who hike in the 10k'+ area in the summer. I have never gone up there without seeing someone else on the same trail.

In the 80s when living in Portalnd I used to go up n Mt hood with crampons and ice axe. Around 10k feet. I never felt it, but that s differnt tan living at 1ok feet or higher.

People in their 0s have summited Mt Rainer, about 14k feet..

The test woud be taking a cognitive and physical equity test at low altitude and at 10k feet after a day.

Or you can measure your level walking heart rate and blood oxygen level at low altitude and 10k feet to see how harder your heart is working. Meters are cheap and in drug stores. It would be a good experiment.

My heart efficiency metric is 30% insted of a typical; 80%. I would have a hard time at high altitude. I would not get enough O2 around my body.

In the 80s when living in Portalnd I used to go up n Mt hood with crampons and ice axe. Around 10k feet. I never felt it, but that s differnt tan living at 1ok feet or higher.

People in their 0s have summited Mt Rainer, about 14k feet..

The test woud be taking a cognitive and physical equity test at low altitude and at 10k feet after a day.

Or you can measure your level walking heart rate and blood oxygen level at low altitude and 10k feet to see how harder your heart is working. Meters are cheap and in drug stores. It would be a good experiment.

My heart efficiency metric is 30% insted of a typical; 80%. I would have a hard time at high altitude. I would not get enough O2 around my body.
Microspikes/snowshoes are my limit. If I need crampons it's too much. There have been times I've debated about an ice axe--but only as a tool to tame some of the remains in melt season, not for it's intended purpose.

I've never tried heart efficiency calculations. Trying to make an even comparison between low and high altitude heart rate would be basically impossible due to the lack of sufficient level ground at high altitude around here. I have noticed my max heart rate will go higher at sea level elevation even though it doesn't feel like I'm working as hard--which says to me that my perception of exertion is actually related to oxygen and not truly exertion.

I'm sure I would not perform as well on either a cognitive or physical test at high elevation--it's just I get no mountain sickness. My impression of Rainer is that it's too technical for me, but I'm hoping to someday do Whitney as a 2-day.

The Ministry of Truth (AKA BBC) caught telling fibs;

A BBC Panorama documentary about global warming made a number of false claims, an internal investigation by the broadcaster has found. The programme Wild Weather, presented by climate editor Justin Rowlatt, said deaths worldwide were rising due to extreme weather caused by climate change – whereas the opposite is true. It also claimed Madagascar was on the verge of the first famine caused by climate change – despite other factors being involved.

Rowlatt's sister is a rapture cultist and has been arrested for her eco warrior activities for extinction rebellion.

A BBC Panorama documentary about global warming made a number of false claims, an internal investigation by the broadcaster has found. The programme Wild Weather, presented by climate editor Justin Rowlatt, said deaths worldwide were rising due to extreme weather caused by climate change – whereas the opposite is true. It also claimed Madagascar was on the verge of the first famine caused by climate change – despite other factors being involved.

Rowlatt's sister is a rapture cultist and has been arrested for her eco warrior activities for extinction rebellion.
Well thank goodness this was exposed. Now we know that temperatures on Earth aren't increasing relatively quickly and sea levels aren't slowly increasing / warming.

What a relief, I will sleep much better now.

There are very few things that give me a restless night, mostly job related stuff. I have never once gone to bed and thought about "climate change". I've maybe gone to bed and thought, "It's going to be nice out tomorrow, I think I'll grill dinner." My swimming pool is warming up nicely, I think I could go swimming this weekend.

There are very few things that give me a restless night, mostly job related stuff. I have never once gone to bed and thought about "climate change". I've maybe gone to bed and thought, "It's going to be nice out tomorrow, I think I'll grill dinner." My swimming pool is warming up nicely, I think I could go swimming this weekend.

Were you planning to respond to my linked refutation of your claim that past predictions of climate change have been spectacularly wrong?

When you write something like the above, it makes me think you are a troll. Surely you understand the difference between weather and climate? Or no? Or do you pretend not to?

Links notably absent.

Back
Top Bottom