• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

It depends on how you deine apocalyptic.

In the news shallow water marine life on the NW coast are being cooked alive.

According to the UN food insecurity which was stedily decreasing is going back up. Drought, heta, and loss of crops.

The UW has predicted with falling snow paks the Columbia River will draw down. Sbow in winter melts, runss off to tte Colombia, amd [rvides wtaer for farming in eastern Washington and Oregon.

Decades back a govt report predicted we will no longer be a net agriculture exported.

Loss of water and food supplies is what, if not apocalyptical then what?

And who in credible science is claiming an impending immediate catastrophe? That sounds like a FOX News commentary. They find people with a science degree who is off the riails and quote the person as if it represents 'science'.

Climate modeling is base on the same science and math as routine weather and hurricane predictions. The forcast may say 140 mph winds and it is actualt 100 mph does not matter. There is still destruction.

Whether the temperature goes up 5 degrees or 10 digress is irrelevant, there will be disruptions. We are meaning a global temperature rise and observing consequences.

Exactly. Things will get slowly, and steadily worse. And in some parts of the world it's already a serious problem.

TSwizzle's a lot older than my one year old son, though, so not his problem.

And who in credible science is claiming an impending immediate catastrophe?

“Credible” ? Most of the reporting/studies on the upcoming catastrophes just aren’t credible. Sensationalist nonsense not based in science at all.
That sounds like a FOX News commentary..

Try reading The Gruaniad sometime.

Am I speaking to Tucker Carlson?

Not the Guardian, but I do listen to BBC reporting on how climate is affecting the poorer parts of the world amd first world as well

While I was never in involved in climate science I do kow thermodynamics and the math used for simulations. Are you familiar
with simulation techniques like finite elements? Or are you just one of the ignorant masses who are swayed by nonsense rhetoric.

A rhetorical question as the answer is manifest.

Cam yiu site specific studies that are questionable? Or are you just chanting the mantra of a climate hoax?

Obviously, the best time to raise an alarm is *after* the disaster hits. That way you can be 100% sure of your prediction. No one will believe you if you can’t predict it exactly.

Since every apocalyptical prediction has failed to materialize thus far, I'll risk it.

Just another seven years to save the planet again.

Rapture like cult.

The problem is the apocalyptic predictions you refer to not coming true were made by reporters, not scientists.

“Credible” ? Most of the reporting/studies on the upcoming catastrophes just aren’t credible. Sensationalist nonsense not based in science at all.

Try reading The Gruaniad sometime.

Am I speaking to Tucker Carlson?

Don’t be daft.

Not the Guardian, but I do listen to BBC reporting on how climate is affecting the poorer parts of the world amd first world as well

Oh ffs, the BBC is just as bad, possibly worse. Propaganda.

Exactly. Things will get slowly, and steadily worse. And in some parts of the world it's already a serious problem.

TSwizzle's a lot older than my one year old son, though, so not his problem.

Exactly. The climate problems are not likely to cause serious problems in the lifespan of most of the deniers. It's the same attitude of the people who drop trash on the trails--not my problem. (Can we have a firing squad for the subhuman who tossed a diaper beside the trail??)

Don’t be daft.

Oh ffs, the BBC is just as bad, possibly worse. Propaganda.

Trolling?

Did you know the metric system is a global conspiracy to usher in global government?

Do you uderstnd what goes into a simulation of a physical system?

If the weater report says next week it is going to rain would you go camping?

If you live on the east coast and a hurricane pits you in a probaility zone for landfall would yiu doubt it?

That and climate simulation are essentially the same.

Again any specific study yiu question? Or like my good buddy Tucker do you just troll making gross generalizations from ignorance.

Baffling why so many expect earth's climate to be static.

Climate change/crisis/emergency. A rapture like cult.

Carry on.

Good ole fashioned false dichotomy.
And he still hasn’t addressed my point that the reason we know the climate hasn’t been static is because of the work of climate scientists, who he also claims can’t be trusted. So which is it? Can’t have it both ways.

Baffling why so many expect earth's climate to be static.

Climate change/crisis/emergency. A rapture like cult.

Carry on.

Good ole fashioned false dichotomy.
And he still hasn’t addressed my point that the reason we know the climate hasn’t been static is because of the work of climate scientists, who he also claims can’t be trusted. So which is it? Can’t have it both ways.

Why not? Do you seriously think right-wing conspiracy theorists are bound by Aristotelian logic? I've posted about my friend who e-mailed me a (fake?) picture of corpses lying on the ground near a biological warfare lab in Wuhan, while also telling me that most Covid-19 deaths were actually due to the common flu.

the White Queen said:
Can't you? Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.
Alice said:
There's no use trying; one CAN'T believe impossible things.
I daresay you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Trolling?

Accusing someone of trolling is against the rules. But no, not trolling, the BBC is probably worse than Teh Gruaniad.

You still have not provided anything more than the usual anti climate science propaganda.

Post a link to a study or claim you feel is illegitimate and we will all discuss it rationally without personal attack item by item.

This is the science forum, not politcs.

The issue is how fast climate is charging, not that it is changing.

We know warming and cooling is cyclic. There have been green periods where the Sahara is.

Trolling?

Accusing someone of trolling is against the rules. But no, not trolling, the BBC is probably worse than Teh Gruaniad.

You still have not provided anything more than the usual anti climate science propaganda.

Post a link to a study or claim you feel is illegitimate and we will all discuss it rationally without personal attack item by item.

This is the science forum, not politcs.
I think that the problem here is that the climate apocalypse advocates that T.S. is referring to are not quoting scientific studies. Many are still citing some of the claims made in Al Gore's movie that have been debunked, if not just making up catastrophes on the fly. For example, Manhattan is still not underwater even though it is well past the time that Gore claimed that science predicted it would be flooded (science didn't predict such a thing but Gore claimed they did anyway). Then again anytime some rare local weather event happens, it is blamed on anthropogenic climate change even though it may have also happened a hundred years ago.

Yes, climate change is real. It is happening. But the knee jerk assertions and constant misappropriations of weather as climate change has become a religion for many.

Rather than challenging T.S. to produce and argue against some scientific climate study, perhaps you could produce an actual scientific climate study rather than citing local news broadcasts, politicians, or the BBC.

To be fair, he equates any talk on climate change with whacked out crazy talk.

Avg temp of Earth could increase 5 degrees in 50 yrs and he’d just say ‘we can’t know for certain it didn’t happen naturally’.

To be fair, he equates any talk on climate change with whacked out crazy talk.

Avg temp of Earth could increase 5 degrees in 50 yrs and he’d just say ‘we can’t know for certain it didn’t happen naturally’.

It is happening naturally. There isn't anything unnatural or supernatural that I can see in the process. That doesn't mean it's good or desirable but it sure as fuck is pretty damn natural.

What's unnatural about extracting coal or gas or oil and then burning it? It's perfectly natural. Bacteria changed the atmosphere eons ago and caused the free iron to rust. Now we mine the iron. Anything unnatural about any of that?

The right wing is nuts about their belief that people are not part of nature, that we're special, that we get to rule and can disconnect from things "natural," that we came from magic. You're actually agreeing with them. Bubonic plague and polio are as natural as tsunamis and cesspools. But I don't think right wing idiots want to cozy up to any of those things either. Don't give them ammunition by saying the temperature rise isn't "natural." It sure as fuck is.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-w...flooding-earth-sea-level-rise-climate-change/

A new study from NASA and the University of Hawaii, published recently in the journal Nature Climate Change, warns that upcoming changes in the moon's orbit could lead to record flooding on Earth in the next decade.

Through mapping the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) sea-level rise scenarios, flooding thresholds and astronomical cycles, researchers found flooding in American coastal cities could be several multiples worse in the 2030s, when the next moon "wobble" is expected to begin. They expect the flooding to significantly damage infrastructure and displace communities.

Professor Ed Hawkins at the University of Reading has published a neat tool that graphs temperature anomaly (using average temperature 1971-2000 as the baseline) for a huge number of regions and territories. These graphs are allowed for any use under a CC-BY 4.0 license, as long as the author and institution are credited, and a link to the source (https://showyourstripes.info) is included.

IMG_6095.PNG

There are some very worrying regional variations. The Arctic is warming at a tremendous rate:

IMG_6097.PNG

But perhaps more unfortunate, at least in political terms, is that the least affected region in the world seems to be the US Republican heartland states.

IMG_6096.PNG

The warming trend is still there, but in that Southern region of the US, it's very weak, and probably not very noticeable. Texas (above), Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia... all show only slight warming trends, swamped by annual variation.

Pretty much everywhere else (and particularly in the higher latitudes), the trend is stark. Winter is not coming.

Like with the coronavirus at the start of the pandemic, the southern states could ignore the problem because it was happening somewhere else, to people they didn’t care about.

In the news Lake Powell is drying up. It supplies hydro power to about 5 million people.

Smaller things adding up.

Back
Top Bottom