• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN- Jim Acosta's Press Pass Restored

45 is talking about instituting rules for decorum by the press. One question, no interrupting, etc. Which is a good idea.
President Trump wants to institute rules for proper behavior?!

There simply isn't a ROFL icon large enough for such a suggestion.

The judge ruled that the press pass at least temporarily will be restored under a restraining order.

It seems to me that the issue of freedom of the press is being determined by the courts. I think this is a big win.

Mods if this seems duplicative of the other thread - please delete.

What? "Freedom of the press" entitles me to a White House press pass? That seems pretty nutty.

Why does it seem nutty? According to Free Speech Warriors, that's exactly what should happen no matter what someone's opinion is. Also our law is supposed to be based on freedom of speech/the press, in case you didn't notice.

Donald Orwell Trump's new white house rules for press "decorum" :

All questions asked to the president must be submitted to one Sean Hannity who will check them for "decorum" and ask the "revised" questions to the president at a time and place "convenient" for the president.

The judge ruled that the press pass at least temporarily will be restored under a restraining order.

It seems to me that the issue of freedom of the press is being determined by the courts. I think this is a big win.

Mods if this seems duplicative of the other thread - please delete.

What? "Freedom of the press" entitles me to a White House press pass? That seems pretty nutty.

Why does it seem nutty? According to Free Speech Warriors, that's exactly what should happen no matter what someone's opinion is. Also our law is supposed to be based on freedom of speech/the press, in case you didn't notice.

Freedom of speech means the government can’t arrest you for speaking. Freedom of the press means the government can’t stop you from having a press. Neither is relevant to whether someone is entitled to a White House press pass.

45 is talking about instituting rules for decorum by the press. One question, no interrupting, etc. Which is a good idea.

Will he also "institute a rule" that he and Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the rest of them will answer that questions put to them, and do so honestly?

Of course not.

Fuck Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

President Trump wants to institute rules for proper behavior?!

There simply isn't a ROFL icon large enough for such a suggestion.

^^^ That

Freedom of speech means the government can’t arrest you for speaking. Freedom of the press means the government can’t stop you from having a press. Neither is relevant to whether someone is entitled to a White House press pass.

That's nice. But the issue at hand is having one's pass revoked.

That is a very incomplete understanding. Freedom of speech is limited. The government can certainly arrest you for "speaking" (threats - it's called verbal assault)... yelling "bomb" in an airport (that's pretty close to terrorism).
Freedom of the press isn't just "can have a press"... it also means (and says right there in the constitution you apparently haven't read) that the president is ACCOUNTABLE to the press. So, whatever mechanism is in place for that, it means that he isn't the one that makes any rules about restricting it... he simply must comply one way or the other.

News reports say as soon as the temporary court order expires next week, Acosta's pass will again be revoked.

Not in and of itself but in combination with other things (just as everything else in real life), it's a relevant thing. So, for example, favoritism of press organizations that positively cover an authoritarian dictator by allowing them on govt property but disallowing legitimate press organizations from that same govt property is a free press issue.

Would you be fine with a leftist government prohibiting conservative press at the White House?

Would you be fine with a leftist government prohibiting conservative press at the White House?

The most reasonable argument I have heard in favor of Acosta is that the government may not engage in viewpoint discrimination when it issues press passes. And I am inclined to agree that it shouldn't.

However, it stretches way past the bounds of reason to claim that is what is happening here. Acosta is not having his pass revoked because of his viewpoint, but because of his behavior.

The most reasonable argument I have heard in favor of Acosta is that the government may not engage in viewpoint discrimination when it issues press passes. And I am inclined to agree that it shouldn't.

However, it stretches way past the bounds of reason to claim that is what is happening here. Acosta is not having his pass revoked because of his viewpoint, but because of his behavior.

Should Trump have his speaking privileges revoked because of his behavior?

I keep hearing from certain people about Acosta's behavior. Let's get specific. What did he actually do? He obviously didn't engage in any kind of physical violence, doctored obvious video aside. Let's also keep in mind that if we're talking about decorum, there's A MEGATON FUCKLOAD of hypocrisy going on here with regards to how the president treats these reporters.

I keep hearing from certain people about Acosta's behavior. Let's get specific. What did he actually do? He obviously didn't engage in any kind of physical violence, doctored obvious video aside. Let's also keep in mind that if we're talking about decorum, there's A MEGATON FUCKLOAD of hypocrisy going on here with regards to how the president treats these reporters.

The fact that they had to even go to the lengths to doctor the video means they have no argument.

Should Trump have his speaking privileges revoked because of his behavior?

If the electorate does the revoking in 2020, I guess.

Of course the antics of people like Acosta might just get him re-elected.

And even if he loses, Trump can still speak. He just can't hold press conferences in the White House.

He bogarted the mic. You don't get an infinite number of questions. You don't get to refuse to pass the mic when your turn is over.

He also interrupts the next questioner.

Apparently you haven't clued in on this important fact: It's Trump's press conference. He gets to decide what behavior is and isn't acceptable. If Acosta wants to be the decider he can start having press conferences in his living room.

Apparently you haven't clued in on this important fact: It's Trump's press conference. He gets to decide what behavior is and isn't acceptable. If Acosta wants to be the decider he can start having press conferences in his living room.

And when Trump has press conferences in his living room, he'd be able to decide that. So long as he's a public employee having press conferences in a taxpayer funded room, there are rules he needs to operate by just like every other employee has to.

Back
Top Bottom