• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN- Jim Acosta's Press Pass Restored

What annoys me is that Acosta's story got all the attention when personally I think something else even more interesting happened at that press conference.

I am not sure why that annoys you, but you are correct about the conference and incorrect about the downstream consequences. That is, Acosta got press credentials removed for WH but the earlier person did not.

What annoys me is that Acosta's story got all the attention when personally I think something else even more interesting happened at that press conference.

I am not sure why that annoys you, but you are correct about the conference and incorrect about the downstream consequences. That is, Acosta got press credentials removed for WH but the earlier person did not.

What do you think is the other thing that happened is and who do you think the earlier person is?

Not quite.

White House restores Jim Acosta's press pass, but institutes new rules for journalists

But the White House also instituted new rules for journalists at press conferences, claiming it has the right to suspend or revoke a journalist's credentials if they fail to follow any of the rules. Those three rules include: a journalist called upon to ask a question will ask a single question and then yield the floor; a follow-up question will be permitted at the discretion of the president or the White House and then the journalist must yield the floor; and "yielding the floor" includes if necessary physically surrendering the microphone, according to White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

Not quite.

White House restores Jim Acosta's press pass, but institutes new rules for journalists

But the White House also instituted new rules for journalists at press conferences, claiming it has the right to suspend or revoke a journalist's credentials if they fail to follow any of the rules. Those three rules include: a journalist called upon to ask a question will ask a single question and then yield the floor; a follow-up question will be permitted at the discretion of the president or the White House and then the journalist must yield the floor; and "yielding the floor" includes if necessary physically surrendering the microphone, according to White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

when I first read this^ I saw 2 rules and an explanation... still do to some extent...
anyone else?

Would you be fine with a leftist government prohibiting conservative press at the White House?

The most reasonable argument I have heard in favor of Acosta is that the government may not engage in viewpoint discrimination when it issues press passes. And I am inclined to agree that it shouldn't.

However, it stretches way past the bounds of reason to claim that is what is happening here. Acosta is not having his pass revoked because of his viewpoint, but because of his behavior.

Should Trump have his speaking privileges revoked because of his behavior?

please please please please yes!

Not quite.

He thinks he is setting it up for him to revoke access to CNN and others, but I believe he will soon find that he can't.

All it will take is for a single Fox reporter to be allowed to ask a single follow up question without immediately losing their press pass, and this entire Trump charade will be shown for the attempted 'freedom of the press' violation it is.

Back
Top Bottom