• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Coal miners refuse retraining because Trump promised to bring back coal jobs

They seem to know how to maximize personal gain and satisfaction, even if they have nothing to show for it. Being right is about being right. And when you're right you're right and nothing anyone says can make you wrong when you know you're right.

There.

In other words, they would rather watch their families starve than admit that they are wrong. :(
The counties mentioned in that article are right next door. The article does not openly state that these folks hate blacks, Obama and liberals. Presently they can afford to do that, however, because liberal democratic statewide initiatives will not let their stupidity and racism cause them to starve. I've met lots of them casually and work with their ilk. Their blinding hatred and ignorance borders on a psychiatric disability.

I've met lots of them casually and work with their ilk. Their blinding hatred and ignorance borders on a psychiatric disability.
The truth is, miners may be selected for these traits. They are not bad people, it's just what they are, trying to retrain them could be hopeless.

I don't think these people 'deserve' what they're getting and it honestly depresses me to see people be undone by a con artist they put faith and trust in. It might be easy for you all to think "A fool and his money..." But remember that works both ways. You can't ask that people give a damn about the downtrodden and then exalt in schadenfreude when the downtrodden are taken advantage of.

The thing is these downtrodden are trodding on themselves at this point.

I've met lots of them casually and work with their ilk. Their blinding hatred and ignorance borders on a psychiatric disability.
The truth is, miners may be selected for these traits. They are not bad people, it's just what they are, trying to retrain them could be hopeless.

They're self-selected for those traits, among others.
The sad truth is that people who work with their hands have been steadily losing the ability to support themselves for a very long time, and that trend will only continue.

I don't think these people 'deserve' what they're getting and it honestly depresses me to see people be undone by a con artist they put faith and trust in. It might be easy for you all to think "A fool and his money..."
Well, the right wing is also against those protections too.
But remember that works both ways. You can't ask that people give a damn about the downtrodden and then exalt in schadenfreude when the downtrodden are taken advantage of.
I take absolutely no joy in this. I support the hundred million plus that gets spent in these areas to help the local populations survive and become sustainable. I do not support these people's claims that the Government has "forgotten" them or the Democrats are to blame for the demise of these areas because of willful ignorance.

They seem to know how to maximize personal gain and satisfaction, even if they have nothing to show for it. Being right is about being right. And when you're right you're right and nothing anyone says can make you wrong when you know you're right.

There.

In other words, they would rather watch their families starve than admit that they are wrong. :(
The counties mentioned in that article are right next door. The article does not openly state that these folks hate blacks, Obama and liberals. Presently they can afford to do that, however, because liberal democratic statewide initiatives will not let their stupidity and racism cause them to starve. I've met lots of them casually and work with their ilk. Their blinding hatred and ignorance borders on a psychiatric disability.

Ouch. Hard to feel any sympathy for hateful idiots who refuse help.

My great-grandparents came to the USA to work in the mines. They did everything they could to keep their children out. Voting for someone to help miners go back underground would have been inexplicable to them.

My great-grandparents came to the USA to work in the mines. They did everything they could to keep their children out. Voting for someone to help miners go back underground would have been inexplicable to them.

Elitist! You probably think Obama is an American, don't you? Admit it!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom