• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Columbia University is colluding with the far-right in its attack on students

I think it's a reference to university presidents caving to political pressure from congress,
On the contrary, universities are caving to the political pressure from the occupiers.

Not at the time the article was written...

currently led by right-wing crazies.
Really?

Yes, Mike Johnson and the GOP crazies are crazy.

Basically, they keep their jobs by getting tough, calling in police, destroying free speech.
There is no free speech right to occupy university grounds, or to disrupt functioning of a university so that it has to move all instruction online.

Most of those claims were bullshit.

There is certainly no free speech right to break and enter into university buildings.

Most of that escalation happened after police were brought in, and after the article was written.

Last edited:
The greatest moral violation, apparently: falsely accusing someone of wanting to kill thousands of children, when they actually just don't care very much whether hundreds of children are killed tertiary to their political goals. The outrage! How can we have a civil society when a mass murderer can't even take down five or six kids in ten minutes without having their motives questioned by the morality police? In public! It's just not polite.
As apologetics for pious fraud go, pointing out that some moral violations are greater than the one you committed is probably the very best thing that can be said in its defense. So, congratulations, I guess.
My point is not that mass killing is worse than lying, though of course it is, but that when someone commits a mass killing, that is an entirely reasonable occasion to question their motivations and moral sense, even if they insist that they "feel" like a golden saint who would never harm a fly. Slaughtering children is an anti-social and dangerous behavior, and stemming that behavior is more important than avoiding "rude questions".

Kids, kids, let's stop fighting! There's plenty of evil to go around.
There are still some 20,000 Hamas combatants out there running running about.
The IDF valiantly took out 2 (count 'em - TWO!) of them last night, and only killed about 40 civilians, some burned alive.
Note that most of the Palestinian deaths were due to secondaries. Israel hit the commanders, something on the ground made a big fire. When that happens it's almost always because there was fuel or munitions there. And Israel has no way of predicting secondaries.

Israel has no way of predicting secondaries.
Oh. I guess it’s fine, then.
Secondaries.
Tough shit.
Guess y’all aren’t all that short on fuel, eh Gaza terrorists? One little bomb, and you all burned up. Not our fault!!

Fuck Bibi. He will kill as many people as he can get away with. Show me otherwise.

The IDF valiantly took out 2 (count 'em - TWO!) of them last night, and only killed about 40 civilians, some burned alive.
Note that most of the Palestinian deaths were due to secondaries. Israel hit the commanders, something on the ground made a big fire. When that happens it's almost always because there was fuel or munitions there. And Israel has no way of predicting secondaries.
Oh, good lord. :rolleyes:

Is there anything the IDF does that you will pull out a hand waved excuse? That is a serious question.

Secondaries.
Tough shit.
Guess y’all aren’t all that short on fuel, eh Gaza terrorists? One little bomb, and you all burned up. Not our fault!!

Fuck Bibi. He will kill as many people as he can get away with. Show me otherwise.

Is there anything the IDF does that you will pull out a hand waved excuse? That is a serious question.
Three replies attacking me, none of them addressing the fundamental issue: this was a combination of bad luck and Hamas bringing weapons into civilian areas.

Saying they shouldn't have taken the shot is to say that Israel should accept that they will be subject to a slow genocide. It's your side that handwaves away the ugly reality of the situation that there is nothing resembling a good solution.

Secondaries.
Tough shit.

Three replies attacking me, none of them addressing the fundamental issue: this was a combination of bad luck and Hamas bringing weapons into civilian areas.

Saying they shouldn't have taken the shot is to say that Israel should accept that they will be subject to a slow genocide. It's your side that handwaves away the ugly reality of the situation that there is nothing resembling a good solution.
The replies attack your position for its sociopathic bs. The “nothing is a good solution so anything the IDF does is better than anything else” is ridiculous.

The “slow genocide” mantra is truly ironic because the scale of death and destruction resulting from the IDF dwarfs what Hamas was capable of before the start of the latest tragedy. The “slow genocide” claim appears much closer to the “Every accusation is a confession” than a cogent analysis.

To make what is being protested more real:
It's funny how IDF is attacked for targeting two senior Hamas commanders, US is attacked for supplying the weapons, but for to these protesters it is fine that Hamas commanders hiding among the civilian population with explosives. :rolleyesa:
IDF says hidden store of terror munitions may have caused deadly Rafah blaze

Btw, whether they realize it or not, this is whose water they are carrying.
Khamenei welcomes US student protesters into ‘Resistance Front’ terror alliance

It's funny how IDF is attacked for targeting two senior Hamas commanders,

That isn't why.

US is attacked for supplying the weapons,

Yes for being complicit for decades, that's the claim anyway.

but for to these protesters it is fine that Hamas commanders hiding among the civilian population with explosives. :rolleyesa:
IDF says hidden store of terror munitions may have caused deadly Rafah blaze

I doubt this is okay with all protesters, sure, the ones who claim to like Hamas, but I doubt all of them. Many people support human rights orgs and the ICC/ICJ which criticize both Hamas and the right wing govt of Israel. How many of those people are in protests is not clear, but as I've said, I'd like to see more of that.

Btw, whether they realize it or not, this is whose water they are carrying.
Khamenei welcomes US student protesters into ‘Resistance Front’ terror alliance

So the GOP, you, and Khamenei all want the protesters in Gaza.

Last edited:

Depressing and frustrating. Biden is trying to please both sides and failing to please either.
A better way to put it is Biden is trying allow Israel the right to defend itself, while trying to manage the humanitarian aspect and the Gazan's right to exist. Hamas has every right to be smooshed out. But the territorial constraints (as well as foreign contributions) make this a near impossible balancing act, especially when the guy running Israel is a moron.

territorial constraints (as well as foreign contributions) make this a near impossible balancing act, especially when the guy running Israel is a moron clinging to the office to keep himself out of jail
FIFY.
Personally I think Bibi is no less of a sociopath than Trump or Putin. All three are 100% in it for themselves.

It's funny how IDF is attacked for targeting two senior Hamas commanders,
That isn't why.
Of course it is. The protester do not want Israel defending itself from Hamas and other terrorists. Remember how they were demanding a "ceasefire" by Israel as early as 10/7?
Yes for being complicit for decades, that's the claim anyway.
"Complicit" with helping Israel defend itself from terrorists. Just like US is "complicit" in helping Ukraine defend itself from Russian aggression.
I doubt this is okay with all protesters, sure, the ones who claim to like Hamas, but I doubt all of them.
Any protesters who do not like Hamas are doing fuck all to distance themselves from the "We are all Hamas, bitch" contingent.
Many people support human rights orgs and the ICC/ICJ which criticize both Hamas and the right wing govt of Israel. How many of those people are in protests is not clear, but as I've said, I'd like to see more of that.
ICC/ICJ are employing false equivalence between aggressor and victim.
So the GOP, you, and Khamenei all want the protesters in Gaza.
The ayatollah doesn't want them to go to Gaza. He wants them to fight against the Great Satan from the inside.

Not at the time the article was written...
Maybe not, but it did not take them long to fold like a cheap suit.

Yes, Mike Johnson and the GOP crazies are crazy.
Not more so than the likes of Rashida Tlaib who has been calling Biden a "genocide enabler" at a PFLP-sponsored conference in Detroit.

Most of those claims were bullshit.
There have been many cases where protesters have disrupted university operations. For example, recently in Detroit:
Wayne State classes move online as pro-Palestine encampment continues
The encampment has just been removed though.
Police dismantle pro-Palestinian camp at Wayne State University in Detroit
Several people were arrested, including one for assaulting a police officer. I doubt any of them will be prosecuted (or at the most, given a slap on the wrist) because the Wayne County DA is yet another fauxgressive.

Most of that escalation happened after police were brought in, and after the article was written.
Police showing up to campus because some people are illegally occupying the grounds does not justify these protesters escalating by breaking and entering into university buildings and damaging property therein.

Last edited:
Secondaries.
Tough shit.

The replies attack your position for its sociopathic bs. The “nothing is a good solution so anything the IDF does is better than anything else” is ridiculous.
And, once again, not addressing the point at all. BTW, more info on it: looks like they hit a building rather than a jeep. The problem is still secondaries, though.

The “slow genocide” mantra is truly ironic because the scale of death and destruction resulting from the IDF dwarfs what Hamas was capable of before the start of the latest tragedy. The “slow genocide” claim appears much closer to the “Every accusation is a confession” than a cogent analysis.
And once again you completely do not address the issue.

As for genocide of the Palestinians--do you realize that their population has almost certainly increased during the war?

Depressing and frustrating. Biden is trying to please both sides and failing to please either.
A better way to put it is Biden is trying allow Israel the right to defend itself, while trying to manage the humanitarian aspect and the Gazan's right to exist. Hamas has every right to be smooshed out. But the territorial constraints (as well as foreign contributions) make this a near impossible balancing act, especially when the guy running Israel is a moron.
You say it's a balancing act, but you always choose Hamas' side. Israel hit Hamas commanders, there turned out to be munitions stored there.

If Israel is in the wrong you just gave total victory to Hamas. Simply equip their vehicles with big charges and they can act with impunity. Nobody ever adequately addressed the baby-in-a-vest problem.

Back
Top Bottom