• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Columbia University is colluding with the far-right in its attack on students

The are racist religious bigots who want Jews to die, and it appears the crackdown on the peaceful student protests at Columbia has attracted some of them to the campus gates.
The Hamas supporters are sticking their heads in the sand about Jews dying.

I disagree.

Hamas supporters presumably know enough about Hamas to have a good idea what it is and what it does.

People who advocate for peace in Gaza, people who oppose Zionist expansion in the West Bank, people who call themselves pro-human rights, are typically conflated with Hamas supporters by you and a few others around here, presumably for rhetorical reasons. And even then, that doesn't mean peace advocates are sticking their heads in the sand about anyone dying.

Jews for Peace are not anti-Semitic, and people calling for a ceasefire in Gaza followed by a genuine, equitable, enforceable peace treaty between the Israelis and the Palestinians aren't saying Israel should surrender.
The problem is that they see Israel as the barrier to such an agreement and thus the "solution" is always Israeli concessions. Never mind that the driving force is the existence of Israel. It's the fallacy of thinking there must be a good answer.

Support your claim that Jews for Peace see Israel as a barrier to a genuine, equitable, enforceable peace treaty, rather than seeing certain political factions and a certain Israeli Prime Minister as the barriers.

Heck, just show us what you found when you looked into Jews for Peace. What sources did you use?
Conflating everyone who has ever criticized a policy Netanyahu or his political mentors have supported with Nazis is absurd, but some folks appear to genuinely think there are only two options: pro-Zionist or anti-Semitic.
They aren't knowingly agreeing with the Nazis, but they are in effect saying don't take any action against the Nazis other than in immediate self defense. That's de facto support of the Nazis even though that is not their intention.
Do you honestly believe criticizing Netanyahu and his political mentors is the same as supporting Nazis?

I'm asking because I suspect it's just bullshit and blather, but if you're serious I'm gonna show you some Nazi supporting articles from the largest news outlet in Israel. Nobody supports Nazis like the Israelis, amirite?

It may mean that. But in world with nuanced thinking, it may be an example of excessive rhetoric attempting to show solidarity with Gaza or Hamas. It is only a clear threat to those who wish to see statements attacking their beliefs or views as clear threat.
I disagree that Gaza and Hamas are synonyms. Saying one is with Hamas is very ugly. It means they support violence against Israel. It can mean nothing else in the context of someone in America saying it. Much like defending someone who says they are with Mussolini potentially meaning they like the train schedule working out.

I don't think it is a threat, but it can easily cross the line into the territory of anti-Israel / anti-Semitic.
As you say, they are not synonyms even though from a political standpoint they are effectively interchangeable.
*spit take*
When you are talking about the actions of the group they are the same thing. The pseudo-country Gaza and Hamas are interchangeable terms as we typically do not distinguish the actions of the government of a country from the actions of the country. We say "Russia" invaded Ukraine even though it's obviously the direction of Putin and says nothing about how the people stand on it. "Gazan" and "Hamas" are not as not all individuals support the actions of their country.
And yet we don't blame all Russian people for the actions of Putin. And I think it's untrue that Hamas cannot be separated from innocent Gazan citizens.
Especially when more than half of Gazan citizens are children.

It may mean that. But in world with nuanced thinking, it may be an example of excessive rhetoric attempting to show solidarity with Gaza or Hamas. It is only a clear threat to those who wish to see statements attacking their beliefs or views as clear threat.
I disagree that Gaza and Hamas are synonyms. Saying one is with Hamas is very ugly. It means they support violence against Israel. It can mean nothing else in the context of someone in America saying it. Much like defending someone who says they are with Mussolini potentially meaning they like the train schedule working out.

I don't think it is a threat, but it can easily cross the line into the territory of anti-Israel / anti-Semitic.
As you say, they are not synonyms even though from a political standpoint they are effectively interchangeable.
*spit take*
When you are talking about the actions of the group they are the same thing. The pseudo-country Gaza and Hamas are interchangeable terms as we typically do not distinguish the actions of the government of a country from the actions of the country. We say "Russia" invaded Ukraine even though it's obviously the direction of Putin and says nothing about how the people stand on it. "Gazan" and "Hamas" are not as not all individuals support the actions of their country.
And yet we don't blame all Russian people for the actions of Putin. And I think it's untrue that Hamas cannot be separated from innocent Gazan citizens.
Especially when more than half of Gazan citizens are children.
As well as more than a third of the casualties. Israel has killed 2% of the children in the Gaza strip in a matter of months, more than 13,500 dead and many tens of thousands more slowly dying of injuries or malnourishment. None of them were ever given a choice whether or not to align with Hamas, nor a voice in what Hamas chose to do. Because they were children.

How many Jews have died at the hand of Hamas since December 7th?

And what is your endgame here? What conditions will you accept for the IDF to stop their campaign?

Maine

New Hampshire

Maine

New Hampshire

Ceasfire?

Interesting thing is that I'm seeing small numbers. What, 100 at UNH, a couple dozen at Maryland, a few at New Mexico, two dozen at Atlanta. There aren't that many protesting. With all the links, you'd swear this was a huge national movement, but it seems to be more of an article aggregation of very small protests at campuses across the country.
How many Jews have died at the hand of Hamas since December 7th?

And what is your endgame here? What conditions will you accept for the IDF to stop their campaign?
Indeed. One issue with Loren's position is he is a tad bit unclear on what it actually is. He seems against one state, two state, any number of states.

Maine

New Hampshire

Ceasfire?

Interesting thing is that I'm seeing small numbers. What, 100 at UNH, a couple dozen at Maryland, a few at New Mexico, two dozen at Atlanta. There aren't that many protesting. With all the links, you'd swear this was a huge national movement, but it seems to be more of an article aggregation of very small protests at campuses across the country.

Yup. Some of the activist encampment groups are small. Walkouts are bigger. A majority of Americans now favor a ceasefire. But the agenda of encampments is going beyond that and requires a lot of time investment.

Speaking of which, I looked at Ohio state photos. Theirs wasn't huge, it was not close to classes, and not blocking walkways. Kind of like the MIT one. Arresting them seems a bit unreasonable, no?

Part of the reason for the proliferation of campus protests is solidarity with the "first wave" of arrested protesters. Another reason is the end of the semester letting off steam.

My point is that much of this would have been avoided if the kneejerk temptation to placate the goosesteppers had been tempered with some good judgment. Once these protests started, the university administrators are placed in a no win position.

So much for the assertion that it's just "outside agitators" and that the Columbia students themselves are not that bad.

Student Protest Leader at Columbia: ‘Zionists Don’t Deserve to Live’

NY Times said:
The student, Khymani James, said in the January video that “Zionists don’t deserve to live” and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”[...]The hearing, conducted by an associate director of the university’s Center for Student Success and Intervention, was focused on an earlier comment he shared on social media, in which he discussed fighting a Zionist. “I don’t fight to injure or for there to be a winner or a loser, I fight to kill,” he wrote.
Truly vile.
In his biography on X, he calls himself an “anticapitalist” and “anti-imperialist.”
Mr. James was raised in Boston, and graduated from Boston Latin Academy, according to a 2021 interview with The Bay State Banner.
He told The Banner that at Columbia, he planned to study economics and political science. “The ultimate destination is Congress,” he said.
He'd fit in well as a member of the Squad. :rolleyesa:

So much for the assertion that it's just "outside agitators" and that the Columbia students themselves are not that bad.
Clearly there appears to be outside agitators. The on goings inside the campus are much harder to confirm due to press access on private campuses.
Student Protest Leader at Columbia: ‘Zionists Don’t Deserve to Live’
NY Times said:
The student, Khymani James, said in the January video that “Zionists don’t deserve to live” and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”[...]The hearing, conducted by an associate director of the university’s Center for Student Success and Intervention, was focused on an earlier comment he shared on social media, in which he discussed fighting a Zionist. “I don’t fight to injure or for there to be a winner or a loser, I fight to kill,” he wrote.
Truly vile.
Certainly not a good thing to say, to put it mildly.
article said:
Mr. James made the comments during and after a disciplinary hearing with Columbia administrators that he recorded and then posted on Instagram.
Sounds like he said some bad shit, and the school called him up on it.

More recently...
article said:
Early Friday morning, Mr. James posted a statement on social media addressing his comments. “What I said was wrong,” he wrote. “Every member of our community deserves to feel safe without qualification.” He noted that he made these comments in January before he become involved with the protest movement and added that the leaders of the student protests did not condone the comments. “I agree with their assessment,” he wrote.
Hard to tell whether he is bS'ing or whether he learned from his naive and hateful remarks. Hopefully he did and he grew... unlike other people.

A majority of Americans now favor a ceasefire.
That's kind of those polls that find that majority of Americans are in favor of this or that lofty goal without considering how to get there or any downsides.
What would "ceasefire" mean concretely? Hamas refuses a ceasefire without a long laundry list of demands (as if they were winning the war on the ground) that includes release of >1000 terrorists from Israeli prisons. Including many serving life sentences.
Any ceasefire with Hamas would last only as long as they don't decide to renege and attack Israel again. There was a ceasefire in effect on 10/6/2023 after all. What good did it do anybody?

But the agenda of encampments is going beyond that and requires a lot of time investment.
No kidding. The agenda of the encampments is extremist.

Clearly there appears to be outside agitators. The on goings inside the campus are much harder to confirm due to press access on private campuses.
Of course there are outside agitators as well. But recently "it's all outside agitators" was used as a magic phrase to deflect from the Columbia students themselves.

Hard to tell whether he is bS'ing or whether he learned from his naive and hateful remarks. Hopefully he did and he grew... unlike other people.
Not really. He is obviously BSing. Hopefully Columbia doesn't fall for his schtick.

He'd also fit in well with the Teaparty.
He sounds more than a little like our old friend NightHawkBuzz.

He wants to be in Congress so he can enforce his way of doing things.
Tom

He'd also fit in well with the Teaparty.
How do you figure?
Ayanna Pressley is his mentor, not Marjorie Taylor Greene.
GMEeIgAbEAAl2qz

He sounds more than a little like our old friend NightHawkBuzz.
Who? Is he also an "anti-capitalist" and "anti-imperialist" etc.?
GMGOkhOW4AAf_h9.jpg

He wants to be in Congress so he can enforce his way of doing things.
Don't they all?

Back
Top Bottom