• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Come Hell or High Water: You go, Milo!

Hey, excellent idea! I may report laughing dog to the mods, if this continues.

Just put him on ignore. He's a known troll here. He's always posting to attack people instead of topics. Now lets stop doing the same here and lets get back on track. Maybe a mod can step in and clean all this up.

The topic here is free speech and Milo's recent stunt. I haven't heard much aftermath from this, other than some interviews Sargon of Akkad did and some Lauren Southern did, because they actually travelled there for this "event" that turned out to be nothing more than a brief Milo appearance.

Hey, excellent idea! I may report laughing dog to the mods, if this continues.

Just put him on ignore. He's a known troll here. He's always posting to attack people instead of topics. Now lets stop doing the same here and lets get back on track. Maybe a mod can step in and clean all this up.
The irony of this remark is remarkable.
The topic here is free speech and Milo's recent stunt. I haven't heard much aftermath from this, other than some interviews Sargon of Akkad did and some Lauren Southern did, because they actually travelled there for this "event" that turned out to be nothing more than a brief Milo appearance.
Which suggests that all this chest-beating about Uc Berkeley suppressing speech it does not like was ideologically driven, not based on fact.

When people exercise discretion while doing their job, they often use their ideology and preferences in making their choice. Why is it you do not know that?

They may have different ideologies as part of human nature etc, but what evidence is there of this where it has had a detrimental and abundant impact on their actions.
Exhibit A:
636420396536354719-_Full_Size_Render.jpg

Exhibit B:
all_lives_splatter.png

Exhibit C:
springfield-police-officer-mocks-protesters-run-down-by-car-in-c.png

What we can conclude is that many police officers do indeed possess certain ideological biases and that they will, in fact, act on those biases if they believe that doing so carries no negative consequences. Since police work often shields officers from those consequences, we can further conclude that bias that accelerates the use of force, illegal searches, or the use of lethal action to subdue a suspect or force compliance, are not only valid possibilities but should be EXPECTED.

The problem with protests is they take place and make accusations prior to due process.

The protests were in the first place a reaction to the victims of police shootings not being given due process in the first place and being denied justice -- or even a genuine attempt to seek justice -- for their deaths. Each new protest is not so much a statement on the current situation, but reflects the protestors (not entirely incorrect) view that the CURRENT situation was in part caused by the lack of decisive response to the LAST one.

It's like if one of your relatives has a gambling problem and you make him swear not to gamble ever again. And he agrees, promises, says "I have a small problem, but it's under control. Trust me." You tell him "Go see a counselor!" and he says "Done! I'll go in tomorrow!" Two months later he shows up at your house broke and homeless because he bet everything he had on a horse race. "Didn't you promise you'd stop? Didn't you see a counselor?"

That's why people are pissed off. They're pissed off because it happened, yes, but mostly they're pissed off because they don't want it happen AGAIN and THIS time they want something to actually be done to change things.

Back to the op: I am still waiting for people such as yourself to admit Milo trolled this whole situation. It's already been documented in thread...

Scroll up. I stated I don't pretend to know one way or another whether this was a ruse by Milo. He may have done it for a photo-op or to advertise his book/tour, or he may have done it to draw out the regressives (which doesn't take much), or he may have actually wanted to bring out some free speech on campus and some diversity of views. Either way it highlights a very real issue, and something like he tried to do (or pretended to try to do) would be nice to see actually happen. And it still may.

We did it here in Toronto last year. Check this out. Skip to the one minute mark or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxg2gxcODc&t=7s

This was during the Jurdan Peterson outrage rallies of mindless screaming regressives, and some brave smart students standing up and speaking out. Also note where the violence comes from at the end.

Just put him on ignore. He's a known troll here.

No, he's not.

Maybe a mod can step in and clean all this up.

A mod will clean up your post.

Back to the op: I am still waiting for people such as yourself to admit Milo trolled this whole situation. It's already been documented in thread...
Yes, Milo is a troll. His trolling is generally triggering the overly PC of the left wing by being politically incorrect, using their ensuing hysteria as an object lesson to demonstrate his points. But he did have a scheduled talk cancelled several months ago and then the "free speech week" with several other speakers never managed to get approved. His solo appearance in the park was showboating.

However, several conservative speakers' engagements have been cancelled this year. Now even a left wing speaker, Alan Dershowitz, is threatening to sue UC Berkeley for the special hoops he is required to go through. He says that U.C. have had several anti-Israel speakers that only needed to clear the "normal" red tape but that, since he is pro-Israel, he is burdened with much more red tape. He is threatening to sue for the same speaker requirements that the anti-Israeli speakers have.

Scroll up. I stated I don't pretend to know one way or another whether this was a ruse by Milo.

Yes, that is your problem exactly. He admitted it but you cannot accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he's not.

Maybe a mod can step in and clean all this up.

A mod will clean up your post.

Yes, Milo is a troll. His trolling is generally triggering the overly PC of the left wing by being politically incorrect, using their ensuing hysteria as an object lesson to demonstrate his points. But he did have a scheduled talk cancelled several months ago and then the "free speech week" with several other speakers never managed to get approved. His solo appearance in the park was showboating.

However, several conservative speakers' engagements have been cancelled this year. Now even a left wing speaker, Alan Dershowitz, is threatening to sue UC Berkeley for the special hoops he is required to go through. He says that U.C. have had several anti-Israel speakers that only needed to clear the "normal" red tape but that, since he is pro-Israel, he is burdened with much more red tape. He is threatening to sue for the same speaker requirements that the anti-Israeli speakers have.

...and here's another one who won't address the issue that is the op.

More like I don't care. It doesn't matter. If you want to hear me say he was trolling, then ok, he was trolling.

Now how about the substance of what I wrote in my post above and the vid I linked to? An actual free speech week is good idea. Diversity of opinion is important. College campuses have become infested with mindless chanting regressive zombies.

More like I don't care. It doesn't matter. If you want to hear me say he was trolling, then ok, he was trolling.

Now how about the substance of what I wrote in my post above and the vid I linked to? An actual free speech week is good idea. Diversity of opinion is important. College campuses have become infested with mindless chanting regressive zombies.

This one is invalid and at least sometimes part of a larger hoax perpetrated by the right. We ought not make hasty generalizations about these things because some of them are hoaxes, some include exaggerations. Therefore, I care about the concrete, authentic issues to be discussed one at a time as per they are described in each op that comes up.

Until I actually see Milo having sex with a Black man, I will withhold my belief in his statements.

This one is invalid and at least sometimes part of a larger hoax perpetrated by the right. We ought not make hasty generalizations about these things because some of them are hoaxes, some include exaggerations. Therefore, I care about the concrete, authentic issues to be discussed one at a time as per they are described in each op that comes up.
That is the reasonable and mature response instead of mindless repeating memes.

This also fits your usual pattern: you tend to accept people's proposals at face value despite the fact that it's obvious to everyone else that the given justification for the idea is complete bullshit and is just camouflage for something that is otherwise completely counter-productive. You're the kind of guy who would see fifty guys with white hoods, shotguns and a noose marching in a circle around somebody's house and say "Well, they're demonstrating on public property, and they haven't committed a crime, so they have the same right of free speech as everyone else..."

This also fits your usual pattern: you tend to accept people's proposals at face value despite the fact that it's obvious to everyone else that the given justification for the idea is complete bullshit and is just camouflage for something that is otherwise completely counter-productive. You're the kind of guy who would see fifty guys with white hoods, shotguns and a noose marching in a circle around somebody's house and say "Well, they're demonstrating on public property, and they haven't committed a crime, so they have the same right of free speech as everyone else..."

Was Ben Shapiro's talk, for which the university had to spend $600k on security, just camouflage for trolling?

How about at the University of Utah, where $25,000 dollars in security was required?

But yes, let's all focus on the fact that Milo is a troll.

It's already been documented in thread...
What's been "documented" is that people on the ideological side of the University are willing to take their claims at face value, and of course, never consider for a moment that an institution might lie to cover their ass, and will roundly dismiss the claims of their ideological opponents.

Oh please.

It's already been documented in thread...
What's been "documented" is that people on the ideological side of the University are willing to take their claims at face value, and of course, never consider for a moment that an institution might lie to cover their ass, and will roundly dismiss the claims of their ideological opponents.
No, what has been documented is that no one's claims of facts have been documented. However, that has not stopped the ideologues from assuming facts not in evidence as the truth.

No, what has been documented is that no one's claims of facts have been documented. However, that has not stopped the ideologues from assuming facts not in evidence as the truth.

As far as I can tell, this is consistent with what I stated.

As far as I can tell, this is consistent with what I stated.
If your statement was evenhanded (which it wasn't) and if it clearly stated that we don't know the facts instead of claiming people are wrong, then it is consistent. Dismissing a claim of fact as unproven is not saying it is false, just that it is too early to know.

Back
Top Bottom