• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Comet

IMG_1239.jpeg
Unfortunately we had a thick cloud deck beyond which the comet fell before the sky got dark enough for a good photo. This is my best shot in quickly took in a short window of opportunity.

My dad likes to tell a story about how he only saw Halley's Comet because I was a fussy newborn and had to be taken for a walk at Stupid O'Clock in the morning. I am holding out hope to catch the next round.

It's been perpetually overcast here lately, which is triply annoying because the for last two nights in a row, my friends and family just over the hill have enjoyed an extremely rare sighting of the aurora borealis.

Reactions: SLD
Anyone remember Kohoutek? Around 1974, I think. It was touted to be this spectacular event, but was pretty much a fizzle.
I remember it well -- among all the Comets of the Century they promised me, that fizzled one after the other, it's still the only one I was ever able to make out with the naked eye.

Anyone remember Kohoutek? Around 1974, I think. It was touted to be this spectacular event, but was pretty much a fizzle.
I remember it well -- among all the Comets of the Century they promised me, that fizzled one after the other, it's still the only one I was ever able to make out with the naked eye.
Yep. I did catch a quick glimpse of it too. Around dusk, pretty faint and close to the horizon IIRC. :pouting:

You didn’t see Hyakutake or Hale-Bopp in the mid 90s? The former came quite close to Earth so was degrees across the sky while the latter was very bright.

Bloody cloud cover. It bleeped us for the conjunction and looks to possibly shut us out for the comet.

You didn’t see Hyakutake or Hale-Bopp in the mid 90s? The former came quite close to Earth so was degrees across the sky while the latter was very bright.
I remember trying to see Hale-Bopp, but all those people being taken aboard it kind of obscured the view. So, another fizzle.

Seriously though, I recall Hale-Bopp was a bigger show than Halley's Comet, wasn't it?

I live in a bowl.

What time are you going outside to get these good views? I've gotten up at different times of the night and see nothing.
On the east coast 15 to 30 min. after sunset. In the western horizon.
Actually, anywhere right after sunset.

What time are you going outside to get these good views? I've gotten up at different times of the night and see nothing.
Check out this chart:

Nov01ev_TsuchinshanComet_900.jpg

My best view was on Oct 13th, when it was basically centered between Venus and Arcturus. My photo above was taken at 7:40PM PDT. It will be higher in the sky now, and thus seen for longer after sunset, but it will continue to fade in brightness. If you can get to a dark site after sunset and look West it still may be visible.

Back
Top Bottom