• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Compatibilism: What's that About?

But I don't.

I have described the role of conscious will many times. We have will, will plays a role, just not the right role to qualify for the title of free will. Will is not free will
I just came from one of the new guy's thread and he says similar. I put as much stock in it as I put in @MrIntelligentDesign and their word salads.

You have described your beliefs many times but you always fail to justify them.

I have explained a number of times that I am, for the sake of these discussions, entirely willing to entertain determinism.

Deterministic systems, given that they may hold locally stochastic systems despite their global property of determinism, so do not forbid free will.

Human game theory is confined necessarily to stochastic strategy development no matter whether the containing environment is deterministic. We can model what that does to some extent, but the inability for *US* to close the system means that it remains stochastic.

That stochastic element to OUR behavior, even if it is living in a determined environment, means that we have to make choices from statistical models. We have to model what we could do, and select what we will do. Then we find out whether that actually happens.

If it happens, our will was free and if it does not our will was constrained: not free.

These are true of our actions even in a deterministic environment.

Even an outside observer could look at the resolution of events in the system and say "this one's will was free, this one's will isn't" even as they make the decisions but before they know the results.

Resorting to insults now? That's poor. Your frustration is on display.

You compare incompatibilism with the new guys nonsense? Really? You are scraping the bottom of your barrel of denial.

You provided the very same definition of determinism, yet dance around the implications.

The undeniable implications of determinism are that no alternative is realizable. That is implicit in the very definition that you gave.

The actions that unfold within a determined system are fixed, no deviation, no alternate action.

That is not me saying it. It's just how determinism is defined.
It is NOT how determinism is defined. It is how YOU define it. Yours is HARD determinism, not determinism, notwithstanding that you make no distinction between the two. There IS a distinction. And by the way, the Hoefer article from which you take the definition of determinism that he offers does NOT support the idea that we lack freedom of will.

Determinism does not imply that only only one alternative is realizABLE, only that one alternative is realizED. There is big difference between the two.

You keep quoting philosophers who find free will and determninism incompatible. So what? I can round up as many accredited philosophers with big degrees after their names who say that they ARE compatible. How does this advance discussion? I and others here mainly offer our arguments in our own terms, not appealing to the accreditation of others.

But I can just as well quote back to you Norman Swartz, of one among many, who memorably wrote that saying free will is compatible with determinism is bizarre, not because the notion is wrong, but because any alleged incompatibility between the two is a category errior. To say that determinism is compatibile with free will would be as strange, he wrote, as to say that “noses are compatible with itches.” Why would anyone doubt that noses are compatible with itches?

P1: A freely chosen will is when someone chooses for themselves what they will do, while free of coercion and other forms of undue influence.
P2: A world is deterministic if every event is reliably caused by prior events.
P3: A freely chosen will is reliably caused by the person's own goals, reasons, or interests (with their prior causes).
P4: An unfree choice is reliably caused by coercion or undue influence (with their prior causes).
C: Therefore, the notion of a freely chosen will (and its opposite) is still meaningful within a fully deterministic world.

... It is not 'someone' that chooses, but specifically the unconscious underlying information processing activity of a brain. Without that unconscious activity, 'someone' just sits there with a blank look on their face.

Whatever happens unconsciously, within the person reading the menu and deciding what to order for dinner, is still a part of "the person deciding". And each person places their order with the waiter. The waiter (another "someone") will bring both the dinner, and the bill, to the "someone" who placed the order.

If anyone "just sits there with a blank look on their face", someone will likely call an ambulance.

We lack the right kind of regulative control to qualify as free will.

Each person at the table chose what they would have for dinner and gave their waiter the order, demonstrating precisely the kind of control required for free will.

We think and act on the principle of information processing. The brain is an information processor. Actions are generated through processing, not will.

The brain's information process includes choosing what we will have for dinner from the restaurant menu. Choosing for ourselves what we will do is called "free will".

The "free" means free from coercion and undue influence. It does not mean "freedom from our brain's information processing". You are creating imaginary freedoms that no one is claiming exists!

Actions inevitably follow input and processing;

And that process is called "choosing what we will do". Once we have chosen what we will have for dinner, we tell the waiter, "I will have the salad, please". The choosing determines what we will do.

Not so much when it comes to will and action being necessitated, therefore fixed.

The choosing necessitates, and therefore "fixes", the "I will have the salad, please". If you wish to trace the prior causes that led up to the person making this specific choice, you can (theoretically), but that does not in any way imply that the person did not make the choice for themselves.

Definition of freedom
1: the quality or state of being free: such as
a: the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action - Merriam-Webster

We have will, but given necessitation, it is not free.

Free will does not claim to be free of causation or "causal necessity", it only claims to be free of coercion and other forms of undue influence. The notion that causation itself is some kind of a "constraint" is part of the illusion constructed by incompatibilists.

There is only one selection possible for any individual diner in any given instance in time.

You are confused as to the nature of a "possibility". A possibility is something that may happen or may never happen. A possibility is not to be confused with something that will happen. What will happen certainly will happen. But a possibility is only something that can happen, but may never happen. The fact that a possibility will never happen does not make it an impossibility. It is just a possibility that never happened.

It is possible for any customer to order any item. One of them will be ordered, the rest will not be ordered. The fact that an item is not ordered does not make it an impossibility. It remains a possibility that was not chosen.

Tomorrow, gathered round the water cooler, we might discuss our dining experience. "I had the lobster, but it didn't agree with me. I should have had the steak instead". The steak was a real possibility, something that I could have ordered, even though it was inevitable that I would have order the lobster.

Or you might be challenged by the idea that only one selection is possible, so you order all the items on the menu to prove your free will.
That is inner necessitation at work. the challenge to your 'free will' drives you to order all the items on the menu.....ironically, being determined, that is still your only possible selection in that moment in time based on the very thing that drove you to that action; the challenge to your idea of free will.

Ah, yes. The incompatibilist's fake problem of "escaping causal inevitability", the hook that led to the initial insight I had in the public library. A little bit of temporary insanity (well, temporary for me, but for you maybe not so temporary) that falsely portrayed causation as something I needed to escape in order to be "truly" free.

It's a very silly notion, freedom from causation, but if presented in a believable way, it can suck you into the paradox. You see, freedom requires the ability to cause effects. Pushing the keys on my keyboard causes these words to appear in this text. But if I were free from causation, then I would no longer be able to push the keys, because that is causing an effect.

Since every freedom we have, to do anything at all, requires causing effects, the notion of being free from causation actually eliminates all our freedoms. How can we be free from the very thing that freedom requires?!

We can't. So the notion of "freedom from causal necessity" is paradoxical. It is a self-induced hoax, created by falling for the initial suggestion that we had to be free from causation to be "truly" free.

Some freedoms are logically, if not physically, impossible: "freedom from causation", "freedom from ourselves", "freedom from reality". So, the attack upon free will begins by suggesting that the "free" in free will is one of these impossible freedoms.

And, that's a lie of course. So, once you realize that free will is simply freedom from coercion and coercive influences, then free will is once again what it used to be: people deciding for themselves what they will do while free of coercion and undue influence.

Determinism doesn't have to know or understand anything. It's just one action causing another, each action being a cause and an effect in a web of activity that cannot be otherwise. No alternatives, no deviations.

Again, you're conflating "can" with "will". Events will not be otherwise. Among the events, that will not be otherwise, is people deciding for themselves what they will do. Among the events, that will not be otherwise, are literal menus of possibilities, options, and alternatives.

And among the events, that will not be otherwise, is us deliberately choosing, from among the many possible futures that we will imagine, the single inevitable future that we will bring about.

It wasn't for me.
Clearly.

material bases
Mathematical bases that describe the material are still, when operated mathematically, also descriptive of the material.

You will never ever escape the fact that deterministic systems do not demand a lack of free will properties, and for that matter you will never escape the fact that no matter how much you moan and whinge that I reject your religion, that your disinterest in systems theory is not sustainable as a basis for expertise in the above areas.

Pood said:
It is NOT how determinism is defined. It is how YOU define it. Yours is HARD determinism, not determinism, notwithstanding that you make no distinction between the two. There IS a distinction. And by the way, the Hoefer article from which [DBT] take the definition of determinism that he offers does NOT support the idea that we lack freedom of will.

Determinism does not imply that only only one alternative is realizABLE, only that one alternative is realizED. There is big difference between the two.

... So what?...

Norman Swartz, of one among many, who memorably wrote that saying free will is compatible with determinism is bizarre, not because the notion is wrong, but because any alleged incompatibility between the two is a category errior(sic). To say that determinism is compatibile with free will would be as strange, he wrote, as to say that “noses are compatible with itches.” Why would anyone doubt that noses are compatible with itches?

Nothing about the systems theory of deterministic systems forbids the property of free will from arising within them.

The domain of discussion is of what real properties may be described of players in closed system game theory. This is a localized domain within the deterministic system, and it is in fact stochastic.

If you don't understand what it means to be stochastic, you are absolutely in the wrong thread.

Last edited:

Pood said:
It is NOT how determinism is defined. It is how YOU define it. Yours is HARD determinism, not determinism, notwithstanding that you make no distinction between the two. There IS a distinction. And by the way, the Hoefer article from which [DBT] take the definition of determinism that he offers does NOT support the idea that we lack freedom of will.

... So what?...

Norman Swartz, of one among many, who memorably wrote that saying free will is compatible with determinism is bizarre, not because the notion is wrong, but because any alleged incompatibility between the two is a category errior(sic). To say that determinism is compatibile with free will would be as strange, he wrote, as to say that “noses are compatible with itches.” Why would anyone doubt that noses are compatible with itches?

Nothing about the systems theory of deterministic systems forbids the property of free will from arising within them.

The domain of discussion is of what real properties may be described of players in closed system game theory. This is a localized domain within the deterministic system, and it is in fact stochastic.

If you don't understand what it means to be stochastic, you are absolutely in the wrong thread.
Jarhyn spinning your mathematical prayer wheel flatters you not. If only one 'option' is realized it makes no difference whether there are zero or a million possible options. Only one option is ever realized. IOW your distinction lacks the property required for distinction it won't happen.

Anything that varies from determination, that is hard determination, is not actually determinism. Rather it is something else that includes the capability of something within the system to make statements about the system.

Just because we see choice as viable does not make it so. Determinism is the machine, it is not the program steps we humans find necessary to express our sense of things. That would be a model like you worship, a mathematics or logic or other system for representation of information as humans see it.

Visualizing possibilities is neat idea but it is never reality. There is only one reality for every instance. It is convenient to see that what can be reality as possible realities, but not that they exist at any instant as a realty. I think there is a Rumsfeld statement in there somewhere.

You compare incompatibilism with the new guys nonsense
Absolutely yes!

It is religious garbage and Voltaire nailed it hardcore in Candide over 250 years ago.

You fully admit that you don't understand systems theory

Where did I even mention systems theory? Stick to the issue without engaging with insults and ad homs.

The issue, as pointed out numerous times, is free will in relation to determinism. If the world is determined, systems theory is not exempt from determinism.

Nor have you shown that systems theory allows free will within a determined system.

Frankly, it's a waste of time dealing with your diversions and your rudeness.

But I don't.

I have described the role of conscious will many times. We have will, will plays a role, just not the right role to qualify for the title of free will. Will is not free will
I just came from one of the new guy's thread and he says similar. I put as much stock in it as I put in @MrIntelligentDesign and their word salads.

You have described your beliefs many times but you always fail to justify them.

I have explained a number of times that I am, for the sake of these discussions, entirely willing to entertain determinism.

Deterministic systems, given that they may hold locally stochastic systems despite their global property of determinism, so do not forbid free will.

Human game theory is confined necessarily to stochastic strategy development no matter whether the containing environment is deterministic. We can model what that does to some extent, but the inability for *US* to close the system means that it remains stochastic.

That stochastic element to OUR behavior, even if it is living in a determined environment, means that we have to make choices from statistical models. We have to model what we could do, and select what we will do. Then we find out whether that actually happens.

If it happens, our will was free and if it does not our will was constrained: not free.

These are true of our actions even in a deterministic environment.

Even an outside observer could look at the resolution of events in the system and say "this one's will was free, this one's will isn't" even as they make the decisions but before they know the results.

Resorting to insults now? That's poor. Your frustration is on display.

You compare incompatibilism with the new guys nonsense? Really? You are scraping the bottom of your barrel of denial.

You provided the very same definition of determinism, yet dance around the implications.

The undeniable implications of determinism are that no alternative is realizable. That is implicit in the very definition that you gave.

The actions that unfold within a determined system are fixed, no deviation, no alternate action.

That is not me saying it. It's just how determinism is defined.
It is NOT how determinism is defined. It is how YOU define it. Yours is HARD determinism, not determinism, notwithstanding that you make no distinction between the two. There IS a distinction. And by the way, the Hoefer article from which you take the definition of determinism that he offers does NOT support the idea that we lack freedom of will.

Wrong, both Marvin Edwards and Jarhyn gave essentially the same definition that I use, which is from the Standford page on causal determinism.

Marvin Edwards - ''Determinism means that events will proceed naturally (as if "fixed as a matter of natural law") and reliably ("without deviation").

Jarhyn - A deterministic system is a system in which no randomness is involved in the development of future states of the system''

Determinism: The world is governed by (or is under the sway of) determinism if and only if, given a specified way things are at a time t, the way things go thereafter is fixed as a matter of natural law.

Determinism is essentially the same for both compatibilists and incompatibilists - the distinction of hard and soft determinism lies the question of compatibility, not the nature of determinism.

Only one alternative is realizable, and that is the determined action. If it's a toss up which action is realized by any person in any given moment in time, it's not determinism.

You keep quoting philosophers who find free will and determninism incompatible. So what? I can round up as many accredited philosophers with big degrees after their names who say that they ARE compatible. How does this advance discussion? I and others here mainly offer our arguments in our own terms, not appealing to the accreditation of others.

I quote to support what I say and to highlight the flaws in the compatibilist definition of free will.

Which are quite clear. Will and action are determined by antecedents and no free will is involved in the process, which is unconscious until the moment it is brought to conscious attention, narrator function, etc.

But I can just as well quote back to you Norman Swartz, of one among many, who memorably wrote that saying free will is compatible with determinism is bizarre, not because the notion is wrong, but because any alleged incompatibility between the two is a category errior. To say that determinism is compatibile with free will would be as strange, he wrote, as to say that “noses are compatible with itches.” Why would anyone doubt that noses are compatible with itches?

There are many who argue for compatibilism, but it's still a flawed argument for the given reasons.

Basically:
''An action’s production by a deterministic process, even when the agent satisfies the conditions on moral responsibility specified by compatibilists, presents no less of a challenge to basic-desert responsibility than does deterministic manipulation by other agents. ''
Basically;

P1: A freely chosen will is when someone chooses for themselves what they will do, while free of coercion and other forms of undue influence.
P3: A freely chosen will is reliably caused by the person's own goals, reasons, or interests (with their prior causes).
P4: An unfree choice is reliably caused by coercion or undue influence (with their prior causes).
C: Therefore, the notion of a freely chosen will (and its opposite) is still meaningful within a fully deterministic world.

... It is not 'someone' that chooses, but specifically the unconscious underlying information processing activity of a brain. Without that unconscious activity, 'someone' just sits there with a blank look on their face.

Whatever happens unconsciously, within the person reading the menu and deciding what to order for dinner, is still a part of "the person deciding". And each person places their order with the waiter. The waiter (another "someone") will bring both the dinner, and the bill, to the "someone" who placed the order.

If anyone "just sits there with a blank look on their face", someone will likely call an ambulance.

Decision making is not a free will process. As pointed out, computers can select an action from a set of options based on a given set of criteria, and it is the information processor, the computer, that is doing the deciding.

The machine makes decisions according to its own nature and makeup, and the resulting action is freely implemented and performed by whatever system it runs.

Free will is not involved.

Our brains are information processes, acquiring and processing information, making decisions (determined), selecting actions (determined) based on a given set of criteria, with no free will involved.

Compabilists merely apply a label.

We lack the right kind of regulative control to qualify as free will.

Each person at the table chose what they would have for dinner and gave their waiter the order, demonstrating precisely the kind of control required for free will.

It's the nature of decision making within a determined system that eliminates the idea of free will being involved in the process.

We think and act on the principle of information processing. The brain is an information processor. Actions are generated through processing, not will.

The brain's information process includes choosing what we will have for dinner from the restaurant menu. Choosing for ourselves what we will do is called "free will".

Any information processor of sufficient complexity can select an action based a given set of criteria. It doesn't take free will, just the ability to process information and initiate motor actions.

The "free" means free from coercion and undue influence. It does not mean "freedom from our brain's information processing". You are creating imaginary freedoms that no one is claiming exists!

Inner necessitation eliminates freedom of will. Will is necessitated by antecedents and the state and condition of the system in any instance in time.

''Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity' - Einstein.

Actions inevitably follow input and processing;

And that process is called "choosing what we will do". Once we have chosen what we will have for dinner, we tell the waiter, "I will have the salad, please". The choosing determines what we will do.

No, everything came before inexorably brings you to that very action. Antecedents determine current brain state, current brain state initates the determined action.

Not so much when it comes to will and action being necessitated, therefore fixed.

The choosing necessitates, and therefore "fixes", the "I will have the salad, please". If you wish to trace the prior causes that led up to the person making this specific choice, you can (theoretically), but that does not in any way imply that the person did not make the choice for themselves.

Anything with the physical capacity to take actions based on their imperitives or proclivites can that. It takes, not free will, but the necessary processing ability.

There is only one selection possible for any individual diner in any given instance in time.

You are confused as to the nature of a "possibility". A possibility is something that may happen or may never happen. A possibility is not to be confused with something that will happen. What will happen certainly will happen. But a possibility is only something that can happen, but may never happen. The fact that a possibility will never happen does not make it an impossibility. It is just a possibility that never happened.

No confusion, we talk about possibilities from our limited perspective, awareness or understanding of the state of the world and its events.
If the world is determined, there is no possiblity of a determined action not to happen, we just don't have the necessary information, so we see possibilities.

''Determinism means that events will proceed naturally (as if "fixed as a matter of natural law") and reliably ("without deviation"). ''All of these events, including my choices, were causally necessary from any prior point in time. And they all proceeded without deviation from the Big Bang to this moment.'' - Marvin Edwards.

Or you might be challenged by the idea that only one selection is possible, so you order all the items on the menu to prove your free will.
That is inner necessitation at work. the challenge to your 'free will' drives you to order all the items on the menu.....ironically, being determined, that is still your only possible selection in that moment in time based on the very thing that drove you to that action; the challenge to your idea of free will.

Ah, yes. The incompatibilist's fake problem of "escaping causal inevitability", the hook that led to the initial insight I had in the public library. A little bit of temporary insanity (well, temporary for me, but for you maybe not so temporary) that falsely portrayed causation as something I needed to escape in order to be "truly" free.

Hardly falsely protrayed, seeing that it relates to the accepted definition of determinism...being essentially the same for both sides of the debate

It's a very silly notion, freedom from causation, but if presented in a believable way, it can suck you into the paradox. You see, freedom requires the ability to cause effects. Pushing the keys on my keyboard causes these words to appear in this text. But if I were free from causation, then I would no longer be able to push the keys, because that is causing an effect.

Free will, by the essential meaning of the term ''free'' in relation to ''will'' would appear to require meaningful regulative control by this free will agency, an ability to make a difference to outcomes.

To choose through an act of free will.

Yet no such thing happens.

It is not will that regulates the system.

It is not will that makes decisions or initiates action. That is the function of neural architecture.

We have a marvelous, complex brain that's capable of genetating mental representations of self and environment in conscioius form and respond to events in adaptive ways.

Intelligence, but not free will.

Wrong, both Marvin Edwards and Jarhyn gave essentially the same definition that I use, which is from the Standford page on causal determinism

Sigh. Yes, I know, DBT, it’s from your precious Stanford page on causal determinism. Did you read the whole Hoefer article? He contests his own definition and concludes that causal determinism does not rule out free will. How about that, huh?

In any case, the definition is not holy writ. It is contestable. Hoefer himself recognizes this. We’ve been over this, yet you ignore all the rebuttals and simply repeat this stuff like a mantra. Any definition of determinism that incorporates or implies no free will, which btw Hoefer’s does not, is question begging and hence useless.

Wrong, both Marvin Edwards and Jarhyn gave essentially the same definition that I use, which is from the Standford page on causal determinism

Sigh. Yes, I know, DBT, it’s from your precious Stanford page on causal determinism. Did you read the whole Hoefer article? He contests his own definition and concludes that causal determinism does not rule out free will. How about that, huh?

In any case, the definition is not holy writ. It is contestable. Hoefer himself recognizes this. We’ve been over this, yet you ignore all the rebuttals and simply repeat this stuff like a mantra. Any definition of determinism that incorporates or implies no free will, which btw Hoefer’s does not, is question begging and hence useless.
And this is what I keep talking about! The math itself of systems theory directly contradicts HARD determinism.

Hard determinism is a religion.

Determinism as a statement about the universe is also a religion insofar as the universe has stochastic elements to it's resolution re: 'true' randomness in nature.

looking globally at the "just so" and adding that to the initial conditions is just hand waving away the problem.

That is "just so" determinism, and any stochastic system can be represented as a just-so deterministic system.

In fact converting stochastic systems built on pseudorandom numbers into just-so determinism is how such systems are debugged, usually

Pood said:

... So what?...

Jarhyn spinning your mathematical prayer wheel flatters you not. If only one 'option' is realized it makes no difference whether there are zero or a million possible options. Only one option is ever realized. IOW your distinction lacks the property required for distinction it won't happen.

Anything that varies from determination, that is hard determination, is not actually determinism. Rather it is something else that includes the capability of something within the system to make statements about the system.

Just because we see choice as viable does not make it so. Determinism is the machine, it is not the program steps we humans find necessary to express our sense of things. That would be a model like you worship, a mathematics or logic or other system for representation of information as humans see it.

Visualizing possibilities is neat idea but it is never reality. There is only one reality for every instance. It is convenient to see that what can be reality as possible realities, but not that they exist at any instant as a realty. I think there is a Rumsfeld statement in there somewhere.

You, like DBT, confuse realizED with realizABLE. LIke him, you also appear to fall into the modal scoope fallacy of confusing WILL with CAN. Pity, that.

Rather, I should say both of you fall into the modal error of thinking that “WILL be true“ implies “MUST be true.“ This is a clear modal scope fallacy that both of you continuously commit.

Rather, I should say both of you fall into the modal error of thinking that “WILL be true“ implies “MUST be true.“ This is a clear modal scope fallacy that both of you continuously commit.
It's interesting insofar as game theory, good game theory, doesn't concern itself with being unable to move two pieces, or take back your moves. The player still has to make a choice and does even when there is only one game to play. The same is just as true when the player is entirely contained and hosted within the system of the game.

Decision making is not a free will process.

Decision making determines what you will do. When you are free to choose for yourself what you will do, it is a freely chosen will.

As pointed out, computers can select an action from a set of options based on a given set of criteria, and it is the information processor, the computer, that is doing the deciding.

The computer is a machine we have created to do our will. It has no will of its own.

The machine makes decisions according to its own nature and makeup, and the resulting action is freely implemented and performed by whatever system it runs.

No, not always. The bank teller exercises care with the bank's money, always giving the bank's customers only the cash that is available to them in their bank account. That is the "nature and makeup" of the bank teller. The bank robber, points a gun at the bank teller, forcing her to give him money that is not his. The gun forces the bank teller to submit her will to the will of the robber.

When she is dealing with her customers she is making decisions according to her own nature and makeup, but when she is dealing with the robber pointing a gun at her, the guy with the gun is making those decisions for her.

In one case she is free to decide for herself what she will do. In the other case she is not free to decide for herself what she will do.

Do you deny that this is a real and meaningful distinction?

Free will is not involved.

In one case she is free to decide for herself what she will do. In the other case she is not free to decide for herself what she will do. So, the distinction is clearly about free will versus an unfree will.

Our brains are information processors, acquiring and processing information, making decisions (determined), selecting actions (determined) based on a given set of criteria ...

Yes, and in one case it is the bank teller's brain deterministically choosing what she will do (freely chosen will), and in the other case, it is bank robber's brain deterministically deciding what the bank teller will do (his freely chosen will is imposed upon her against her will).

Compatibilists merely apply a label.

Well, yeah. Everybody applies labels. That's how we distinguish one thing from another. We call a cat a "cat" and we call a dog a "dog". We call thinking "thinking" and we call walking "walking".

We call deciding for ourselves what we will do "free will".
We call a guy with a gun deciding for us what we will do "coercion".

We call different events by different names to avoid confusing things, like confusing cats with dogs, or like confusing free will with coercion.

Naming objects and events enables us to communicate with each other. So, it is best that we understand what our labels mean when we use them in the real world.

It's the nature of decision making within a determined system that eliminates the idea of free will being involved in the process.

Free will is the name of the process of deciding for ourselves what we will do. Free will is not "involved" in the process, it is the name of process itself.

Inner necessitation eliminates freedom of will.

Nope. Choosing is the inner process that necessitates the will. When free to choose for ourselves what we will do, it is a freely chosen will. When the guy with the gun forces us to do his will instead of our own, what we will do is not our will is not freely chosen, but the will of the robber imposed upon us against our will.

Will is necessitated by antecedents and the state and condition of the system in any instance in time.

The antecedent event that necessitated the will is called "choosing". And it is the reliable result of the person's own system of goals and reasons at that point in time.

''Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity' - Einstein.

Hi, Albert! Were you listening when I explained to DBT that the inner process that necessitates our specific will is the choosing process?

Oh, and Albert, we seldom act under external compulsion. In most cases we are free to follow or dismiss external influences. It is only in cases of coercion that we are compelled to follow external influences.

No, everything came before inexorably brings you to that very action. Antecedents determine current brain state, current brain state initates the determined action.

And there you go again, sweeping meaningful information under the rug of abstract generalities. You are not hiding anything from me. Let's take a closer look at that causal chain to find the missing link.

(Prior to choosing)
We have perfectly reliable cause and effect leading up to the point where we encounter a problem or issue that requires us to make a decision. Perhaps we've just opened the menu in the restaurant.

(The missing link)
We have perfectly reliable cause and effect within the choosing process, where our choice is the reliable effect of who and what we are at that moment. The choice is determined by our own goals and our own reasons. The choice is our specific will as to what we intend to have for dinner. This causes us to announce to the waiter, "I will have the Chef Salad, please".

(Subsequent to choosing)
Our deliberate action causes the waiter to write down our order and carry it to the chef. The chef prepares the meal, gives it to the waiter, who brings us our salad and the bill for our dinner. We eat the salad, and then pay the bill to the cashier on the way out. And the causal chain continues.

So, the causal chain remains unbroken. Perfectly reliable cause and effect before choosing, within choosing, and after choosing.

My point here is that you cannot sweep the choosing process under the rug and pretend it never happened.

No confusion, we talk about possibilities from our limited perspective, awareness or understanding of the state of the world and its events.

Correct! The notion of possibilities, things that can happen but might not happen, have evolved to enable us to deal logically with matters of uncertainty, where we do not know what will happen, but only know what can happen.

If the world is determined, there is no possiblity of a determined action not to happen, we just don't have the necessary information, so we see possibilities.

Apparently, it was inevitable that there would be possibilities, because it was inevitable that we would often be uncertain as to what will happen next and even uncertain what we will do next.

Whenever we are choosing, we don't know at the outset what our choice will be. So, we switch to the logic of possibilities. We have A and B and must choose between them. The fact that we must choose between them logically requires that we have the ability to choose A and that we also have the ability to choose B. So, right up front, we have the "ability to do otherwise" as a logical fact of the choosing operation. We can choose A, it is possible to choose A, we have the ability to choose A. And the same logical facts are true of option B.

We won't know for certain what we will do, until the choosing process is done. We only know that A and B are real possibilities and that we can choose A is true, and that we can choose B is also true.

So, after choosing is finished, and we finally know what we will do, we will also finally know what we could have done but would not do.

The deterministic process of choosing will always result in one thing that we will do, and at least one other thing that we could have done but did not do.

''Determinism means that events will proceed naturally (as if "fixed as a matter of natural law") and reliably ("without deviation"). ''All of these events, including my choices, were causally necessary from any prior point in time. And they all proceeded without deviation from the Big Bang to this moment.'' - Marvin Edwards.

(Oh. Hi Marvin, nice to see you here as well. Hey, did you get a chance to speak to Albert while you were over there, to straighten him out?)

The choosing process proceeded without deviation. I could choose option A was true. And I could choose option B was also true. The ability to do otherwise showed up precisely when it was causally necessary that it would.

But then again, all events are always causally necessary from any prior point in time, so no big deal. Causal necessity changes nothing. It eliminates nothing.

It does not eliminate any possibilities. Instead it guarantees that they will show up precisely when they do.

It does not eliminate free will because the person will either necessarily decide for themselves what they will do or they will necessarily be coerced or unduly influenced.

That's how causal necessity works (or rather doesn't work). It is like a background constant, that appears on both sides of every equation, and can be subtracted from both sides without affecting the results. Universal causal necessity/inevitability is the most trivial logical fact in the whole universe.

It has no practical implications for any human scenarios, so it is never appropriate to bring it up. And yet the hard determinists keep trying to attach some magical powers to it. It's really very annoying.

Hardly falsely protrayed, seeing that it relates to the accepted definition of determinism...being essentially the same for both sides of the debate

Yeah, but the libertarian incompatibilists claim that universal causal necessity/inevitability doesn't exist and the hard determinists claim that it means a lot of stuff that it simply doesn't. The compatibilists recognize it as a logical fact that has no practical significance. While it is a logical fact, it is neither a meaningful nor a relevant fact.

So, the libertarians act as if it universal causal necessity isn't there. The compatibilists act as if universal causal necessity is there but it is an insignificant fact that can be ignored. The hard determinists annoyingly keep bringing it up as if it meant something and constantly attempt to make it meaningful.

Ironically, the hard determinists also act as if it isn't there. They restore free will and responsibility by asserting that they are "necessary illusions", things they don't believe are true, but which they must act as if they were true. For example, here's what Albert said about this:

Albert Einstein said:
"In a sense, we can hold no one responsible. I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. ... Practically, I am, nevertheless, compelled to act as if freedom of the will existed. If I wish to live in a civilized community, I must act as if man is a responsible being."

Page 114 of "The Saturday Evening Post" article "What Life Means to Einstein" "An Interview by George Sylvester Viereck" (Oct 26, 1929)

Free will, by the essential meaning of the term ''free'' in relation to ''will'' would appear to require meaningful regulative control by this free will agency, an ability to make a difference to outcomes.

No. You're imagining another definition of free will, some kind of "freely floating" will, that is separate from the material world and from cause and effect. Some people may believe in souls that exist as ghosts, separate from the physical world.

But no one actually behaves as if that were true. For example, we do not see any of these people volunteering to give a demonstration of hands-free typing, where by simply giving thought to it, the keys are pushed by psychokinesis. The libertarian, just like the rest of us, types upon the material keyboard with her material fingers.

So, we have the libertarians acting as if they were "material girls in a material world" (Cindi Lauper), despite their claims.
So, we have the hard determinists acting as if free will and responsibility were real, despite their claims.

The only people making any sense are the compatibilists, who acknowledge causal necessity, but put it in its proper place, the trash.

Pood said:

... So what?...

You, like DBT, confuse realizED with realizABLE. LIke him, you also appear to fall into the modal scoope fallacy of confusing WILL with CAN. Pity, that.
Not confused. What is realizable is real when it is realized. Until it occurs it is a wet dream of the fanaticizing clique. Unrealized possibilities are all over the place. Read your Baum. Oh wait. That's fiction.

I put will in the t....can. It's like hope: "I think I can."

Pood said:

... So what?...

Not confused. What is realizable is real when it is realized. Until it occurs it is a wet dream of the fanaticizing clique. Unrealized possibilities are all over the place. Read your Baum. Oh wait. That's fiction.

The difference is, "whether I could" is measurable, and thus real.

Pood said:

... So what?...

The difference is, "whether I could" is measurable, and thus real.
If it is determined it is measurable. "Whether I could" isn't measurable until it is observed then it is measured. So only if whether I could" is observed is it measurable. You'll find that that is the same as determined.

If it is determined it is measurable. "Whether I could" isn't measurable until it is observed then it is measured. So only if whether I could" is observed is it measurable. You'll find that that is the same as determined.
And nothing you have said in this remarkably tautological circular bit of circular tautology do you get anywhere where you might rationally say "and thus even though it was measured it is not a property".

I can even go so far after it was determined to measure my freedom of will as relates my other unrealized goals.

I could, for instance, decide I wish to jump off a diving board. I could have will for doing a flip.amd a straight dive. I choose the flip, and find out I didn't have the free will to do a flip. I flop. I do realize that my will would have been free had I chosen the dive.

Even after the event, I can measure freedom even as pertains to unrealized choices! This improves my ability to more adequately and freely will that I not embarrass myself at the pool, either by me knowing I do not have free will to do flips, or by helping me improve my model quality as pertains to flips.

These are measurable properties of the players, even if you have a hard time understanding that the game theory involved is such that it requires stochastic modelling and because stochastic modelling is involved there must be will and comparative quality of "will" and thus comparative freedom of "will".

All you have said is "only one intent is realized", and have not defended "only one intent is realizable".

You need to be at "only one intent is realizable".

And nothing you have said in this remarkably tautological circular bit of circular tautology do you get anywhere where you might rationally say "and thus even though it was measured it is not a property".

I can even go so far after it was determined to measure my freedom of will as relates my other unrealized goals.

I could, for instance, decide I wish to jump off a diving board. I could have will for doing a flip.amd a straight dive. I choose the flip, and find out I didn't have the free will to do a flip. I flop. I do realize that my will would have been free had I chosen the dive.

Even after the event, I can measure freedom even as pertains to unrealized choices! This improves my ability to more adequately and freely will that I not embarrass myself at the pool, either by me knowing I do not have free will to do flips, or by helping me improve my model quality as pertains to flips.

These are measurable properties of the players, even if you have a hard time understanding that the game theory involved is such that it requires stochastic modelling and because stochastic modelling is involved there must be will and comparative quality of "will" and thus comparative freedom of "will".

All you have said is "only one intent is realized", and have not defended "only one intent is realizable".

You need to be at "only one intent is realizable".
You miss why I left out the relation between math proof and determined. Unless math proof is observed as a material event it is no more than an exercise in a mode of thought. Explicitly unless one observes publicly a confirmation of math proof it is just a mental self observed exercise. Back to Wundt. We've known this explicitly for about 150 years now, before we suspected it was so with which that and a nickel gives you existence of a nickel.

Yet compatibilists use that basic definition of determinism. The very same definition that Marvin Edwards, who argues for compatibility, gave.

The very same definition that Jarhyn gave. The very same definition that is generally accepted as being the essence of determinism, no randomness, predictable outcomes.

How about that?

That Hoefer 'contests his own definition' - which predates Hoefer and his article - does not negate its validity.

How about that?

If determinism does not involve an inherently predictable progression of events within a system, it is not ''determinism. ''

How about that?

So you'd like ''determinism'' to mean whatever suits your needs? Do what you like, that's determinism? Random events, well, gosh, that's determinism, Oh, yeah, sure it is.....and Pigs Fly.

Back
Top Bottom