• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Consciousness

We specifically know how a computer achieves all it's effects.

What good is a computer without very detailed programs?

I just don't understand how you can be so wrong about everything. You'd think that you'd get the occasional thing right, if only by chance, but nope.

I just don't understand how you can be so wrong about everything. You'd think that you'd get the occasional thing right, if only by chance, but nope.

You can only believe that as some kind of faith.

You have no valid arguments or ideas to refute anything.

BS. You may not understand how your computer performs all of its functions, but it is still clear from what you do know that it is your computer that's performing its functions and not some autonomous agent running the show.

Every part of a computer is designed. What every part is doing is known.

But a computer without an active human consciousness is just a box that sits and does nothing.

So you missed the point. Doesn't surprise me. I expected it, but posted anyway. It's become a hobby I think.

Well, let's see. I recall a computer solving a differential equation with no programing at all. (Details on request.)

What good is life without detailed and proven gene structures, decoders and recoders.

Now you're being steamrolled into the macadam.

What good is having a consciousness if it can initiate NOTHING?

Such a consciousness is superfluous and not necessary.

Not likely anything like that would ever arise.

What good is life without detailed and proven gene structures, decoders and recoders.

Sorry to be blunt, but you don't appear to be paying attention to what has already been pointed out numerous times.....consciousness is the brain's 'map' of the world and self, the internal subjective representation the brain uses as a means with which to interact with the external world. Which is a huge advantage, but doesn't mean that consciousness decides, or that consciousness interacts with the world, but the brain through the means of conscious representation of the world and self.

Consciousness is not a thing.

To be conscious is what it is like to be me. And I can initiate actions.

If you are conscious that is what it is like to be you. And you can initiate actions.

The world is deterministic. Each of us consciously uses that very fact to predict the future.

And prediction of the future would arise if it could.

Well, let's see. I recall a computer solving a differential equation with no programing at all. (Details on request.)

Don't confuse him George S. He's way to young to be familiar with analog computers and he was probably never in military gunnery or Naval fire control.

Consciousness is not a thing.

It is.

It is a thing with all kinds of abilities.

It can move the arm at will.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't confuse him George S. He's way to young to be familiar with analog computers and he was probably never in military gunnery or Naval fire control.

So all he has to do is make an unsubstantiated claim and you jump on board?

Telling!

If he really had a point he would make it.

Not an unsubstantiated claim sir. Here is a cute example generated through the use of an AFSC electronic translator of Russian activities circa 1963 with mathematical electronic computations including solving differential equation using analog computing methods.

Electronic Analog Computers with their Applications for Investigation of Automatic Control Systems https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?10432-Consciousness&p=457343#post457343

... and here are two references on the topic.

Analog Computers,  Ship Gun fire control system

Me? I worked with both a Mark 56 GFCS and a Mark 86 MFCS computer whilst in the Navy.

You're posting here with no knowledge, little information, and almost no reasoning. RU a Bot untermenche?

Just for the fun of it, I build an analog computer to run my dissertation experiments off an analog random number generator which was a component in the digital computer in which the tapes I generated were sequentially presented through the analog computer. That computer consisted of steppers driving three orthogonal placed pistons using a hydraulic system located in the lab controlling the movement of a speaker in an darkened Anechoic room. Signals arerived at the observer isolated from other cues through suspension in a chair.

Observer responses were transmitted back to the digital computer and collected in a digital table for each session which then were later run through UCLA's Statistical analysis package.

Last edited:
Not an unsubstantiated claim sir. Here is a cute example generated through the use of an AFSC electronic translator of Russian activities circa 1963 with mathematical electronic computations including solving differential equation using analog computing methods.

Electronic Analog Computers with their Applications for Investigation of Automatic Control Systems https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?10432-Consciousness&p=457343#post457343

... and here are two references on the topic.

Analog Computers,  Ship Gun fire control system

Me? I worked with both a Mark 56 GFCS and a Mark 86 MFCS computer whilst in the Navy.

You're posting here with no knowledge, little information, and almost no reasoning. RU a Bot untermenche?

Just for the fun of it, I build an analog computer to run my dissertation experiments off an analog random number generator which was a component in the digital computer in which the tapes I generated were sequentially presented through the analog computer. That computer consisted of steppers driving three orthogonal placed pistons using a hydraulic system located in the lab controlling the movement of a speaker in an darkened Anechoic room. Signals arerived at the observer isolated from other cues through suspension in a chair.

Observer responses were transmitted back to the digital computer and collected in a digital table for each session which then were later run through UCLA's Statistical analysis package.

Looks like all kinds of "programming".

Why are you wasting my time with it?

So if a bird uses a stick as a tool it was because of human programming?

Think about it before you reply. Consider any machine that performs work like a bolder flying though the air and killing a person. Or a machine grinding grain propelled by falling water. Sure a man may have built it, but, it works without human input from the time it is constructed. If you say man is involved then what about what is involved in constructing the man machine.

So if a bird uses a stick as a tool it was because of human programming?

A bird can only do what it does because of "programming".

Building an aqueduct to direct water is a form of "programming".

Building a sharp edge to plow the earth is a form of "programming".

You cannot get any desired effect from any machine without "programming".

"Programming" is not limited to software. That is only one kind.

Back
Top Bottom