• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Consciousness

What happens to metal that is in your body in an MRI machine?

Pretending the field is weak is just a lie.

Not enough facepalms in the WORLD.

:picardfacepalm::picardfacepalm::picardfacepalm::picardfacepalm::picardfacepalm:

That is the response of a three year old.

Answer the question.

What happens to metal in the body if one is put into an MRI machine?

Don't try to sell me some nonsense that it is a weak field.

That is the response of a three year old.

Answer the question.

What happens to metal in the body if one is put into an MRI machine?

Don't try to sell me some nonsense that it is a weak field.

Do you... do you know how to read?

Yes.

I can clearly see somebody avoiding a very simple question.

What happens to metal in the body, even deep in the body, if one is put into an MRI machine?

Stop your adolescent handwaving and answer the question.

Do you... do you know how to read?

Yes.

What happens to metal in the body, even deep in the body, if one is put into an MRI machine?

Mythbusters answered that question when they explored the myth of the MRI being able to pull the iron out of ink tattoos.

Yes.

Mythbusters answered that question when they explored the myth of the MRI being able to pull the iron out of ink tattoos.

There is iron in the blood.

The question is about metal objects, not scattered iron atoms.

Metal objects like screws in the ankl are often not made of metal. Although some are made of stainless steel.

Metal objects like screws in the ankl are often not made of metal. Although some are made of stainless steel.

The ultimate question is: What is the power of the magnetic field the brain is exposed to?

Is it strong or weak?

Some here are claiming it is a weak field.

These magnetic fields have hurled oxygen tanks and chairs.

The ultimate question is: What is the power of the magnetic field the brain is exposed to?

Is it strong or weak?

If you're really interest4ed in answers, you do some searching on the internet. Such as:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2718968/

Is it strong or weak?

If you're really interest4ed in answers, you do some searching on the internet. Such as:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2718968/

That is out of left field. A look at brain cancer. And not looking at patients.

The question is how should we describe the magnetic field in an MRI machine? Weak or strong?

Looks like we need a primer on MRIs and Maxwell's equations.

An MRI has 3 main systems: the primary magnet, the secondary magnets, and the RF system.
  1. Primary magnet: This is the powerful magnetic field that everyone talks about when they say MRI uses a powerful magnetic field. It has field strengths up to some ridiculous number of Teslas (say 2 Tesla or more, depending on the scanner). Importantly, this field is STATIC.
  2. Secondary magnets: These are used to modify the primary field into a non-uniform 'shape'. Figure, on the order of mT. Once they're turned on, this field is STATIC.
  3. The RF system: This is the changing magnetic field and is used to cause the protons to precess. It is also on the order of milliTeslas, 100-1000 times weaker than the main field.

Contrast that to TMS, where the magnetic field also has strength on the order of 2 Tesla, but that 2T is rapidly cycling on/off.

What does Maxwell say about changing magnetic fields vs static ones?

Surely even you are not that stupid.

Surely.

How do you remember to breathe?

Surely.

What happens to the metal Einstein?

Tell me how oxygen tanks and chairs are thrown around by weak fields genius.

You are as wrong as you could be.

That is why you are doing nothing but hurling childish insults.

You bore me to tears with your infantile behavior and complete lack of any ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Just in case untermenche isn't brain dead, speaking out of his arse, or just being a damn t--d, here is the straight scoop. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Safety http://www.roamingaroundtheworld.co...4/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-16-at-6.50.02-PM.png

I'm not the one that can't seem to figure out how to create a link.

Surely.

You bore me to tears with your infantile behavior and complete lack of any ideas.

Please feel free to quote anyone (other than yourself) anywhere in this thread who claimed that MRIs do not generate strong magnetic fields.

Perhaps in the process of re-reading the thread in an attempt to find this non-existent claim, you might see just how badly wrong you are about this - but then, given your apparent inability to read anything that contradicts your preconceptions about what it ought to say, perhaps not.

You really are making a monumental fool of yourself here. Please feel free to double-down on it, it's quite amusing, and is strongly vindicating my earlier dismissiveness towards your ideas (which, until today, I was thinking might have been a little harsh).

You certainly owe beero1000 an apology for this turkey:

An MRI has 3 main systems: the primary magnet, the secondary magnets, and the RF system.
  1. Primary magnet: This is the powerful magnetic field that everyone talks about when they say MRI uses a powerful magnetic field. It has field strengths up to some ridiculous number of Teslas (say 2 Tesla or more, depending on the scanner). Importantly, this field is STATIC.
  2. Secondary magnets: These are used to modify the primary field into a non-uniform 'shape'. Figure, on the order of mT. Once they're turned on, this field is STATIC.
  3. The RF system: This is the changing magnetic field and is used to cause the protons to precess. It is also on the order of milliTeslas, 100-1000 times weaker than the main field.

Contrast that to TMS, where the magnetic field also has strength on the order of 2 Tesla, but that 2T is rapidly cycling on/off.

If you think the phrase:
"MRI uses a powerful magnetic field. It has field strengths up to some ridiculous number of Teslas (say 2 Tesla or more, depending on the scanner). Importantly, this field is STATIC."​
is synonymous with:
MRI uses only a weak magnetic field​
then the problem is one of reading comprehension on your part.

Please feel free to quote anyone (other than yourself) anywhere in this thread who claimed that MRIs do not generate strong magnetic fields.

Perhaps in the process of re-reading the thread in an attempt to find this non-existent claim, you might see just how badly wrong you are about this - but then, given your apparent inability to read anything that contradicts your preconceptions about what it ought to say, perhaps not.

You really are making a monumental fool of yourself here. Please feel free to double-down on it, it's quite amusing, and is strongly vindicating my earlier dismissiveness towards your ideas (which, until today, I was thinking might have been a little harsh).

If you think the phrase:
"MRI uses a powerful magnetic field. It has field strengths up to some ridiculous number of Teslas (say 2 Tesla or more, depending on the scanner). Importantly, this field is STATIC."​
is synonymous with:

Your irrelevant handwaving is noted.

What happens to metal in the body?

If you think the phrase:
is synonymous with:

Your irrelevant handwaving is noted.

You typed that response without having read what I wrote, didn't you?

Surely.

- - - Updated - - -

Just in case untermenche isn't brain dead, speaking out of his arse, or just being a damn t--d, here is the straight scoop. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Safety http://www.roamingaroundtheworld.co...4/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-16-at-6.50.02-PM.png

I'm not the one that can't seem to figure out how to create a link.

Twarn't that it was the wrong intended citation, I hit the wrong button on the menu which was the image I provided for north south argument on another thread.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Safety https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-mr

Thanks for the heads up and point out that most things are not conscious.

Just to be clear, I brought up the details of MRI to help others in the thread, not untermensche, as I've held the belief that he is incorrigible for a while now, and avoid engaging with his idiocy. I absolutely do not consider myself anything more than reasonably well-informed, but I've had a graduate-level course specifically on the math and physics of magnetic resonance imaging and know more about it than the average bear. It's too bad that he keeps upping the ante with the 'throwing bottles and chairs' thing, but to be absolutely, 100% clear, the processes used in imaging are much more complicated than just 'put them in a big magnet' - so I'll say it again:

According Maxwell's equations, it's the change in the magnetic flux over time that induces EMF, and that is the consciousness modifying effect that TMS uses to activate neurons. The magnetic field strength for an MRI is high, but relatively unchanging, so the time derivative yields an equivalent of a much smaller magnet turning on and off - by my quick calculations, only a few times stronger than the surface field of a refrigerator magnet. Note also that the relatively constant field of an MRI means whole-brain imaging is fine, while the fast change of large magnetic fields means that TMS needs to have a much more localized field, as inducing all your neurons to fire simultaneously gets you an express ticket to seizure-town. Consciousness-modifying indeed.

Just to be clear, I brought up the details of MRI to help others in the thread, not untermensche, as I've held the belief that he is incorrigible for a while now, and avoid engaging with his idiocy. I absolutely do not consider myself anything more than reasonably well-informed, but I've had a graduate-level course specifically on the math and physics of magnetic resonance imaging and know more about it than the average bear. It's too bad that he keeps upping the ante with the 'throwing bottles and chairs' thing, but to be absolutely, 100% clear, the processes used in imaging are much more complicated than just 'put them in a big magnet' - so I'll say it again:

According Maxwell's equations, it's the change in the magnetic flux over time that induces EMF, and that is the consciousness modifying effect that TMS uses to activate neurons. The magnetic field strength for an MRI is high, but relatively unchanging, so the time derivative yields an equivalent of a much smaller magnet turning on and off - by my quick calculations, only a few times stronger than the surface field of a refrigerator magnet. Note also that the relatively constant field of an MRI means whole-brain imaging is fine, while the fast change of large magnetic fields means that TMS needs to have a much more localized field, as inducing all your neurons to fire simultaneously gets you an express ticket to seizure-town. Consciousness-modifying indeed.

The MRI environment may cause harm in patients with MR-Unsafe devices such as cochlear implants, aneurysm clips, and many permanent pacemakers. In November 1992, a patient with an undisclosed cerebral aneurysm clip reportedly died shortly after an MRI exam.[35] Several deaths have been reported in patients with pacemakers who have undergone MRI scanning without appropriate precautions.[36] MR Conditional pacemakers are increasingly available for selected patients.[37]

Ferromagnetic foreign bodies such as shell fragments, or metallic implants such as surgical prostheses and ferromagnetic aneurysm clips are also potential risks. Interaction of the magnetic and radio frequency fields with such objects can lead to heating or torque of the object during an MRI.[38]

Projectile risk

The very high strength of the magnetic field can cause projectile effect (or "missile-effect") accidents, where ferromagnetic objects are attracted to the center of the magnet. Pennsylvania reported 27 cases of objects becoming projectiles in the MRI environment between 2004 and 2008.[39] There have been incidents of injury and death.[40][41] In one case, a 6-year-old boy died during an MRI exam, after a metal oxygen tank was pulled across the room and crushed the child's head.[42] To reduce the risk of projectile accidents, ferromagnetic objects and devices are typically prohibited near the MRI scanner, and patients undergoing MRI examinations must remove all metallic objects, often by changing into a gown or scrubs. Some radiology departments use ferromagnetic detection devices to ensure that no ferromagnetic objects enter the scanner room.[43][44]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

Refrigerator magnet?

I would check your math.

The MRI environment may cause harm in patients with MR-Unsafe devices such as cochlear implants, aneurysm clips, and many permanent pacemakers. In November 1992, a patient with an undisclosed cerebral aneurysm clip reportedly died shortly after an MRI exam.[35] Several deaths have been reported in patients with pacemakers who have undergone MRI scanning without appropriate precautions.[36] MR Conditional pacemakers are increasingly available for selected patients.[37]

Ferromagnetic foreign bodies such as shell fragments, or metallic implants such as surgical prostheses and ferromagnetic aneurysm clips are also potential risks. Interaction of the magnetic and radio frequency fields with such objects can lead to heating or torque of the object during an MRI.[38]

Projectile risk

The very high strength of the magnetic field can cause projectile effect (or "missile-effect") accidents, where ferromagnetic objects are attracted to the center of the magnet. Pennsylvania reported 27 cases of objects becoming projectiles in the MRI environment between 2004 and 2008.[39] There have been incidents of injury and death.[40][41] In one case, a 6-year-old boy died during an MRI exam, after a metal oxygen tank was pulled across the room and crushed the child's head.[42] To reduce the risk of projectile accidents, ferromagnetic objects and devices are typically prohibited near the MRI scanner, and patients undergoing MRI examinations must remove all metallic objects, often by changing into a gown or scrubs. Some radiology departments use ferromagnetic detection devices to ensure that no ferromagnetic objects enter the scanner room.[43][44]

Refrigerator magnet?

I would check your math.

^Still oblivious to his gross error, despite having it pointed out in detail by many different posters, the oblivious person continues to try to prove something that was never in dispute, while smug in the delusional belief that he is somehow contradicting the arguments against him. :rolleyes:

This is what happens when you assume that you know what people are going to say, and decide that they are wrong before you have actually read, and attempted to understand, their posts.

Projectile risk

Refrigerator magnet?

I would check your math.

^Still oblivious to his gross error, despite having it pointed out in detail by many different posters, the oblivious person continues to try to prove something that was never in dispute. :rolleyes:

This is what happens when you assume that you know what people are going to say, and decide that they are wrong before you have actually read, and attempted to understand, their posts.

Why do you run away from the most salient evidence of field strength?

I'm tired of your ignorant lectures.

Back
Top Bottom