• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives freaking out over the removal of Aunt Jemima

You mean like telling transwomen they are not women?

Nothing like that.

Also, 'transwomen' is transphobic. Trans women are women just like black women or white women or Australian women, and to write it as a single word is to betray that you don't consider trans women to be women. (No: I did not make that up. I don't have the sufficient mindset of the woke to imagine such high fantasy).
You feel compelled to repeat such babble? "transwomen" may be transphobic. It also might be ignorance or a slip of the finger while typing.
But, as for what you imagine to be a clever jab: I don't care what adult trans women call themselves or do to their bodies, just as I don't care if adult women want to apply lotion on to their skin to lighten its colour.

But I do object to trans women (and trans men) using the power of the State to force me to pretend I believe things I don't believe and to compel language they have no right to compel and to formulate policy based on the idea that sex segregation was actually gender segregation all along.

Sure Jan, that's why your snide remarks.

It is more than ironic to pretend that it is "the woke" who want or try to police people's preferences and no one else. It is more than ironic to act as if it is the "the woke" who try "to compel and to formulate policy" to their preferences while conveniently forgetting that resisting change is also a form of formulating policy to a set of preferences.

Proposing a change or resisting a change is one thing. It is the way of the world and the only methods we have to make life better. But complaining that group or person A is trying to police one's preferences but that group or person B who resists is not, is a display of incredible ignorance or hypocrisy.

You feel compelled to repeat such babble?

No, I don't feel 'compelled', but I do like to raise people's consciousness of the woke mindset. At least in that case, you cannot say you were not warned.

Sure Jan, that's why your snide remarks.

It is more than ironic to pretend that it is "the woke" who want or try to police people's preferences and no one else.

I didn't say nobody else tries to police people's preferences. Islamists would throw me off a building for my preferences.

It is more than ironic to act as if it is the "the woke" who try "to compel and to formulate policy" to their preferences while conveniently forgetting that resisting change is also a form of formulating policy to a set of preferences.

No: that depends on the change being resisted. If existing policy does not compel people to do something, then preserving it preserves noncompulsion.

Proposing a change or resisting a change is one thing. It is the way of the world and the only methods we have to make life better. But complaining that group or person A is trying to police one's preferences but that group or person B who resists is not, is a display of incredible ignorance or hypocrisy.

I did not mention a group 'B'. If group 'B' is 'people who don't want the government to compel speech', then yes, it is group B that is not guilty of trying to police preferences.

No, I don't feel 'compelled', but I do like to raise people's consciousness of the woke mindset. At least in that case, you cannot say you were not warned.
Assuming your alert is accurate.

No: that depends on the change being resisted. If existing policy does not compel people to do something, then preserving it preserves noncompulsion.
There is no policy that does not have a rule or compulsion to conform to the goals of the policy.

I did not mention a group 'B'. If group 'B' is 'people who don't want the government to compel speech', then yes, it is group B that is not guilty of trying to police preferences.
Of course it is guilty of trying to police preference - the preference to not have government compel speech.

Um...what Mexican stereotypes do you see on these products, Jason?

Seriously?
yeah, seriously.
I see women in clothes associated with a nationality. I know of some stereotypes my classmates used for seasonal workers, but i cannot see them expressed on these labels.
What's the offensive cvontent?

It's not offensive, but it is clearly stereotypically Mexican clothing. Stereotypes are not necessarily offensive, certainly not in all contexts. But it is still stereotypical. It would be like Texas Pete, the stereotype that Texans are cowboys.

yeah, seriously.
I see women in clothes associated with a nationality. I know of some stereotypes my classmates used for seasonal workers, but i cannot see them expressed on these labels.
What's the offensive cvontent?

It's not offensive, but it is clearly stereotypically Mexican clothing. Stereotypes are not necessarily offensive, certainly not in all contexts. .
I think it's a teensy bit of a stretch, calling the clothing a stereotype. It's certainly recognizable, but not much of a stereotype.

Still, if it is a stereotype, but not an offensive stereotype, why would the Woke be working to stamp it out?

Well, the mythical woke would mindlessly fight the suggestion of racial identity, according to some here, but what would drive real people to bitch?
"This logo offends because it portrays Mexican women ______."

Dressed? Cheerful? Able to cook?

But it is still stereotypical. It would be like Texas Pete, the stereotype that Texans are cowboys
Well, no. If i understand what you're saying, it would be like claiming all Texans dress as cowboys. That's what you just said the stereotype is, how they dress.

Besides, every Texan i have ever known would like the rest of us to think of them as real cowboys. Evan the ones who have been on fewer cattle drives than i have. It's less a stereotype than an identity.

I've been told that even positive stereotypes are harmful, such as "Asians are good at math."

Now that is no longer the case?
i dunno. You'll have to find someone who has said that, to defend that.

Negative Effects of Positive Stereotypes
'Strong' Black Woman? 'Smart' Asian Man? The Downside To Positive Stereotypes
The Pain of Positive Stereotypes

These are all from scholarly sources, not from opinion blogs. I found many more from a "woke" point of view.

Yes, though the point has obviously flown right over you.
It is possible, but, in your case, I doubt it. What was the point you think you were making?

There is a substantive moral difference between preferring not to be compelled to do something and preferring to compel other people to do things, and equating, as the same kind of 'preference policing', the absence of laws compelling people to do something with making law compelling people to do something is morally deranged.

I've been told that even positive stereotypes are harmful, such as "Asians are good at math."

Now that is no longer the case?
i dunno. You'll have to find someone who has said that, to defend that.

These are all from scholarly sources, not from opinion blogs. I found many more from a "woke" point of view.

So, you have the answer to your question.

But, do you accept that 'manner of dress' counts as a Mexican stereotype, positive or negative?

But, do you accept that 'manner of dress' counts as a Mexican stereotype, positive or negative?

Um, I'm the one who first pointed out that it was a stereotype. Maybe if you scroll up you'll find your answer to that.

Yes, though the point has obviously flown right over you.
It is possible, but, in your case, I doubt it. What was the point you think you were making?

There is a substantive moral difference between preferring not to be compelled to do something and preferring to compel other people to do things, and equating, as the same kind of 'preference policing', the absence of laws compelling people to do something with making law compelling people to do something is morally deranged.
Well, then society is filled "morally deranged" laws. For example, in most countries, there is a law mandating which side of the road traffic must take. It is ridiculous to categorize that law as "morally deranged".

More importantly, anyone's moral aesthetics is irrelevant to the validity of my observation that “There is no policy that does not have a rule or compulsion to conform to the goals of the policy.”

Um, I'm the one who first pointed out that it was a stereotype. Maybe if you scroll up you'll find your answer to that.

You did say the pictures were stereotypes. When i asked WHAT stereotypes, someone else said it was the clothing. Not you.

I still don't see what stereotype i'm supposed to hold when i see pretty, smiling women selling food. Is it different stereotype from pretty smiling women in kimonos selling tea? Or pretty smiling women in peasant dress selling olive oil?

Well, then society is filled "morally deranged" laws. For example, in most countries, there is a law mandating which side of the road traffic must take. It is ridiculous to categorize that law as "morally deranged".

More importantly, anyone's moral aesthetics is irrelevant to the validity of my observation that “There is no policy that does not have a rule or compulsion to conform to the goals of the policy.”

And as I said, there is no policy--yet--that compels people to use certain pronouns.

And as I said, there is no policy--yet--that compels people to use certain pronouns.
Whether or not to have such a policy means that the proponents and the opponents are pushing their preferences onto others. The "woke" are no different than anyone else (including you) in pushing their preferences onto others.

Back
Top Bottom