• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives freaking out over the removal of Aunt Jemima

R U saying because you are of irish descent it's OK you are a RACIST *
*needed to get your attention back on the thread of the thread

No I am saying I don't object to the leprechaun logo as such, but I do kind of object t it being attached to such a product.

The United Kingdom in general, and Scotland in particular, has become the model for how to treat your own citizens with absolute contempt.

Laughably, while Scotland persecutes her own citizens for "hate speech", its leaders bemoaned Brexit, even though the leaders couldn't convince their own people to leave the UK.

What does 'Scotland persecutes her own citizens for "hate speech"' and 'its leaders bemoaned Brexit' have to do with each other? Other than you dislike both, obviously.

The state of Scottish government leaders.

So now it's okay to harass leprechauns??

It is used as a slur against actual real living people.

Scottish Man Convicted Of Calling Ex-Girlfriend's Boyfriend A "Leprechaun"

We have achieved that glorious day where a Scot isn't allowed to make fun of an Irishman.

On the face of it, and assuming the fine was actually for using that term (and that there were not also other things involved) that’s definitely ott, imo.
——————————————
Regarding (a) the previously-posted ‘fighting Irish’ logo, that’s something that could definitely be called an offensive caricature of the Irish (eg me, sort of) but personally I think if we go down the route of trying to ‘cleanse’ everything like that it’ll get really silly.

Regarding (b) the Aunt Jemima OP thing, I say don’t raise much of a fuss either way. In some ways it’s good to drop potentially dodgy, baggage-carrying symbols if the issues are still ‘live’ (as in being currently problematical or controversial) which they are in the USA for African American race relations, but not for the Irish (or those of that heritage) in the USA, by and large.

Which is why I would not necessarily put the two things (a & b) on a par. It might, for example, partly explain why I’m ok with the Irish caricature but why some African Americans (and others) possibly might not be about Aunt Jemima.

Last edited:
I don't think "Cholula" is the name of the girl on the bottle...

None of those are Mexican companies, either, though Juanita's used to be Mexican-owned, as was the pre-Nestle predecessor to Abuelita.

I don't think "Cholula" is the name of the girl on the bottle...

None of those are Mexican companies, either, though Juanita's used to be Mexican-owned, as was the pre-Nestle predecessor to Abuelita.

Well, I just looked it up, and apparently Cholula was a Mexican company before it was acquired, but it's still produced in Mexico.

Rosarita is from Arizona, although, the founder seems to have been Latin American descent.

Just looking it up on their website, apparently Juanita's Menudo was started by Mexican Americans in California in the 50s. But if you are selling menudo, you are honorary Mexican.

None of these are really offensive, certainly not at all in the same way as Aunt Jemima. More akin to any sort of marketing which tries to come off as "old-fashioned, country style". I mean, the Mexicans themselves see these things like a costume, the Charro for example. I'll also note, in true Mexican fashion, these are all white people... maybe not the Cholula woman.

I'll also note, in true Mexican fashion, these are all white people... maybe not the Cholula woman.

We come in a bunch of colors and shades, some of us passing for white and some of us passing for black. The way the Spanish colonized, the closer you were to pure Spaniard the higher you were in status, the top being Spaniards from Spain and second being native born full Spaniards. Like in India, in the Latin countries the paler you are the higher your status.

In short - they can be white and Mexican at the same time.

I'll also note, in true Mexican fashion, these are all white people... maybe not the Cholula woman.

We come in a bunch of colors and shades, some of us passing for white and some of us passing for black. The way the Spanish colonized, the closer you were to pure Spaniard the higher you were in status, the top being Spaniards from Spain and second being native born full Spaniards. Like in India, in the Latin countries the paler you are the higher your status.

Apparently the woman on the Cholula label is the matriarch of the family that started the company. She looks pretty dignified. But if someone finds an old Cholula ad comparable to this:

jemima2.jpg

... or this:

aunt jemima.jpg

... I will agree with Jason that modern cultural forces, aka The Woke, will be gunning for her.

I know dude, my family is Guatemalan. I was being serious. Mexican is a nationality, and there are various racial categories in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.

Although, black Mexicans would be pretty rare. Maybe in the Yucatan.

Hindustan Unilever to rebrand ‘Fair & Lovely’ skin lightening cream.
I don’t know what they’re going to call it while still indicating the cream’s end goal.

They'll invent code that people will have to learn, and everyone's lives will be just that bit more difficult because the woke can't stop policing people's preferences.

Um...what Mexican stereotypes do you see on these products, Jason?

Seriously?
yeah, seriously.
I see women in clothes associated with a nationality. I know of some stereotypes my classmates used for seasonal workers, but i cannot see them expressed on these labels.
What's the offensive cvontent?

I don’t know what they’re going to call it while still indicating the cream’s end goal.

They'll invent code that people will have to learn, and everyone's lives will be just that bit more difficult because the woke can't stop policing people's preferences.
You mean like telling transwomen they are not women?

You mean like telling transwomen they are not women?

Nothing like that.

Also, 'transwomen' is transphobic. Trans women are women just like black women or white women or Australian women, and to write it as a single word is to betray that you don't consider trans women to be women. (No: I did not make that up. I don't have the sufficient mindset of the woke to imagine such high fantasy).

But, as for what you imagine to be a clever jab: I don't care what adult trans women call themselves or do to their bodies, just as I don't care if adult women want to apply lotion on to their skin to lighten its colour.

But I do object to trans women (and trans men) using the power of the State to force me to pretend I believe things I don't believe and to compel language they have no right to compel and to formulate policy based on the idea that sex segregation was actually gender segregation all along.

Back
Top Bottom