• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives freaking out over the removal of Aunt Jemima

It isn't a name, it's a racial pejorative. You can't collect trademark income for something other people call you, against your will and clear preference. I've been called a faggot many times in my life, but that doesn't mean I can corner the trademark for "Fag Pies" on that basis.
So are we just a couple slippery slope steps away from Taco Bell not mentioning "south of the border" in their advertising? ;)

I always took that as sexual innuendo. ;)

No, people have become far more informed about the issue, thus their responses have becomes less a reflection of what they know about the issue, and thus a stronger reflection of what they feel about race. Prior to 3 years ago, many people had not thought much about the issue and so were responding to a question that hadn't formed a real opinion about. We've had 3 years of near non-stop national coverage about the issue, including white supremacists and others openly displaying Nazi symbols and salutes marching to support the monuments. The % of people who respond to such a question now without having previously given it any thought or formed an opinion has massively declined.

IOW, the question is a more valid measure of racist attitudes today than it was 3 years ago, b/c other influences like lack of awareness have declined. And mountains of research shows that people are generally biased toward inaction and the status quo, which would bias the uninformed toward not doing anything and leaving the monuments since they are already there. It's those people who have shifted their position, leaving the "Oppose removing the monuments position" to those people who over the last 3 years of highly coverage have though about it, seen the KKK and Neo-Nazis marching to preserve the statues, read about how the klan backed building many of these statues to oppose the civil rights efforts, have seen the public anguish caused to black people who rationally view these as threats and endorsements of slavery, and yet still decided, "Yep I'm with the klan and neo-Nazis on this one!"

So, 44 per cent of people in the United States are racist, and probably irredeemably so, given that they've had "3 years of near non-stop national coverage" to get informed and have not been so informed?

That's not at all too high, given other indices of racist attitudes. But there is a margin of error around that. There may still be small pockets of people who've paid no attention to national political issues in years, plus those whose clinical levels of mental deficiencies prevent them from grasping the issue (I mentioned them in my original post), and then there are also a few who misunderstood the question. It's plausible that combined they account 10%, leaving as few as 34% who really are aware of the issue and understand the history still want blacks to pay to support monuments to honor traitors who killed US soldiers to preserve slavery. And yeah, by any rational notion of racial bigotry that would be sufficient to qualify. But note that the original question was whether a majority of conservatives are racist. Even with these and maybe additional sources of measurement error, the 80% for Republicans puts the estimate for conservatives comfortably above 50%.

As for whether those people are "irredeemably racist", nothing implies that. The information I mentioned only informs them about the monument issue and thus makes their position a reflection of their position on promoting pro-slavery traitors. Information about the monument issue wouldn't itself change their underlying racism, it just increases the influence of underlying racism on their response to the question about monuments by reducing the influence of ignorance. That means most of those still opposing the removal of the monuments are racist, but it doesn't mean there is no hope they can't change, especially the younger ones.

The thing I don't get is why any white person gives a.shit when a company decides to do away with a controversial symbol that should have been ended a long time ago. Aren't there better things to be outraged over?
It's not the symbol. It's that people who have been against the synmbol for years appear to suddenly have the power to make changes happen. That's scsry freaking shit. That they have power, or clout, or influence, and they know it. Which means they WILL use it.

So, naturally, some people will try to talk them out of using it, before they start changing things that are really important. Wages, voting, designated hitter, representation....
Not the designated hitter rule!!

NNooooooooo... :p

All seems sorta counter productive. Is the goal to have no non-White brand mascots? Little Debbie is safe. Ditto Mr. Clean and Burger King.

I realize some people get used or attached to the icon of a brand, but it seems a bit over the top get to upset about the demise of a brand's icon. In the world we live in right now, what happens to any particular brand icon seems very inconsequential.

Firms get to decide how to run their business. Sometimes business decisions are not unanimously popular.

I heard they are changing the icon of Aunt Jemina to
unnamed.jpg

(For those who don't know, that is Jemina Puddle Duck from Beatrix Potter)

So, 44 per cent of people in the United States are racist, and probably irredeemably so, given that they've had "3 years of near non-stop national coverage" to get informed and have not been so informed?

That's not at all too high, given other indices of racist attitudes. But there is a margin of error around that.

Yes, but as far as I can tell from your posts, everything except "obediently agrees with me" is an indicator of racist attitudes.

All seems sorta counter productive. Is the goal to have no non-White brand mascots? Little Debbie is safe. Ditto Mr. Clean and Burger King.

There's still Cletus McFarely's Redneck Tire and Wheel Alignment, where you get a free carton of cigarettes with a purchase of four tires.

I realize some people get used or attached to the icon of a brand, but it seems a bit over the top get to upset about the demise of a brand's icon. In the world we live in right now, what happens to any particular brand icon seems very inconsequential.

Firms get to decide how to run their business. Sometimes business decisions are not unanimously popular.

View attachment 28313

This is progress? Replacing a black person with a duck? I don't think this is going to go over very well.

View attachment 28313

This is progress? Replacing a black person with a duck? I don't think this is going to go over very well.

I think laughing dog was joking.

So now it's okay to harass leprechauns??

It is used as a slur against actual real living people.

Scottish Man Convicted Of Calling Ex-Girlfriend's Boyfriend A "Leprechaun"

We have achieved that glorious day where a Scot isn't allowed to make fun of an Irishman.

The United Kingdom in general, and Scotland in particular, has become the model for how to treat your own citizens with absolute contempt.

Laughably, while Scotland persecutes her own citizens for "hate speech", its leaders bemoaned Brexit, even though the leaders couldn't convince their own people to leave the UK.

View attachment 28313

Why not?
I mean, even assuming he wasn't joking, why would anyone care about replacing a stereotype with a cartoon?

View attachment 28313

I think laughing dog was joking.
Absolutely.

NBC started out with a drawing of a microphone with stylized radio and sound waves as it's logo.

Then it switched to a 3-key xylophone.

Then it switched to a peacock.

Then it had a dot that became a line that lengthened, twisted, and turned into conjoined letters N and B on top of a letter C.

Then it switched to a stylized letter N made of red and blue trapezoids on a white background.

Then it put the peacock over the N.

Then it went back to just the peacock.

People got over it. Even the conservatives.

So now it's okay to harass leprechauns??

It is used as a slur against actual real living people.

Scottish Man Convicted Of Calling Ex-Girlfriend's Boyfriend A "Leprechaun"

We have achieved that glorious day where a Scot isn't allowed to make fun of an Irishman.

The United Kingdom in general, and Scotland in particular, has become the model for how to treat your own citizens with absolute contempt.

Laughably, while Scotland persecutes her own citizens for "hate speech", its leaders bemoaned Brexit, even though the leaders couldn't convince their own people to leave the UK.

What does 'Scotland persecutes her own citizens for "hate speech"' and 'its leaders bemoaned Brexit' have to do with each other? Other than you dislike both, obviously.

And how is the latter laughable? A major talking point in the anti- independence campaign was the danger that an independent Scotland might drop it if the eu and be unable to rejoin. It very much stands to reason that the independence referendum would have had a very different outcome if Brexit were already a thing then.

That's a good question. It gets into how those terms are understood in the context of American society when the brands debuted and throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries.

Do you know why Uncle Remus wasn't called Mr. Remus by those two white children in Song of the South? If you do, then you know why 'Uncle' Ben and 'Aunt' Jemima are problematic brand names, especially when paired with their original artwork.

And that's exactly what I meant by hypersensitivity and the desire of many white people (like you) to endlessly self-flagellate.

Ah, but here you give the game away.

Using a proper title of respect for those black characters offends you much you equate it with self-flagellation.

This isn't about you wanting to preserve a beloved brand of pancake mix, it's about you defending racist caricatures.

"uncle first name" and "aunt/ auntie first name" were slaveowners way of showing "respect" to adult domestic slaves,including aunt for mammies. In the same time period, white actual aunts and uncles would, I believe, be called formally "Aunt/Uncle first name surname" or just "Aunt/Uncle surname".

I apologize. Since it was to difficult for you, I will spell it out in easy to understand words.
I see you are digging in. Really trying for that medal I see.

But really slowly for you:
Criticizing .... actions ... of ... an ... individual ... business ... or ... even .... being ... against ... corporatism ... is .... not ...the .... same ... as ... being ... against ... capitalism.

Well, the proof of the pancake mix will be in the sales. Remember, there are other pancake mixes out there for sale. If the sales of the rebranded pancake mix increase, your objection will turn out to be at best picayune. If they decrease, the marketplace will have provided its discipline. Do you intend to boycott the rebranded goods. . . or do you make pancakes from scratch, or at all. . . ?

Yes, recent polls show 80% of Republicans are still opposed the removal of monuments erected by white supremacists as a reaction against civil rights efforts and to honor traitors who killed US soldiers to preserve slavery, and of specific individuals known to history solely b/c of those efforts to preserve slavery.

I define racism as judging people by skin color. You define it as resisting removal of statues. It would help if we define it the same way.

These are statutes honoring people who judged people by their skin colour. It would help if your second sentence defined "removal of statues" more circumstantially, so that we could see clearly what is being resisted.

Back
Top Bottom