• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives wonder why they're dying of covid

Not a Trump supporter. You'd be known as a Trumpsucker. You could say you agree with Trump that the the sky is blue, and you will be forever known as a Trumpsucker here.

"Trump supporter" was the term used. Apparently, some staff members cannot distinguish between a straight ticket Democrat voter and a Trump supporter.
Even when I ask, specifically, why xe posted that.
Tom

Who used the term "Trump supporter"?

Let me strive for reconciliation.

The little old lady around the corner who thinks she was abducted by a UFO isn't causing trouble. This subthread isn't about her. We are concerned with conspiracy theories which have a sizable effect on election outcomes, lead to acts of domestic terrorism, hinder response to pandemics, and/or erode the social fabric of American society. "Conspiracy theories" are only a part of the deleterious propaganda: exaggerations, mistruths, and lies are also a problem; and indeed conspiracy theories become dangerous because assholes like Hannity, McConnell, Tucker C. or Trump endorse them for financial or partisan gain.

Just clicking a link upthread we see
* Texas Gov. Greg Abbott -- accepted Jade Helm crackpottery (Obama was mounting an attack against red states).
* Republican National Committee -- denounced Agenda 21 as an insidious scheme to impose communism.
* Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul -- announced that Obama and the Ds planned to confiscate guns.
* Sean Hannity and other FoxNews hosts -- exposed Islamist terrorist training camps in the U.S.
* Sen. Rand Paul and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee -- appeared to agree that gay men orchestrated the Holocaust.

Republican, Republican National Company, two Republicans, the Republican Lie Channel, 2 more Republicans ... See a pattern here?
That's without even getting to Trump. John McCain famously corrected the Deplorables who told him Obama was a Muslim terrorist. Seen any Republicans do anything like that lately?

TomC wrote "But it isn't just right wingers. I see it happening all over the place. ... Pointing out the reality of modern American society ..."
Another represented this as typical Republican tu quoque.
TomC said his view was more nuanced than that. I want to give Tom the benefit of the doubt, but his quotes do not hint at any nuance.
Let's ask him:

(I) Consider the universe of propaganda and lies which have sizable effect on election outcomes, lead to acts of domestic terrorism, and/or erode the social fabric of American society. Among those lies which have a clear partisan bias, D vs R, about what percentage are lies favored by Rs, or improving R electoral outcomes?
(a) 92%
(b) 94%
(c) 96%
(d) 98%
(e) other __​

Not a Trump supporter. You'd be known as a Trumpsucker. You could say you agree with Trump that the the sky is blue, and you will be forever known as a Trumpsucker here.

"Trump supporter" was the term used. Apparently, some staff members cannot distinguish between a straight ticket Democrat voter and a Trump supporter.
Even when I ask, specifically, why xe posted that.
Tom

You did.

I PMed you asking why. I explained myself. You didn't respond.

I posted asking you why. You didn't respond with anything at all.

I'm quite sure it was you. If I'm mistaken, and it was someone else, my sincere apologies.
Tom

ETA ~Angry Floof referred to me as a Trump fan. Not a Trump supporter. My apologies for the mistake.~

It's a problem I'm finding here on TFT. Straw man arguments. Nuanced opinions, firmly held, get turned into the black and white thinking. If I don't agree with a member about everything, I seem like a Trump supporter.
Tom

No, we think you're a trumpsucker because your posts in defense of trump are indistinguishable from posts by trump fans.

We know Trump is a massive embarrassment and maybe you don't like him, but you still defend him and his cult as if you did. What's the point of claiming not to be a trump supporter when no one can tell the difference between you and them?

As for TomC, I don't believe he is a trump supporter. I just disagreed with him earlier and he accused me of believing that. Kind of ironic and hypocritical to automatically assume something like that about someone else just because they disagree with you, don't you think?

You did.

I PMed you asking why. I explained myself. You didn't respond.

I posted asking you why. You didn't respond with anything at all.

I'm quite sure it was you. If I'm mistaken, and it was someone else, my sincere apologies.
Tom
Oh, I said that you seemed like a trump fan who was trying to seem more liberal. That's a long shot from saying you're a trump supporter, which, again, I don't believe you are. Also, that was over a month ago when you were newer here. But I do believe your way of thinking is very right wing and you do spew some atrocious shit. Just my impression based on your posts. Over the years, we have often seen users who start out conservative and/or religious and end up transitioning to more secular and liberal views over time, but in the process say things that reveal their struggle.

As for "both sides are the same," your comment that "it isn't just right wingers" is at best unhelpful and at worst an attempt to diminish the destructive and violent nature of right wing conspiracy theorists in our society. We know it's "not just" right wingers. But it's the right wingers who are at this time in our history believing any bullshit that undermines our democracy. It's a bit more serious at the moment than believing crystals will heal your pink eye.

So what was your point in saying "it's not just right wingers"? Just to state the obvious yet irrelevant? It's right wingers who are posing the greater threat by far. Can you address that without trying to move the focus from where it belongs?

OMG: Parler is asking for Social Security numbers? I knew those who joined were idiots but I didn't think they were that stupid....

Upon further investigation, that was an exaggeration on my part. You need to provide your SS number or a photocopy of your driver's license/passport to perform basic functions like direct messaging. If you just want to lurk, it isn't required.

No.
I'm saying that AF changed what I said into "both sides are the same". I didn't say that. I don't mean that.

It's a problem I'm finding here on TFT. Straw man arguments. Nuanced opinions, firmly held, get turned into the black and white thinking. If I don't agree with a member about everything, I seem like a Trump supporter.
Tom

Nuanced opinions are pretty detailed. "But it isn't just right wingers. I see it happening all over the place.", can very easily be interpreted as "both sides" or whataboutism-lite. There is zero nuance in that assertion. You provided no context as to how you believe what the proportion of right wing vs left wing bullshit theories is. It's the equivalent of saying, "But (x) does it too". Which again, isn't very nuanced.

So, do you have any evidence whatsoever that "conservatives" or "Republicans" are the only ones getting/dying from COVID?

There is a difference, albeit a very subtle one, between saying that "Republicans are the only ones dying from Covid" and laughing at dumbcunt Trumpsuckers who are convinced that "Republicans are the only ones dying from Covid".

Very nuanced, I know. I totally understand how the distinction flew past you. But to answer your question, no I don't have any evidence and to be frank I believe anyone who promotes such asinine conspiracies are completely full of shit. Simply put you are asking the wrong crowd as the people who are promoting such an idiotic claim are on Parler and I suspect/hope, not members of this forum. I'm afraid that I can't help you in challenging stupid fuckwits who believe such crap as to be a member you need a US social security number, apparently.

OMG: Parler is asking for Social Security numbers? I knew those who joined were idiots but I didn't think they were that stupid....

You don't need a Social Security number to join Parler; Parler is not 'asking' for them.

However, if you want boneheaded moves by social media giants, remember when Facebook said 'send nudes'?

Back
Top Bottom