• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives wonder why they're dying of covid

What help would you suggest?

Why don't you go help them and show us how it's done?

Been doing it for years. Ran a food bank for five years. Nobody died.

Coached deprived children in baseball and basketball for about a decade. Kids stayed in school.

Proper pairing of expectations with tasks helps.

Sometimes it's tough. Coached a kid who had AIDS. Parents only paid attention to him neglected his uninfected brother. Got kid with AIDS to invite his brother to play with our team. Parents didn't learn but normal neglected kid did. Other parents finally accepted the AIDS child and we had two great seasons.

So, do you have any evidence whatsoever that "conservatives" or "Republicans" are the only ones getting/dying from COVID?

Nah. Virii don't care who they kill.
OTOH, Trumptards do seem to be the only ones dying from COVID while protesting that they don't have COVID.
The myth that they are screaming "COVID is a hoax!" while being ventilated is just that though - people are sedated before being put on a ventilator.
The OP does illustrate one thing clearly though - many right wingers don't know anyone who isn't part of their own little echo chamber. That's why it seems impossible to them that Trump lost the election - every single person they know, voted for him. And of course the only COVID deaths they hear about are people they know or know of - also part of their "alternate facts" group.

Hope this clears it up for you - I know you're so concerned that people might be speaking ill of your own conservo-cult. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn’t a group of people who refuse to take precautions be more likely to be infected?

And how did you leap from “more likely” to “only ones”?

This sort of leap — "some" to "all", "51%" to "100%", etc. — is very frequently encountered. It usually is just a symptom of failed cognition, but I think it can also infect, consciously or subconsciously, propagandists who seek to deceive. Can Metaphor do better than this?

This particular bit of right wing delusion might be a few people today, but conspiracy theories grow like Monsanto weeds among Trump cultists. There is no reasoning or discernment going on there.
I agree.

But it isn't just right wingers. I see it happening all over the place.
Tom

Ah, ok. "Both sides are the same." Thanks for letting me know you can be ignored now.

What help would you suggest?

Why don't you go help them and show us how it's done?

Been doing it for years. Ran a food bank for five years. Nobody died.

Coached deprived children in baseball and basketball for about a decade. Kids stayed in school.

Proper pairing of expectations with tasks helps.

Sometimes it's tough. Coached a kid who had AIDS. Parents only paid attention to him neglected his uninfected brother. Got kid with AIDS to invite his brother to play with our team. Parents didn't learn but normal neglected kid did. Other parents finally accepted the AIDS child and we had two great seasons.

I fail to see how any of that would affect the delusion in right wing heads. Are you suggesting that giving them hot food or coaching their kids will break the trumpy dipshit spell they are under?

This particular bit of right wing delusion might be a few people today, but conspiracy theories grow like Monsanto weeds among Trump cultists. There is no reasoning or discernment going on there.
I agree.

But it isn't just right wingers. I see it happening all over the place.
Tom

Ah, ok. "Both sides are the same." Thanks for letting me know you can be ignored now.

Seriously?
Pointing out the reality of modern American society causes you to put members on ignore?

I guess that explains why you think I'm a Trump supporter.
Tom

TomC said:
I agree. [] But it isn't just right wingers. I see it happening all over the place.
Tom

Seriously?
Pointing out the reality of modern American society causes you to put members on ignore?

I guess that explains why you think I'm a Trump supporter.
Tom
I didn't think you were a Trumpist; and I DO want to listen to you, not put you on Ignore. But my agreement with your opinions has been ... uneven.

On the claim in the inner quote, may I ask you this:
HYPOTHETICALLY Suppose we opened a thread, betting $300 per person or so. To win the pot, I and my team would need to produce ten examples of serious Trumpist conspiracy for every single example you and your team come up with of serious liberal conspiracy.

Would you be happy about that bet? If not, what right-wing/left-wing ratio would you want to make it a fair bet? Twenty to one?

It is true that persons both left and right politically are equally affected by conspiracy thinking. At least I've read enough on the subject and seen the results of enough studies to feel sufficiently informed. Some of those studies asked specifically about election results and for belief if there was cheating. Unsurprisingly the losers, whether democratic or conservative, were equally likely to claim there was cheating. But those were basically academic studies with some questions concerning election results.

The question is whether we've ever seen a liberal action like the conservative/republican fiasco we're presently seeing. I've never witnessed such a phenomenon. Can anyone point me to something that compares to what we are seeing presently from republicans and trumpsters?

I fail to see how any of that would affect the delusion in right wing heads. Are you suggesting that giving them hot food or coaching their kids will break the trumpy dipshit spell they are under?

It might help to reduce its frequencey...
Those already "infected' are damaged goods. I don't know if there is any help for them.

The article Angry Floof links to actually does speculate that conservatives are more likely to be infected and that conservatives are noticing the pattern. But, as you say, perhaps Angry Floof only wanted to make fun of 'dumbcunt Trumpsuckers' for their mistaken beliefs.

Very nuanced, I know. I totally understand how the distinction flew past you. But to answer your question, no I don't have any evidence and to be frank I believe anyone who promotes such asinine conspiracies are completely full of shit. Simply put you are asking the wrong crowd as the people who are promoting such an idiotic claim are on Parler and I suspect/hope, not members of this forum. I'm afraid that I can't help you in challenging stupid fuckwits who believe such crap as to be a member you need a US social security number, apparently.

No, you do not need a U.S. social security number.

Why wouldn’t a group of people who refuse to take precautions be more likely to be infected?

From the comments that AF posted in the OP.

This sort of leap — "some" to "all", "51%" to "100%", etc. — is very frequently encountered. It usually is just a symptom of failed cognition, but I think it can also infect, consciously or subconsciously, propagandists who seek to deceive. Can Metaphor do better than this?

Do better than what? I am quoting the people in the OP.

So, do you have any evidence whatsoever that "conservatives" or "Republicans" are the only ones getting/dying from COVID?

Nah. Virii don't care who they kill.
OTOH, Trumptards do seem to be the only ones dying from COVID while protesting that they don't have COVID.
The myth that they are screaming "COVID is a hoax!" while being ventilated is just that though - people are sedated before being put on a ventilator.
The OP does illustrate one thing clearly though - many right wingers don't know anyone who isn't part of their own little echo chamber. That's why it seems impossible to them that Trump lost the election - every single person they know, voted for him. And of course the only COVID deaths they hear about are people they know or know of - also part of their "alternate facts" group.

Hope this clears it up for you - I know you're so concerned that people might be speaking ill of your own conservo-cult. :rolleyes:

You haven't cleared anything up, but you've used the opportunity to attempt to insult me, so, congratulations I guess?

It is true that persons both left and right politically are equally affected by conspiracy thinking. At least I've read enough on the subject and seen the results of enough studies to feel sufficiently informed. Some of those studies asked specifically about election results and for belief if there was cheating. Unsurprisingly the losers, whether democratic or conservative, were equally likely to claim there was cheating. But those were basically academic studies with some questions concerning election results.
Links, please.

Links, please.
Thank-you for keeping me honest. A quick google search yields this one, 2014 material.

Conspiracy theories aren’t just for conservatives

I just googled "conspiracy thinking left and right politics." Lots more possible reads. Let me know your thoughts.

Links, please.
Thank-you for keeping me honest. A quick google search yields this one, 2014 material.

Conspiracy theories aren’t just for conservatives

I just googled "conspiracy thinking left and right politics." Lots more possible reads. Let me know your thoughts.

I wonder if there is any research on how people respond to new evidence contradicting those beliefs. In other words, how long do people hang on to beliefs and why, in the face of evidence. And I mean evidence, not just contradiction and argumentation. (We know that doesn't sway people and even makes some people dig in deeper.) I mean actually seeing that your information is not true.

People are not conservative or liberal just because that's what they were brought up to be, though that is a strong factor, but how people think and perceive the world will attract them to certain ideologies. As the word liberal means "open, free," people who think and perceive more openly tend to be more liberal. Are you more open to change, new ideas, new experiences, other cultures? Most likely liberal ideologies will appeal to you.

That's why I'd like to see research on changing one's mind where the rubber meets the road. More open to change and new ideas means more open changing one's mind about something. I know I've certainly changed my mind on a great many things over the last 10-15 years, that's for sure. Politics, religion, my whole mental framework really.

Back
Top Bottom