• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Contact Day

JonA

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Theism
Columbus Day? Indigenous Peoples Day?

Why choose?

Now you don't have to.

Contact Day recognizes the historic event and reflects on all of its aspects - the good and the bad.

Why choose?

Now you don't have to.

Contact Day recognizes the historic event and reflects on all of its aspects - the good and the bad.

Meh. Who cares? No one gets the day off work, anyway, so it's like the lamest holiday ever.

Why choose?

Now you don't have to.

Meh. Who cares? No one gets the day off work, anyway, so it's like the lamest holiday ever.
Flag Day? At least kids get Columbus Day off.

Man, I've gotten burned a couple times after driving to City Hall to drop off documents on Columbus Day over the years.

If I were the commander of an alien fleet looking to kill off the majority of humanity and steal their world, I'd time the arrival of my forces so that we showed up on Columbus Day. Give the humans a little bit of an ironic chuckle before the plasma cannons start leveling their cities.

If I were the commander of an alien fleet looking to kill off the majority of humanity and steal their world, I'd time the arrival of my forces so that we showed up on Columbus Day. Give the humans a little bit of an ironic chuckle before the plasma cannons start leveling their cities.
Also, Christians and other theists would take that as a proof that there is a God: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought_Day

Change it to Erikson Day, and piss everyone off....

Change it to Erikson Day, and piss everyone off....

I wouldn't mind it, at least he didn't kill anyone when he came over, plus it would be an excuse to dress like a Viking and drink
How do you know he didn't kill anyone? And if he didn't, would it really be a that good of a national holiday? All other holidays are based on killing something; thanksgiving, Christmas, easter, memorial day, international murder day, valentine's day...

Excellent idea. Then, when we make contact with aliens on other worlds, we'll already have a holiday in place to celebrate our slavery. :)

I wouldn't mind it, at least he didn't kill anyone when he came over, plus it would be an excuse to dress like a Viking and drink
How do you know he didn't kill anyone? And if he didn't, would it really be a that good of a national holiday? All other holidays are based on killing something; thanksgiving, Christmas, easter, memorial day, international murder day, valentine's day...

As Elixer mentioned, there's no evidence their party encountered anyone. Subsequent voyages, including one by Leif's brother, document some hostilities with natives - though in the grand scheme of things they were relatively minor skirmishes, and certainly not on the order of Columbus or Cortez.

Back
Top Bottom