• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

...Healthy people who wear face masks don't know how to handle them and usually don't wear eye protection
What kind of eye protection are you talking about here?
Full head protection (motorcycle helmet) would have been great :)

You probably did not realize this. Most people don't. Virus particles are so small that they can enter through the eyes.
First of all, I am not most people and second of all I am well aware of that.
You can get filters that stop them from being inhaled, but you need goggles with air-tight seals to prevent infection through the eyes. If you look at teams of people treating patients infected with the coronavirus and other new forms of influenza, you should notice that they are not only wearing hazmat suits, but goggles.
So? Hazmat suit is not practical for ordinary people. I suggested full head mask, which covers hair, eyes and filters all air entering inside of the mask.

You probably did not realize this. Most people don't. Virus particles are so small that they can enter through the eyes.
You can get filters that stop them from being inhaled, but you need goggles with air-tight seals to prevent infection through the eyes. If you look at teams of people treating patients infected with the coronavirus and other new forms of influenza, you should notice that they are not only wearing hazmat suits, but goggles.
So? Hazmat suit is not practical for ordinary people. I suggested full head mask, which covers hair, eyes and filters all air entering inside of the mask.

Sorry, barbos. I took your remark to be sarcastic rather than serious. I don't think that a motorcycle helmet would be more practical than a hood made of soft material, preferably plastic. Helmets aren't comfortable, because they are bulky and rigid. Most people would not even want to wear goggles in public casually. In reality, there really isn't much the public can do with a virus that spreads like a cold virus other than to rely on frequent hand-washing. Only people with symptoms or who suspect they have been exposed to an illness should be wearing face masks, although they do help to prevent people from touching their own faces.

Dead: 813 (exceeded SARS as predicted 2 days ago)
Infected: 37,553

The good news. number of infected shows signs of slowing down.

Sorry, barbos. I took your remark to be sarcastic rather than serious. I don't think that a motorcycle helmet would be more practical than a hood made of soft material, preferably plastic. Helmets aren't comfortable, because they are bulky and rigid. Most people would not even want to wear goggles in public casually. In reality, there really isn't much the public can do with a virus that spreads like a cold virus other than to rely on frequent hand-washing. Only people with symptoms or who suspect they have been exposed to an illness should be wearing face masks, although they do help to prevent people from touching their own faces.
It does not have to be literally like motorcycle helmet. It can be small and light.

Somebody ran an experient.

A set of people were picked out at random on the west coast from telephone books, a different time.

A set of people were randomly selected on the east coast were given envelopes with the west coast addresses. The instruction were to hand them off until it reached the address.

They would look for people headed west and it could be strangers.

I forget the average number of handoffs but it was not very high. A new virulent bug could rip through the country.

It was Greenland or Iceland that was used to study the spread of flu. Small population and fairly isolated. You can see time plots on how it spread.

I read an Army study. Two barracks. Both were 1/2 flu and 1/2 not infected. One barracks had a common bathroom, the other did not. The barracks with the isolated bathroom had a much lower transfer rate.

Hands touching surfaces to mouth, nose, and eyes.

It's buildings with beds and nurses.

...or to use the English word, "Hospitals". :rolleyes:

GettyImages-1198897007-800x533.jpg

We got a picture inside one. Beds & nurses, note the lack of medical equipment.

I'd call that hospice. Making them comfortable as possible waiting death.

It does not have to be literally like motorcycle helmet. It can be small and light.

I saw a picture of someone in China who came up with a homemade solution: wrap the head in plastic wrap above the eye mask. This many had his eye glasses covered over, but he seemed to be able to see well enough to function.

I saw a picture of someone in China who came up with a homemade solution: wrap the head in plastic wrap above the eye mask. This many had his eye glasses covered over, but he seemed to be able to see well enough to function.

Some are wearing swimming goggles.

Swimming goggles are a good choice.

Barbos, as long as you are monitoring this crisis, what do you make of the following report?

Coronavirus: Russian media hint at US conspiracy

Do you watch Vremya, and have you seen these reports? We get a lot of conspiracy junk on US TV, but I thought that Vremya would have had a little bit higher standard. Do you know people who take these fake reports seriously? Is the Russian government warning media outlets not to spread misinformation about the virus, or is it just anti-Western propaganda?

Barbos, as long as you are monitoring this crisis, what do you make of the following report?

Do you watch Vremya, and have you seen these reports? We get a lot of conspiracy junk on US TV, but I thought that Vremya would have had a little bit higher standard. Do you know people who take these fake reports seriously? Is the Russian government warning media outlets not to spread misinformation about the virus, or is it just anti-Western propaganda?

by "higher standard" do you mean their lies would be better camouflaged than Pravda's primitive lies?

Dead: 910 (exceeded 2012 MERS )
Infected: 40,553

Some estimates say there are half a million people infected.

I don't watch russian TV, but I agree Vremya is supposed to be classier that that. But I have not watched it since I was a kid in Soviet Union so don't know, it could be BBC misrepresenting. "Vremya Pokazhet" is propagandatainment crap. I noticed old/retired folk like it and it is runs during day, so people who work don't usually watch it, but I can be wrong.
I watch CNN and Discovery/SciFi/FOX and stuff like that. Russian news is from internet, exclusively.
Classical over-the-air TV is not popular with young people it seems, they only watch smartphones.

I don't watch russian TV, but I agree Vremya is supposed to be classier that that. But I have not watched it since I was a kid in Soviet Union so don't know, it could be BBC misrepresenting. "Vremya Pokazhet" is propagandatainment crap. I noticed old/retired folk like it and it is runs during day, so people who work don't usually watch it, but I can be wrong.
I watch CNN and Discovery/SciFi/FOX and stuff like that. Russian news is from internet, exclusively.
Classical over-the-air TV is not popular with young people it seems, they only watch smartphones.

Interesting. I had never heard of "Vremya Pokazhet" before, but your point may be correct. The US has a history of TV shows that promote tabloid stories, and the content attributed to "Vremya" struck me as tabloid-sounding. And the fact that old/retired folks like to watch "Vremya Pokazhet" would make the show prone to running such material. Are they on Channel One? That is the channel where these stories are said to be broadcast from.

There is no free press in Russia. Does anyone want to argue the opposite?

Putin managed to prevent the running of political opponents. A history of assassinating reporters.

I watched some of the Russian shows on cable video. Looks like the old Soviet stuff. Anybody remember Vladimir Pozner, the Soviet era apologist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Pozner_(journalist)

I doubt it's even that.

I think this is more about preventing other infections than the patients.

I think you are right. It looks more like a quarantine ward to keep the infected away from the public. Quarantining people infected with serious communicable diseases is a quite old policy. During the plague in Europe there were islands designated where infected or those suspected of having been exposed were sent. There was a leper colony on an island in Hawaii until the mid 1900s. Today, there are several cruise ships that are quarantined to keep those aboard that are infected and those who may have been exposed from mixing with the general population.

Last edited:

I doubt it's even that.

I think this is more about preventing other infections than the patients.

I think you are right. It looks more like a quarantine ward to keep the infected away from the public. Quarantining people infected with serious communicable diseases is a quite old policy. During the plague in Europe there were islands designated where infected or those suspected of having been exposed were sent. There was a leper colony on an island in Hawaii until the mid 1900s. Today, there are several cruise ships that are quarantined to keep those aboard that are infected and those who may have been exposed from mixing with the general population.

But when you fail to make the quarantine at least as comfortable as staying at home it doesn't work very well.

Back
Top Bottom