• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Could Obama run as VP?

Actually, it's unclear whether or not he could run as VP, according to Snopes. But, you could have looked up that answer yourself.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/former-president-becomes-vice-president/

Congress passed the 22nd amendment, ratified by the requisite number of states in 1951, which created a two-term limit for future Presidents. That amendment (along with earlier constitutional restrictions) would seem to disqualify Barack Obama from ever again attaining the office of President or Vice President of the United States, as he was elected to, and served, two full terms in that office between 2009 and 2017.

However, the wording of the 22nd Amendment doesn’t literally say that no one can be President for more than two terms; only that no one can be elected President more than twice:

Again we bump into some problems of literalness, though, because some would argue that a person who has already run up against the limits of the 22nd Amendment isn’t “constitutionally ineligible” to be President (i.e., that person doesn’t fail to meet one or more of the requirements specified in Article II of the constitution, such as being at least 35 years old or a natural-born citizen of the United States) but is merely constitutionally ineligible to be elected President. Under this interpretation, a former two-term President would still be eligible, under the law, to obtain and hold the office of Vice President through election or appointment to that position.

Ultimately, the only answer to this hypothetical is that there is no answer: this is an interpretive legal issue that, should it ever arise, would have to be decided by the judicial branch of the U.S. government.

I highly doubt that anyone who has already been president for two terms would even want to run for or be VP.

I'm really sure that Obama and certainly Michelle is really really really done with Obama being POTUS.

Why would you guys want Obama back? He deported more people than Trump and opened the detention centers and you guys claim to hate Trump and call him a Nazi.

Consistency from leftists? I won't hold my breath.

Who'd have thought more people get deported over an eight year period than a two year period. Basic math from a right wing intellectually dishonest hack? I won't hold my breath.

Barack "The Goose Stepper" Obama. Does that offend you?

Who'd have thought more people get deported over an eight year period than a two year period. Basic math from a right wing intellectually dishonest hack? I won't hold my breath.
The bigger point is that the "Abolish ICE" and "No human is illegal" segment of the Democratic base are VERY critical of Obama for deporting any illegals at all.

Why would you guys want Obama back? He deported more people than Trump and opened the detention centers and you guys claim to hate Trump and call him a Nazi.

Barack "The Goose Stepper" Obama. Does that offend you?

Not offended. Just confused as to what your point, if any, is.

Technically I’ve only been calling for your blood.

That you guys call Trump a Nazi but not Obama.

That's because only one of the two thinks nazis are very fine people. Guess which one.

He was talking about the people who want to keep the statues up just for the historical aspect, not because they actually supported the Confederacy.

Just like there's people in the world who collect Nazi paraphernalia but they are not Nazi's themselves.

That you guys call Trump a Nazi but not Obama.

That's because only one of the two thinks nazis are very fine people. Guess which one.

He was talking about the people who want to keep the statues up just for the historical aspect, not because they actually supported the Confederacy.

Just like there's people in the world who collect Nazi paraphernalia but they are not Nazi's themselves.

No, he wasn't. Try to rewrite history if you want, but the video is there for all see. Trump said a rally where the chant was "Jews will not replace us" had some very fine people who at least had a permit.

No, he wasn't. Try to rewrite history if you want, but the video is there for all see. Trump said a rally where the chant was "Jews will not replace us" had some very fine people who at least had a permit.

Nope, he specifically said, "I condemn the neo-nazi's. How often do I have to condemn them? I condemn them." And then it's the neo-nazi's who say, "OH OK, Trump I get it. You don't like us. wink wink, you have to say that."

So, Trump is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Nope, he specifically said, "I condemn the neo-nazi's. How often do I have to condemn them? I condemn them." And then it's the neo-nazi's who say, "OH OK, Trump I get it. You don't like us. wink wink, you have to say that."

Keep living in your fantasy world. Best of luck

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lle-anniversary-condemn-all-racism/965715002/

"Trump's comments were met with a firestorm of criticism on "both sides" of the aisle. He tried to clarify his comments later, specifically calling out Neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan in a prepared statement. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lle-anniversary-condemn-all-racism/965715002/

"Trump's comments were met with a firestorm of criticism on "both sides" of the aisle. He tried to clarify his comments later, specifically calling out Neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan in a prepared statement. "

That's right, he had to clarify later, after overwhelming pressure. Pretty obvious he doesn't believe it.

... it's the neo-nazi's who say, "OH OK, Trump I get it. You don't like us. wink wink, you have to say that."

Not a total fantasy, he's half-right. That IS what happens.
Trump is damned if he does and damned if doesn't. Because he's damned, period.
He's damned by his own utter lack of honesty, and double damned by his indifference and to and taking pleasure from the suffering he causes.
He is triple damned by his personal greed and lust.
He's just damned, right from the start. And when the nazis give him the wink, he winks back.

lifestyle-heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-36241822.png

I didn't say it would be good to have Obama back. I was simply asking a question about term limits and possible ways around them, and using Obama (and Trump) as examples.

The amendment says "elected president" not "be president" so it seems a little uncertain to me.

I didn't say it would be good to have Obama back. I was simply asking a question about term limits and possible ways around them, and using Obama (and Trump) as examples.

The amendment says "elected president" not "be president" so it seems a little uncertain to me.
The intent of the Amendment is crystal clear. They can't be President again. Sarpedon makes an interesting argument regarding their disqualification for being President meaning they could hold the position below it and succession would just step over them.

The intent of the Amendment is crystal clear. They can't be President again.

It isn't crystal clear. They could have written "be president" but they wrote "be elected president". Hence the potential loophole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Wikipedia said:
The amendment prohibits any individual who has been elected president twice from being elected again. Under the amendment, an individual who fills an unexpired presidential term lasting greater than two years is also prohibited from winning election as president more than once. Scholars debate whether the amendment prohibits affected individuals from succeeding to the presidency under any circumstances or whether it only applies to presidential elections.

As worded, the primary focus of the 22nd Amendment is on limiting individuals twice elected to the presidency from being elected again. Due to this, several issues could be raised regarding the amendment's meaning and application, especially in relation to the 12th Amendment, ratified in 1804, which states, "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".[23] While it is clear that under the 12th Amendment the original constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship, and residency apply to both the president and vice president, it is unclear whether someone who is ineligible to be elected president could be elected vice president. Because of this apparent ambiguity, there may be a loophole in the 22nd Amendment whereby a two-term former-president could be elected vice president and then succeed to the presidency as a result of the incumbent's death, resignation, or removal from office (or even succeed to the presidency from some other stated office in the presidential line of succession).[8][24]

Some argue that the 22nd Amendment and 12th Amendment bar any two-term president from later serving as vice president as well as from succeeding to the presidency from any point in the presidential line of succession.[25] Others contend that the original intent of the 12th Amendment concerns qualification for service (age, residence, and citizenship), while the 22nd Amendment, concerns qualifications for election, and thus (strictly applying the text) a former two-term president is still eligible to serve as vice president (neither amendment restricts the number of times an individual can be elected to the vice presidency), and then succeed to the presidency to serve out the balance of the term (though prohibited from running for election to an additional term).[26][27]

The practical applicability of this distinction has not been tested, as no former president has ever sought the vice presidency. In 1980, former president Gerald Ford was mentioned as a possible vice presidential running mate for Republican presidential nominee Ronald Reagan, and there were some negotiations between the two camps, but nothing ever came of the idea.[28] During Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign, she jokingly said that she had considered naming her husband Bill Clinton as her vice presidential running mate, but had been advised it would be unconstitutional.[29] Most likely, the constitutional question raised will remain unanswered unless the situation actually occurs.[1]

If he's constitutionally eligible to be VP and become President if the sitting President leaves office, would it be OK for someone else to run on a platform of "My first act as President will be to immediately resign"?

I'd vote for that someone else.

Back
Top Bottom