• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/health/fauci-prototype-vaccines.html

But what will happen if the next pandemic comes from a virus that causes Lassa fever, or from the Sudan strain of Ebola, or from a Nipah virus?
Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is promoting an ambitious and expensive plan to prepare for such nightmare scenarios. It would cost “a few billion dollars” a year, take five years for the first crop of results and engage a huge cadre of scientists, he said.
The idea is to make “prototype” vaccines to protect against viruses from about 20 families that might spark a new pandemic. Using research tools that proved successful for Covid-19, researchers would uncover the molecular structure of each virus, learn where antibodies must strike it, and how to prod the body into making exactly those antibodies.
“If we get the funding, which I believe we will, it likely will start in 2022,” Dr. Fauci said, adding that he has been promoting the idea “in discussions with the White House and others.”

Getting ahead of the curve. We will have to see who is the first to try to politicize this and demonize Dr. Fauci.

Sounds like a very good idea. That's why we had a vaccine so fast for Covid--it's a SARS vaccine with new targeting info stuck in.

Fat lady is singing in England;

Covid's grip on the UK is 'all over bar the shouting', a senior minister has said tonight. Virus cases plunged for a seventh straight day today and are now barely half the level seen just a week ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...venth-day-row-UK-seeing-light-end-tunnel.html

The fear mongers are desperately looking for a new strain.

My hospital was empty and it is now filled with COVID patients again.

Growing everyday.

In Florida.

What do I care about England?

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People in Missouri are wearing disguises to get vaccinated, ABC News reports <a href="https://t.co/eQgTM7WE9x">pic.twitter.com/eQgTM7WE9x</a></p>— David Edwards (@DavidEdwards) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidEdwards/status/1419743624661716993?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

It's sick that the deniers have that kind of power.

These are viruses which embeds itself into genome, C19 is not one of them. it can't do that.

Doesn't mean it can't hide out in the body.
To hide it have to embed itself into genome and stay dormant, otherwise it's active and you are sick or at least viral load positive.
Hiding in the genome is the only way of hiding.

I think history has taught us that it's better for everyone if the government can't force people to do anything.
Meaning no more military forces and no more police forces. Thus leading to anarchy.

With the exception of dangerous criminals.
How convenient.

What? Yes, I'm all for society being organized in a way that is to the greatest benefit to the people living in it. That is what is the most convenient for everybody.

The point of the military is to prevent the spontaneous creation of little fiefdoms to impose their rule on us. Removing the military doesn't lead to a world free from oppressive governments. It leads to a world full of opressive governments. I'm NOT a libertarian.

I think you misunderstood my argument.

The point of the military is What?

We don't pay a force to put down the constituencies. In America the constituencies are those who govern without personal armies.

I'm not sure exactly who you mean by 'the constituencies' here, but literally nobody in America governs without a personal army.

Even your small town mayors have their own police departments. The US has about 18,000 personal armies. These change hands at various elections, but nonetheless they're the personal armies of individuals at almost every level of government. From the US Military, commanded by the POTUS, through the National Guard of each State Governor, to the thousands of police departments ranging from tens of thousands of officers all the way down to fly-speck towns whose sheriff is the mayor's brother, or cousin, or both, and who is the sole law officer in that polity.

It's personal armies all the way down in America.

The point of the military is What?

We don't pay a force to put down the constituencies. In America the constituencies are those who govern without personal armies.

The point of the military is to prevent anarchy. The point of the government is to organize people. The people can do what they will with that organization. A great first step is to have a military to ensure the the government stays alive. Otherwise, what's the point of getting organized?

To go back to the original point of this derail. The only way to keep governments from needlessly controlling your life is to:

1) Have a government (you will either be ruled by your or someone else's government)
2) Live under the authority of a government you control (either by you being the dictator or together with others in a democracy)
3) Try really really hard NOT to vote for things that control other people's lives unnecessarily in spite your convictions that you are one of the smart people and the the stupid people need a paternal hand to "lovingly" force them to behave correctly.

Humans have a horrible tendency to worry about other people abusing the freedom they have been granted and them not doing what you think is the most sensible to do. Accepting and understanding that you to have probably this very same tendency is a sign of maturity and you do best in doing your best to fight this tendency in yourself.

In this pandemic I have seen a lot of worrying tendencies among scientifically literate people who mean well but forget how precious freedom is, and how easily it is lost.

More Newsom hypocrisy;

California Governor Gavin Newsom pulls his kids from summer camp after his son, 10, was pictured maskless indoors in violation of his rules for kids ages two and older. Newsom on July 9 ruled that children in California must still wear face masks at school and at summer camps, despite the CDC changing its rules to say that face masks were no longer necessary.

DailyMail

Hopefully this prick get recalled.

And I guess the "we follow the science and data" mantra has been thrown out altogether as the CDC has recommended vaccinated people and kids wear masks despite zero evidence to support that decision. Compliance will be low.

Making people wear masks when possibly then don't have to is about the smallest most minor crime in history.

Not wearing a mask when you are supposed to wear one if not vaccinated makes somebody evil and despicable.

This just in: politicians are hypocrites. WOW. Also, completely irrelevant to science.

TSwizzle said:
And I guess the "we follow the science and data" mantra has been thrown out altogether as the CDC has recommended vaccinated people and kids wear masks despite zero evidence to support that decision.

Duh. There goes more conservolibertarian disingenuous arguments again...Conservolibertarian arguments always seem to ignore how individual A impacts individual B in a society of many, many people. The SCIENTIFIC FACT is that people who are vaccinated can be infected and take part in spreading the disease. In areas of high vaccination, nearing herd immunity, it's not too much of a concern because the infection rate and severity are reduced by the vaccination. However, in other areas where mostly unvaccinated idiots are running around with no masks, like say Arkansas or Alabama, people should still wear masks to reduce the spread and load on hospitals.

Has anyone mentioned shoes?
My podiatrist just mentioned shoes.

Expect a coming shortage of shoes.
Because where they make the shoes we buy, they're not COVIDing well.
According to him, Bangladesh has a vaccination rate of about 1.6%, which is having an incredibly unsurprising effect on their shoe industry.

Florida hospitalizations currently at about 65% of max during the pandemic (last July). That is pretty impressive! Florida has managed to reach 65% despite having many people vaccinated. Maybe we'll reach herd immunity after all. I mean that'll be a complete failure to the pandemic, but America isn't much about doing things right the first... second... or even third time.

At 6500, that is over 1 in 10 available beds in Florida with a Covid-19 patient in it... and this is post having the vaccine that works.

Florida hospitalizations currently at about 65% of max during the pandemic (last July). That is pretty impressive! Florida has managed to reach 65% despite having many people vaccinated. Maybe we'll reach herd immunity after all. I mean that'll be a complete failure to the pandemic, but America isn't much about doing things right the first... second... or even third time.

At 6500, that is over 1 in 10 available beds in Florida with a Covid-19 patient in it... and this is post having the vaccine that works.

I suspect Florida is going through what other places will soon be going through.

Even worse, this is the status in Arkansas.

Missouri appears to be heading down the same road. Current vaccination rate in my county? 27% have the first dose, and only 22% are fully vaccinated. One of our (small) local hospitals has at least one person per day dying from COVID this month. None of the deceased were vaccinated.

I received word that about a dozen people from my former church contracted COVID in the past few weeks. Four of them are still sick after a month and unable to work or leave their house. Again, none of them were vaccinated. This is the second wave to go through that church. You would think after the first time they would have learned....but apparently not.

I am seriously beginning to lose all hope that there will ever be an end to this in my part of the country.

Ruth

Even worse, this is the status in Arkansas.

Missouri appears to be heading down the same road. Current vaccination rate in my county? 27% have the first dose, and only 22% are fully vaccinated. One of our (small) local hospitals has at least one person per day dying from COVID this month. None of the deceased were vaccinated.

I received word that about a dozen people from my former church contracted COVID in the past few weeks. Four of them are still sick after a month and unable to work or leave their house. Again, none of them were vaccinated. This is the second wave to go through that church. You would think after the first time they would have learned....but apparently not.

I am seriously beginning to lose all hope that there will ever be an end to this in my part of the country.

Ruth

Two stories on CNN today that provide some partial hope that when Government and health care professionals have not been able to get people to get vaccinated, employers may. Some anyway. It's not a silver bullet but might move the needle at least.

Require unvaccinated employees to get tested each week at their own expense and wear N95 masks
In all cases it requires that employers are willing to keep records of those employees who are willing to provide proof of vaccination and segregate out those who are not for more restrictive measures.

My company has strict rules for unvaccinated employees but the company just accepts people's word for it if they are vaccinated or not. I've told the higher up that until the rules state that to get the privileges for being vaccinated, people need to show the proof that they are vaccinated. Until then they won't ever see me at the office. My opinion may not matter much because I only set foot in the office about 3 times a year before the pandemic, I know that there are people who would go to the office if they could be certain that those who say that they are vaccinated actually are vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/tech/google-vaccinations-return-to-office/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/success/managers-unvaccinated-employees/index.html

Back
Top Bottom