• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Has your wife gotten antibody tests to see if she has had covid?

Also, why not get a standing pharmacy/clinic order for monoclonals and fluvoxamine, etc... that will be instantly triggered by a positive PCR test?

So much time can be chewed up trying to get it after an infection.

My boys have been invited to a birthday party for their half- brother, age 4-8, at a Chuck e cheese.

My wife is immune compromized and is not yet elligible for her booster. She also read that because she had mono when she was a kid she is at greater risk of long covid. I told my boys that their mother plans to stay at my parent's unoccupied house for several days to protect herself. And so she is not going to be here to drive one to high school at 7:30an and not here to drive the other to commuter rail at 6am. I am not. They can ride their bikes.

If I had a plan to do something that was such concern to my wife she would feel the need to move out for several days to protect herself I would change my plans.

I am really disappointed with my boys.

And frankly their birthmom (we adopted them when she was deemed unfit) is in my opinion, a moron to do this at chuck e cheese.

What is even more nuts is that my boys were planning to go tomorrow without knowing anything about it. My daughter said she will drive them and I learned from her. She is not planning to go in. I can't imagine planning to go to an event with zero knowlege on the situation.

Teenager truly are stupid and as I said, I am really disapointed that they are Ok putting my wife in a situation where she feels to need to temporarily move out of the house to protect herself.
How old are your boys? You are disappointed in them because they were invited to and want to attend a family member's birthday party?

19 years old. One 20 in a week.

I think I was clear that I am disappointed that they do not seem to care that due to their choice, my wife, to protect herself, my will temporarily move out of the house.

Last edited:

Also, why not get a standing pharmacy/clinic order for monoclonals and fluvoxamine, etc... that will be instantly triggered by a positive PCR test?

She hasn't but she is exceptionally careful. She has not been inside any buildin other than our own in months.

My boys have been invited to a birthday party for their half- brother, age 4-8, at a Chuck e cheese.

My wife is immune compromized and is not yet elligible for her booster. She also read that because she had mono when she was a kid she is at greater risk of long covid. I told my boys that their mother plans to stay at my parent's unoccupied house for several days to protect herself. And so she is not going to be here to drive one to high school at 7:30an and not here to drive the other to commuter rail at 6am. I am not. They can ride their bikes.

If I had a plan to do something that was such concern to my wife she would feel the need to move out for several days to protect herself I would change my plans.

And frankly their birthmom (we adopted them when she was deemed unfit) is in my opinion, a moron to do this at chuck e cheese.

What is even more nuts is that my boys were planning to go tomorrow without knowing anything about it. My daughter said she will drive them and I learned from her. She is not planning to go in. I can't imagine planning to go to an event with zero knowlege on the situation.

Teenager truly are stupid and as I said, I am really disapointed that they are Ok putting my wife in a situation where she feels to need to temporarily move out of the house to protect herself.
How old are your boys? You are disappointed in them because they were invited to and want to attend a family member's birthday party?

I think I was clear that I am disappointed that they do not seem to care that due to their choice, my wife, to protect herself, my will temporarily move out of the house.
It was not clear the age difference between themselves and the children at the other party.

Have your children been vaccinated? Your wife? Do you expect your children to forever avoid social contact for your wife's sake?

It was not clear the age difference between themselves and the children at the other party.

Have your children been vaccinated? Your wife? Do you expect your children to forever avoid social contact for your wife's sake?

She has had 2 moderna but is not eligible for booster yet despite being immune compromised. Her condition is not on the CDC list so she can't get her booster yet even though she is in fact immune compromised. She was stuck in Canada from March to November 2021 and couldn't start the vaccine process until the 2nd week of November when she got home. She was stuck in Canada caring for her 94 year old mother and could not get vaccinated while in Canada for not having a Canadian issued ID. And she's at higher risk of long covid.

The boys have had their boosters and I also. But we know that the vaccine is not great at stopping Omicron infection. It is good at reducing the risk of severe illness for boosted people who are not immune compromised.

We do not expect the boys to forever live in a void. The older one commutes to college every school day. He goes to Umass Boston. I do expect them to make choices that are not so risky as going a Chuck e Cheese birthday party around lots of people, inside, some unvaccinated, who are eating and I do think it's appropriate for them to discuss plans with us given that they live in our house, and we support them 100%.

And the older one is known to lie to us about keeping his mask up.

She hasn't but she is exceptionally careful. She has not been inside any buildin other than our own in months.

\You are refusing to do something sensible and instead just being a victim to circumstance.

Get a standing order pharmacy plan and live your life. Call the doctor and get one, or get a doctor who will.

\You are refusing to do something sensible and instead just being a victim to circumstance.

Get a standing order pharmacy plan and live your life. Call the doctor and get one, or get a doctor who will.
She has a Dr appointment in 2 weeks. She had one ealier but unbelievably because I retired and COBRA hasn't processed our insurance the Dr office cancelled her appointment.

I completely disagree.
I see Crazyfingers as looking over indulgent to me.

"Hey kids. Go to that party if you want, just don't come back here.
Love you.
Mean it."

When I was that age I knew perfectly well that if I was at my parent's house on Sunday morning I'd better be scrubbed and dressed by 8:45 am. Because that's when we were leaving for 9 am Mass.

I didn't have to be there. It was entirely my choice.
Tom

“No free lunch” = all your dice are loaded, your cards are marked and you can’t win, so surrender to god and the devil be driven from science! (Amen)

that is honestly one of the most terrifying ideas. Ever.

A virus that gives you cancer if you haven't been immunized, and maybe even if you have?

It's the Tasmanian Devil but to humans.

We already have an example, but it's nowhere near 100% chance it gives you cancer.

HPV.

That's why they went to the work of a vaccine. It's not about the bumps, it's about the cervical/anal/throat cancers it was causing down the road.

7-day averages:

New cases peaked on 25 January (at 3.4m) and was 1.8m on 21 February. US cases peaked on 14 January (807,000) and have dropped to 86,000 by 21 February.

In the most recent wave, worldwide average deaths peaked on 10 February (at 10,910 deaths) and have been falling slowly since (9,106 on 21 February). In the US, deaths peaked on 1 February (2,670) and have fallen to 1,958 (21 February).
Update, again all 7-day averages, and peaks refer to current wave (all time refers to highest of any wave)

New cases:
Latest worldwide 1.56m (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)
All time worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

Latest US 68k (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)
All time US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

Deaths:
Latest worldwide 8,729 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide 10,926 (daily - 10 Feb 2022)
All time worldwide 14,706 (daily - 26 Jan 2021)

Latest US 1,887 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US 2,670 (daily - 1 Feb 2022)
All time US 3,347 (daily - 13 Jan 2021)

EDIT: I spent extra time putting in white space to format it properly but the displayed output removes it :-(

7-day averages:

New cases peaked on 25 January (at 3.4m) and was 1.8m on 21 February. US cases peaked on 14 January (807,000) and have dropped to 86,000 by 21 February.

In the most recent wave, worldwide average deaths peaked on 10 February (at 10,910 deaths) and have been falling slowly since (9,106 on 21 February). In the US, deaths peaked on 1 February (2,670) and have fallen to 1,958 (21 February).
Update, again all 7-day averages, and peaks refer to current wave (all time refers to highest of any wave)

New cases:
Latest worldwide 1.56m (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)
All time worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

Latest US 68k (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)
All time US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

Deaths:
Latest worldwide 8,729 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide 10,926 (daily - 10 Feb 2022)
All time worldwide 14,706 (daily - 26 Jan 2021)

Latest US 1,887 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US 2,670 (daily - 1 Feb 2022)
All time US 3,347 (daily - 13 Jan 2021)

EDIT: I spent extra time putting in white space to format it properly but the displayed output removes it :-(

The "PRE" (Pre-Format) tag preserves the extra spaces. It's a bit fiddly because it does not behave with the consistency one might wish for, but after some adjustments this is the sort of result you can achieve:

New cases: 
Latest worldwide     1.56m (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide       3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)
All time worldwide   3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

Latest US         68k (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US          807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)
All time US      807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

Deaths:
Latest worldwide       8,729 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak worldwide        10,926 (daily - 10 Feb 2022)
All time worldwide    14,706 (daily - 26 Jan 2021)

Latest US       1,887 (daily - 26 Feb 2022)
Peak US         2,670 (daily - 1 Feb 2022)
All time US     3,347 (daily - 13 Jan 2021)

Another way of producing neatly lined up columns is to use the "Table" tag

Protests in New Zealand get more intense;

Increasingly violent demonstrations in New Zealand against mandatory vaccination are set to spill over into a fourth week as police warned protesters they would “actively engage” with anyone crossing Auckland’s harbour bridge unlawfully this week. The planned march over the bridge will severely disrupt traffic in the centre of one of the country’s largest cities as protesters ignore pleas to stop agitating against the government’s Covid-19 policies.

FT

New Zealand finally allows Kiwis home;

New Zealanders will finally be able to freely come and go from their island fortress in just a few days with the borders finally opening just a crack. Prime Minister Jacinda Arden announced on Monday there will be no required quarantine for vaccinated New Zealanders returning home from March 3. Kiwis stuck in Australia through the Covid pandemic have finally been able to get back home after being locked out for months. Kiwis in Australia could already return to New Zealand without quarantine from Monday, February 28, as part of NZ's staggered opening scheme. Travellers from the rest of the world were required to complete seven days of self-isolation, but that will be scrapped from Thursday for all countries of arrival.

Daily Mail

In case any of you don't know about it, if you live in the US, the CDC has a new link that you can get information regarding the risk of COVID in the county where you. live. Unfortunately, I live in a fairly high risk county, due to our low vaccination rate. So, people in my county should continue to wear masks when indoors. My sister lives in NJ in a low risk area that has a much higher vaccination rate. If you live in a low risk area, it's considered safe to go maskless when indoors.

All you need to do is put in your state and county and the information will come up. Have fun!

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...tates&list_select_county=13255&data-type=Risk

People coming to New Zealand from most places, except like Hong Kong, already had omicron burn through their population.

That is very useful. They've had that for a while. Our county was pretty high, top 10 at one point, but we went down to level 2 of 4... and now 1 of the new 3 tier system. Omicron came hard and is drifting away. 7-day average continues to plummet and is finally getting to below pre-Delta. Simply running out of people to get the virus it seems.

Deaths are still lagging in the plummeting, still over 1,000 a 7-day daily average dying, but those numbers will continue the same trend over time.

Hopefully Omicron goes the statistical average path and ends up a super-flu soon enough and a strong-flu given more time.

Protests in New Zealand get more intense;

Increasingly violent demonstrations in New Zealand against mandatory vaccination are set to spill over into a fourth week as police warned protesters they would “actively engage” with anyone crossing Auckland’s harbour bridge unlawfully this week. The planned march over the bridge will severely disrupt traffic in the centre of one of the country’s largest cities as protesters ignore pleas to stop agitating against the government’s Covid-19 policies.

FT

New Zealand finally allows Kiwis home;

New Zealanders will finally be able to freely come and go from their island fortress in just a few days with the borders finally opening just a crack. Prime Minister Jacinda Arden announced on Monday there will be no required quarantine for vaccinated New Zealanders returning home from March 3. Kiwis stuck in Australia through the Covid pandemic have finally been able to get back home after being locked out for months. Kiwis in Australia could already return to New Zealand without quarantine from Monday, February 28, as part of NZ's staggered opening scheme. Travellers from the rest of the world were required to complete seven days of self-isolation, but that will be scrapped from Thursday for all countries of arrival.

Daily Mail
Deaths from Covid-19 (per capita million)

New Zealand - ~50 (11)
USA - ~1,000,000 (2,912)

Back
Top Bottom