• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Turns out the 1yo son of the bride got COVID from daycare or whatever, started coughing all around the wedding, and now there's an outbreak.

Practically everyone involved with the wedding has it, including my husband and I.

Thankfully, symptoms are very light, though I do notice the brainfog.
Do you know it is COVID and not flu?
Yes, because my husband tested positive, as did much of the wedding party, and the 1yo

Since some here think I am on the anti-vax side, let me say that this question by the EU MP to the Pfizer exec was a lame gotcha that has unfortunately blown up. Any "anti-vax" arguments about this vaccine and its use or requirements for specific people (college students needing bivalent booster) have to be very thought out and in a proper context.

The initial phase 3 trials were not registered for and did not test for decreased transmission of covid by vaccinated people. It is public knowledge - even "anti-vax" (not really) Vinay Prasad has said so. That is what the Pfizer exec should have said.

Save criticisms for real things.

Since some here think I am on the anti-vax side...
You are the anti-establishment side. You love to insert bullshit racist crap... and stir the pot. At times, your vaccine posts aren't "in your face" anti-vaccine, however they are certainly sowing doubt.

Ryan Grim may be lacking in charisma, but he is bringing the hammer down on the BS that BU has spewed about their gain of function research.

Ryan Grim may be lacking in charisma, but he is bringing the hammer down on the BS that BU has spewed about their gain of function research.
e7d.gif

My emphasis on the post... increases the accuracy greatly.

They weren't doing gain of function research in the first place.

The objective was to find out which part of the virus did the damage. It was simply a cross with the Omicron spike combined with the original rest of the virus. 80% of the mice died--but 100% of the control mice (original version) died. What they synthesize was less dangerous than the original strain. Gain??

They weren't doing gain of function research in the first place.

The objective was to find out which part of the virus did the damage. It was simply a cross with the Omicron spike combined with the original rest of the virus. 80% of the mice died--but 100% of the control mice (original version) died. What they synthesize was less dangerous than the original strain. Gain??

In evolutionay terms, “gain” = reproductive success, not killing your host.

In evolutionay terms, “gain” = reproductive success, not killing your host.

Not precisely. From  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gain-of-function_research

Gain-of-function research is medical research that genetically alters an organism in a way that may enhance the biological functions of gene products. This may include an altered pathogenesis, transmissibility, or host range, i.e. the types of hosts that a microorganism can infect.

So reproductive success is only one possible outcome of this research. Likewise, increased mortality or morbidity is also one possible outcome. Neither case is the exclusive function of this research.

Ruth

e7d.gif

My emphasis on the post... increases the accuracy greatly.
I hop there are no epileptics with photosensitivity on the formum.

My daughter is an assistant teacher at a preschool. A kid tested positive for Covid and the parents kept that kid home but they had their younger kid go in without a mask. Now that kid has tested postive along with 30% of the kids ( about 30 kids) at the school are out with Covid.

My daughter has a PCR test scheduled for tomorrow.

My daughter got her omicron booster 3 weeks ago and always wears a KN95 or N95 to work.

But she visited here over the weekend.

I do think that parents who have one small child who tests positive should assume that it's likely that a younger sibling will also have it and at least warn the school and use a mask!

So this seems to be, if true, the REAL distinction between covid and the flu and bad colds.

Everything else is a distant second. But is this true?

I am an idiot in this field, but I think this is worth posting here. This is a multi part post, so click on it and open in Twitter.

So this seems to be, if true, the REAL distinction between covid and the flu and bad colds.

Everything else is a distant second. But is this true?

I am an idiot in this field, but I think this is worth posting here. This is a multi part post, so click on it and open in Twitter.

I don't know one way or the other about the imitator part, but what he's talking about of increased risks of many medical issues has been seen for some time--while most people have a pretty low risk of death from infection there seems to be lasting, cumulative damage and that's what sets it apart from routine infections.

Maybe it will make her medical school re-examine their admissions policy - or at least their “personality test”?

Maybe it will make her medical school re-examine their admissions policy - or at least their “personality test”?
Dr Tenpenny does not appear to be the ethnicity that would benefit from an affirmative action admissions at an American medical school.

The usual result of affirmative action policies is that minority students fail their licensing exams at far higher rates.

Study links Trump rallies to more than 700 Covid deaths - POLITICO
President Donald Trump’s campaign rallies between June and September may have caused some 30,000 coronavirus infections and more than 700 deaths, according to a new study by Stanford University economists.

The working paper, released late Friday, examined the impact of 18 rallies held between June 20 and Sept. 30 by comparing spread of the virus after each event to parts of the country that didn’t host rallies. The findings illustrate the risks of not heeding public health warnings to wear masks and avoid large gatherings to mitigate the risks of Covid-19, the authors — including B. Douglas Bernheim, the chair of Stanford’s economics department — wrote.

“The communities in which Trump rallies took place paid a high price in terms of disease and death,” they wrote. Fifteen of the 18 events studied were held outdoors.

Trump has drawn criticism for continuing to hold events with large, tightly packed crowds in states that are experiencing outbreaks. Many in attendance, including Trump, have not worn masks.
noting research paper
The Effects of Large Group Meetings on the Spread of COVID-19: The Case of Trump Rallies by B. Douglas Bernheim, Nina Buchmann, Zach Freitas-Groff, Sebastián Otero :: SSRN

Back
Top Bottom