• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Had my third booster a couple weeks ago. No side effects other than a little sore arm.

(a) The global spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, or COVID-19, has claimed the lives of over 6,000,000 people worldwide, including nearly 90,000 Californians.
“Misinformation” means false information that is contradicted by contemporary scientific consensus contrary to the standard of care.
:hysterical:

"Misinformation" is anything the authoritarians don't like.
No. It's stuff that is either simply made up, or stuff which has been adequately rebutted.

No--it looked possible but it wasn't. It's a multi-species virus, we couldn't have stopped it.
I think that probably we could have--if the appropriate measures were taken, including mandatory mass vaccinations--world wide as well as lock downs and closing borders to all passengers and/or quarantining all passengers incoming to any destination. But we're too delicate for that. Much easier to have millions of unnecessary deaths if they are not happening to you than to...do something you don't like for a few months.
No. By the time anyone noticed it the cat was already out of the bag, it was spread widely. And it quickly jumped to animals. We can't kill any pathogen with a practical animal host. Omicron is descended from the Wuhan strain, probably via mice. That means it made the animal jump back in early 2020 as Wuhan has been extinct for quite a while.

I haven't had any shots, not because I don't believe in the medicine, think I'm immortal or don't care about the human species; I really really really hate needles.

Edit: Not sure why I felt like admitting this.

I don't know what's going on in your part of California but where I live there don't seem to be any restrictions. I don't wear a mask, except at a medical facility, all the shops are open, my kids are in school. Other than an occasional jab, which I and my kids get anyway for flu every year (and others for my young kids) I barely notice the presence of the pandemic. Mostly in the few people who walk around outside still wearing masks and that's their choice for whatever good it does or they think it does them. I can only assume that some fraction of them are actually immune-compromised and the other fraction are just paranoid or scared.
And note that most people you see "outside" are there as part of going inside. I don't hike in a mask--but you're not likely to see me hiking in the first place. You're much more likely to see me in a mask as I cross the parking lot to go into the store.

And I pay attention to the fact that the damage appears to be cumulative. That means it's doing damage even if most people don't notice it. Note, also, that long Covid is more prevalent amongst athletes--which makes no sense unless you consider that it's simply they're more prone to noticing it because they're used to pushing their bodies and thus more aware of not being able to push quite as much.

You are the person that bolded this quote. By inference, you must agree with it therefore you are admitting that masks DO work.

My position has always been masks do not work in stopping/slowing the spread of covid. There is no scientific evidence to support the assertion that masks stop the spread of covid.
cleverly worded, that. There is scientific evidence to support the assertion that masks slow the spread of covid.
As everyone should know, science does not deal in superlatives such as "always" and "never".. and "stop" versus "significantly slow" or "practically stop".

She also had to admit she hasn't had the latest booster shot.
There have been availability issues with them. I only managed to get mine Sunday.

That's not the issue, she said she had a "complicated" personal story and was waiting to be cleared to get it. It's a squirrely answer. Maybe it's that she was recently infected and doesn't want to say so - the recommendation is to wait 3 months after an infection.

Well Tswizzle. When you go for surgery and your chest is opend up you do not care if the doctirs and nurse wear masks?

Masks are not a perfect shield. When someone coughs and somebody else breathes in a mask lints the amount of virus propelled in the air and the amount of virus inhaled by somebody else. It lowers the probability and risk of spreading and catching infection. and lowers the load on your immune system.

Asians have long wore masks during flu outbreaks.

In the 80s I read an Army study.
There were two barracks, In one both groups shared a common bathroom, in the other each used separate bathrooms.

The obvious result when infected shared common sinks, toilets and showers in an open bathroom infection spread.

Yiuc an probaly fund video ob line. A sneeze or cough spreads quickly and travels farther than you might think.

You cough near a surface. Somebody touches the surface and puts fingers to eye or mouth and gets infected. That is what a mask serves to minimize.

I haven't had any shots, not because I don't believe in the medicine, think I'm immortal or don't care about the human species; I really really really hate needles.

Edit: Not sure why I felt like admitting this.

If you hate needles, you will really hate being intubated. Go for the needle. I have had my flu vaccination and second covid vaccination. The bad news is that the latest covid strains may not be affected as much by current vaccinations. Wear you mask and avoid plague rats.

Florida's top doctor has urged men aged 18 to 39 not to get a Covid vaccine, claiming the jab significantly raises their risk of dying from heart conditions. Dr Joseph Ladapo, the state's surgeon general, said the mRNA jabs raise the risk of cardiac-related death by 84 per cent in young males. The vaccine-skeptic official cited a Florida Department of Health analysis to back up his claims — but independent scientists say it contains major statistical flaws. In a tweet that was censored by Twitter over the weekend before being reposted, Dr Ladapo said Florida would 'not be silent on the truth'. He now becomes the most high-profile US doctor to break ranks from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), who says the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are safe for the vast majority of healthy children and adults. But in recent months, as Covid death rates have trended downwards, several countries have changed their stance. Denmark and Norway have already banned Covid vaccines for non-seniors, while next month Sweden says it will stop recommending them for 12 to 17-year-olds. Covid jabs are credited with saving more than 300,000 lives just in 2021, according to official analysis. But the CDC's rollout of bivalent booster vaccines this winter has been sluggish with just five per cent — or 11million people — of those eligible coming forward despite the Federal Government spending $5billion for the jabs. Both Denmark and Norway have suspended Covid vaccinations for healthy under-50s and under-65s respectively because of the low risk that either group will suffer serious illness or hospitalization from the disease. At the start of November, Sweden says it will also stop recommending the jabs for healthy young adults because of the low risk they face.
Daily Mail

The paper that Ladapo uses does seem iffy but Twitter again censors anything that doesn't fit the narrative.

I will not be getting anymore covid boosters but will probably get a flu shot.

Florida's top doctor has urged men aged 18 to 39 not to get a Covid vaccine, claiming the jab significantly raises their risk of dying from heart conditions. Dr Joseph Ladapo, the state's surgeon general, said the mRNA jabs raise the risk of cardiac-related death by 84 per cent in young males. The vaccine-skeptic official cited a Florida Department of Health analysis to back up his claims — but independent scientists say it contains major statistical flaws. In a tweet that was censored by Twitter over the weekend before being reposted, Dr Ladapo said Florida would 'not be silent on the truth'. He now becomes the most high-profile US doctor to break ranks from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), who says the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are safe for the vast majority of healthy children and adults. But in recent months, as Covid death rates have trended downwards, several countries have changed their stance. Denmark and Norway have already banned Covid vaccines for non-seniors, while next month Sweden says it will stop recommending them for 12 to 17-year-olds. Covid jabs are credited with saving more than 300,000 lives just in 2021, according to official analysis. But the CDC's rollout of bivalent booster vaccines this winter has been sluggish with just five per cent — or 11million people — of those eligible coming forward despite the Federal Government spending $5billion for the jabs. Both Denmark and Norway have suspended Covid vaccinations for healthy under-50s and under-65s respectively because of the low risk that either group will suffer serious illness or hospitalization from the disease. At the start of November, Sweden says it will also stop recommending the jabs for healthy young adults because of the low risk they face.
Daily Mail

The paper that Ladapo uses does seem iffy but Twitter again censors anything that doesn't fit the narrative.

If you're getting the flu shot, you're selling out to the vaccine conspiracy meanies.

Daily Mail

If you're getting the flu shot, you're selling out to the vaccine conspiracy meanies.
TSwizzle is beholden to Big Flu. The funny part is how he is against the booster, which the science has shown indisputably, to be helpful is reducing hospitalizations.

The question about the bivalent, is whether the omicron portion of it modifies how the body responds to the latest versions of Covid, or whether the primary reaction remains more based on the initial reaction to Covid, whether the virus or vaccine.

Damn it... right before Prime Days!

Iffy? How about bogus.

The Department of Health release claimed an 84% increase had been found in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination. That followed what the agency described as an analysis through a self-controlled case-series.

But the methodology drew immediate criticism from experts.

The guidance was based on cross-referencing data from the state’s reportable disease repository, the Florida State Health Online Tracking System and death records from the state’s vital statistics.

Dr. Kristen Panthagani, an emergency medicine resident at Yale who has written widely on COVID-19 vaccination data, noted the analysis appeared to be a Microsoft Word document which listed no authors and had not faced any kind of peer review.

“They looked at death certificates, and any death that had an ICD 10 code under ‘Other forms of heart disease’ (ICD I30-I52) was included,” Panthagani said in a social media post.

“1. ICD-10 codes are not necessarily accurate or specific. 2. There isn’t a clear rationale why they included these specific ICD-10 codes vs other cardiac-related codes (i.e. ischemic heart disease is not included?). 3. “Cardiac arrest” is included, which simply means ‘the heart stopped’ and can be the terminal event for many different diseases, not just cardiac issues. Overall, it is a somewhat random list defined not by a hypothesis, but by the arbitrary structure of hospital billing. In short, this list is too broad to be meaningful, excludes some cardiac issues but not others, and most of the diagnoses are far more likely to be caused by other ongoing disease processes rather than vaccination.”

Holden Thorp, editor-in-chief of the Science family of medical journals, called the analysis a “bogus study.”

“Unreal that University of Florida allows this to go unchecked,” he tweeted.

Daily Mail

He isn't saying that there is an unknown benefit for anyone (especially the elderly) if it doesn't inhibit contraction of the disease, therefore those who should get it should be ones at greatest risk of complications if they do get Covid-19. This would be viable and accurate.

However, he is saying young males are at a serious risk of "cardiac-related death" and implied there is a conspiracy to hide the truth. You state yourself, the source of the claim is "iffy", which really speaks very poorly of it... and shouldn't be referenced by a Surgeon General! He is abusing his post by making these utterly irresponsible statements. He should technically be fired. But politicizing immunizations is now "free speech" and bad medicine is good politics in Florida.

I can't wait until TSwizzle is justifying children no longer getting immunized at all because it is really owning the libs in five years.

Iffy? How about bogus.

The Department of Health release claimed an 84% increase had been found in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination. That followed what the agency described as an analysis through a self-controlled case-series.

But the methodology drew immediate criticism from experts.

The guidance was based on cross-referencing data from the state’s reportable disease repository, the Florida State Health Online Tracking System and death records from the state’s vital statistics.

Dr. Kristen Panthagani, an emergency medicine resident at Yale who has written widely on COVID-19 vaccination data, noted the analysis appeared to be a Microsoft Word document which listed no authors and had not faced any kind of peer review.

“They looked at death certificates, and any death that had an ICD 10 code under ‘Other forms of heart disease’ (ICD I30-I52) was included,” Panthagani said in a social media post.

“1. ICD-10 codes are not necessarily accurate or specific. 2. There isn’t a clear rationale why they included these specific ICD-10 codes vs other cardiac-related codes (i.e. ischemic heart disease is not included?). 3. “Cardiac arrest” is included, which simply means ‘the heart stopped’ and can be the terminal event for many different diseases, not just cardiac issues. Overall, it is a somewhat random list defined not by a hypothesis, but by the arbitrary structure of hospital billing. In short, this list is too broad to be meaningful, excludes some cardiac issues but not others, and most of the diagnoses are far more likely to be caused by other ongoing disease processes rather than vaccination.”

Holden Thorp, editor-in-chief of the Science family of medical journals, called the analysis a “bogus study.”

“Unreal that University of Florida allows this to go unchecked,” he tweeted.
And note that unspecified cardiac issues on death certificates likely mean covid threw a clot into the works without them otherwise having sought medical attention. Even if the underlying data is sound are they counting vaccine deaths or covid deaths??

And note that unspecified cardiac issues on death certificates likely mean covid threw a clot into the works without them otherwise having sought medical attention. Even if the underlying data is sound are they counting vaccine deaths or covid deaths??
Or death deaths.

Daily Mail

Are yiu really this ignorant of modern medicine and the history of vaccinations or are you just being a gadfly?

Back
Top Bottom