• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I went to my local state park today for the first time since September 2020. It's a fairly popular loop trail around the ponds and though the woods. Massachusetts mask requirements are to have a mask on inside or outside when out in public. I'd guess 50% compliance.

I always kept my mask on but I'd let it down below by nose when no one was less than 100 yards away. But I'd always raise it when passing or anywhere close to anyone got within 100 yards of me.

The worst were white guys perhaps 40-55 years old. I'd guess only 1 in 10 was is compliance. No mask at all visible. The large majority of them would not yet be illegible for the vaccine here. And being vaccinated is not a pass to skip the mask.

A close second worst were white women perhaps 30-45 years old. I'd guess 35% compliance.

There are lots of Asians in my area. They were 100% in compliance and closely followed by families with young kinds who I would guess 95% compliance.

I always hate generalizing. And I apologize for it. However, I've found the above to be true also (very anecdotal). I haven't come across anyone in the Native American community who objects to wearing a mask. But I know lots of white people who refuse or bitch about it all the time. Why? What is the big deal? BTW: it's mandatory at my company. I'm also going to require that everyone at my company gets a vaccine (unless medically unable) or they can find a new job. My attorney told me that this is legal.

But I know lots of white people who refuse or bitch about it all the time. Why? What is the big deal?

Ask them.

I hardly ever wear a mask. Nobody says anything. I was at the pool store yesterday, none of the three staff were wearing a mask. One of the guys put a mask on to serve me. Masks are just theater and serves the virtue signaling pricks of the world.

BTW: it's mandatory at my company. I'm also going to require that everyone at my company gets a vaccine (unless medically unable) or they can find a new job. My attorney told me that this is legal.

Yeah, that sounds about right for you.

But I know lots of white people who refuse or bitch about it all the time. Why? What is the big deal?

Ask them.

I hardly ever wear a mask. Nobody says anything. I was at the pool store yesterday, none of the three staff were wearing a mask. One of the guys put a mask on to serve me. Masks are just theater and serves the virtue signaling pricks of the world.

BTW: it's mandatory at my company. I'm also going to require that everyone at my company gets a vaccine (unless medically unable) or they can find a new job. My attorney told me that this is legal.

Yep, that's right. I don't mess around when it comes to safety around my family, co-workers, or friends. Sorry. Life is too short to compromise on safety. I almost knocked a guy out who was too close to us while in line waiting for a ski chair lift. I told him that the rules require the wearing of masks in line (no exceptions). He started giving me shit. When the lift line attendant kicked him out of the line to the end. He started bitching again. The attendant warned him one more word and his ski pass would be pulled for the season. That shut him up.

Ask them.

Yep, that's right. I don't mess around when it comes to safety around my family, co-workers, or friends. Sorry. Life is too short to compromise on safety. I almost knocked a guy out who was too close to us while in line waiting for a ski chair lift. I told him that the rules require the wearing of masks in line (no exceptions). He started giving me shit. When the lift line attendant kicked him out of the line to the end. He started bitching again. The attendant warned him one more word and his ski pass would be pulled for the season. That shut him up.

I guess you’re a hero in your virtual world. Do you wear a cape ? Yeah I hear a lot about “I nearly knocked a guy out because he was so close”. Always online from keyboard warriors. Not once has anyone ever said anything. There’s an increasing number of people going about their business without masks. I was surprised that nothing is said.

Ask them.

I guess you’re a hero in your virtual world. Do you wear a cape ? Yeah I hear a lot about “I nearly knocked a guy out because he was so close”. Always online from keyboard warriors. Not once has anyone ever said anything. There’s an increasing number of people going about their business without masks. I was surprised that nothing is said.

?? That was at a ski mountain in the very conservative Idaho. Most skiers don't mess around with people who are so considerate that they'd breathe on other people's kids in a line. Not very smart to spread your germs over someone's kids. To be honest, even in Idaho, it's very rare to see a person violating the mask rules in the mountains. Of course, sometimes people forget, they get asked to put it on, they comply right away. I've only seen a couple assholes who argue about it like the guy described above. But in my opinion, breathing on someone intentionally during covid is just like assault.

?? That was at a ski mountain in the very conservative Idaho. Most skiers don't mess around with people who are so considerate that they'd breathe on other people's kids in a line.

FFS, you’re standing in line in the great outdoors. Get a grip of your irrational fears and bossy, authoritarian streak.

But in my opinion, breathing on someone intentionally during covid is just like assault.

Deliberately breathing on someone is very rude, obnoxious and objectionable but it’s not assault.

?? That was at a ski mountain in the very conservative Idaho. Most skiers don't mess around with people who are so considerate that they'd breathe on other people's kids in a line.

FFS, you’re standing in line in the great outdoors. Get a grip of your irrational fears and bossy, authoritarian streak.
6 f
But in my opinion, breathing on someone intentionally during covid is just like assault.

Deliberately breathing on someone is very rude, obnoxious and objectionable but it’s not assault.

I'd consult a lawyer and be very careful before deliberately breathing on anyone. Secondly, most places that I have seen (in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho) have taken the position that you don't need to wear a mask outside as long as you can maintain 6 feet or more separation from others. In the ski line for example, less than 6 feet isn't easy. So the ski resorts flat out require wearing a mask while in the ski line. Period. No exceptions. To be honest, I don't know why it's such a great sacrifice.

It’s an unnecessary sacrifice. You wear the mask if you like and mind your business, stay in your lane.

I went to my local state park today for the first time since September 2020. It's a fairly popular loop trail around the ponds and though the woods. Massachusetts mask requirements are to have a mask on inside or outside when out in public. I'd guess 50% compliance.

I always kept my mask on but I'd let it down below by nose when no one was less than 100 yards away. But I'd always raise it when passing or anywhere close to anyone got within 100 yards of me.

The worst were white guys perhaps 40-55 years old. I'd guess only 1 in 10 was is compliance. No mask at all visible. The large majority of them would not yet be illegible for the vaccine here. And being vaccinated is not a pass to skip the mask.

A close second worst were white women perhaps 30-45 years old. I'd guess 35% compliance.

There are lots of Asians in my area. They were 100% in compliance and closely followed by families with young kids who I would guess 95% compliance.

I definitely agree on the Asian bit. I've been trying to hike where there are as few people as possible but in the summer the suitable area is too small to truly be alone. In the first part of the summer I never saw a non-Asian with a mask. Later I saw a few--but even then some were dick-nosing. Most of the Asians were masked, though, and doing it right.

Ask them.

Nobody says anything because we know there's no point in trying to get maskholes to behave without the force of law behind it.

Ask them.

Try reading more carefully. I don't see any indication of physical force, but rather that the ski attendant was serious about enforcing the rules--he was almost knocked out of skiing for the season, not that he was almost knocked unconscious.

Outdoors is lower risk, not no risk.

If you want to gamble with your own life, that's your business. When you want to gamble with others, I have no problem with whatever force gets used against a maskhole.

There are lots of Asians in my area. They were 100% in compliance and closely followed by families with young kids who I would guess 95% compliance.

I definitely agree on the Asian bit. I've been trying to hike where there are as few people as possible but in the summer the suitable area is too small to truly be alone. In the first part of the summer I never saw a non-Asian with a mask. Later I saw a few--but even then some were dick-nosing. Most of the Asians were masked, though, and doing it right.

I've been to Japan a bunch of times. In the early days I'd wonder why some percentage of people would be wearing masks in the subways, at work, in shops. I asked our Japanese sales guy what it was all about. He told me that people wearing masks have a cold and are trying not to give it to others. I though, "Oh that's cool." It's just in the culture. I know you've been to China a bunch of times and I suspect you've seen the same thing.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of that transferred to the West? It's not some assault on freedom. It's common courtesy.

I've been to Japan a bunch of times. In the early days I'd wonder why some percentage of people would be wearing masks in the subways, at work, in shops. I asked our Japanese sales guy what it was all about. He told me that people wearing masks have a cold and are trying not to give it to others. I though, "Oh that's cool." It's just in the culture. I know you've been to China a bunch of times and I suspect you've seen the same thing.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of that transferred to the West? It's not some assault on freedom. It's common courtesy.

I've seen masks but I don't have the language to ask people why they are wearing them. I've always figured it was about pollution, the culture is too much every man for himself to think the masks are about protecting others.

Here is the perfect example of why COVID is still active

I participate regularly as a commenter on a blog run by a pastor (side note; I even have the gall to argue biblical interpretation with him! Don't think he much likes that...). He is a highly intelligent man, but completely lacks common sense and has no respect at all for science - even though his wife has a PhD in the nursing field. This is his latest proclamation about the COVID vaccine:

I'll determine for myself what the "public good" actually is, and in my view, the liberty of individuals to stand against government mandates is better than acquiescence.

Once you hand to the government control of your body, you place the government in the position of God. Everyone should feel free to choose a vaccination because it is an individual choice for one's own health. But we must safeguard our freedom and liberty to dissent against government forces.

Government isn't God, and nobody should trust its powers, its purpose, or its provisions. A limited state keeps our liberty safe.

I respect your right to vaccinate. Please respect my right to refuse.

It's for the public good.

For over a year now, I have tried to show him and other commenters that their reasoning is flawed. I even have biblical reasons that they should reconsider their position, but I am getting nowhere. I have been called a communist, a sheep, gullible, stupid - you name it. It is like pounding my head against a wall.

Today, I read this article in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/us/covid-vaccine-evangelicals.html

This is why we may never gain ground against this disease. It is positively heartbreaking. How can intelligent people actually believe this stuff?

And just a note - if you decide to look this up and participate in the discussions, please do so in a civil manner. I don't think spewing hatred will do any good at all. And you would probably be wise to not enlighten him about this forum; he might come here to make my life miserable. Thanks.

Ruth

I'll determine for myself what the "public good" actually is, and in my view, the liberty of individuals to stand against government mandates is better than acquiescence.

Hmm.... does he say the same about abortion? The liberty of the individual standing against a government trying to ban it?
I have to assume that your reply was ironic....how many pastors do you know that support abortion rights? :pigsfly:

Ruth

I don't think he needs to worry about having his right not to be vaccinated disrespected. I want him to respect my right to go out in public without having to be constantly worried about getting the virus as well as the high probability that if there were no government restrictions and nobody wore masks and social distanced the infection rate would skyrocket and destroy our way of life for the foreseeable future. Like all antivaxxer he should be thanking the ones who stepped up and got the vaccine (especially the ones who got the first doses) for the low infection rate. More Americans have died from COVID19 than died as the result of WWII. They seem to think we should try to appease the pandemic.

For over a year now, I have tried to show him and other commenters that their reasoning is flawed. I even have biblical reasons that they should reconsider their position, but I am getting nowhere. I have been called a communist, a sheep, gullible, stupid - you name it. It is like pounding my head against a wall.

You are dealing with irrational people, you will never persuade them. Stop pounding your head against a wall and move on.

Back
Top Bottom