• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

What does this pastor think that soldiers and cops are? Vigilantes?

That's what I think of when I see right-wingers object to government, because right-wingers *love* soldiers and cops. Or at least profess to.

As to biblical arguments, I like Romans 13:1, something I've long found rather odd.
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. (NET)

Every person is to be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. (NASB)

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. (KJV)
I find that odd because the Roman Empire's official religion at the time was worship of the deities of Rome's old-time religion, and not the Xian God.

That's what I think of when I see right-wingers object to government, because right-wingers *love* soldiers and cops. Or at least profess to.

As to biblical arguments, I like Romans 13:1, something I've long found rather odd.
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. (NET)

Every person is to be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. (NASB)

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. (KJV)
I find that odd because the Roman Empire's official religion at the time was worship of the deities of Rome's old-time religion, and not the Xian God.

Kinda puts a wrench into the right wing claim of voter fraud.

Also makes me wonder about a lunatic god who would "appoint" Marjorie Taylor Greene and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the same governing body.

Yep. I pointed out to him that his position was not defensible biblically as he was putting himself above scripture since Paul supposedly wrote this when Nero was emperor and was advocating obedience even to a tyrant.

He ignored that part of my post. One of those inconvenient things that he did not want to dwell on...

Ruth

One in three Covid survivors suffers 'brain disease,' study finds

(CNN)A major study published Tuesday suggests as many as one in three people infected with Covid-19 are left with longer term mental health or neurological symptoms.

Researchers found that 34% of coronavirus survivors received a diagnosis for a neurological or psychological condition within six months of infection, according to the research published in the journal Lancet Psychiatry.

The most common diagnosis was anxiety, found in 17% of those treated for Covid-19, followed by mood disorders, found in 14% of patients, CNN's Ryan Prior writes.

The results help light the way for how health care systems ought to continue helping Covid-19 survivors, the scientists said.

"Our results indicate that brain diseases and psychiatric disorders are more common after Covid-19 than after flu or other respiratory infections, even when patients are matched for other risk factors," said Maxime Taquet, an academic clinical fellow in psychiatry at the University of Oxford, and a co-author of the new report .

We got new quick tests in Denmark now. Pretty much anywhere in Copenhagen it's 15 minutes from the start of the queue to getting results. Really cool. If this is how it's going to be when they introduce vaccination passports I'm pretty cool with it. The rule will be, have a fresh test or be vaccinated. If yes, life is back to normal. If no, there's restrictions.

I was worried about how it would work when I first heard about it. I envisioned myself standing in endless lines and missing events because test results came too late. But if this is how it's going to work, I'm pretty cool with it.

Yea, Florida has really become right wing. Hard to believe that it almost went to Obama 8 years ago.

Florida is a state with a voting population that is split.

A lot of Democrats and a lot of Republicans.

But like the nation there is also a split with age.

More young Democrats than Republicans. The state will turn Democratic in a few decades.

This mask insanity is all because of Trump and his insane downplaying with lies.

He is still killing people.

Florida is a state with a voting population that is split.

A lot of Democrats and a lot of Republicans.

But like the nation there is also a split with age.

More young Democrats than Republicans. The state will turn Democratic in a few decades.

I have family members who equate being liberal and voting Democratic with being young and immature. They would say that these young people will become conservative and vote Republican when they get older so that change in demographics wouldn’t necessarily happen.

I don’t agree with them but I don’t really know the statistics of how people’s politics change as they age.

It really sucks how Walgreens pharmacy screwed with the scheduling for 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I got both doses there. When I signed up they schedule the 2nd dose at the same time. When it came up as 4 weeks apart I assumed it meant I was getting the Moderna one. When I went in for the first dose I was told it was Pfizer and I told the pharmacist that Pfizer specified 3 weeks apart. She told me they were given the approval to make both versions 4 weeks to ease scheduling. I asked if I could change it to 3 weeks and she said it would probably be impossible. So I let it slide. I mean she assured me they were given approval. Well it turns out they weren't and the CDC wants them to go back to the recommended 3 weeks. They're not saying it means it will be less effective at 4 weeks, but what else could it mean? Just sweep it under the rug I guess. :angry: You'll never find me shopping at Walgreens again. They're obviously just concerned about the bottom line and to hell with what the unthinking consumer thinks. Hell of a way to run a pharmacy.

It really sucks how Walgreens pharmacy screwed with the scheduling for 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I got both doses there. When I signed up they schedule the 2nd dose at the same time. When it came up as 4 weeks apart I assumed it meant I was getting the Moderna one. When I went in for the first dose I was told it was Pfizer and I told the pharmacist that Pfizer specified 3 weeks apart. She told me they were given the approval to make both versions 4 weeks to ease scheduling. I asked if I could change it to 3 weeks and she said it would probably be impossible. So I let it slide. I mean she assured me they were given approval. Well it turns out they weren't and the CDC wants them to go back to the recommended 3 weeks. They're not saying it means it will be less effective at 4 weeks, but what else could it mean? Just sweep it under the rug I guess. :angry: You'll never find me shopping at Walgreens again. They're obviously just concerned about the bottom line and to hell with what the unthinking consumer thinks. Hell of a way to run a pharmacy.

For what it's worth, the difference is likely negligible or nonexistent. Three weeks would be the gap used during trials, and therefore the gap required by their FDA approval for the treatment.

They know that three weeks works well; They probably have zero real world data on the effectiveness of other gaps.

But realistically, the chances of a four week gap being significantly less effective are low - the variation between patient responses is probably far more impactful than that variation in timing.

When I worked in pharmaceutical manufacturing, we would launch new products with a two year shelf life, instructing people to discard unused medication after 24 months from the date of manufacturing. This was because the stability samples from the first batches made for the trials were only two years old, so even if we "knew" the formulation was likely stable for a decade, we couldn't demonstrate that because there were no ten year old samples we could test.

After a few years, we often extended the expiration dates to four years, without changing anything about the formulation.

Similarly, I would expect that the conversation between Pfizer and the CDC went something like:

P: We don't have any reason to think that four, or even five weeks of gap will be a problem

C: Have the FDA licenced this product with a four or five week gap?

P: No.

C: Then go away and come back when you've repeated your trials with a longer gap, and gotten approval from the FDA.

For what it's worth, the difference is likely negligible or nonexistent. Three weeks would be the gap used during trials, and therefore the gap required by their FDA approval for the treatment.

What you say is very likely true. I believe you. I won't believe anyone who takes it upon themselves to make those decisions when they could have and clearly should have deferred to a higher authority. It was an asshole decision. The irony is that I'd already scheduled the first dose with my state's Vaccine Administration Management System but I found out I could get it a week earlier at Walgreens, so I cancelled my appointment. They were using the 3 week gap.

What you say is very likely true. I believe you. I won't believe anyone who takes it upon themselves to make those decisions when they could have and clearly should have deferred to a higher authority. It was an asshole decision. The irony is that I'd already scheduled the first dose with my state's Vaccine Administration Management System but I found out I could get it a week earlier at Walgreens, so I cancelled my appointment. They were using the 3 week gap.

Yeah, although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like they may have exceeded their authority.

Yeah, although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like they may have exceeded their authority.

We'll probably never know. In the end very few people would find themselves in my position. I got the vaccine for free. There's no way to prove any harm was done. The only one who would qualify as a plaintiff is the government, and they have no interest in casting any doubt on vaccine safety. Actually neither do I. But like I said I won't be shopping at Walgreens again if I can help it. Not at their pharmacy or for any of their store-brand products. Who knows what other corners they might cut because it's convenient. The fish rots from the head down.

NEARLY and an exact quote of George C Scott in Dr. Strangelove.

NEARLY and an exact quote of George C Scott in Dr. Strangelove.

That deserves a ROLFMAO! The exact quote is "And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority."

COVID-19 Funeral Assistance | FEMA.gov
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many families. At FEMA, our mission is to help people before, during and after disasters. We are dedicated to helping ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the virus.

Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.

Over at @repaoc on Instagram, AOC explained the details in an Instagram story.
Q: Even if they have already passed away?

A: Yes, the program is retroactive. Anyone who passed after January 20, 2020 is eligible.

Q: Do you need to prove low income or financial hardship to qualify?

A: No.

Means-tested programs slow relief and disproportionately hurt the families most in need.

Q: Do people qualify regardless of status?

A: The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, legal resident, asylee, refugee, or non-citizen national. The deceased can be documented or undocumented their status isn't considered when determining eligibility.

Q: Social worker here: what are the docs necessary for my clients to qualify for assistance

A:
  • An official death certificate that attributes the death directly or indirectly to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
  • Funeral expenses documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) that includes the applicant's name, the deceased person's name, the amount of funeral expenses, and the dates the funeral expenses happened.

Q: Does the cause of death have to say Covid? He was vented and that caused a heart attack

A: The death certificate must indicate the death "may have been caused by" or "was likely a result of" COVID-19 or COVID-19-like symptoms. Similar phrases that indicate a high likelihood of COVID-19 are also considered sufficient attribution.

Many localities are reissuing death certificates upon request because in the early days of the pandemic they weren't citing COVID as a cause of death. Reach out now if you think you may need to have the certificate amended.

New Yorkers, call 311 to start the process of amending a death certificate.

Q: Is the 9k limit per claimant filing or per death in the family?

A: $9k is the cap per burial. If an applicant is applying on behalf of multiple loved ones, $35k is the total amount they can receive.

Q: How close of a family member do you need to be to apply for this? And age?

A: You don't have to be a family member - but your name does have to be listed on the receipt for expenses.

Also, only one application can be submitted per burial. If multiple friends and family contributed to funeral costs, then they need to file the application together as applicant and co-applicant(s).

Q: Is it only via a phone hotline or is there going to be online submissions

A: You have to call to start. Once you've been given an application number, you can create an online account to provide the necessary supporting documentation.

That number again is 844-684-6333.

*** UPDATE ***

Over 1 MILLION people called the funeral assistance hotline today.

It's overwhelming to know so many need this relief, but we're glad families who have lost so much are getting help.

If you couldn't get through on the hotline today, please know there is not a deadline to apply. Try again and, while you're waiting, make sure you have all your documents ready.

AOC, Schumer tell families they can get help to pay for Covid burials
The pandemic is not only disproportionately striking racial and ethnic minority and low-income communities in life, but it’s following them past their deaths to unaffordable burials, said Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat.

She and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., highlighted $2 billion in assistance to help reimburse low-income families who had to scrape from their own money to afford funeral and burial expenses for loved ones they lost to Covid-19 last year.

“I lost my Dad when I was about 18 years old, and the funeral expenses haunted and followed my family along with many other families in a similar position for years,” Ocasio-Cortez said at a news conference in Queens on Monday. “When you suddenly lose a loved one, you’re talking about an expense of four or five, seven, 10 thousand dollars.”
Has speeches by CS and AOC.

Also,
ABC News Politics on Twitter: "WATCH: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez breaks down how people can begin the process of receiving federal financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral costs. (links)" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Come for the instructions, stay for the Spanglish 🇺🇸🇵🇷" / Twitter
About her delivering those instructions in both English and Spanish.

Back
Top Bottom