• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

But think of all the money we could save if all the old and weak people died. No social security outlays or doctors’ visits. I’m sure there must be other savings as well. And likely very little downsides, right?
Vicious old cynic that I am,

I can't help but think about all the government and insurance company bean counters out there calculating how much money C19 has saved them by pushing the old and sick(and expensive) people off the cliff a little earlier than the actuarial tables predicted.
Tom
Until somebody manages to make them recognize long Covid disability. That will erase all the gains.

We know that prior infection of covid that results in death prevents reinfection, so Tswizzle’s article has some merit. And while prior infection does provide some immunity, it also provides a higher possibility of death or severe illness compared to vaccines, something the study conveniently omits.
I diI mean you as a person, not as an abstraction, can't absorb new inforamtion that does not make you dn't see a link to the study. Do you perhaps mean that piece of crap that pretends to be journalism?

You can't absorb new information that does not let you enjoy the smell of your own farts.

But think of all the money we could save if all the old and weak people died. No social security outlays or doctors’ visits. I’m sure there must be other savings as well. And likely very little downsides, right?

Do you think that is why Cuomo sent infected patients into nursing homes, killing thousands of elderly?
How about quitting repeating Faux Noise propaganda??

The nursing homes were already infected. Even if the patients sent home from the hospitals were infectious it would have been a drop in the bucket. Besides, the peak of nursing home deaths was at a different time.

There is a lot of coverage on UK health minister Matt Hancock's WhatsApp texts that were exchanged during the covid 19 lockdown. In summary, Matt Hancock's decision making about lockdown and other policies was driven by politics and not science.

Britain was failed by a pro-lockdown clique incapable of admitting its errors.
Sweden was doing pretty well, in spite of having kept schools, pubs and restaurants open. Rather than ask what there was to learn, Hancock became enraged by what he called the “f—–g Sweden argument” and wanted it quashed. “Supply three or four bullet [points] of why Sweden is wrong,” he asked of his aides. Not whether it was wrong: why it was wrong…

Telegraph

Hancock is an arse.
In hindsight we know Sweden was wrong--they had a far higher death toll than their neighbors.

Won't be fooled again;

Dr. Anthony Fauci commissioned a February 2020 paper to disprove the possibility that COVID originated in a lab — before publicizing the study at a White House news conference weeks later. Newly-released emails uncovered by House Republicans probing the COVID-19 pandemic show the former head of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases both commissioned and had final approval on a scientific paper which claimed it was 'improbable' that the virus leaked out of a lab in Wuhan, China. Just a few weeks later, he stood next to then-President Donald Trump at a press conference and cited that very paper as evidence that the idea of a lab leak was implausible - without admitting he commissioned it. Many media outlets then started to dismiss the idea, only to later suggest the lab leak theory is possible as new evidence arose supporting the claim. And in January, the Energy Department and the FBI both concluded that the virus did likely spread from a lab leak in Wuhan. The CIA is yet to declare a definitive position. The bombshell emails released by House Republicans on Sunday shows that Fauci commissioned and edited a paper entitled The Proximal Origin of SARS-CoV-2 before he cited it as evidence that COVID did not originate from a lab in Wuhan. It was written just four days after Fauci, and his NIH boss Francis Collins, held a call with the authors to discuss reports that COVID may have been leaked from a genetic testing lab in Wuhan and 'may have been intentionally genetically manipulated.' And in the emails, Dr. Kristian Andersen admits that Fauci 'prompted' him to write the paper with the goal of 'disproving' the lab leak theory.

Daily Mail

It still doesn't prove that the virus came from a lab but it does say a lot about Fauci being the dishonest, flip flopping toady that he is.

What a load of rubbish. We all know Covid-19 originated from Hunter's Laptop (see Daily Mail).

What a load of rubbish. We all know Covid-19 originated from Hunter's Laptop (see Daily Mail).
It's mystifying that there's this running cover for the CCP; like, what's with that?
Not really. It'd be taking emails and documents out of context. The issue at that moment was how to deal with Covid-19 in America. Lots of people thought the best course of action was nothing because "you can't live in fear" and Covid-19 "wasn't much worse than the flu". These same people then wanted to blame China for unleashing a biomedically altered disease on the world!

Ultimately, if it came from a lab, that was an issue to be resolved later, as the pandemic needed to be dealt with in the present. The evidence it came from a lab hasn't particularly increased in the recent past and seems an odd windmill for people who said Covid-19 wasn't a big deal to aim their lances at.

After all, these same people have said:
  • can't live in fear
  • not much worse than the flu
  • death statistics are exaggerated
    • people dying in motorcycle accidents are being counted as Covid-19 deaths
    • hospitals had financial reasons to blame more deaths on Covid-19
    • people die all the time, they are just blaming it on Covid-19

But also quoting articles that state:
It was written just four days after Fauci, and his NIH boss Francis Collins, held a call with the authors to discuss reports that COVID may have been leaked from a genetic testing lab in Wuhan and 'may have been intentionally genetically manipulated.'

Which is it? China unleashed genetically manipulated disease on the world... or not much worse than the flu?

Which is it? China unleashed genetically manipulated disease on the world... or not much worse than the flu?
Those are mutually exclusive. I just don't get this passion to protect Xi and the Chi-Coms. That it leaked from a lab which was doing gain-of-function testing on similar viruses is entirely plausible.

Those are mutually exclusive. I just don't get this passion to protect Xi and the Chi-Coms. That it leaked from a lab which was doing gain-of-function testing on similar viruses is entirely plausible.

I don't know of any "passion to protect Xi and the Chi-Coms."

What I am seeing is a passion to protect the TeaPartiers like Trump who caused the disasters in the USA with their response to the epidemic.
I'm fairly confident that the epidemic originated in a Chinese virology lab. The disaster here resulted mainly from the Trump administration claiming "It's a Chinese plot. But it's no big deal. We'll have the country open by Easter. Masks and sanitizer and social distancing are against freedom. Vaccination is a plot by leftists bent on world domination!"

Oh, and "Watch me slash the rate of new C19 infections. I'll close down testing sites."

Trump is the problem, here in the USA. Nothing to do with China in any important way.
Tom

Those are mutually exclusive. I just don't get this passion to protect Xi and the Chi-Coms.
*Oleg standing around*
Oleg: HOLY FUCK! I've been struck by an arrow in the chest.
Jimmy Higgins: We need to take care of that immediately. Is there a doctor in here?
Oleg: No! No! Before we deal with that I need to know who shot it.
Jimmy Higgins: What? No, that thing will kill you. Are you supposed to leave it in or take it out? All the medical stuff I know is from movies.
Elixir: I'm pretty certain you make a small incision into the lung to relieve the pressure from the bleeding.
Jimmy Higgins: Really?
Elixir: Naw, I'm just saying stuff.
Oleg: What are you two protecting the person that attacked me?
TSwizzle: The Daily Mail ain't got nothing on how to deal with this, but it does suggest that Hunter Biden's laptop could be at fault.
Jimmy Higgins: He's bleeding pretty bad here.
Elixir: Well we aren't doctors. This is a pretty bad web board to get attacked with an arrow.
Oleg: There you guys go again... protecting the shooter.
Jimmy Higgins: Dude, you are bleeding out, why is finding out the shooter so important at this very moment? *applies pressure to wounds*
Elixir: I think you are supposed to do that with a clothe, not an anvil.
Jimmy Higgins: Oh... my ba....
Oleg: Get your hands off of me. I am going to find out who... *starts wobbling* why are you guys so blurry...
*Oleg drops dead, maybe passes out... I don't know*
Ziprhead: Well fuck me... I leave this web board alone for five minutes...
That it leaked from a lab which was doing gain-of-function testing on similar viruses is entirely plausible.
Join our blog and learn terms like "Gain-of-function" so you can use them in sentences and pretend you know anything about immunology and virology.

It's mystifying that there's this running cover for the CCP; like, what's with that?
I think it is more to do with siding with their guy Fauci no matter what and Trump Derangement Syndrome which is particularly strong in some here.

"China is bad therefore they must be blamed" isn't a serious starting point for finding out the origin. It's not that people are defending them, it's that they know you can't investigate the origin on this premise.

I think it is more to do with siding with their guy Fauci no matter what and Trump Derangement Syndrome which is particularly strong in some here.
To be fair, most statements about what Fauci said or did were misunderstandings or fabrications, or a mix of the two. So there is a reflexive response to statements about Fauci by the alt-right of "that's just more bullshit".

"China is bad therefore they must be blamed" isn't a serious starting point for finding out the origin. It's not that people are defending them, it's that they know you can't investigate the origin on this premise.

Oh but yes people ARE defending them or at least they were. Do you not remember how quickly so many of the so called experts fell over themselves to sign a letter condemning the "conspiracy theory" that covid originated in a lab?

Whether covid originated in a lab or not we may never know for sure but to dismiss it as a possibility is rather foolish.

Oh but yes people ARE defending them or at least they were. Do you not remember how quickly so many of the so called experts fell over themselves to sign a letter condemning the "conspiracy theory" that covid originated in a lab?

Whether covid originated in a lab or not we may never know for sure but to dismiss it as a possibility is rather foolish.
I think many are open to the possibility, but a lot of the lab leak chatter was also linked into bio-weapon talk, which made it hard to have rational discussions.

In defense or your and Oleg's argument though, there is a willingness by the WHO to be "very diplomatic" with the Chinese govt. The WHO wants continued access to Chinese labs and does not want to lose it.

I've asked this question many times. It's been ignored by the TeaParty Trump supporters over and over.

I'll ask it again.

Why is where C19 originated so important, compared to the question "Why did it cause so much trouble, death and destruction, here in the U.S.?"

Why don't TeaPartiers want to discuss the federal government's response to the virus? Why does finger pointing(away from the President Trump) remain the passion of so many Americans?

Why is that?

I am confident that I know why it is. Feel free to give me a reason to think I'm wrong, @TSwizzle .
Tom

I've asked this question many times. It's been ignored by the TeaParty Trump supporters over and over.

I'll ask it again.

Why is where C19 originated so important, compared to the question "Why did it cause so much trouble, death and destruction, here in the U.S.?"

Why don't TeaPartiers want to discuss the federal government's response to the virus? Why does finger pointing(away from the President Trump) remain the passion of so many Americans?

Why is that?

I am confident that I know why it is. Feel free to give me a reason to think I'm wrong, @TSwizzle .
Tom
Agree. I'm way more concerned about the response. If one comes down the pipe with even a little higher mortality rate it's not going to be good.

Not just the US, there were a lot of botched responses. And what if it's bad enough where vaccinations need to be mandated, that's if they develop one in time for it to matter.

Back
Top Bottom