• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

This is a must read. It deals with more than just covid, but judicial ethics.

Buried in the April 2022 ruling that struck down the Biden administration’s mask mandate was a section that was unusual for a court decision.

The outcome itself was far from surprising. Places all over the country were dropping local mask requirements, and the judge hearing this case — a challenge to the federal mandate to mask on planes and other public transportation — was a conservative Trump appointee, U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle for the Middle District of Florida. Mizelle ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s mask requirement overstepped the agency’s legal authority.

What was eye-catching was her explanation of why. In her ruling, Mizelle wrote she had consulted the Corpus of Historical American English, an academic search engine that returns examples of how words and phrases are used in select historical texts. Mizelle searched “sanitation,” a crucial word in the 1944 statute that authorizes the CDC to issue disease-prevention rules, and found it generally was used to describe the act of making something clean. “Wearing a mask,” she wrote, “cleans nothing.”

This is a must read. It deals with more than just covid, but judicial ethics.

Buried in the April 2022 ruling that struck down the Biden administration’s mask mandate was a section that was unusual for a court decision.

The outcome itself was far from surprising. Places all over the country were dropping local mask requirements, and the judge hearing this case — a challenge to the federal mandate to mask on planes and other public transportation — was a conservative Trump appointee, U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle for the Middle District of Florida. Mizelle ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s mask requirement overstepped the agency’s legal authority.

What was eye-catching was her explanation of why. In her ruling, Mizelle wrote she had consulted the Corpus of Historical American English, an academic search engine that returns examples of how words and phrases are used in select historical texts. Mizelle searched “sanitation,” a crucial word in the 1944 statute that authorizes the CDC to issue disease-prevention rules, and found it generally was used to describe the act of making something clean. “Wearing a mask,” she wrote, “cleans nothing.”
The Republicans are right. The justice system is corrupt!

Your tax dollars at work.
Do you think they did that without Trump's knowledge? The anti-China propaganda seemed to peak under his administration and that included statements by him....

Do you think they did that without Trump's knowledge? The anti-China propaganda seemed to peak under his administration and that included statements by him....
Yeah, blame it on the President.

Is there some pro-Trump reason you wish to claim deep state conspiracy?

Trump did not even cross my mind in this news.
I doubt that Trump was even that hands on to order Pentagon to do that shit, let alone Pentagon obeying if they did not want to.

I doubt that Trump was even that hands on to order Pentagon to do that shit, let alone Pentagon obeying if they did not want to.

Well, it was ordered by someone high up and Trump clearly had an anti-China agenda. The propaganda continued slightly into Biden's administration, but when he found out he put a stop to it, according to the ivestigation.

Well, it was ordered by someone high up and Trump clearly had an anti-China agenda. The propaganda continued slightly into Biden's administration, but when he found out he put a stop to it, according to the ivestigation.
I doubt it was Trump. And I also doubt that Pentagon would follow that order if there was not enough people to agree with that shit order.

That was my first thought on reading about it, also. They're just being anti-vax while China bashing.

I doubt it was Trump. And I also doubt that Pentagon would follow that order if there was not enough people to agree with that shit order.
Yeah. He was only the commander in chief. Why would the responsibility lie with him? Just like every other bad thing that’s ever happened around him, it’s someone else’s fault. Bad lawyers, bad generals, bad contractors, lying women, bad accountants, etc.

Yeah. He was only the commander in chief. Why would the responsibility lie with him? Just like every other bad thing that’s ever happened around him, it’s someone else’s fault. Bad lawyers, bad generals, bad contractors, lying women, bad accountants, etc.
I did not know USA was a dictatorship.

I did not know USA was a dictatorship.
It’s not. But the President is in charge of the military. The Congress decides on the funding but the President is in command.

I’m surprised that you wouldn’t know this because you understand American politics so well.

It’s not. But the President is in charge of the military.
No, he is not, certainly not the current one. Current one is hardly in charge of his own body. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni is more in charge of his body becasue she had to direct him where to look and where to stand.

No US president can wake up one day and give ridiculous order to the military.
Even non-ridiculous orders go through process. The only orders which don't go through process are the simple one like "Fetch me a cheeseburger, or bring me my slippers". US president has his team which he is not free to select, then there is Deep State, then there are oligarchs and simply donors, in the end of the list there are people like Shadowy Man who think they elect a person which will do what they vote for.

Trump wanted a military parade, did he get one? No, he did not. US presidents are the figure heads, especially last few decades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom