• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

WHO is pressing the panic button and bumps the variant ahead of the line and now this is a "Variant of Concern". Went from click bait to umm... this could suck pretty quick. But it is still VERY early on.
I've been wearing masks from the start, and I'm fully vaccinated. This is serious. It's sad to see how people don't see it that way...

Yup. When the CDC was easing up I didn't because I figured a variant would blow up on us--and along came Delta. And the first looks at Omicron look much worse than Delta. It's not a descendant of Delta, all those morons who took the chance on natural immunity are liable to find it doesn't work anymore. On the other hand, I've seen estimates that tailored vaccines could be made in 100 days. Minor recoding of the target doesn't require full-blown testing like the original vaccine received. (And before people start screaming about this--it's the same with the flu vaccine. A minor change in the targeting gets a phase 1 trial, not the whole works.)

This was presented by HR at the company meeting where I currently work on October 6th this year. The claim is that the CDC forecasts a decline to next to nothing by March but the CDC doesn't make forecasts like this. The chart is not a CDC source.

The announcement was that the company plan would be for everyone to be required back in the office 3 days a week Nov and Dec and then 4 days a week starting January.

What would your reaction be if shown this slide?

View attachment 36205

I would figure it came from the QOP.

I have questioned that too for quite a while now. Some industry claims that requiring vaccination will make it harder to fill open positions. I wonder if the lack of an employee vaccine requirement may be keeping even more people away. Even health care. If I was a health care worker i would NOT take a job where vaccination was not required

Wouldn't make much difference to me--in such positions I'd be more afraid of the customers than the staff.

In practice--I'm not going to the office, period. I've been on site 3 times in now 7? years, I know they're not careful, there won't be a 4th time until this is over. (And there might never be a fourth time anyway.)

This was presented by HR at the company meeting where I currently work on October 6th this year. The claim is that the CDC forecasts a decline to next to nothing by March but the CDC doesn't make forecasts like this. The chart is not a CDC source.

The announcement was that the company plan would be for everyone to be required back in the office 3 days a week Nov and Dec and then 4 days a week starting January.

View attachment 36205

What's QOP?

Loren Pechtel said:
It's not a descendant of Delta, all those morons who took the chance on natural immunity are liable to find it doesn't work anymore.
That might happen. Or it might happen the other way: maybe those with natural immunity will still have stronger immunity than those vaccinated (with viral vector or mRNA vaccines) because the new virus is similar enough to the old ones in parts that aren't the spike protein to give a reasonable amount of protection, but the spike protein is too different from those vaccinated with that kind of vaccines. Or maybe both will work. Or maybe Omicron would just not be lethal enough to be a serious threat. We do not really know at this point.

Loren Pechtel said:
Minor recoding of the target doesn't require full-blown testing like the original vaccine received. (And before people start screaming about this--it's the same with the flu vaccine. A minor change in the targeting gets a phase 1 trial, not the whole works.)
Of course, but it's a problem if the people who scream about it are in a position of power and can force the tests before deployment of the vaccine (well, it's a problem if Omicron turns out to be a serious problem; else, we got lucky. We'll have to wait and see). It was already bad enough that they went through all the tests before vaccination. As some pointed out before phase 3 trials, the vaccines would have saved many lives if deployed earlier. The expected value given the risks was much better. But we'll see. Maybe we'll get lucky and this thing will kill less or much less than previous variants.

Omicron seems to be affecting young people predominantly and symptoms are just severe headache. No lungs problems, no temperature, no loss of sense of taste/smell.
Of course these are young people.

Omicron seems to be affecting young people predominantly and symptoms are just severe headache. No lungs problems, no temperature, no loss of sense of taste/smell.
Of course these are young people.
Anecdotal, limited source, from South Africa, but hopefully it continues pushing that way. The doctor also indicated that unvax'd were affected more. I fear that this being good news will weaken the WHO more because people will overstate what going VOC with Omicron meant.

Well, technically it is consistent with theory. Viruses which start as deadly, evolve to become more infectious but less (immediately) deadly.

ATLANTA, GA -- With at least a couple weeks until medical experts can begin parsing data collected since the debut of the Omicron variant, media companies will be struggling to stretch what miniscule information that exists now into articles.

The World Health Organization classified the latest variant, first detected in South Africa, as a "variant of concern" in light of the myriad of mutations it contains. The labeling provided nations and pharmaceutical companies the notification to begin hard research on the variant to determine whether this combination of mutations would be an issue for existing vaccines, as well as those with natural immunity.

However, with that data collection just beginning, there is virtually nothing media companies will be able to speak on until the data collection is completed and the numbers analyzed, leaving them powerless to actually report on this in such a way that won't be monotonous and repetitive and repetitive.

"There are only so many times you can say 'mutations on the spike protein'," indicated Sally Wetherfield, an editor with CNN.

View attachment 36205

What's QOP?
GOP + Q

GOP Rep. Goes From Anti-Vax On Fox News To Pro -Vax On CNN In One Day - YouTube
Republican Congresswoman Nancy Mace (R-SC) literally spoke from both sides of her mouth about Covid-19 on Sunday night cable news as she promoted “natural immunity” to the virus on @Fox News and then Zoom'd in to @CNN to encourage people to get vaccinated.
Was Sunday, Nov 28. NM wore the same shirt in both appearances.

Sam Seder and his fellow commentators Emma Vigeland and Nomiki Konst then had a big chortle at NM's remarkable flip-flop performance.

I suspect this video was made solely for TSwizzle:

Wow, that twat has terrible taste in coats, hats.

At least he's making himself clear that he's a fucking twat.

GOP Rep. Goes From Anti-Vax On Fox News To Pro -Vax On CNN In One Day - YouTube
Republican Congresswoman Nancy Mace (R-SC) literally spoke from both sides of her mouth about Covid-19 on Sunday night cable news as she promoted “natural immunity” to the virus on @Fox News and then Zoom'd in to @CNN to encourage people to get vaccinated.
Was Sunday, Nov 28. NM wore the same shirt in both appearances.

Sam Seder and his fellow commentators Emma Vigeland and Nomiki Konst then had a big chortle at NM's remarkable flip-flop performance.
I watched the video, but I don't see where she said anything "anti-vax" on Fox News. She just talked about benefits of natural immunity...that doesn't mean you are against vaccination. Can you clarify?

I watched the video, but I don't see where she said anything "anti-vax" on Fox News. She just talked about benefits of natural immunity...that doesn't mean you are against vaccination. Can you clarify?
She's giving her supporters what they want to hear, both audiences. Not so mysterious considering she's a politician. I didn't watch the video so I cannot determine whether she answered any substantive questions with substantive answers. Is she taking a "both sides" position? If she is that is clearly anti-vax and anti-science. It's like not discussing that the earth is a sphere with a flat earther. Big woot.

She's giving her supporters what they want to hear, both audiences. Not so mysterious considering she's a politician. I didn't watch the video so I cannot determine whether she answered any substantive questions with substantive answers. Is she taking a "both sides" position? If she is that is clearly anti-vax and anti-science. It's like not discussing that the earth is a sphere with a flat earther. Big woot.
From the Fox interview:

"In some studies that I have read natural immunity gives you 27 times more protection against future COVID infection than a vaccination. So we need to take all of the science into account and not selectively choosing what science to follow when we are making policy decisions."
The anti-vax part is saying natural immunity is sooo much better than any vaccination.

From CNN:
"and I've been a proponent of vaccinations and wearing masks when we need to when we had the Delta variant raging in South Carolina I wrote an op-ed to my community. And I worked with our state department of health. I run ads encouraging my district to go and get vaccinated. And when we have these variants and we have these spikes to take every precaution, from washing our hands to wearing the N95 or KN95 masks. More than the medical masks, there is a significant, statistically significant, number of people that are protected from COVID when they wear those masks"
No mention of masks when on Fox, no mention of the 'superiority' of natural immunity when on CNN.

"In some studies that I have read natural immunity gives you 27 times more protection against future COVID infection than a vaccination. So we need to take all of the science into account and not selectively choosing what science to follow when we are making policy decisions."
The anti-vax part is saying natural immunity is sooo much better than any vaccination.
From what I’ve heard this is a misrepresentation (whether purposeful or not) of a study stating something of a 27 PERCENT increase, not 27 TIMES.

Back
Top Bottom