• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I've actually witnessed the tests. I witnessed a volunteer breathing normal in a chamber. Then an engineer used a laser-based particle analysis to show how far his air particles were being injected. And then different forms of a mask (they were testing various masks for effectiveness); some masks were more effective than others at "bottling up the particles". This report is not open to the public as it was paid for by a private mask manufacturing company.

But to me, the far more curious question is why are you so suspicious? You have some information regarding the Mask Manufacturers or something? Is this some kind of conspiracy belief? Why else would medical professionals personally wear masks? They are all duped by the Mask Manufacturing Union?
Well... yeah. This is all a massive conspiracy of the Five Jew Bankers to control us as people, and they are starting with masks on our faces (during a global pandemic) just because they can.

What? If I substitute Five Jew Bankers with National Governments, it makes the claim look less fucking stupid?

I've actually witnessed the tests. I witnessed a volunteer breathing normal in a chamber. Then an engineer used a laser-based particle analysis to show how far his air particles were being injected. And then different forms of a mask (they were testing various masks for effectiveness); some masks were more effective than others at "bottling up the particles". This report is not open to the public as it was paid for by a private mask manufacturing company.

I don't doubt that. But most of the masks (if you can even call a cloth face covering a mask) being used by the general public are not to a high standard and are not doing very much (if anything) to stop the spread in any meaningful or observable way. Even the CDC has acknowledged cloth face coverings (bandanas, homemade masks etc) are ineffective.

I don't doubt that. But most of the masks (if you can even call a cloth face covering a mask) being used by the general public are not to a high standard and are not doing very much (if anything) to stop the spread in any meaningful or observable way. Even the CDC has acknowledged cloth face coverings (bandanas, homemade masks etc) are ineffective.
First off, sorry I was being overly sarcastic. Regarding the tests that I witnessed: the various masks all had different degress of protection depending upon the quality of the mask (common sense right?). But any substance going over the mouth and nose will have some amount of protection. There was a bandana in the test that I witnessed. It did lower the "emittance" of air particles some, but not a lot. Then there was a very expensive mask (almost like an astronaut's helmet!); that blocked out nearly all air particles. Then there were various other masks of differing quality and cost. As you would expect, the manufacturer was looking for the best mask at a certain threshold at the cheapest cost and design.

Study on masks and materials. I keep reading about how cloth masks "don't do anything" or are "ineffective". For the record, the CDC never said that cloth masks were the greatest disease prevention option ever conceived. Additionally, the term 'cloth mask' (like bandanas, which aren't cloth masks) has no viable definition. One ply, two play, TPI, etci...

Cloth masks provide a limited benefit that comes with no negative health consequences other than not being comfortable (like real masks). So a little gain, no loss. This is a no-brainer... but the people without brains still can't seem to grasp the concept.

It was something that could be easily produced, easily be cleaned. Which meant many people could gain access to it so the real masks could go to the people at the highest risk of transmission.

Two-ply cheap cloth (DYI stuff at Joanns) masks, provide filtering of about 33%. That isn't great, but it is much better than 0%. Better, higher TPI cotton, got up to 80% which is very good.

And with Omicron out these days, you need N95 or KN95 if you weren't smart enough to get some before Omicron hit the states.

I didn't question the study. I haven't read it properly to critique it. I asked for the source of evidence.

Really, this level of hostility to a polite question isn't useful.
This has been a standard distortion by the death cultists--asking for evidence to a standard that clearly can't exist. It's been explained over and over.
Twice wrong in two minutes.

I am not a 'death cultist', nor did I ask for evidence to a standard that cannot exist. I asked for evidence, and I suggested the kind of evidence that could justify the conclusion quoted.

Your instant hostility to a polite question is noted.

Because it wasn't just a polite question. It has been a repeated refrain to ask for evidence that masks work and then claiming the evidence isn't adequate.

Now, there is unlikely evidence for that school district, but overall masks have been shown to be of benefit time and again.

It is not 'obvious'. The advice on masking has changed throughout the pandemic, from 'security theatre' to 'a good idea' to 'absolutely essential' back to 'security theatre' (for cloth masks).

I suppose you are the arbiter of what statements are 'obvious' and what questions around them are 'ridiculous'.

No. Originally it was not understood that it was contagious before symptoms, thus the recommendation to save masks for those with symptoms. Note the underlying issue--there weren't enough masks to go around, using them on the sick and the medical people was the best use of the limited supply.

No. Originally nothing was understood, including people who were saying it was not airborne.

No. Nobody has said it's not airborne.

What happened was at first they were saying it wasn't shown to be airborne. Not the same thing at all!

By now we have addressed the supply issue, masks have continually been recommended since then. Cloth masks were a workaround for a lack of supply of the proper ones, they were never recommended.

You're trying to reduce a complex thing to a sound bite and thus you think the message has changed. It never has, it's just been more complex than a yes/no. And note that the government mandates generally have been designed very poorly.
The messaging has changed several times. That you have distorted it into a message with a consistent through-line is an artifact of your memory, not a property of reality.

The message hasn't changed. The soundbite version of the message has changed multiple times. That's what you get for listening to soundbite versions!

You make a good point. If someone makes a positive claim, it's up to the claimer to back it up with evidence. It's just that at some point, hopefully the evidence will be so commonly accepted that we won't have to continue showing it's proof.

With regard to masks that point has long since been reached, but the death cultists keep pretending otherwise.

The percentage of people dying while wearing a parachute is greater than the percentage of people dying while NOT wearing a parachute. Therefore, next time you jump from a plane, don't wear a parachute.

You thinking of this:

Wearing a parachute was found to have zero relationship with injuries sustained from jumping from an airplane. (Under certain conditions.)

(And, yes, properly done research--it's just the certain conditions mean it has no relevance.)

Four inmates at an Arkansas jail have filed a lawsuit against the facility and its doctor after they said they were unknowingly prescribed ivermectin to treat Covid-19 as a form of “medical experimentation” despite US health officials warning that the anti-parasitic drug should not be used for that purpose.

The Arkansas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of the men last week against Washington county jail, the Washington county sheriff, Tim Helder, and jail physician Dr Robert Karas. Last August, Helder revealed that the drug had been prescribed to patients with Covid-19.

“The lawsuit charges the defendants for administering ivermectin to incarcerated individuals without prior informed consent as to the nature, contents, or potential side effects of the drug,” the ACLU said in a statement last week.

The use was talked about before but this is the first I heard they didn't know what was going on.

I didn't question the study. I haven't read it properly to critique it. I asked for the source of evidence.

Really, this level of hostility to a polite question isn't useful.
This has been a standard distortion by the death cultists--asking for evidence to a standard that clearly can't exist. It's been explained over and over.
Twice wrong in two minutes.

I am not a 'death cultist', nor did I ask for evidence to a standard that cannot exist. I asked for evidence, and I suggested the kind of evidence that could justify the conclusion quoted.

Your instant hostility to a polite question is noted.

Because it wasn't just a polite question. It has been a repeated refrain to ask for evidence that masks work and then claiming the evidence isn't adequate.

Now, there is unlikely evidence for that school district, but overall masks have been shown to be of benefit time and again.
Fuck off. It was a polite question. But this isn't a polite fucking response. Your past dealings with people who are not me are not my affair nor are they my fault. You misunderstood what I was asking and then you were abusive about it.

Yes, people said that. Your experience of the world is not everybody's experience. I have read things you haven't.
What happened was at first they were saying it wasn't shown to be airborne. Not the same thing at all!
No. I know the difference.
The message hasn't changed. The soundbite version of the message has changed multiple times. That's what you get for listening to soundbite versions!
The message changed multiple times. You editing your memory does not change the past. COVID policy was policy on the run.

The question is, how many times are people supposed to back up said claims?

Just the once would suffice.

Anyway, throughout this pandemic, statisticians and politicians have been playing fast and loose with the numbers.;

Covid was not the underlying cause of death in nearly a quarter of virus-related fatalities last week, official figures suggest. The most up-to-date Office for National Statistics figures showed there were 922 deaths registered in England and Wales mentioned coronavirus on the death certificate in the week to January 7. Of them, Covid was not ruled to be the primary reason for the death in 210 cases, or 23 per cent — although it may have been a contributing factor.

Daily Mail

The Daily Fail. And this doesn't say that the cause of death wasn't Covid. It's not unusual for death certificates to list an immediate cause of death that has no obvious connection to the underlying cause of death.

My father died of kidney failure. But did he? No, he died because the tumor blocked the ureter for his remaining kidney, the real cause of death was the cancer. (Yes, that could have been addressed but all that would have done is bought a bit more time of being out of it on morphine.)

My mother died of septic shock. But did she? No, she died from the chemotherapy for the cancer. (The doc did nothing wrong--it's a balance between losing patients to the chemo and losing them to the cancer. If you don't lose a few to the chemo you're losing more overall.)

The reality is that the excess death toll is well above the "Covid" death toll. With how sick you have to be to get in the hospital these days plenty of people clot out before reaching that point. Not to mention that the aftermath of Covid bad enough to send you to the hospital stresses your systems and leads to substantially increased all-cause mortality and none of those deaths will be "Covid".

I would like to remind everyone that cloth masks came into wide use because there was a shortage of N95’s, etc. and those were being diverted as much as possible to medical settings and other front line workers. Thousands of home sewers produced masks for distribution, free or at low cost. Many clothing manufacturers used their left over cotton fabrics to make masks, sold inexpensively, in part to keep employees working, and to keep their brand relevant and also as acts of generosity to their communities. One woman in my community made and distributed thousands of masks st no charge—high quality cloth masks made with 3 layers. She would just announce via community page that she had so many dozens that were free, and to pick them up at her fence. Themes for holidays, seasons, sizes for kids. Some masks came with pockets between layers for inserting filters.

It was a stop gap measure that thousands of people poured their hearts into, for the good of their community.

So, the fact that people often do a half-assed job is a reason not to do it at all?

Hmmm.... Most illegals don't come across the desert in the first place. Thus the wall does a half-assed job at best. Don't build the wall!

Yes, people said that. Your experience of the world is not everybody's experience. I have read things you haven't.
No. I know the difference.
The message changed multiple times. You editing your memory does not change the past. COVID policy was policy on the run.
Well, yes. Policy evolved as more information was gained. Unfortunately there has been an inordinate amount of politics involved in policy and it’s response to emerging information about the virus, which itself has abs continues to evolve and about what measures are most effective against the virus.

I've actually witnessed the tests. I witnessed a volunteer breathing normal in a chamber. Then an engineer used a laser-based particle analysis to show how far his air particles were being ejected.
Who owned the lasers? Were they Jewish lasers? Follow the money.

Huh? The Jews have space lasers. He's not an astronaut, he couldn't have been watching space lasers, thus why talk about Jews?

I've actually witnessed the tests. I witnessed a volunteer breathing normal in a chamber. Then an engineer used a laser-based particle analysis to show how far his air particles were being ejected.
Who owned the lasers? Were they Jewish lasers? Follow the money.

Huh? The Jews have space lasers. He's not an astronaut, he couldn't have been watching space lasers, thus why talk about Jews?
Do they only own the lasers once they get into space? I really don't know how the laser ownership process works.
:confused2:

Back
Top Bottom