• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cuomo Investigation Complete - Appears Damning

Odd that his resignation comes due to being handsy and not for killing grandma. What a world.

If you're going to go after elected officials who royally fucked up the response to Covid, Cuomo is one of them but certainly not the worst by a significant margin. Does that really need to be pointed out to you?

This all must be really hard for you.

Odd that his resignation comes due to being handsy and not for killing grandma. What a world.

If you're going to go after elected officials who royally fucked up the response to Covid, Cuomo is one of them but certainly not the worst by a significant margin. Does that really need to be pointed out to you?

This all must be really hard for you.

Nope, pretty straight forward. Democrat politicians are being held accountable. Republicans being the bad faith actors that we've all come to know and despise. Nothing really new.

He’s only being held accountable because of the MeToo; not for killing grandma.

I’m not sure why you’re saying this. Do you really not know that the nursing home problem is one of the things they are investigating? Surely you didn’t fail to notice that?

You keep repeating this as if it is not ALSO part of the publicly reported issue.
Even the media has been all over him on it, including this Aug 4 article in the Times

Lawmakers are calling for the governor’s resignation

After The New York Post reported on Ms. DeRosa’s remarks, Mr. Cuomo admitted that the lack of transparency on the nursing home data had been a mistake. But he did not offer a full apology and lashed out at a Democratic lawmaker who had repeatedly pressed for investigations into the matter.

The lawmaker, Assemblyman Ron Kim, a Queens Democrat, had said he believed the administration was “trying to dodge having any incriminating evidence” when it withheld the data.

Mr. Kim said the governor had called him and had threatened to ruin his reputation unless he rescinded the remarks. At a subsequent news conference, Mr. Cuomo responded by denouncing Mr. Kim in scathing terms.

As the governor became engulfed in controversy, the Legislature’s Democratic leaders moved to strip him of the emergency powers he had been granted when the pandemic hit New York.

What a strange hill to die on.

Opposed to mask mandates in the middle of a pandemic.

I'm sure he will look great in history over this.

I like this:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "When abusers of power ..." / Twitter
When abusers of power blame everyone else for “misunderstanding” their abuse, it is often a way to gain sympathy from those who’ve ever been / could be involved in a misunderstanding.

But the intentional environment of fear & intimidation harassers create is far from a mistake.

There is a huge difference between having an awkward interaction and discussing / learning from it vs. mobilizing entire networks and institutions to bring in victims, silence coverage, and retaliate against those who report abuse.

Trying to blur that line helps abuses continue.

Gov. Cuomo’s resignation is necessary and long overdue. But there is still a large amount of work ahead to account for and reverse the ways our institutions were molded over years to maximize the impunity and lack of transparency necessary for these abuses to unfold as they did.

Meanwhile in Florida, several parents of school age children are now suing DeSantis. Maybe this will start a trend.

If Desantis can't be touched after obviously creating a law to be used specifically against black people he'll be just fine.

I was surprised that the nursing home thing didn’t cause more outrage, too. It’s true it was a trying situation and no clear idea where to put the elderly who were positive but not sick. But yeah, the solution they did use was worth investigating. At the least i hope it results in a better disaster recovery plan than they had.

An article i read in the times suggested he was “riding high” in public opinion due to his pandemic response. But those comments underrepresent how thin that veneer was. He has a reputation for being a bully. That did not go away. He did not have a strong base of support. But he let the media convince him that he did.

I'm not at all convinced the nursing home thing was anything but Republican propaganda. They came from those nursing homes--the nursing homes had to already be infected.

I was surprised that the nursing home thing didn’t cause more outrage, too. It’s true it was a trying situation and no clear idea where to put the elderly who were positive but not sick. But yeah, the solution they did use was worth investigating. At the least i hope it results in a better disaster recovery plan than they had.

An article i read in the times suggested he was “riding high” in public opinion due to his pandemic response. But those comments underrepresent how thin that veneer was. He has a reputation for being a bully. That did not go away. He did not have a strong base of support. But he let the media convince him that he did.

I'm not at all convinced the nursing home thing was anything but Republican propaganda. They came from those nursing homes--the nursing homes had to already be infected.

Not to mention that nursing homes should know how to maintain quarantined patients without spreading.

Not to mention that nursing homes should know how to maintain quarantined patients without spreading.

That "should" is very far from reality, though. Even without the major PPE shortage they were working with. I just see no reason to blame the outbreaks on the returned patients when it had to have already been there.

How Andrew Cuomo’s Exit Tarnished a Legacy and Dimmed a Dynasty - The New York Times - "For 40 years, the Cuomo name has been synonymous with Democratic power in New York. Now it could mean something else."
Andrew M. Cuomo always cared about his place in history.

And so, early in his governorship, he invited Robert Caro, the Pulitzer-prize winning biographer and historian of power, for a private audience in Albany. The pitch had been for Mr. Caro to share lessons from the legacy of Robert Moses, the master builder who ruthlessly rolled over his opponents to remake New York in the past century.

But over cookies at the Capitol, it quickly became clear that Mr. Cuomo would be doing most of the talking. For close to two hours, he spoke admiringly about Mr. Moses, outlined his own governing philosophy and regaled Mr. Caro with his ambitions to build big — overhauling bridges, airports and more. Then, the governor politely declared the meeting over.

“It was an arrogant and angering thing to do,” Mr. Caro, now 85, recalled in an interview. “To think I had given a day of my life to have him lecture me.”
He was good about the pandemic last year, or at least he was good by Trump standards. That got him a lot of appreciation back then.
It was a fall so swift that observers could be forgiven for alternating between calling it a Greek and a Shakespearean tragedy. An upscale sweater shop that a year ago had hawked “Cuomosexual” and “Cuomo for president” wares was now offering free embroidery to remove that stitching and replace it with “Believe survivors” (or any other phrase).

Mr. Cuomo will no longer equal the 12-year tenure served by his late father, whose reputation as an orator and icon of liberalism has forever shadowed his son’s career. The younger Mr. Cuomo wore a pair of his late father’s shoes for his own third inauguration, and in recent days his aspiration for a fourth term — to be the longest-serving Cuomo — evaporated.

“I love New York,” Mr. Cuomo said in his resignation speech on Tuesday. “Everything I have ever done has been motivated by that love.”

He pushed through:
  • Replacing the Tappan Zee Bridge - across the Hudson River in Westchester County a little N of NYC
  • Overhauling La Guardia Airport - in Queens NYC
  • Getting recognition of same-sex marriage
  • Gun-safety legislation
  • Timely balanced budgets
  • Phased-in $15 minimum wage
  • Moynihan Train Hall
  • Second Avenue subway - N Manhattan East Side
“Historians are going to have to be honest about the accomplishments that he notched,” said Harold Holzer, who worked for Mr. Cuomo’s father and drove with Mr. Caro to the meeting in Albany. Now the director of the Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute at Hunter College, Mr. Holzer summed up the younger Mr. Cuomo’s legacy as: “Flawed human being and a great governor.”

Shane Goldmacher on Twitter: "NEW: In 2018, Cuomo privately confided to a labor official why he didn't want Democrats in charge of the Senate pre-budget.

The Dem leader, Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins, would “give free breakfast to all Black people,” he said.

Stewart-Cousins in Black. (link)" / Twitter

and
Shane Goldmacher on Twitter: "This story is on the record from Alison Hirsh, who was then a top official at SEIU 32BJ. It was confirmed by two people that she told at the time, one of whom recalled the line verbatim.

The governor's spokesman denied he said it. (link)" / Twitter

Cuomo will never go away.

Every Republican will run against HIM in 2022.

He pushed through:
[ list]
Mr. Holzer summed up the younger Mr. Cuomo’s legacy as: “Flawed human being and a great governor.”

I don’t think the public will buy that. He pushed through some things, and blocked others. He did it with bullying and overreach, and people know that. We don’t need to appreciate someone stealing the glory for things that everyone wanted. The legislature pushed for most of these things and would have with anyone at the helm. Cuomo didn’t go around driving consensus or pursuading reluctants.

From the article, he's already done. He called it.

Huh?

Cuomo's political career has been put on hold. Maybe over.

But he is now a boogie man that every Republican will run against.

They will not run promoting their good ideas. They have none.

They will run with distortions and lies.

Like they have for the past 40 years.

Our Fight Can't End With Andrew Cuomo's Resignation by Katie Hill
As one of the youngest women ever to serve in Congress, less than a year into my career as an elected official, I was one of the public figures caught up in this as the world learned—through nonconsensually taken and leaked intimate images—about my own involvement in such a grey area: a consensual relationship with a woman who worked for me.

Nearly two years later, we have now learned, through brave survivors and a subsequent investigation by the New York Attorney General, that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo broke the law and acted in ways that we have now determined shouldn’t be tolerated. Had this happened even just five years ago, these women likely would not have come forward, and the behavior almost certainly would have been excused.

But let's be clear: Cuomo’s behavior wasn’t just tolerated by society as recently as a few years ago, it was almost expected. It was overlooked. Shrugged off. Swept under the rug. Just something we had to deal with from men, especially men in positions of power.

The fact that’s no longer the case—that it has become clear we won’t tolerate that behavior anymore, and that we’re not expected to—marks real progress.
She then noted her own resignation after a sex scandal that didn't involve anything nearly as bad.

Thinking more broadly, that may be why politicians have a reputation for lack of moral scruple. Those who are conscientious and scrupulous end up limiting their careers in Katie Hill fashion.

KH then talked about how she related to this scandal "as a woman".
It is the woman who stood paralyzed as a powerful man touched parts of her body, as if he had the right to. Me too.

It is the woman who had to push away her feelings of violation because she knew people would say she was overreacting or was a troublemaker. Me too.

It is every woman in the AG report—because I, like so many other women, have gone through most of those experiences, many times over, in nearly every job I have held throughout my career, even as a teenager.

From the article, he's already done. He called it.

Huh?

Cuomo's political career has been put on hold. Maybe over.

But he is now a boogie man that every Republican will run against.

They will not run promoting their good ideas. They have none.

They will run with distortions and lies.

Like they have for the past 40 years.

I agree; however, "distortions" ARE lies. They are just more cleverly designed lies than encountered on a day to day basis

Back
Top Bottom