• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

I'm with you on Potter but I wonder how Floyd survived so many nights of sleep if just laying down would have killed him. :rolleyes:

The least important answer to that is to remember that lots of people die of cardo-pulmonary events when just resting. The much more important point, however, is to remember that GF simply hadn't been resting when the trouble started:

a) George Floyd had downed a large quantity of Fent in his car prior to the original cops getting him out of his car...perhaps to hide the evidence.

b) GF then became highly agitated and fought cops for 15 minutes, refusing to enter or stay in the Police car. The exhausting fight ended when the Police gave up... during which time he constantly claimed he couldn't breath while fighting to stay out of the car.

c) GF was then restrained by being put to the ground. His complaints did not stop, and the rest we know.

He had a badly enlarged heart, which requires far more oxygen than normal hearts especially when exertion demands it. His two major vessels were 75 to 90 percent blocked, which means far less blood flow to a enlarged heart demanding oxygen. Fent vastly decreases heart rate and the lethal levels he took added to the heart stress. His history of BPreesure was higher than mine, when my own doctor said I was a ticking time bomb that needed immediate beta blockers.

The problem here is that every symptom Floyd had, including those starting before being put prone, are the same as someone whose breathing is seriously impaired by a physical act (assuming that it was physically impaired) ... and, even his foaming at the mouth is a symptom of a FENT overdose (his history of mouth foaming after taking drugs noted by his girlfriend in testimony).

So it's not a surprise that when the ME was asked if GF had been found in an easy chair with the same symptoms, would the subsequent medical exam show it was from a homicide...the ME said no, it would just be a drug overdose with complicating conditions.

That is one of the primary reasons I do not believe that Chauvin killed Floyd beyond a reasonable doubt. It's impossible to know. He may have, he may not have. GF's breathing may have been substantially impaired by physical force, or it may not have.

And two of my primary reasons to believe that it was Chauvin is
1) Floyd was under his care as he was handcuffed (which is already a restrain) plus three other officers were present to assist so kneeling on his back, neck, or whatever for that length of time wasn't necessary.

and

2) after Floyd became unresponsive Chauvin continued to kneel on Floyd for an additional (I'm estimating here) 3 minutes.

Now, If you may. look at your watch for 3 minutes. Someone was in need of medical attention within that time frame.

I understand the parent's frustration, and I also understand why they think she got two years because of "white women's tears". America's legal system does have a history of dealing out harsher sentences depending on how dark you are plus it's also coming from a parent who lost a child so no shit.

I think 2 years is fair because I (like the judge) really believe it was an accident. This is always going to be an issue because the community as well as the Wright family will (rightfully) not see it as justice.

Cases like this really continue to show how our justice system is messed up. Putting this woman in jail doesn't protect anyone. She should be able to pay her steep debt in a more constructive manner.

Cases like this really continue to show how our justice system is messed up. Putting this woman in jail doesn't protect anyone. She should be able to pay her steep debt in a more constructive manner.
Same. I would like to see her spend her days training and drilling officers on taser selection drills.

All day.
Every day.
For the rest of her working life.

While I agree with you, the judge did a great job of explaining why she was sentenced. If you didn't watch the sentencing, the judge explained in detail, that there were 4 reasons why a person receives a prison sentence. The one that she used to sentence Potter was retribution, which I guess is punishment for doing something wrong, even though in this case it was a careless mistake, it still ended up in a death.

I don't personally like the idea of punishing someone with jail time just because they made a terrible error, but that's what our legal system demands, and if she had not received any prison time, there probably would have been a lot more outrage from the victim's family, friends and community. There have been other decent people who received prison time for involuntary manslaughter.

Potter will have to live with the guilt that I believe she feels, from what happened when she accidentally killed Wright. Her career is over etc. But, some people want vengeance of some kind. I'm not one of those people, but I try to understand why people feel that way, and considering how racist and unjust our legal system has always been, I see where these folks are coming from and why they feel even this short sentence was unjust. I would. have preferred that Potter be given community service, or home confinement or something along those lines, but I think the judge was fantastic and did what she felt was best under the circumstances.

The US locks people up for using drugs that hurt nobody but the user, if that. That's a lot more insane to me, then giving a short sentence to someone for manslaughter. But yeah! Our legal system is messed up in many, many ways. Who is going to be able to change it?

Yeah, I hope if anything this changes sentencing for bullshit drug charges. You can't keep having this imbalance and still claim equality. That's for damn sure. I just can't in good faith hold potter responsible for the imbalances in the justice system.

I understand the parent's frustration, and I also understand why they think she got two years because of "white women's tears". America's legal system does have a history of dealing out harsher sentences depending on how dark you are plus it's also coming from a parent who lost a child so no shit.

I think 2 years is fair because I (like the judge) really believe it was an accident. This is always going to be an issue because the community as well as the Wright family will (rightfully) not see it as justice.
I do believe it was an accident. I also believe that this was NOT a mistake that should have happened. I struggle to justify the use of a taser abs I do fault Potter for allowing the trainee to pull over Wright’s car in the first place given the pandemic and the general orders not to pull over drivers fir trivial offenses, given the pandemic. I also remember that no one immediately rendered aide to Wright and that he was not alone in that car. His passenger could have been killed in only slightly different circumstances.

I am extremely grateful I am not the judge. It Potter. I would have a lot of trouble living with myself if I were Potter.

Ms Potter made a tragic mistake. She will have a felony record for the rest of her life. I don't think there is any danger of recidivism on her part. I think 2 year is a little light for this crime.

Potter is getting out next week. Time flies, but maybe not for Potter.

kim-potter-new-mug.jpg

She looks rough, but I maybe she'll take comfort in the fact that Daunte is looking much rougher by now. <puts on 🔥 retardant suit>

She made a mistake. She does not deserve to be demonized any more than St. Daunte deserves to be glorified. Esp. since he was an armed robber and we should work against gun violence. I mean, just because he uses a handgun and not an AR15 does not make him "Prince of Brooklyn Center".

She murdered someone in cold blood. That's a pretty big "mistake".
She did not "murder" anybody, much less "in cold blood". These words have meanings.
What actually happened is that Daunte fled, and she tried to deploy a taser in order to prevent him fleeing, so he could be arrested on an outstanding warrant. She simply pulled the gun instead of taser. A tragic mistake, but still a mistake. Not murder.

She shot an unarmed man in the chest. That's murder. Why should anyone care what she says she "thought" she was doing? Do you believe every excuse that every murderer comes up with to justify their crime, post facto? Thoughts and prayers don't bring back the dead. If you aren't competent to wield a firearm, but you carry one anyway, you're responsible for everything that follows. No one else is going to wipe your ass for you and tell you everything's okay after you've killed someone with your little toy.

Unless you're a cop in America.

She shot an unarmed man in the chest. That's murder. Why should anyone care what she says she "thought" she was doing? Do you believe every excuse that every murderer comes up with to justify their crime, post facto? Thoughts and prayers don't bring back the dead. If you aren't competent to wield a firearm, but you carry one anyway, you're responsible for everything that follows. No one else is going to wipe your ass for you and tell you everything's okay after you've killed someone with your little toy.

I genuinely do not think that this was murder. Definitely manslaughter. The only reason to elevate the charge to murder (and I think it is a very good reason) is that she was a police officer and SHOULD HAVE FUCKING KNOWN WHAT SHE HAD IN HER HAND. I think her sentence was too lenient. I will say that one thing that marks this as very different than say, Derek Chauvin, is that she was immediately horrified by what happened. It was obvious that was not her intention. Which argues against murder, although, as I wrote just now, the fact that she was an armed police officer meant she had an absolute duty and responsibility to know what she had in her hand before deploying it as a weapon. And they took too long to render aide--not nearly as long as in the George Floyd murder but too long.

Or Alex Baldwin.

Back
Top Bottom