• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democratic Debate #1

It was a hot mess, and not in a good way.

I realize this is SOP for politicians, but a lot of it was "thanks for that question, Chuck...now let me not answer it, and instead fall back on the talking points I have rehearsed which sort of address the general topic."

With so many candidates, it came across as early auditions for American Idol, and some of them clearly shouldn't move on to the next round. Beto crashed and burned. Gabbard didn't do herself any favors. Ryan, Delaney, DeBlasio, and Inslee should pack their bags as well. Castro did the best job of answering the "why are you here?" question. I'd give the overall "win" to Warren, with Booker coming in second.

I'm hoping round two will be better. Looking forward to Mayor Pete, who seems to be better at the "ignore the question, here's my stump speech" thing.

For most of these, I feel like Randy Jackson on the aforementioned singing show: "Yo, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg."
This appears to be a decent way to harmlessly remove the unnecessary candidates. Get us back down to a healthy pairing of about 5 to 8 and then whittle from there: Harris, Warren, Booker, Castro, Sanders, not-Biden.

I tried to watch it. I really did, but I kept falling asleep. I wasn't impressed, but maybe that's just me. I wonder how many American voters were able to watch the entire debate without losing interest. I did record it, so maybe later I'll try to watch it. I'm really an early morning person, so it could be that.....

People on MSNBC are raving about Warren, Castro and Booker, but did either of them say anything that they haven't said before? Well now that I think about it, Castro hasn't really had a chance to say much prior to last night.

10 more tonight. There are two many candidates. I can't wait until the field narrows down to a few.
I just don't care. I know who the viable candidates are. The remainder are positioning themselves for cabinet seats. Based on what I have read, Booker probably helped himself the most by reminding people, at one point in time, he was a rising star. Now it is do or don't time. Then Warren presented herself extremely well and looked like a good candidate.

At some point in the future, I do hope that the format of the debates will include 1 notable difference---that the participants would be sitting down at a lengthy table in front of an audience, instead of standing behind individual podiums. So much of the latter tends to emphasize and prioritize the theatrics of the debate. While those are (unfortunately) important in terms of political campaigns, there should be a picture that shows that candidates are not trying to be just the best entertainers out there. The Democrats will also take care of business and if that means having everyone sit in a chair and coming across as more professionally-minded, I think it would look better. I would not advocate having all DNC debates formatted that way, but to have some variety and to include that in at least one of them. It is similar to how Congressional hearings are conducted, for example, where congresspeople interview people while everybody is sitting.

I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity. Castro helped himself.

At some point in the future, I do hope that the format of the debates will include 1 notable difference---that the participants would be sitting down at a lengthy table in front of an audience, instead of standing behind individual podiums. So much of the latter tends to emphasize and prioritize the theatrics of the debate. While those are (unfortunately) important in terms of political campaigns, there should be a picture that shows that candidates are not trying to be just the best entertainers out there. The Democrats will also take care of business and if that means having everyone sit in a chair and coming across as more professionally-minded, I think it would look better. I would not advocate having all DNC debates formatted that way, but to have some variety and to include that in at least one of them. It is similar to how Congressional hearings are conducted, for example, where congresspeople interview people while everybody is sitting.

They recently have been doing the vice president debates sitting down, but can't recall any primary debates like that.

I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity. Castro helped himself.

Agree. Hate the sound of her voice, but find it worth enduring... hope she's not the nominee, as she is probably the easiest win for Trump other than maybe Mayor Pete. But if she gets the nomination, wins the election and carries the Senate, I'll be overjoyed to admit I was wrong.

I'll feel easier in advance of the election if it's Inslee, Ryan or even Sleepy Joe.

Castro was the only one to say that a broke Caitlyn Jenner has a right to a taxpayer funded abortion. Stunning and brave.

That trans abortion line needs work.

I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity.
She really should have been on today on the same stage as Biden, Bernie, Buttigieg and Harris.
There is something to be said for the undercard/kiddie table format instead of the one Dems decided on. I think are overcorrecting for 2016 and swinging too far the other way.

Castro helped himself.
Half the time I could not understand him because he was speaking Spanish. He also wants to completely decriminalize illegal border crossing, which would remove what little deterrence there is. We need more deterrence, not less. So, hard pass on him.

Castro was the only one to say that a broke Caitlyn Jenner has a right to a taxpayer funded abortion. Stunning and brave.

Where is the fetus going to gestate? Is she going to keep it in a box? </Python>

Agree. Hate the sound of her voice, but find it worth enduring... hope she's not the nominee, as she is probably the easiest win for Trump other than maybe Mayor Pete. But if she gets the nomination, wins the election and carries the Senate, I'll be overjoyed to admit I was wrong.

I'll feel easier in advance of the election if it's Inslee, Ryan or even Sleepy Joe.

I know people on forums like these tend to be old, but Jesus. You do realize that Joe is an *instant* loss, right?

To get this pulled out, we need someone who can swing the progressive Bloc. Joe "nothing will change" Biden, or as I like to call him DINO Joe, can't do that. Period. Democrats win elections through turning out the vote, and someone to the right of Obama, who is to the right of Hillary, will inspire young people... To stay home. A Biden candidacy won't just lose us the president, it'll lose us the progress of the Blue Wave in the Senate, too.

To get this pulled out, we need someone who can swing the progressive Bloc. Joe "nothing will change" Biden, or as I like to call him DINO Joe, can't do that. Period. Democrats win elections through turning out the vote, and someone to the right of Obama, who is to the right of Hillary, will inspire young people... To stay home. A Biden candidacy won't just lose us the president, it'll lose us the progress of the Blue Wave in the Senate, too.

I disagree. A big reason Hillary lost is that she lost the moderates in states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Elections are won in the middle. If you try too hard to appease the "progressive bloc", you risk looking like George McDoesn'tGovern.
348px-ElectoralCollege1972.svg.png

The chief problem with Biden is that he is pushing 80 (a problem that Bernie also has), not that he is not far left enough.

I disagree. A big reason Hillary lost is that she lost the moderates in states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Elections are won in the middle. If you try too hard to appease the "progressive bloc", you risk looking like George McDoesn'tGovern.
348px-ElectoralCollege1972.svg.png

The chief problem with Biden is that he is pushing 80 (a problem that Bernie also has), not that he is not far left enough.

Coming from someone who seems to really want another round of Drumpf?

Color me unconvinced. Republicans only win when Democrats stay home, and few Democrats under 30 are going to roll out to vote for someone who offers them nothing but more of getting bent over an oil drum.

Coming from someone who seems to really want another round of Drumpf?
I don't. I didn't vote for him the first time either.

Color me unconvinced. Republicans only win when Democrats stay home, and few Democrats under 30 are going to roll out to vote for someone who offers them nothing but more of getting bent over an oil drum.

This is not Logan's Run. Elections are not just for those under 30.

Interesting to hear from the candidates to whom I had not yet been paying attention.

I don’t understand the point of Andrew Yang’s VAT to pay for a minimum income.

Swallwell! LOL zinging Biden for saying 32 years ago that it was “time to pass the torch”

Kamala Harris puts her foot down and shames the rest for interrupting and shouting.

“America does not want to watch a food fight. They want to hear us explain how they will keep food on the table.”

Mayor Pete's doing a good job so far. Should have shaved before he came.

Maryanne Williamson is the crazy ex-girlfriend of the Democratic Party.

All of them want to cover illegals! Talk about more pull factors for illegal mass migrants!
We need more deterrence, not more inducement for illegals to come here.

This pro-illegal stance is a real bad look for Democrats. They are tripping over each other to be more pro-illegal than the next guy.

Jose: "seeking asylum for a better life". THAT'S NOT THE PURPOSE OF ASYLUM. None of the clowns on this stage is making a distinction between legitimate asylum seeking and illegal economic migrants. Unbelievable!

Again Jose: "Obama administration deported 3 million Americans". No, Jose, illegals are not Americans. They are illegals.

Also, not deporting illegals is de-facto open borders. This is insanity. They are erasing all distinction between legal and illegal immigration.

Yes, Kamala, California's "don't respect ICE detainers" policy allowed 7x felon to be released on the street to murder Kate Steinle instead of being deported.

Kamala Harris puts her foot down and shames the rest for interrupting and shouting.

“America does not want to watch a food fight. They want to hear us explain how they will keep food on the table.”

She had that in her pocket, ready. The crosstalking is out of control in this one.

If you need advice on how to watch the debate, take it from OJ.

https://twitter.com/TheRealOJ32/status/1144407744427859968

Back
Top Bottom