• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Nick Coltrain on Twitter: "After Sen. @BernieSanders stopped laughing at Jeff Bezos reportedly asking Bloomberg if consider running for president, he sarcastically praised the billionaires for their "strong grassroots," while Rep. @AOC acknowledged their class solidarity https://t.co/84VPX15R6i" / Twitter

Sanders, AOC react to Bloomberg's presidential bid - Des Moines Register

When he learned that Jeff Bezos asked Mike Bloomberg to run, BS roared with laughter and AOC jumped in.
“Of course!” she said in an interview with the Des Moines Register. “They’ve got class solidarity. The billionaires are looking out for each other. They’re willing to transcend difference and background and even politics.

"The fact that Bill Gates seems more willing to vote for Donald Trump than anyone else tells you everything you need to know about how far they’re willing to go to protect their excess, at the cost to everyday Americans.”
Then,
“Jeff Bezos, worth $150 billion, supporting Mike Bloomberg, whose worth only $50 billion, that's real class solidarity,” Sanders said with a chuckle. “I’m impressed by that grass roots movement. We on the other hand have had over a million people contribute to our campaign, in millions of individual contributions averaging $16 a piece. that's what we get from working class people. So a little bit different of an approach to grassroots.”

Friday night:
Bill Neidhardt on Twitter: "You're looking at the largest rally in Iowa of any candidate.
@BernieSanders and @AOC brought together over 2,400 people in Council Bluffs tonight. https://t.co/PuciQIKbPJ" / Twitter

yellow vest america on Twitter: "IOWA BREAKING: @AOC w/ Bernie “There’s a lot of talk about unity, but I want something better than unity. I want #Solidarity ” https://t.co/qejxZaHJBb" / Twitter

“Communism is idiocy. They want to divide up the property. Suppose they did it. It requires brains to keep money as well as to make it. In a precious little while the money would be back in the former owner’s hands and the communist would be poor again. The division would have to be remade every three years or it would do the communist no good.”

- Mark Twain

Wait. That would be dumb. None of them are boomers.
Correction, Warren is. But only one of three still makes it sound dumb.

And Tulsi is more of an Xennial anyway, not a proper Millennial (like AOC).

Last edited:
This may be a game changer. Hopefully he does decide to run and bury the present truckload of clowns and wackos such as Sanders and Warren.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-bloomberg-idUSKBN1XH2X0

But we already have an "elect me because I'm a billionaire and can buy ad time" candidate. If it's not working for Steyer, why would it work for him?

Bloomberg served as the 108th Mayor of New York City, holding office for three consecutive terms, beginning his first in 2001. Is the reason why it could work for him.

Last edited:
“Communism is idiocy. They want to divide up the property. Suppose they did it. It requires brains to keep money as well as to make it. In a precious little while the money would be back in the former owner’s hands and the communist would be poor again. The division would have to be remade every three years or it would do the communist no good.”

- Mark Twain
Nowhere to be found in Mark Twain - Wikiquote

In any case, that's just plain nonsense. If a very unequal distribution of wealth emerges, it will be different people and organizations that come out on top. Will Paris Hilton end up with all her wealth again? The Kennedy family? That's because wealth concentration depends on accidents of history, and not just inheritance. Bill Gates won't get his wealth back, because it's dependent on the first few decades of desktop computers, and that's some history that will never repeat. There's also the factor of late in life vs. early in life.

Furthermore, if one has a lot of money, one doesn't have to be supersmart to keep from going broke. All one needs to do is be careful not to spend it too fast. Noble and aristocratic families have been able to continue for centuries.

Joy Reid on Twitter: "Not an endorsement, but I can't stop watching this. Hang on let me try to stop watching it... ... Nope! Cannot. If you're gonna run, enjoy every moment." / Twitter
noting
FLORIDAGIRLforKAMALA on Twitter: "I'm just gonna keep sharing this be cause this is historic & this is special. This is a joyous black woman. This is a proud HBCU graduate. These are young black girls shining & when you see #KamalaHarris you see them. ❤️ https://t.co/Gmc86IANG9" / Twitter

TLDuryea on Twitter: "@JoyAnnReid Different angle from when she left the Rally, in case you want to watch something different 😍 https://t.co/zsUSuBBbNr" / Twitter

AOC appears to accuse Bloomberg of trying to 'purchase our political system' | Fox News
"There are folks that are trying to completely purchase our political system, running as Republicans and now tossing in their hats as Democrats in the field as well," she said.

"But what we're here to say is that in a democracy, it shouldn't matter how much money you have. What should matter is whether you vote, whether you caucus, whether you turn out. It's the numbers. It's the people. it's the movement."
A very populist sentiment.

Bernie Sanders blasts Michael Bloomberg at Iowa rally: 'You ain't gonna buy this election' | Fox News
Sanders also excoriated Bloomberg for avoiding the earliest states on the primary and caucus calendar and focusing his efforts on the states that hold nominating contests on Super Tuesday and later in 2020.

“You’re not going to get elected president by avoiding Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada," Sanders said. "Yes, we don’t have a super PAC and I’m not worth $52 billion."

Now, the Sanders campaign is fundraising off the news. An email to supporters started off this way: "Did you see the news? Mike Bloomberg is filing paperwork to run for President of the United States. Just what America needs...another billionaire using his wealth to try to buy an election."

Bernie Sanders laughs at idea Bezos urged Bloomberg to run: ‘That’s real class solidarity’ | Fox News

Boomer is a mindset.

Pray tell. What is the mindset? Those of us who were radical leftists when we were young boomers also had a stupid expression that we often used, "Never trust anyone over 30." And, those of us who were radical leftists during our youths, mostly came down to earth and realized that we can't always have everything we want. We need to take what others want into consideration. Boomers were always an extremely diverse generation when it came to politics etc. and we still are that way. We're just older and wiser now and understand the art of compromise is what is most important if you want to make progress. We also worry because the country has moved much further to the right than it was when we watched our liberal hero lose in a landslide in 1972. I would hate to see that happen again.

I never thought I'd see the day when my country moved as far to the right as it is these days. And, many of the alt right are far younger than boomers. Many of them are younger than 30. Maybe now we boomers should have a motto, "never trust anyone under thirty". :D ;)

So, younger people can use their silly OK boomer meme all they want. It makes me laugh. In fact, I've been using it on my husband all week, whenever he says something that I don't like. And, while I generally don't make fun of any generation, I did get a laugh out of a comment that Bill Maher made on his last show. "Millennials think that boomers destroyed the world and they can save it by looking at their phones." So, other than posting online, and telling the rest of us how wrong we are, what has the younger generation actually done to make the world a better place? We marched every weekend. We never stopped. I don't see that type of activism coming form the younger generations. It takes work to make change. Complaining about the older generations doesn't do a thing, but cause division. And, generations don't realize what harm they may be doing as they grow older. Hindsight is always 2020.

Can you come to terms with the fact that each generation is influenced by the things that happen during their early lifetimes? My generation grew up during the constant threat of nuclear war, the constant fear that you or your friends would be sent to a horrible war that killed about 58,000 of your peers, the civil rights movement etc. My parents' generation was influenced by the Great Depression, and WWII. Many of us had fathers who were often badly damaged from fighting in that war. We were told by our frugal parents that we deserved better than them, and some of us took that too literally. We were also told that we may never reach adulthood and would all be wiped out by nuclear war. Do you think the person who first developed a nuclear weapon had any idea what problems it would cause? Do you think the people who promoted the use of plastics had a clue as to how much damage their product would cause? Anyway, hopefully you get the picture. We are all products of the environments that influenced us as well as the genetics that made us who we are. It's insane to judge or criticize any generation of people as all generations are made up of individuals who follow different drumbeats.

But, when it comes to wisdom, you have to have gathered many years of experience before it takes hold. And, some people never learn from their experiences, and never come to terms with the fact that you can't always get what you want. Trump and Bernie are two examples of that mindset. One promised his supporters to build a wall that would be paid for by Mexico, and create a great health care plan. The other one promises free healthcare for all, paid for the government etc.. Ain't gonna happen and might give us another Trump term. I'm not against it in principle, but there are other ways of achieving UHC that are more realistic, and might even have a chance of happening.

And has he done it? Why do you think he hasn’t? Because he’s just as human as the rest, not some omnipotent savior.
You have not understood a single thing I have said about movement politics. Bernie is just the tip of the spear.

Sounds like you are advocating the destruction of the constitution and the Senate election structure. You think you can change that fast enough for Harry and June’s medical bankruptcy?
Striking and protesting are not unconstitutional, so that's a non sequitur. Nice to see more thinly veiled contempt for people who die because of money.

We both want universal access to healthcare for everyone in AMerica, as fast as possible, do we not?
NO. I do not use the weasel phrase "aCcEsS To hEaLtH CaRe," which is and always has been a Trojan horse to keep insurance companies in the game, keep means-testing as an option, keep a fully single-payer system off the table. I support UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE FOR EVERYONE, FUNDED PUBLICLY AND ACCOUNTABLE TO THE PUBLIC, including mental health, vision, and dental, and I support the only candidate who agrees with me. He doesn't agree with you.

It has grown, and it has shrunk, and it is growing again. AS they start getting themselves to the polls, it will help. But it was not big enough last time to nominate Bernie Sanders. It wasn’t yet enough to stop Trump. Wy the hell was it not enoough to stop Trump?

I get you wanted Sanders to win the primary. But he didn’t have a “large enough side” to pull it off. Why THE FUCK those people didn’t vote for Clinton - after she added Sanders’ ideas to the platform! Means they are not reliable to get you what you want. How did it work out. How did it work out? Did their behavior improve things?
This is getting tiresome. The vast, vast majority of Sanders supporters voted for Clinton, Rhea. About as much as any primary opponent votes for the eventual nominee in any election. What part of her platform did Obama fail to adopt? It doesn't matter, because Obama was not a collection of policy ideas. Neither is Sanders.

I don’t have anything against Sanders’ policies. I don’t have anything against people wanting him to be the nominee.
I only have utter disdain for the self-immolating tactic of deciding,, once your man is down, to NOT continue to fight against a known evil.
Then why are you siding with someone whose supporters did exactly that, in larger numbers compared to the ones you keep railing against? I know you own up to this later on, so please keep reading.

I voted for Clinton, so the next chunk of your ire is misplaced. However, it does demonstrate a blind spot in your politics that is shared by most Americans. Here it is. Donald Trump is not the center of the universe, and his effect on middle class American life is minuscule compared to the effect of nearly every President in history on American poverty and foreign policy. The struggling lower classes in America have no obligation to vote for anyone who they do not see as materially beneficial for their situation, and by my lights, nobody has made it to the general election with a shot of doing so since Obama. Before that, nobody since maybe Carter. Unlike you, I do not assume that everyone's political priorities are aligned around the "how dare you, sir" that fueled Clinton's run and seems to be the angle of attack adopted by liberals since then. Donald Trump is not special, not particular, not uncommonly bad, and ultimately not different from Joe Biden for half the country who does not vote for this reason.

You can substitute Pete's name in there if you want, and as time goes on, Warren is falling into the same category: technocratic reforms that rearrange the details of American imperialism abroad and boost the right metrics at home to congratulate ourselves and stop fighting. Millions of people in America, and in the lands indiscriminately shelled by smiling drones and starved by economic sanctions, do not care that Trump misspelled "hamburger" in a tweet, that he benefited from Russian interference, or that he treats women as objects. They have seen this back-and-forth culture clash between civility and brutishness since Bush and Reagan before him, and no matter who wins out in the end, they know (a) it's temporary and (b) nothing will fundamentally change for them either way. Americans in this category have every right to withhold their vote in every election until someone who acknowledges their existence enters the fray.

But for the Presidency?. You have a voting public. Sanders tried. He didn’t win the nomination. His followers could have stopped Trump and they chose not to. tried to do so in exactly the same proportions as is normal for American elections. I feel exactly the same way about Clinton supporters in 2008 who petulantly chose a guy who would choose Sarah fucking Palin and pander to her base.
Glad to see you're finally being consistent, but I fixed a minor error. Recall, again, why it mattered in 2016 and not in 2008, and recall that for all of Palin's faults, she wasn't as weak a contender as Trump, and she was second on the ticket to a well-liked Republican statesman. It wasn't "luckily...", it was the success of popular involvement in politics by demographics that don't usually care enough to do so, and which currently are lining up behind Bernie Sanders in record numbers.

You couldn't make heads or tails of my mentioning Kerry and Gore, both of whom courted the moderate liberal vote and lost to a Republican with many of Trump's worst qualities. Centrist Democrats are not that picky, and you regard that as a sign of practicality and strategic acumen because you, and they, have the luxury of thinking of elections in those terms. The other half of the country, many of whom don't vote because nobody has come close to deserving their vote in over a decade, aren't the prima donnas you paint them to be; they are uneducated, overworked, young, minority groups that see no path forward in the system they have inherited, and are apathetic about the things you claim should be their most pressing concerns. They aren't a monolithic bloc, and they don't deserve the scorn you and every frustrated liberal heaps on them.

Boomer is a mindset.

Pray tell. What is the mindset? Those of us who were radical leftists when we were young boomers also had a stupid expression that we often used, "Never trust anyone over 30." And, those of us who were radical leftists during our youths, mostly came down to earth and realized that we can't always have everything we want. We need to take what others want into consideration. Boomers were always an extremely diverse generation when it came to politics etc. and we still are that way. We're just older and wiser now and understand the art of compromise is what is most important if you want to make progress. We also worry because the country has moved much further to the right than it was when we watched our liberal hero lose in a landslide in 1972. I would hate to see that happen again.

I never thought I'd see the day when my country moved as far to the right as it is these days. And, many of the alt right are far younger than boomers. Many of them are younger than 30. Maybe now we boomers should have a motto, "never trust anyone under thirty". :D ;)

So, younger people can use their silly OK boomer meme all they want. It makes me laugh. In fact, I've been using it on my husband all week, whenever he says something that I don't like. And, while I generally don't make fun of any generation, I did get a laugh out of a comment that Bill Maher made on his last show. "Millennials think that boomers destroyed the world and they can save it by looking at their phones." So, other than posting online, and telling the rest of us how wrong we are, what has the younger generation actually done to make the world a better place? We marched every weekend. We never stopped. I don't see that type of activism coming form the younger generations. It takes work to make change. Complaining about the older generations doesn't do a thing, but cause division. And, generations don't realize what harm they may be doing as they grow older. Hindsight is always 2020.

Can you come to terms with the fact that each generation is influenced by the things that happen during their early lifetimes? My generation grew up during the constant threat of nuclear war, the constant fear that you or your friends would be sent to a horrible war that killed about 58,000 of your peers, the civil rights movement etc. My parents' generation was influenced by the Great Depression, and WWII. Many of us had fathers who were often badly damaged from fighting in that war. We were told by our frugal parents that we deserved better than them, and some of us took that too literally. We were also told that we may never reach adulthood and would all be wiped out by nuclear war. Do you think the person who first developed a nuclear weapon had any idea what problems it would cause? Do you think the people who promoted the use of plastics had a clue as to how much damage their product would cause? Anyway, hopefully you get the picture. We are all products of the environments that influenced us as well as the genetics that made us who we are. It's insane to judge or criticize any generation of people as all generations are made up of individuals who follow different drumbeats.

But, when it comes to wisdom, you have to have gathered many years of experience before it takes hold. And, some people never learn from their experiences, and never come to terms with the fact that you can't always get what you want. Trump and Bernie are two examples of that mindset. One promised his supporters to build a wall that would be paid for by Mexico, and create a great health care plan. The other one promises free healthcare for all, paid for the government etc.. Ain't gonna happen and might give us another Trump term. I'm not against it in principle, but there are other ways of achieving UHC that are more realistic, and might even have a chance of happening.

giphy.gif

Inside the 2020 campaign with the potential First Gentlemen - POLITICO - nice article on the husbands of some of the candidates: husbands of the four women and one gay man. For the most part, they keep a rather low profile, must like what many politicians' wives do.

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "THREAD on @AOC door knocking for @BernieSanders in Des Moines, Iowa:" / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "First, @AOC spoke to volunteers ahead of canvassing. “We’re in this living my room today because we know that, because this is more than just a presidential campaign. And this is more than just the caucuses. This is about what is going to happen in our lifetimes.” https://t.co/yPs1pcva5W" / Twitter
Rather melodramatic.

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "Then, @AOC started her route. https://t.co/MIPVt4WtX5" / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "The first woman @AOC spoke to was a woman who by the end of their conversation committed to caucus for @BernieSanders. “None of the candidates would be here without Bernie,” the woman told @AOC on why she supports Sanders. https://t.co/Ud0vnmNSi8" / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "At the next house, @AOC talked to a man who said he supported @BernieSanders because he wants to cancel student debt. “I was lucky to pay mine off” the man said. “There’s a lot of people that need some help and Bernie wants to help them and that’s why I’ve keys been a big fan.” * https://t.co/9U4VbjLnIX" / Twitter
It's good to see someone who paid off his debts who nevertheless wants to see others assisted in doing so. I recall AOC once stating that some people seem to have a "hazing mentality" about that issue, that others must suffer what they had suffered.

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "*the man told @AOC that his wife was at the bank and would be sad to have missed meeting her." / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "The next house @AOC went to, no one answered. https://t.co/7SjI6C1AHP" / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "While walking to the next house, @AOC was stopped by a former Dem. party chair. He said he supported [MENTION=2]Jo[/MENTION]eBiden but @BernieSanders was his second choice. He thinks M4A will “hurt us in the general.” @AOC: “If I can get at least a number 2 that’s what I’m doing here.” https://t.co/P2V2rPE1mB" / Twitter

Annie Grayer on Twitter: "*remember the house @AOC went to where she spoke to a man about student debt, but his wife was at the bank? The man brought his wife to find @AOC in the street. The woman shared how getting surgery at 21 put her in so much debt that she was forced to “give up on [her] dreams.” https://t.co/HwR3FFPFYh" / Twitter

Boomer is a mindset.

Then it is foolish to call of people of an age “boomer,” isn’t it.

In this context though, you know what it is? A Russian Troll’s or a GOP Operative’s wet dream in watching one progressive try to tear another one down.

Shakin’ myy head at you being their useful idiot. You have people ON YOUR SIDE, and you can’t keep yourself from trying to drive them away.
Talk about “stalling momentum,”
What a waste, and the RNC laughs and laughs.

Boomer is a mindset.

Pray tell. What is the mindset? Those of us who were radical leftists when we were young boomers also had a stupid expression that we often used, "Never trust anyone over 30."

Absolutely. Oh, and, “We’ll never see our social security,” and “with mortgage rates at 17% and credit cards at 30%, we will NEVER see the single digit interest rates that our parents did!” And “none of us will live to be 30 anyway, we will die from nuclear war,” and...

We get it, we get it, you don’t realize it, but we get it.
And we are ON THE PROGRESSIVE SIDE in fighting others of our generation to stop their misuse of the planet and their callous disregard for humanity.

And, those of us who were radical leftists during our youths, mostly came down to earth and realized that we can't always have everything we want.
We still want it - yes, oh for sure we do. But we realized our youthful “movement” was not able to accomplish it alone.

We need to take what others want into consideration.
Yes, find out what their fears were, show them how it can work. Make them into believers, too.

Boomers were always an extremely diverse generation when it came to politics etc. and we still are that way.
Indeed. If someone is going to dismiss all boomers with derision, they are going to dismiss a lot of allies. Maybe that was our biggest mistake in the 70s and 80s? Failing to capitalize on the support of our allies, because we were too derisive about them.

We're just older and wiser now and understand the art of compromise is what is most important if you want to make progress. We also worry because the country has moved much further to the right than it was when we watched our liberal hero lose in a landslide in 1972. I would hate to see that happen again.

We want progress. Significant, rapid progress. And we have been willing to put a lot of blood and sweat into it, and we still are.

You have not understood a single thing I have said about movement politics. Bernie is just the tip of the spear.
Sweet merciful crap, Pyramid, you think I don’t understand movement politics?

Striking and protesting are not unconstitutional, so that's a non sequitur. Nice to see more thinly veiled contempt for people who die because of money.
It’s not a non-sequitur, you just missed the point. The point is that in the senate, and in congressional apportionment due to the static number of 435, rural conservative voters still have an unfair advantage. It takes changing the constitution to change that. I am for that, in the long run, but it will be it’s own long effort and will not save lives today. So however much I might want it, and be willing to give it energy, that’s not the tool that will help people suffering today.

We both want universal access to healthcare for everyone in AMerica, as fast as possible, do we not?
NO. I do not use the weasel phrase "aCcEsS To hEaLtH CaRe,"
It is not a word used to weasel. It is a word used to describe, as you have clearly stated you understand, the people who need it most don’t care how they get their health care, as long as they get it. So if I have to wean the nation off the corporate teat with a “public option” and that allows me to get them access, then I am ALL FOR getting them access today. And we will continue the effort to replace it in parallel. My goals are:
1. Access to health care for all TODAY, even if it means a deficit - it is worth it.
2. Ultimately public health care supported by a system that values it and keeps it robust (which I do not believe is private or corporate)

You can go all internet snark if you need to, but you miss my point of saying that I want it TODAY, not 4 years from now. That’s why I say “access”.

which is and always has been a Trojan horse to keep insurance companies in the game, keep means-testing as an option, keep a fully single-payer system off the table.
Nope.
It is getting a foot in the door. I have spent years negotiating with a union to try to get the workers something that delivers. And strangely, they use the same fear argument you do to keep the members paying an exorbitant fee to the Union’s insurance coffers. To get them to even LISTEN, we had to get a foot in the door to show them how it would work.

I support UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE FOR EVERYONE, FUNDED PUBLICLY AND ACCOUNTABLE TO THE PUBLIC, including mental health, vision, and dental,
Me, too. As soon as possible. And until it is accomplished, access some other way. Because poor people can’t wait for the whole enchilada.

and I support the only candidate who agrees with me. He doesn't agree with you.
I don’t care who you support. Go ahead. You think he can do it tomorrow, or on January 22. I think he’s demonstrated that he can’t. Vote for him in the primary. And then vote for whoever wins, and if they are going to try what they won on because they feel it demonstrates what the voters will handle, then stop calling them evil for that.

This is getting tiresome. The vast, vast majority of Sanders supporters voted for Clinton, Rhea.
And enough didn’t and continued to use the rhetoric you are using to justify their action. My goal is to stop that rhetoric so we don’t make those people think that cutting off their noses to spite their faces is a reasonable position.

Obama was not a collection of policy ideas. Neither is Sanders.
To be fair, Sanders is one policy idea.
I don’t have anything against Sanders’ policies. The problem I saw with his rhetoric was his efforts to divide the progressives. If he was a grat a movement as you say, then WHY did his followers behave exactly like Clinton’s followers?

You keep claiming he’s a movement, and communes with his people - but his rhetoric in the campaign undercut his own later, tepid, message for his supporters to back Clinton in order to stop Trump. He didn’t handle his “movement” and better than Clinton did.

Which gets us back to - they are all humans, and to call one an evil corporate shill and the other some near-deified movement just doesn’t match what they did.

I don’t have anything against Sanders’ policies. I don’t have anything against people wanting him to be the nominee.
I only have utter disdain for the self-immolating tactic of deciding,, once your man is down, to NOT continue to fight against a known evil.
Then why are you siding with someone whose supporters did exactly that, in larger numbers compared to the ones you keep railing against?
“Siding with”?
I’m correcting your unsupported claims that she’s an evil shill.
I “sided with” Sanders at first. But overall, any vote that stops the GOP.

I voted for Clinton, so the next chunk of your ire is misplaced. However, it does demonstrate a blind spot in your politics that is shared by most Americans. Here it is. Donald Trump is not the center of the universe, and his effect on middle class American life is minuscule
Bullshit. That is demonstrably false. Tell that to the dreamers, the people kicked off welfare, the people who lost their homes, women who need abortions. Anyone who faces one of his “judges” in court. I do not callously disregard their outcomes.

You can substitute Pete's name in there if you want, and as time goes on, Warren is falling into the same category: technocratic reforms that rearrange the details of American imperialism abroad and boost the right metrics at home to congratulate ourselves and stop fighting.

And any one of them is better than another four years of Trump in the judiciary, the agencies and the veto pen.
You call them equal and nvite people to not stop the GOP.
That is where you and I depart. The GOP is indeed worse for poor people and marginalized people. By real and quantifiable amounts. I will not stop fighting for my ultimate progressive goals, but I will never sacrifice people by taking a privileged step back that doesn’t hurt me but kills them.

Millions of people in America, and in the lands indiscriminately shelled by smiling drones and starved by economic sanctions, do not care that Trump misspelled "hamburger" in a tweet, that he benefited from Russian interference, or that he treats women as objects. They have seen this back-and-forth culture clash between civility and brutishness since Bush and Reagan before him, and no matter who wins out in the end, they know (a) it's temporary and (b) nothing will fundamentally change for them either way. Americans in this category have every right to withhold their vote in every election until someone who acknowledges their existence enters the fray.

Yeah yeah, both sides are just as bad. Remember “don’t trust anyone over 30”?
Both sides are NOT just as bad. One side kills and kills hard.
My town just got taken over by the GOP this month in elections. They have already stated their intent. First to go: The kids summer park program where needy kids get to play in the park and get a good lunch. I’ll let them know Bernie Sanders is on the way - maybe in his second 29 years of governing.

But for the Presidency?. You have a voting public. Sanders tried. He didn’t win the nomination. His followers could have stopped Trump and they chose not to. tried to do so in exactly the same proportions as is normal for American elections. I feel exactly the same way about Clinton supporters in 2008 who petulantly chose a guy who would choose Sarah fucking Palin and pander to her base.
Glad to see you're finally being consistent, but I fixed a minor error.
Why do you keep thinking it is an acceptable argument to say, “these assholes weren’t any bigger assholes than Clinton’s assholes therefore Bernie is much better!”

Recall, again, why it mattered in 2016 and not in 2008, and recall that for all of Palin's faults, she wasn't as weak a contender as Trump, and she was second on the ticket to a well-liked Republican statesman. It wasn't "luckily...", it was the success of popular involvement in politics by demographics that don't usually care enough to do so, and which currently are lining up behind Bernie Sanders in record numbers.

Remember when those big lines carried him to victory in the primary?
Oh, wait...

Again, I don’t care if he wins, I’ll vote for him. What I am arguing against is this idea you are toting that “both sides are equally evil, except one cult hero.” No, you need a coalition, you need the party members. If you keep insulting them, they will be idiots and stay home. Why THE FUCK are you doing that?

You couldn't make heads or tails of my mentioning Kerry and Gore, both of whom courted the moderate liberal vote and lost to a Republican with many of Trump's worst qualities.
While the progressive left screeched “PURITY!” And placed their pure votes for Nader?
This is that kid screaming for candy situation again. You’re saying they SHOULD have courted the screaming left, because the moderates are smart enough to vote to stop Bush, and the screaming left is NOT smart enough to vote to stop Bush, and so, give the screaming kid the candy or we’ll wreck your democracy?”

Nader said, at the time, “Yes it will be a disaster for a lot of people if I end up getting Bush elected, but we need that disaster to wake people up.” How did that work out?

Centrist Democrats are not that picky, and you regard that as a sign of practicality and strategic acumen because you, and they, have the luxury of thinking of elections in those terms. The other half of the country, many of whom don't vote because nobody has come close to deserving their vote in over a decade, aren't the prima donnas you paint them to be; they are uneducated, overworked, young, minority groups that see no path forward in the system they have inherited, and are apathetic about the things you claim should be their most pressing concerns. They aren't a monolithic bloc, and they don't deserve the scorn you and every frustrated liberal heaps on them.

And you instead feed them with more apathy. “Both sides are just as bad,”. “They are all in the bag for corporations,” “there’s no good answer”.

I’m saying you are doing damage to the things we both care about.

We live in the land where 'no good answers', 'It's impossible' leads to incremental improvements in existing solutions. We jump the gun and deliver tractors that lasts just a couple years. They need fixing without money to accomplish the fixes. So we develop tinkers, farmers kids who become engineers, who fix the tractors go to college invent raster TV etc.

Discussing what we care about is enough. Making you mad is enough. You might prove him wrong, fix it, give him a raspberry and inspire another to do it even better.

I don't worry that old fogies are conservative and vote reliably. Every now and then their decisions for governance spark a new progressive movement that catches on and more people are included in the conversation leading to significant improvement in social culture. A Metoo overshoot results in some breakage in the glass ceiling. Whoop, whoop.

It's half full. Damnit!!!

Back
Top Bottom