• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Inveterate racist Peter King's resignation was the perfect catalyst to demonstrate the vast divide between the old Democratic party:

Also, in case there was any question, Schumer mindset = boomer mindset.

You're not qualified to claim this, of course.

Peter King is a sack of shit and always has been. Schumer is a ghoul for giving him a kind word.

- signed, Boomer

So you should be posting your mea culpa now that you know the "boomer mindset" is NOT equal to the Schumer mindset with actual boomers.

Inveterate racist Peter King's resignation was the perfect catalyst to demonstrate the vast divide between the old Democratic party:

Also, in case there was any question, Schumer mindset = boomer mindset.

You're not qualified to claim this, of course.

Peter King is a sack of shit and always has been. Schumer is a ghoul for giving him a kind word.

- signed, Boomer

So you should be posting your mea culpa now that you know the "boomer mindset" is NOT equal to the Schumer mindset with actual boomers.

It just means that you aren't displaying boomer brain in this instance. That's what I mean when I say it's a mindset and not an age thing. No disagreement.

Maybe she will be a bartender at the White House bar. About the only position she would be fully qualified for.

Aawww, poor Derec. You sound like a housewife jealous of the much more successful neighbor wife.

Andrew Yang talking about his favorite subject, Universal Basic Income or what might be called Welfare for All:

Andrew Yang Talks Universal Basic Income, Climate Change, With Undecided Voters | Off Script | NPR - YouTube
Andrew Yang's Washington Post Interview with Robert Costa | October 21st 2019 - YouTube
Andrew Yang - 2020 Candidate Forum on New Hampshire Public Radio 11-7-2019 - YouTube

He is right that we are suffering some wrenching economic changes from increasing automation, and that we will have to cope with them in some way.

Believe it or not, Bernie Sanders is relaxing - The Washington Post
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa — Sen. Bernie Sanders did something unusual the other night: He told a joke, followed by a personal story.

“People sometimes say that Alexandria and I are an odd couple, that she is so old and I am so young,” the 78-year-old candidate deadpanned about his 30-year-old introductory speaker, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.). “But that’s okay. I’m not an ageist.”

Then came the sort of biographical flourish his aides have long urged him to deliver, to little avail. Ocasio-Cortez’s family left Puerto Rico to forge a better life, Sanders said, adding that his own father “fled anti-Semitism and poverty in Poland.” He concluded: “That diversity is what makes us great.”
He's nowadays doing what his aides have long insisted on: adding humor and his personal background.
Sanders is also different in private, according to people who have spoken with him. A candidate with a reputation for sometimes stubbornly disregarding advice and assistance, Sanders is suddenly putting more faith in his brain trust, according to campaign officials, a shift his campaign manager attributes to a moment of clarity when he was hospitalized.
Interesting. Did he feel more fragile then?

Oh, I see. Well, yes, a constitutional amendment is required to allow the US government to enact universal healthcare. It's about time those who favor the Democrats realized you need to amend the constitution to allow for expanded powers.

Not what I said.

Due to the way the Senate is designed, passing a bill has to go through a process which delivers outsized influence to small states and rural, conservative voters. This is a SIGNIFICANT outsize influence. Changing that outsized influence would require a constitutional amendment, so until then we need to use other methods to get access to healthcare into the hands of the people that the rural conservative voters don’t think should have it. This means getting moderate voters to see what we mean by the benefits of access to healthcare, perhaps by an intermediate step that is not too painful or permanent, such as a public option. It is the opinion of most progressives that once people experience universal access to health care, they will embrace it. But because of all of the above, we have a very poor chance of just passing anything that leads immediately to a government-run Universal Health Care, and since the people who need it cannot afford to wait for us to unravel the detriments of the outsized legislative influence of rural conservative voters, then things like a public option are a viable path to help those people.

Sorry to be so confusing about that, hope this makes more sense.

In that case, that's a feature, not a bug. The Senate is supposed to be different than the House in structure. That way just as the small states don't dominate the large state in the House, the large states don't dominate the small states in the Senate.

Buttigieg gets kiss of death as he gains the lead in Iowa poll.

Wondered if that might happen. He's well set up to be the Comeback Kid of this election if he plays his cards right.
He’s the mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He isn’t qualified. Winning Iowa usually isn’t a great thing.

I'm not pulling for the guy, just observing.

Iowa is generally a pretty important media and fundraising feather, I don't know why you wouldn't think it important. A lot of Americans don't start paying attention to the election until after the first few caucuses have weeded out the weak.

In that case, that's a feature, not a bug. The Senate is supposed to be different than the House in structure. That way just as the small states don't dominate the large state in the House, the large states don't dominate the small states in the Senate.

No.
In the house, the small states are favored. In the Senate, the small states are favored even more. The significant disadvantage to the majority of the American people in the Senate is egregious and bad for our society. It is not a feature.

No.
In the house, the small states are favored. In the Senate, the small states are favored even more. The significant disadvantage to the majority of the American people in the Senate is egregious and bad for our society. It is not a feature.

In the House, the large states are favored. If you feel it has gotten skewed by representation numbers, then my proposal to increase the number of representatives will fix it.

I am still amazed that the first openly gay guy running for the Presidency is named booty judge. Is almost as cool as Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

In the House, the large states are favored.
How so? It depends on the small state. Small states can either have a higher population (Montana with ~900k) or smaller population (Rhode Island and Wyoming at ~500k) per district. Large states can get averaged better so they are closer to the national average of ~700k.

If you feel it has gotten skewed by representation numbers, then my proposal to increase the number of representatives will fix it.
Yes, a bigger House would make roughly equal population districts possible even for smaller states. But the House chamber would have to be much bigger if you want to double or even triple the House size.

An interesting addition would be proportional representation, and ability to have smaller parties represented. With separately elected president forming the executive, this would not result in difficulties we see in countries like Israel, Spain or even Germany (grand coalition since 2003 because since then neither left nor right block could form majority).
A proportional House would likely mean that no single party would be able to have a majority in the House (except maybe rarely) and thus you would always have a split government (no ramrodding legislation) but also no ability for a single party to block legislation either. It would mean more negotiation and deals on the house floor.

He’s the mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He isn’t qualified.
He is not as experienced as most people who are running, that's correct.
But I would say he is more qualified than say β. At least he runs a polity as an executive. And having been a naval intelligence officer is not bad either.

Winning Iowa usually isn’t a great thing.
Tell that to President Hillary who of course did not run in 2016 because she was term limited. For Democrats, winner of Iowa won the primaries going back to 2000.
The winner of Iowa of course doesn't always go on to win the nomination, but you generally have to do well ("three tickets out of Iowa" in fields with many candidates). Just ask President Giuliani.

For example in 2016 Ted Cruz won, with Trump a close second followed by Rubio. The same trio also was the top three in terms of overall primaries, with Trump winning of course.

Andrew Yang talking about his favorite subject, Universal Basic Income or what might be called Welfare for All:
Whatever one might think about UBI, at least Yang has found a unique issue that defines his campaign. Compare and contrast with somebody like Kamala Harris.

Sanders is also different in private, according to people who have spoken with him. A candidate with a reputation for sometimes stubbornly disregarding advice and assistance, Sanders is suddenly putting more faith in his brain trust, according to campaign officials, a shift his campaign manager attributes to a moment of clarity when he was hospitalized.

That might explain why he is now more open to issues of identity politics he eschewed in 2016. For example, he now wants to stop deportations and to abolish ICE and border patrol. If this is a result of his "brain trust", he needs to fire them. It's a medulla oblongata trust at most. Another brain fart by the brain trust: wanting to take military aid to Israel and give it to Gaza instead. With rockets raining down on Israel from Gaza (mostly by Islamic Jihad, a proxy for Iran), this is a particularly bad idea I don't think 2016 Bernie would have had.

Interesting. Did he feel more fragile then?

Probably. The upshot is, he is not the same man as four years ago.

Aawww, poor Derec. You sound like a housewife jealous of the much more successful neighbor wife.

Not "jealous", but baffles Sanders wants to give her a White House position when she is not even qualified for the position she lucked into now.

Back
Top Bottom