• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DERAIL - Swedish Prostitution

however unworthy and soiled and downtrodden a woman is.

Come on. How about not insulting prostitutes this way? Who's side are you on here?

You've just revealed yourself as a person who thinks being a slut is shameful and that prostitutes should feel ashamed of their job. ...
People are different. A lot of women aren't too hung up about sexual matters. There's a big polyamory trend among the young right now. This movement is full of women who, without pay, sleep around like crazy. And they claim it's empowering. I doubt they feel "soiled". So please, quit this moralistic attitude. It doesn't become an enlightened member of the human community.

You all still have some mighty romantic ideas of what a prostitute's life is like.

I think you have taken the worst case scenarios and assumed they're the norm.

And, those worse case scenarios are made worse and far more common than they need to be by Toni's attitudes and politics, which are a major cause increasing all the forms of violence and non-consensual sex that is tied to prostitution, mostly because of the illegality and slut shaming that she is promoting.
:picardfacepalm:
Get a grip, both of you! Toni was not insulting prostitutes, moralizing about sex work, or promoting slut shaming. "However unworthy and soiled and downtrodden a woman is" was obviously her description of how prostitutes are seen in the "Knight to the rescue" mythology about prostitution she was critiquing. It was not a first-person expression of her own attitude. For gods' sake, read for content, not for keywords.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/us/sex-trafficking/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge
Investigators believe a local trafficker bought the girl in question a bus ticket from Detroit to Atlanta, gave her a puppy and paid for the hotel room where she was found.
"She has one tattoo on her knee, we've seen multiple times in this area, and it's likely it's a brand from a local pimp," said Kennedy. "That's one of the new things from pimps. They put their logo on their girl. ... The tattoo is fresh, which tells me that he just got his hands on her."

Investigators believe a local trafficker bought the girl in question a bus ticket from Detroit to Atlanta, gave her a puppy and paid for the hotel room where she was found.
"She has one tattoo on her knee, we've seen multiple times in this area, and it's likely it's a brand from a local pimp," said Kennedy. "That's one of the new things from pimps. They put their logo on their girl. ... The tattoo is fresh, which tells me that he just got his hands on her."

Nobody is denying that there are some bad actors and actual human trafficking.
However, how does that justify the government persecuting consenting adults? And since sex work is illegal bad actors are attracted to the business. Just like Al Capone was involved in alcohol when that was illegal.

Also, CNN is unfortunately firmly on the side against legalization of sex work. So they peddle these kinds of stories and only these kind of stories.

P.S.: Should we outlaw all industries where there are instances of abuse, involuntary servitude etc.? And if not, why should such draconian response be limited to the sex industry only?

I still think legalising prostitution will make it easier to find and prosecute these kinds of pimps.

I still think legalising prostitution will make it easier to find and prosecute these kinds of pimps.

Likewise. Free up the resources to hunt the real problems. Also, if it's legal you can recruit the johns to report things that look wrong.

Ya, they should start a government program to pay guys $200 per hour to check if the woman they're banging is a sex slave.

Likewise. Free up the resources to hunt the real problems. Also, if it's legal you can recruit the johns to report things that look wrong.

Ya, they should start a government program to pay guys $200 per hour to check if the woman they're banging is a sex slave.

Make the john share in the guilt if he ignores indications that she might be a slave.

Back
Top Bottom