• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis signs bill requiring FL students, professors to register political views with state

Is Desantis emperor of Florida? How does he have the power to do this? Never heard about a governor firing locally elected officials like this or that prosector earlier. Is this done in other states?

More anti-democratic stuff from DeathSantis: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article264956934.html

School board won't do what you want? Suspend them and appoint replacements.
Why do you call that anti-democratic? There's nothing in the definition of democracy that specifies what level of hierarchy it operates at, i.e., how big the group of voters who control an issue is. If your city says you can't leave your pickup on cinder blocks in your front yard for a year, is that undemocratic because it wasn't decided by vote of the people living in your house? In a democracy the voters can decide which things they decide collectively and which things they leave up to the discretion of subsets of themselves.

Can Biden suspend DeathSantis and appoint a sane replacement?
No. Florida is sovereign; Broward County is not sovereign. Counties are creations of states. The United States of America is a creation of states. Welcome to federalism.

Is Desantis emperor of Florida? How does he have the power to do this?
Most likely, there's a state law authorizing him to. If there isn't then some state judge will no doubt issue an injunction against him by and by.

Never heard about a governor firing locally elected officials like this or that prosector earlier. Is this done in other states?
State takeovers of local government functions happen all the time.

Is Desantis emperor of Florida? How does he have the power to do this? Never heard about a governor firing locally elected officials like this or that prosector earlier. Is this done in other states?
It was done in Michigan and led directly to the Flint water crisis.

Florida is a especially salient place to bring these facts up, in fact, as they themselves were not "the colonies" until fairly late in the story nor therefore probably considered as part of that 4%.

It all sounds like cherry-picking statistics to support a narrative to me. Not merely for use of the word "only" prior to "4%" but because of the context of the Founding Fathers being against slavery and for chosen inclusion of only British North America US statistics. If someone had an opposite ideology, they might instead have a context of how evil America is and have some statistic they cite such as "by 1850, an astonishing 50% of all slaves in the western hemisphere were in the United States." Someone trying to defend them could say, "yes, but that's good to know" and list some of the same reasons as in the 4% case, but that's really taking either chosen statistic out of its presented context by the ideological groups.

Just a thought. If in Florida, college professors have to legally declare their political leanings, will that be public? Could progressive young students use that information to boycott professors that they find politically obnoxious? Could progressive young generation Zs freeze out conservative professors? Leading to ideological segregation in colleges, the opposite of what DeSantis and other GOP whackjobs are claiming they want to achieve? Ideological diversity? Could this lead to progressive students online lists of reactionary professors to avoid in Florida?

Is Desantis emperor of Florida? How does he have the power to do this?
Most likely, there's a state law authorizing him to. If there isn't then some state judge will no doubt issue an injunction against him by and by.

Never heard about a governor firing locally elected officials like this or that prosector earlier. Is this done in other states?
State takeovers of local government functions happen all the time.

That's talking about emergency takeovers for financial crises, this is different. I looked it up and the Florida constitution does give governors this power to suspend county officials, but it has almost always been used on officials who've been criminally indicted. The last 3 governors before Desantis ordered removal of 45 officials, but only 2 of them had not been criminally charged. Of Desantis's 15 removals so far, 8 have been without criminal charges. Warren's suspension is even more aberrant, since it was for merely signing onto a pledge to not to prosecute certain crimes, not for any actual official act of prosecutorial discretion.

I was only able to find 5 other states where governors have similar powers over elected officials, but it seems it's almost never used. e.g., NY has such power, but it was last used in 1936. Delaware has it but it's unclear if it has ever been used.

More anti-democratic stuff from DeathSantis: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article264956934.html

School board won't do what you want? Suspend them and appoint replacements.
Why do you call that anti-democratic? There's nothing in the definition of democracy that specifies what level of hierarchy it operates at, i.e., how big the group of voters who control an issue is. If your city says you can't leave your pickup on cinder blocks in your front yard for a year, is that undemocratic because it wasn't decided by vote of the people living in your house? In a democracy the voters can decide which things they decide collectively and which things they leave up to the discretion of subsets of themselves.

I was calling simply booting out elected officials and replacing them as anti-democratic. Normally you only get rid of elected officials by recall elections or them resigning or dying.

I was calling simply booting out elected officials and replacing them as anti-democratic. Normally you only get rid of elected officials by recall elections or them resigning or dying.
I get that; my point was that Florida is a democracy and what happens in Broward County is up to all the people of Florida to decide. Floridians elected DeSantis to a job that comes with the authority to boot out local officials. If the people of Florida want counties to have more autonomy than that, they're free to vote for state legislators who will pass a law to reduce the governor's authority over local government. So if the governor tries to simply boot out a state judge or a legislator, that would be anti-democratic; but doing it to a local official is just democracy in action. You and I may think what DeSantis did stinks, but it's up to Floridians to decide whether that's how they want their state to operate.

Andrew Warren is the duly elected State Attorney for Florida’s 13th Judicial Circuit in Hillsborough County/Tampa, FL. Elected in 2016 and re-elected in 2020, Andrew Warren’s time in office has been defined by common-sense criminal justice reforms that prioritize public safety, fairness, and justice through an evidence-based, problem-solving approach.

On August 4, 2022, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis blindsided Andrew Warren and the Tampa Bay community by unilaterally suspending Andrew from office. Claims made by DeSantis include that Andrew declined to prosecute cases related to an unconstitutional abortion ban and gender affirming healthcare laws that do not currently exist in Florida. Andrew has never had a case on these issues come before him. He simply exercised his right to speak out against them.

Ron DeSantis has nullified the votes of Hillsborough County residents by throwing out the results of the two fair and free elections that Andrew won to serve as State Attorney. This is DeSantis’ latest violation of the constitutional rights of Floridians to pursue his obsession with running for president. He has supported punitive measures against Florida businesses that dare speak out against his radical agenda, signed laws limiting free speech in Florida schools, and now is removing elected officials on baseless, political grounds.

Andrew filed suit in federal court to get his job back and to protect the rights of Floridians to have their votes count.

We must fight back now against Ron DeSantis’ abuse of power. If his attempt to overturn an election is not challenged, it would threaten the integrity and outcome of democracy throughout the state. The danger posed cannot be overstated. DeSantis cannot be allowed to throw out election results and nullify the people’s vote.

I get that; my point was that Florida is a democracy and what happens in Broward County is up to all the people of Florida to decide. Floridians elected DeSantis to a job that comes with the authority to boot out local officials. If the people of Florida want counties to have more autonomy than that, they're free to vote for state legislators who will pass a law to reduce the governor's authority over local government. So if the governor tries to simply boot out a state judge or a legislator, that would be anti-democratic; but doing it to a local official is just democracy in action. You and I may think what DeSantis did stinks, but it's up to Floridians to decide whether that's how they want their state to operate.
Given the County system that most states follow, the Governor is free to do to local official whatever the state legislature will allow him to do. Some states, such as NC, have reduced the power of the governor when a Democratic governor has been elected in a state where the legislature is dominated by Republicans, even if Republicans do not represent the majority of the states voters

Florida is a representative democracy wherein only two political parties have any plausible path to power, and as neither party has a platform that includes the removal of gubernatorial authority in this situation, the people of Florida couldn't decide to prevent it, even if an overwhelming majority of them wanted to do so.

In party political representative democracies, it's not only possible but commonplace for widely popular measures to be blocked from implementation by the leaders of the electable political parties, while minor parties that espouse those measures remain unelectable due to their simultaneous espousal of highly unpopular, but otherwise unrelated, measures.

What happens in Broward County is decided by a minuscule subset of Floridians, and "the people of Florida" assuredly do NOT get asked to decide, nor are they permitted to do so.

Where this disenfranchisement is offset (in part) by devolving the decision to just the people of Broward County, it's not unreasonable to be wary of attempts to bypass that devolution.

I get that; my point was that Florida is a democracy and what happens in Broward County is up to all the people of Florida to decide. ...
Florida is a representative democracy wherein only two political parties have any plausible path to power, and as neither party has a platform that includes the removal of gubernatorial authority in this situation, the people of Florida couldn't decide to prevent it, even if an overwhelming majority of them wanted to do so. ...
What happens in Broward County is decided by a minuscule subset of Floridians, and "the people of Florida" assuredly do NOT get asked to decide, nor are they permitted to do so. ...
Florida has citizen initiatives. Collect enough signatures and your proposal goes on the ballot. Get enough votes and the Florida Constitution is amended.

Public schools have no legitimate case for treating it as a fact.
It's a fact that public schools aren't teaching the "white people are bad" doctrine (I call it that because CRT doesn't do that).
How does that follow? People keep assuring us that public schools aren't teaching CRT. Not teaching CRT hardly stops a teacher from teaching "white people are bad". Some folks were spreading the "white people are bad" meme decades before CRT was invented. Centuries, going by the "White man speak with forked tongue." trope.

CRT if at all being taught is done so in private "higher education" facilities.
People make that argument a lot. I don't see why they think this fact is pertinent. Among those higher education facilities where CRT is taught are ones that teach students how to become teachers. It's not as though what future teachers learn in college will have no impact on what and how they end up teaching to grade-school pupils.

Also, I disagree with your "we" vs "they" argument. There is no blanket we or they.
Yes, that's what I said: "But who we should identify with is not the sort of thing history can tell us." Who "we" is is a matter of viewpoint, not a matter of fact. My "we" is different from Elixir's "we". He can identify with people who likely were in one way or another involved in slavery if he wants because they're his ancestors ; I can identify with abolitionists if I want even though they're not my ancestors because I think like them. (I doubt my own antebellum ancestors had an opinion about it one way or the other, since they were subsistence farmers in backwater countries and probably never heard of America until their grandchildren started buying steerage tickets.) So I'm not grokking what you perceive us to be disagreeing about.

What I mean by this is, there were plenty of white people against slavery who helped throughout the civil rights movement. White people today have a right to say "we" if they identify with those brave white people in the past that were against slavery. White people who are ok with slavery today (or discrimination in general) can also rightfully say "we" if they identify with (for example) the Confederate States of America.
Yes, that's how I see it too.

When talking history "they" (which is how public schools teach it) is obviously denoting people in the past.
Well, that's how public schools ought to teach it. How they actually teach it surely varies from teacher to teacher.

What I see some white people doing is taking that "they" and then screaming "we aren't they!" out of nowhere as if responding to some sort of institutionalized proclamation to the contrary.
When Ms. Segal reads the 4% figure in the new curriculum and the first place her mind goes is "Which means we're not that bad.", it's a red-flag suggesting that she thinks like Elixir -- that to her, "we" is she and her fellow ethnic Europeans, so she thinks, yes, we were that bad, we owned "three darkies per person". Since she seems to feel she's being told to teach her pupils it means we're not that bad, that looks to me like evidence that communicating to pupils her point of view about who "we" are is something she does. So it doesn't need to be an institutionalized proclamation to the contrary in order to be teaching ideology instead of facts. A noninstitutionalized, spontaneous, one-progressive-teacher-at-a-time proclamation to the contrary is indoctrination too.

I can't speak for other white people who are screaming "we aren't they!". But the rabid pushback happened right after Covid hit, and kids stopped going to classrooms, and started getting taught Zoom lessons, which meant Mom for the first time had a front-row seat to hear what the teacher was saying to her kid. So I'm skeptical of the hypothesis that screaming "we aren't they!" is out of nowhere.

It's a fact that public schools aren't teaching the "white people are bad" doctrine (I call it that because CRT doesn't do that).
How does that follow? People keep assuring us that public schools aren't teaching CRT. Not teaching CRT hardly stops a teacher from teaching "white people are bad". Some folks were spreading the "white people are bad" meme decades before CRT was invented. Centuries, going by the "White man speak with forked tongue." trope.
Okay, but how does it follow that because you feel it is possible something is occurring that means it is occurring?
When Ms. Segal reads the 4% figure in the new curriculum and the first place her mind goes is "Which means we're not that bad.", it's a red-flag suggesting that she thinks like Elixir -- that to her, "we" is she and her fellow ethnic Europeans, so she thinks, yes, we were that bad, we owned "three darkies per person".
Did it occur to you that is common for people to use "we" to mean their country or did you just jump to the your ideologically comfortable conclusions?

Many of my posts can rightfully be considered guilty of pushing the "White man speaks with forked tongue" trope :p but that doesn't mean it's part of a school curriculum and/or is state-sanctioned discrimination. The same applies to teachers who cross the line. The US constitution and (I presume every) state constitution already had protections in place against that. What we have in Florida is damagingly idiotic at best & obstruction to progress at worst. Because again, CRT is not being taught in public schools while the amendments are affecting what has been getting taught in schools (which DeSantis' constituents don't seem to have had a problem with).

Personally, I wouldn't mind all this anti-woke legislation if it were being applied equally. There are plenty of examples of woke shit that benefit non-brown folks being taught in school.

Edit: Yes I plan to share some examples. I'm at work right now.

How does that follow? People keep assuring us that public schools aren't teaching CRT.
That's okay, no one has demonstrated CRT is being taught at public schools.
Not teaching CRT hardly stops a teacher from teaching "white people are bad".
No, it doesn't. Of course, the number of cases of teachers teaching "white people are bad" seems quite trite to be alarmed that it is widespread.
CRT if at all being taught is done so in private "higher education" facilities.
People make that argument a lot. I don't see why they think this fact is pertinent.
It'd imply that this is the venue where CRT is discussed and addressed, as part of a curriculum that involved a ton of contextual education... and not in public grade school, being taught along side with Columbus bumped into the Carribean in 1492.
Among those higher education facilities where CRT is taught are ones that teach students how to become teachers.
Talking law school here and a specialized field, not Masters level education degrees or even Bachelor degrees.

A: CRT!
B: But CRT is a niche level law school subject.
A: But teachers can still teach anti-white stuff.
B: Where are teachers doing that?
A: Are you saying no teacher does this?
B: *gives up*

So we go from CRT being taught in public school to implied anti-white racism having to be conceded to being taught by someone somewhere in America. The typical partisan accusation against the public school system... a massively vague and wholly uncited claim of wrong doing that we are expected to accept.

Edit: Yes I plan to share some examples. I'm at work right now.
Ok I have to admit I can't find anything from previous school years. My kids tossed/deleted everything. But I'll keep y'all posted. :p

Edit: depending on what they get this year.

The point is he was clearly acting to thwart the will of the people rather than remedy a problem. Hence, anti-democratic. Being legal doesn't change that.

Back
Top Bottom