• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dictator DeSantis?

They CAN leave. They are not yet to that point, but they absolutely can.
If they're losing the corrupt deal that gave them so much unnatural license in the first place is being rescinded, why not? The infrastructure of the park could probably use an update, anyway. This isn't really a country that is kind to "legacies", much though we talk them up when asked; we're always sad when they go extinct, but our dollars and labor are always aimed at the newest, best, and biggest.
Honestly, it will be an enormous tragedy.

It's so much deeper than sadness, and it will never fade.

If they're losing the corrupt deal that gave them so much unnatural license in the first place is being rescinded, why not? The infrastructure of the park could probably use an update, anyway. This isn't really a country that is kind to "legacies", much though we talk them up when asked; we're always sad when they go extinct, but our dollars and labor are always aimed at the newest, best, and biggest.

The only effect on the actual park this has is now Disney has to file for permits. Before they were able to build whenever they wanted granted it passed inspection. The only real effect this has is on Reed Creek district which is a housing and shopping area with not enough residences to tax in order to cover the costs of the county policing it, providing fire stations & road maintenance, as well as other infrastructure related shit.

It's essentially like Walmart having to give up its parking lot. Now they don't have to pay to keep it clean, properly marked, and without potholes; the county does. Parking lots cost money they don't earn money on the corporate books (it's an expense) Reedy Creek to Disney was an expense. It will be an expense to Both Orange (mine) & Osceola county now. Way to go Desantis, thanks for winning the who has & is the bigger dick game.

The only effect on the actual park this has is now Disney has to file for permits. Before they were able to build whenever they wanted granted it passed inspection. The only real effect this has is on Reed Creek district which is a housing and shopping area with not enough residences to tax in order to cover the costs of the county policing it, providing fire stations & road maintenance, as well as other infrastructure related shit.

It's essentially like Walmart having to give up its parking lot. Now they don't have to pay to keep it clean, properly marked, and without potholes; the county does. Parking lots cost money they don't earn money on the corporate books (it's an expense) Reedy Creek to Disney was an expense. It will be an expense to Both Orange (mine) & Osceola county now. Way to go Desantis, thanks for winning the who has & is the bigger dick game.
That's the thing. They won't spare the expense to keep Reedy Creek operating. They wrested power over the parking lot and now they are going to use the condition of the parking lot as leverage.

And let's not forget the police force.

Imagine DeSantis's thuggery "policing" Disney.

It's a quiet, vicious threat: "That's a nice park you have there. It would be a shame if something happens to it."

Better to not have to worry about that and just rebuild in Georgia.

That's the thing. They won't spare the expense to keep Reedy Creek operating. They wrested power over the parking lot and now they are going to use the condition of the parking lot as leverage.

It's a quiet, vicious threat: "That's a nice park you have there. It would be a shame if something happens to it."

That's not at all how this works. Reedy Creek is not a theme park. Reedy Creek is a district. The parks are still private property with Disney's own private security. Sure they may look like and act like actual police officers but they are private employees. That won't change. The area surrounding Disney's parks is what the Reed Creek Improvement District (AKA Special Status) is about not the parks themselves. The only effect it really has on the parks is processing building permits because Disney essentially submitted permit applications to itself using the Reedy Creek (special) government.

But yeah Disantis can send police officers to Disney if he wants, I'm sure they'd have a good time there. Taxpayers like myself wouldn't be too happy about that pointless expense though.

That's not at all how this works. Reedy Creek is not a theme park. Reedy Creek is a district. The parks are still private property with Disney's own private security. Sure they may look like and act like actual police officers but they are private employees. That won't change. The area surrounding Disney's parks is what the Reed Creek Improvement District (AKA Special Status) is about not the parks themselves. The only effect it really has on the parks is processing building permits because Disney essentially submitted permit applications to itself using the Reedy Creek (special) government.

But yeah Disantis can send police officers to Disney if he wants, I'm sure they'd have a good time there. Taxpayers like myself wouldn't be too happy about that pointless expense though.
That's the thing: they ran "private security" as their police force last I knew, last I saw with my own eyes. I was so confused why, HOW actual police officers with real badges, not security personnel, why Disney police cars, could possibly exist, though I saw with my own eyes. It was an actual police force. I was legitimately confused how they managed that until I learned about how their district was set up.

They run the fire department too. RAN. Because they wanted to have immediate, authoritative, interested public safety utilities guaranteed to be capable of supporting the volume of the parks.

That's the only way that the sheer amount of response, discretion, and support would be guaranteed.

I mean, they do have security officers as well, but they also have Disney police.

HAD.

Look, I don't think Disney is my ally. But this is one of the dumbest things Florida state can do. Disney won't be paying much more taxes than they already are but now Florida State has to come out of its pocket. Not to mention all the Reedy Creek special government workers that will file for unemployment. :ROFLMAO:

That's the thing: they ran "private security" as their police force last I knew, last I saw with my own eyes. I was so confused why, HOW actual police officers with real badges, not security personnel, why Disney police cars, could possibly exist, though I saw with my own eyes. It was an actual police force. I was legitimately confused how they managed that until I learned about how their district was set up.

They run the fire department too. RAN. Because they wanted to have immediate, authoritative, interested public safety utilities guaranteed to be capable of supporting the volume of the parks.

That's the only way that the sheer amount of response, discretion, and support would be guaranteed.

I mean, they do have security officers as well, but they also have Disney police.

HAD.

Some clarity. For real security concerns, the local (actual) police were contracted. Meaning Disney covered all costs of the actual police service needed at and around the park. With the special status gone they don't have to pay for that service anymore & still get it because it would be illegal for Desantis to deny them that service.

Edit: This does not mean that Disney and the State of Florida won't renew/maintain these contracts after ReCxit (Reedy Creek Exit). It's just not in Disney's interest to now that Reedy Creek is no longer their responsibility to run & they aren't paying themselves taxes from Reedy Creek to help cover the costs (at a net loss mind you).

Last edited:

Yeah, it'd be a shame... especially if Disney moved everything but the park out of the state.

Disney ain't going anywhere even Desantis knows that. What I see happening is this bullshit political move being reversed shortly after the election.

Disney ain't going anywhere even Desantis knows that. What I see happening is this bullshit political move being reversed shortly after the election.
You keep saying this is political. This was a hyper-partisan / fascist maneuver... and it is the direction the nation is heading.

You keep saying this is political. This was a hyper-partisan / fascist maneuver... and it is the direction the nation is heading.

Yes, it's fascist because it was admittedly (by Desantis) a response to Disney siding with their customers and workers. This is despite the debate on whether or not Disney should have special status going on since conception. It is also loaded with bullshit politics which I should be able to talk about without being perceived as not seeing fascism.

Yes, it's fascist because it was admittedly (by Desantis) a response to Disney siding with their customers and workers. This is despite the debate on whether or not Disney should have special status going on since conception. It is also loaded with bullshit politics which I should be able to talk about without being perceived as not seeing fascism.
Desantis is Mussolini with a brain... or Hitler without the ethnic cleansing ideas. This isn't just "politics". It is the end of our democracy.

Disney's status has existed for a long time, and in general, managed it. That Desantis could so arbitrarily reverse it, because Disney said something about a policy AFTER the fact? Florida is being run like a dictatorship. And other purple states are following behind, like Ohio.

Am I supposed to put the word fascist in every one of my posts? What am I missing here?

Am I supposed to put the word fascist in every one of my posts? What am I missing here?
I dunno man, I feel you.

I don't like the fact that Disney ran roughshod as long as they have past oversight and tax burdens.

The fact a real tax relationship funding police went unrealized is the core of this problem.

The issue is not the public taking back that which belongs to the public, but the fact that doing so now, in this way, is a targeted attack on a business, because they have the continuing need and now lack the mechanism to properly fund response at the prior volume.

Before, Disney just directly paid for all of it. Now, that has to be soaked by a municipal budget structure that has no leverage to actually create a tax channel back to Disney for funding. So in this vacuum, the police lose their budget to actually respond to the parks, and the parks are left in a lurch without them.

And then also remember, this goes for fire response, too.

I would have liked to see a taxation channel created, instead.

Even so, having a special case of direct municipal funding from the primary business interest is not so bad when that business interest is the entirety of the municipality. Stricter oversight could absolutely help!

This whole thing though, it's taking the oven and dryer off of 220 and trying to run them on a single shared 110 outlet with no breaker.

The new source just cannot handle the load, and something's gonna get hot... And it's neither the clothing nor the food .

I don't like the fact that Disney ran roughshod as long as they have past oversight and tax burdens.

Not sure what you mean here, it was a give-and-take relationship between Florida State and Disney with both benefiting from it.

The fact a real tax relationship funding police went unrealized is the core of this problem.
To my knowledge, Disney covered all of both Orange and Osceola county's expenses for all services provided to Disney. There really isn't much else that could be done unless a special tax is implemented which to my understanding would be illegal.

The issue is not the public taking back that which belongs to the public, but the fact that doing so now, in this way, is a targeted attack on a business, because they have the continuing need and now lack the mechanism to properly fund response at the prior volume.

Dead on. Yes, it's fascist as fuck, yes the state has the right to govern over Reedy Creek & yes my county (Orange) and Osceola county will be stuck holding the bag.

Before, Disney just directly paid for all of it. Now, that has to be soaked by a municipal budget structure that has no leverage to actually create a tax channel back to Disney for funding. So in this vacuum, the police lose their budget to actually respond to the parks, and the parks are left in a lurch without them.

Again right on. On the books, Disney was actually soaking up the costs since they have a budget (from the parks and other services) to offset the net loss that Reedy Creek is with the purpose of using Reedy Creek to fuction as a governent. If this dissolvent goes through (which I doubt it will), I would hope that both Osceola & Orange County will grandfather in the Employees like how corporate mergers are done. Regrettably with the restriction that only US Citizens can work government Jobs that may not be the case for every Reedy Creek district employee since they didn't have that restriction. Some legal immigrants will be out of a job.

And then also remember, this goes for fire response, too.

Yup

I would have liked to see a taxation channel created, instead.

That would be a special tax which again I believe would be illegal.

Even so, having a special case of direct municipal funding from the primary business interest is not so bad when that business interest is the entirety of the municipality. Stricter oversight could absolutely help!

I agree with the first part but having personally dealt with Disney's permitting & inspections I'd be lying if I said they were less strict than Orange County's permit and inspections.

This whole thing though, it's taking the oven and dryer off of 220 and trying to run them on a single shared 110 outlet with no breaker.

The new source just cannot handle the load, and something's gonna get hot... And it's neither the clothing nor the food .

I agree.

something's gonna get hot... And it's neither the clothing nor the food .
Apparently you’ve never had to wear a mouse suit for hours in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity.
Well, I didn't bring that up because at least Disney still keeps control of medical infrastructure and dispatch for the parks, since medical infrastructure in the US remains largely private.

I agree with the first part but having personally dealt with Disney's permitting & inspections I'd be lying if I said they were less strict
I get that. Still, having a second layer of inspections wouldn't hurt, excepting of course the fact that this is Florida and they would totally use the leverage to squeeze Disney.

It's all just a massive clusterfuck.

There's no real way to guarantee a municipal budget for the park's municipal needs without letting the park just take over as the municipal government.

And for what it's worth Disney is so caught up in their image that they cannot afford to let slip the budget for those things to the surrounding communities. They are on the hook as much as ever to make good on being good neighbors.

Their neighbors? Apparently not so much.

Back
Top Bottom