• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dictator DeSantis?

What do the bondholders do when their debtor ceases to exist?

The new owner assumes all debts/liens attached to the property. That's why buyers usually require that all previous obligations tied to properties get absolved before closing even any open building permits. By default, anything open and/or unpaid is a lien. With it being the state government taking over, it gets sketchy because you can't file a lien on public property so Florida state would have to pay upfront or drag it through courts and pay more.

Edit: I'm talking out of my ass yall. I have no idea if that's how it works but it sounds right. ;)

What I find interesting is how those who allegedly cry out for freedom, seem to have no problem with usurping of free speech, as long as it is fascists conservatives that are restricting speech.

Finally we see a win win situation where everyone should be pleased and happy! The democrats think corporations should always be regulated and pay more taxes and DeSantis has made sure that happens for them.
What insipid wrong-headed gibberish! How can you expect people to read your posts with respect when you need to indulge in such drivel?

Florida has a strange bit of civil law which allows a corporation which owns enough land to assume some government power over their property. It gets complicated, but the corporation pays an assessment to the local government that would have jurisdiction. In the case of Disney, this was $163 million a year.
What DeSantes did was dissolve Disney's special district. This also eliminates Disney's $163 million obligation. Right now, the local governments are trying to figure out how they are going to make up a sudden $163 million shortfall.
Furthermore the special district has issued $1 billion of outstanding bonds. What do the bondholders do when their debtor ceases to exist? (Disney has no obligation to redeem.)
Apparently the Florida legislature was in such a hurry to pass this bill they bypassed the process which checks for constitutional legality and it effect on revenue. Maybe Florida doesn't have that kind of process, but the US Congress and most other state legislatures do, just so they can afford debacles such as this.

Basically, the Florida legislature passed a law which declared a state contract to be invalid. This is really no different than if they appropriated money to buy someone's property, then after taking possession passed a bill declaring they weren't going to pay.

This can be encapsulated by Bron's observation, "You know they're crazy, what made you think they're smart?"

My street nigga senses are going off. I feel a derail comming.
1651246504779.png

This legislation will be repealed shortly after the upcoming election.

That is exactly my prediction. I say during this Christmas season the news bobbleheads will be talking about Disney retaining its status and end the segment with a cheerful Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

What I find interesting is how those who allegedly cry out for freedom, seem to have no problem with usurping of free speech, as long as it is fascists conservatives that are restricting speech.
What I find interesting is how those who allegedly cry out against rich billionaire multinational corporations seem to be so concerned about the welfare of just this particular (Disney) giant.

I haven't got a particularly firm opinion because I don't know enough about foreign places like Florida.

On the one hand, I've always been under the impression that Disney(a huge and predatory corporation) bribed their way into a sweet deal with the Florida government. On the other hand, Disney undeniably attracts truck loads of tourist revenue to the state.

All I care about is the question, "Is this in the best interests of the people in Florida?". It doesn't seem that way, but I'm in no position to try to unscramble that egg.
Tom

"Is this in the best interests of the people in Florida?"

I can only speak for myself. No, it's not in my best interest. I will also add that Disney's special status was not a hot topic in Florida until Desantis did the fascist boogie. It's still not a hot topic beyond the news forcing it down people's throats.

What I find interesting is how those who allegedly cry out against rich billionaire multinational corporations seem to be so concerned about the welfare of just this particular (Disney) giant.
My concern is not about Disney's welfare. It's about the piqued action of Florida's governor, which is clearly borne of ideological grounds, ill thought out and economically injurious to the state he is supposed to serve. I said as much in this post and in that one I explicitly stated that Disney will be OK.

But perhaps you can provide links to where those who "allegedly (allegedly?) cry out against rich billionaire multinational corporations seem to be so concerned about the welfare of just this particular (Disney) giant".

What I find interesting is how a grown man, literate enough to post on a bulletin board, can completely mistake others' sentiments.

I see no concern about the welfare of Disney Corp. (Just the opposite in fact: some are rooting for Disney to waste billions pulling out of Florida in spite.)

The theme of the thread is the stupidity and hypocrisy of YOUR man, Ron DeSantis. (This is Vonse's cue to complain that DeSantis is not "his man"; that Vonse is aligned with a more intelligent branch of QOPAnon, perhaps MTG or Tucker Carlson or whoever.)

"Is this in the best interests of the people in Florida?"

I can only speak for myself. No, it's not in my best interest. I will also add that Disney's special status was not a hot topic in Florida until Desantis did the fascist boogie. It's still not a hot topic beyond the news forcing it down people's throats.
This is the sort of thing that makes it so complex.
If you're in a county that gets stuck with a big bill and have your tax rates raised that's a huge downside, for you. But people a county over from you can keep selling meals and lodging and gas to tourists without much impact.

Most Floridians probably won't notice an appreciable hit, personally. Especially not in the immediate time frame, between now and the election. How many will care about the long term effects more than "Desantis is standing up for moral decency in an increasingly immoral world!".
Tom

That's the state of affairs in politics. I say this because even good policies that negatively impact people for the "right" reasons can honestly be said by those affected negatively to be a bad idea. I can disagree with them on their merits but I wouldn't disagree that said good policies don't impact some people negatively. Instead of decrying the opposition as evil, I'd rather focus on the why's of the policy & recognizing its impact (meritorious or not). You have a better chance of changing some minds.

I know one thing fo sho out of all this, Nascar, Orlando Aviation Authority, and many others will be hella quiet while Desantis is governor if they want to keep their special status. :ROFLMAO:

I can only speak for myself. No, it's not in my best interest.
Here's an added layer of complexity.

You're black. That implies that you live in a blackish community. Such communities tend towards Democrats. Maybe Desantis hasn't any reason to care about Floridians, in your general area, because y'all aren't going to help him keep power anyway.
Tom

PS ~Stay tuned for another episode of "As The Stomach Turns" ~

Apparently the Florida legislature was in such a hurry to pass this bill they bypassed the process which checks for constitutional legality and it effect on revenue. Maybe Florida doesn't have that kind of process, but the US Congress and most other state legislatures do, just so they can afford debacles such as this.

Basically, the Florida legislature passed a law which declared a state contract to be invalid. This is really no different than if they appropriated money to buy someone's property, then after taking possession passed a bill declaring they weren't going to pay.

This can be encapsulated by Bron's observation, "You know they're crazy, what made you think they're smart?"
And note Disney's position on this--the bill demands something that isn't legal, go pound sand. Think they would take an attitude like that unless they were very sure of their position??

Are you going to point out who's doing that?

Are you going to point out who's doing that?
Yo Vonse: for the low low price of $111.63 you too can be an owner of Disney. Don’t you want to be a billionaire?

Should public money finance private sport training facilities? No.

Should public money earmarked for private sport training facilities be cancelled because the Governor is violating the first amendment? No!

Back
Top Bottom