• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discussion of Michael Cohen's Testimony before Congress

I wish Trey Gowdy was still in the House. Jesus, is he creepy. That would've been a trailer park hoedown, Trey & Michael. Trey looks like the 'after' picture in old VD films.

190303themessage812137364_t700_h12c3bd80731bc0c54c2acac038ad0adb2a3976c2.jpg

He's only a rat if Trump is a criminal boss.

Otherwise he is merely fessing up to try to reduce his punishments.

Right. A "rat" is someone telling on someone for something they did.

Right, when they way 'ratted out' or 'ratted on someone' they do not mean 'made shit up.' They mean revealing facts, usually to authorities.

Indeed. So deriding someone as a 'rat' is an admission that you are part of an organisation or gang that values loyalty to the gang, above the rule of law.

It's a common enough creed amongst organisations devoted to criminal pursuits; But is not something one would want to find amongst government officials, as it suggests that a coup d'état is either imminent or in progress, to replace the established authority with that of the gangsters.

It seems odd to me that the Republicans constantly called Cohen a liar because he lied to Congress - but what he lied about was Trump continuing his business with Russia well into his campaign. He said Trump didn't, but he did.

So.....

It seems odd to me that the Republicans constantly called Cohen a liar because he lied to Congress - but what he lied about was Trump continuing his business with Russia well into his campaign. He said Trump didn't, but he did.

So.....

Spoiled little bratty children behaving like spoiled little bratty children doesn't seem odd to me at all.

So.....

As someone said to Cohen during the hearing (I didn't catch who it was), "My colleagues are not upset that you lied for the President. They're upset that you stopped lying for him."

So.....

Spoiled little bratty children behaving like spoiled little bratty children doesn't seem odd to me at all.

Right? If anyone thought that the Republicans were just normal politicians doing their jobs, painted unfairly by the "liberal biased media", then all you had to do was watch that hearing for 10 minutes to realize these are terrible people. They were not interested in the least at getting any answers for the American public, all they did was what the "liberal biased media" fully expected them to do - distract and deflect.

Distract and deflect questions regarding a president that is under investigation for impeachable crimes (plural) - completely uninterested in knowing if the president is a criminal or not. They are OK with that.

Does that tell you that impeachment isn't the answer? Hopefully, the various state prosecutors will take up the slack. Trump already gave the faithful their chant for Mueller's report: "Bullshit!" (An off-hand Presidential comment that will look like true greatness to future generations -- it has the terse impact of the Gettysburg Address and the common-man coherence of 'nothing to fear but fear itself.') Bulllllllshit. Onward/Upward.

Does that tell you that impeachment isn't the answer? Hopefully, the various state prosecutors will take up the slack. Trump already gave the faithful their chant for Mueller's report: "Bullshit!" (An off-hand Presidential comment that will look like true greatness to future generations -- it has the terse impact of the Gettysburg Address and the common-man coherence of 'nothing to fear but fear itself.') Bulllllllshit. Onward/Upward.

How is impeachment not one viable option? How is any attempt at lawfully removing the idiot from power not the answer? How is hopefully someone will do it eventually the answer? Can you imagine the impeachment proceedings going on right now if the tables were turned? I would bet the farm that it would not have gone this far.

What this tells me is how flimsy western society really is (here in Canada too) and how much everyone takes for granted what we have, especially our ability to make things better for people. It tells me that the fear of "others" is deeply rooted and people will accept any political garbage as long as he does something about the "others".

As Clinton was impeached for a process crime, Some conservatives are touting that Trump is merely only guilty of process crimes.

(rest of post not directed at you ideologyhunter)

None of this is about anything but ridding the US of what it calls "others". These other Republican talking points, "small govt, family values, fiscal responsibility, rule of law" - are u f*ing kidding me? Almost zero average conservative voters give a f*ck about these things, but they pretend to as a cover for their fears.

As a Canadian I feel like we are watching the titanic sink into the North Atlantic as our lifeboat is tethered to its stern. The current Conservative party here is run by sleazebags, largely unpopular, but are successfully executing a plan to gain power. They are sowing distrust, dividing the left and the bots are in high gear. We are at the "Uranium One" stage of the game here.

Does that tell you that impeachment isn't the answer?

Actually, no, it tells me, at least, that impeachment is not only the answer (and inevitable at this point), but also that the GOP in the Senate will vote in favor of removal once the House approves impeachment proceedings.

Once again, the fact that not a single Republican in the Cohen hearings countered (i.e., disproved) anything Cohen testified to proves this point. As I had said many moons ago, they will kick up a lot of dust and spit and hot air, but that's just theater to cover their asses for their voters. If they really wanted Trump to remain in office and stop all of this "witch hunt"--iow, if it actually were just a witch hunt--then this would have already been over with months ago (certainly when they had control over all of Congress).

They didn't. Which means that for every time they hoot and holler and not actually present any counter-argument or evidence to the contrary, they are blowing a smokescreen to hide the fact that they will indeed get rid of him once the House approves impeachment.

Actually, no, it tells me, at least, that impeachment is not only the answer (and inevitable at this point), but also that the GOP in the Senate will vote in favor of removal once the House approves impeachment proceedings.

Once again, the fact that not a single Republican in the Cohen hearings countered (i.e., disproved) anything Cohen testified to proves this point. As I had said many moons ago, they will kick up a lot of dust and spit and hot air, but that's just theater to cover their asses for their voters. If they really wanted Trump to remain in office and stop all of this "witch hunt"--iow, if it actually were just a witch hunt--then this would have already been over with months ago (certainly when they had control over all of Congress).

They didn't. Which means that for every time they hoot and holler and not actually present any counter-argument or evidence to the contrary, they are blowing a smokescreen to hide the fact that they will indeed get rid of him once the House approves impeachment.

I find it very hard to believe that the Senate will convict and remove Donald Trump from office. Republican Party support for Trump is baked in. The Never Trumpers have lost because they represent only a small minority of the Republican base. Most Republicans are Always Trumpers. No matter what Republican officeholders think of the man privately, they still want to get reelected.

Me thinks you are reading the tea leaves all wrong.

I wish I could agree with that sentiment. However, based on the GOP's actions through inaction seem to indicate as long as they can cram judges onto benches, they are willing to put up with just about anything from Trump... including the CIA slap down in front of Putin and Trump's defense of the North Korean dictator regarding the murder of an American.

Back
Top Bottom