• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discussion of Michael Cohen's Testimony before Congress

I didn't catch who it was, but someone said to Cohen, "My colleagues aren't upset that you lied for the President. They're upset that you stopped lying for him."

Right wing arguments summed up:
  • You're a proven liar.
  • You did other bad stuff not in the service of Trump.
  • How dare you speak ill of the President! He's the President! You can't speak ill of the President! Especially while he's out of the country as we speak! How dare you! He's our established authority and thusly is above the law!

Not one fucking word from the right about why we have a lowlife, criminal President who undermines our democratic values.

While Cohen's testimony was interesting, I don't think it adds much to the record. Nor will it change the minds of many people. Really, was anyone surprised by anything he "revealed"?

I think it was just hearing it from Cohen himself and with his many, many references to evidence, such as "Special Counsel would have the evidence for that," or SDNY, or other, pointing them to exactly where they might find corroborating evidence beyond just his word.

On a side note, it's nice to see Stone used up his one chance to not be a conscienceless clown. I look forward to seeing what the judge does to him next week. Or maybe this week. They moved fast on him the last time. Someone on Facebook said, "He better take his toothbrush when he gets called before the judge this time." :D

Jim Jordan and his "freedom" caucus are obviously bent on denying Cohen the chance to offer his testimony. That alone speaks volumes.

I found that to be the saddest/most infuriating part of the whole thing. They didn't ask a single question about Trump.

I had held out a somewhat dim hope that when the time came, the Senate could be backed into enough of a corner to remove Trump from office. That's clearly not going to happen.

There is no crime Trump can commit that he'll be held accountable for. Today was a red flashing sign screaming exactly that.

I watched a bit of it. The GOP's "well Cohen is a liar" attack is straight out of the White House talking points and seems to ignore the fact that yes indeed, Cohen lied...professionally. He lied for Trump. In fact that was his job in a lot of respects.

Now they're suddenly concerned about the man's moral character?
Maybe he should say he likes beer. The GOP seem to like that in an interviewee.

He's just been disbarred. He is not trying to get onto Supreme Court. That gives me an idea: next D president should seriously consider Obama to fill any vacancy (like RBG's retirement).
1. There is precedent with Taft.
2. He taught constitutional law
3. Most important qualification: he likes beer!

From a media attention standpoint, it was part of a beautiful segue from Mueller to SDNY. Huh, Donald? And this while you're served up a Korean Nothingburger.
Now what? Betcha Donald is fuming on Air Force One right now.

While Cohen's testimony was interesting, I don't think it adds much to the record. Nor will it change the minds of many people. Really, was anyone surprised by anything he "revealed"?

I think it was just hearing it from Cohen himself and with his many, many references to evidence, such as "Special Counsel would have the evidence for that," or SDNY, or other, pointing them to exactly where they might find corroborating evidence beyond just his word.

On a side note, it's nice to see Stone used up his one chance to not be a conscienceless clown. I look forward to seeing what the judge does to him next week. Or maybe this week. They moved fast on him the last time. Someone on Facebook said, "He better take his toothbrush when he gets called before the judge this time." :D

There is one thing that y'all haven't mentioned. Cohen gave many names of contacts of Trump that may not have been questioned yet. I think that could lead to some new discoveries. Trump is a mobster and one of his mobsters has finally turned on him and told the truth. The Republicans must know that, but they care more about their power than what's might be best for the country.

There is one thing that y'all haven't mentioned. Cohen gave many names of contacts of Trump that may not have been questioned yet. I think that could lead to some new discoveries. Trump is a mobster and one of his mobsters has finally turned on him and told the truth. The Republicans must know that, but they care more about their power than what's might be best for the country.

Also not mentioned (if I have scanned the thread accurately):

Krishnamoorthi asked: “Is there any other wrongdoing or illegal act that you are aware of regarding Donald Trump that we haven’t yet discussed today?”
Cohen responded “Yes, and again, those are part of the investigation that is currently being looked at by the Southern District of New York...”

Gonna have to load up on more popcorn.

The swirling Trump toilet is starting to speed up. Anyone still within it's orbit will be flushed soon with all the other repugs that refuse to do their job.

Last edited:
The swirling Trump toilet is starting to speed up. Anyone still within it's orbit will be flushed soon with all the other repugs that refuse to do there job.

Expect right wing testeria to reach fever pitch.

I watched a bit of it. The GOP's "well Cohen is a liar" attack is straight out of the White House talking points and seems to ignore the fact that yes indeed, Cohen lied...professionally. He lied for Trump. In fact that was his job in a lot of respects.

Now they're suddenly concerned about the man's moral character?
Maybe he should say he likes beer. The GOP seem to like that in an interviewee.

He's just been disbarred. He is not trying to get onto Supreme Court. That gives me an idea: next D president should seriously consider Obama to fill any vacancy (like RBG's retirement).
1. There is precedent with Taft.
2. He taught constitutional law
3. Most important qualification: he likes beer!

Holy, hell. Can you imagine the conniption fits on the right?

Thanks to GOP control of the House until the mid-terms, many investigations were 86'd by the GOP. That is going to end soon. Cohen or no Cohen. It is going to get tough for the Orange Terror. I suspect the GOP and Faux numbnut fools will try to make Cohen a whipping boy to denigrate the coming investigations and hearings. But that will eventually prove fruitless.

"He's a liar! He's a liar! A proven liar!" Yes, he was. But now, further lies will give him more time in prison, so he won't be lying any more. But in the grand scheme of things, Cohen will simply be a minor part of the storm to come.

Gonna have to load up on more popcorn.

Curse you! :)

There's a store here that sells big bags of already-popped popcorn. I was going to post a link--but it turns out you can't link to individual items.

You may have missed this, but Cohen just testified in a closed door meeting. Apparently, few republicans attended. No cameras to posture to. And Cohen will again appear in early March for a follow up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-before-us-congress-on-march-6-idUSKCN1QH30R

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen said after testifying in a closed hearing before a congressional panel on Thursday that he would return on March 6 “to finish up.”
“I am committed to telling the truth and I will be back on March 6th to finish up. There’s more to discuss,” Cohen told reporters after testifying before the House Intelligence Committee.

"He's a liar! He's a liar! A proven liar!" Yes, he was. But now, further lies will give him more time in prison, so he won't be lying any more. But in the grand scheme of things, Cohen will simply be a minor part of the storm to come.

How many lies has Trump told since Cohen STOPPED lying for him?

And now this nonsense.

Favorite part is how they keep trying to say the “material” breach was that his alleged lies to Congress impeaded their ability to judge his credibility. As a professional liar for Trump.

Why would they hire such a liar to run their party's finances?

Because Republicans have grown so fond of basking in the warm glow of pants on fire. Most of them have already lit up their own...

Back
Top Bottom