• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do 11 year old black girls' lives matter? Or only black thug lives?

We shouldn't be putting people in "jail" at all. We should be putting them in rehabilitation settings for all but the most clearly soul-devoid.
Many people we put in jail don't belong there. But many people released early should have been locked up longer. Parole boards can get bamboozled with fake-ass stories of reform.

If we didn't punish for the purposes of petty fucking revenge or worse yet for the purposes of modern slavery, and instead spent the time and effort to help people understand how and why they shouldn't be shitty people, then we would probably be in a better place.

Your post says nothing though, about anything it's just a hem-haw designed to assuage your guilt for supporting a system that does nothing to help people change who they are when the person they are is bad.

Few people we put in jail belong there. When you have hundreds of millions, (let alone the billions of our planet), of course there will be "many" people who are anything you can imagine and knowing you, many things you can't imagine. Your statement means less than nothing.

Now, if you can be so convinced, maybe we all should be as readily convinced you are, but on behalf of all those college rape victims, eh?

16 year olds aren't adults and in many states, they can't be charged as adults. For that matter, imo, 18 is a bit too young to be fully charged as an adult because our brains aren't fully matured until about age 25.

I agree that a teenage brain is not fully developed. At the same time, they know that shooting somebody can kill them and that murder is a serious crime. So as a practical matter they have full knowledge of what the consequences of their actions are, for their victims but also legally for themselves. Just because somebody is 16 does not mean they are stupid!
4r3QO7E.gif
These gangs use teenage enforcers a lot as it is. Imagine if the worst thing 14 or 16 year old assassins had to fear was a a couple of years in juvi? The gangs would not be using anybody over 18 any more to do their dirty work because the teenagers can basically get away with murder. And you want to expand that to 25 years old? Hell no!

And, imo, 20 years is a long enough prison sentence for murder in most cases, especially a case as murky as the one being discussed seems to be. Of course there is no sense in discussing this seriously, as we all seem to have different opinions on this issue.
I do not think it's as murky as Myon apologists here would want us to believe. Myon was a gangbanger who was doing this drive by shit for a while, going by witness statements. Only this time he murdered a little girl while he was doing it.

And, if you don't like my link, do some of your own DD. It's been widely accepted in the world of neuroscience that human brains aren't fully matured until around age 25. People under that age are often more impulsive, more influenced by peers, and more likely to take risks.
Does not mean they should not face full consequences for their actions or that they do not understand these consequences.
Apart from youth, some people are more impulsive than others. Some are more influenced by peers. Some are more willing to take stupid risks than others. Many 16 year olds are more mature than some 36 year olds. Should they get special treatment by the criminal justice system too?

[There is no reason, imnsho, to give a life long sentence to a very young teenager for a crime that he/she wasn't mature enough to fully understand the consequences of or in some cases, lacked the maturity to control their impulsive behavior.
By 16 any non-mentally handicapped person knows the possible consequences of shooting a gun. And Myon did that over and over again.

I admit that I haven't researched this case in detail, but what others have posted mentioned a stray bullet, as well as witnesses that seemed to change their stories over time.
The only ones who changed their stories were his fellow bangers. And they probably decided to lie to protect him.
As to the stray bullet, he tried to kill a rival gang member (who positively identified him and hadn't changed his story) but missed and killed a little girl instead.

If this unfortunate young girl was the victim of a stray bullet, or an impulsive foolish act shot by an immature teenager, it's a terrible tragedy, but the perpetrator, assuming he was even the one who was guilty, has already served enough time and hopefully will be offered some rehab during his remaining time in prison. These days, it's very difficult for former convicts to even find opportunities that give them a second chance at living a decent life.
Are you kidding me? Dude is famous now. He will probably be able to raise 100s of 1000s on GoFundMe by #BLM supporters.

I also find it very ironic that some posters here will go out of their way to defend the police when they recklessly harm or kill an unarmed or innocent victim.
Can you point to a case like that?

It's unfortunate that police who are criminals are often defended and supported by so many, when their crimes are often as heinous as that of any other criminal.

Police are not the subject of this threat, but when police engage in criminal behavior they should be prosecuted. The problem is that #BLM will usually offer a very distorted misrepresentation of a case. Like claiming a perp was unarmed when he had a gun.

Of course I'm sure we all know that justice is a myth in many or most cases. The wealthy and the powerful often get off with light sentences or no prison time while the poor and the powerless are given the most severe sentences, even for non violent crimes.

Murder is most definitely a violent crime, so that does not fit here.

Now, if you can be so convinced, maybe we all should be as readily convinced you are, but on behalf of all those college rape victims, eh?
You means the false rape accusations that never get prosecuted in criminal court but use kangaroo college tribunals with a high false positive rate?

In one case the actual criminal justice system prosecuted the false accuser for making a false accusation, but the college still expelled the innocent guy.
University of North Dakota: Accuser Is Criminally Charged with Lying to Police, But School Refuses to Reopen Misconduct Case

But what does that have to do with Myon Burell murdering an 11 year old girl and you thinking that he does not belong in prison?

Ah, I see it's once again time for the "But you aren't protesting for (person whose apparent murderers were immediately arrested and charged), so you don't really think black lives matter!!" post.
Well there are those on here defending Myon.

I'm iffy on most life without parole sentences, for what it's worth - a teenager is very different from a 30-someodd person mentally. If someone's a clear sociopath, has an extensive and aggressive record in prison, and so on, then that's one matter. A person who is locked up at under 18, stays out of trouble as much as they can, pursues an education in prison, and the like? Sure, let them out after that length of time.

I agree that they can be released after 20 years, but on parole. I.e. make the sentence life with possibility of parole from life without parole. But that's not what they did. In mere two years Myon will be off parole entirely.

You means the false rape accusations that never get prosecuted in criminal court but use kangaroo college tribunals with a high false positive rate?

In one case the actual criminal justice system prosecuted the false accuser for making a false accusation, but the college still expelled the innocent guy.
University of North Dakota: Accuser Is Criminally Charged with Lying to Police, But School Refuses to Reopen Misconduct Case

But what does that have to do with Myon Burell murdering an 11 year old girl and you thinking that he does not belong in prison?

In the words that were good enough for someone earlier in the thread: Well I for one am convinced.

My point is your standard of evidence is lacking, and inconsistent

Of course you are convinced that he is guilty. They had you at black.

Bullshit! But that's probably why you think he's innocent.

The fact is that the facts in this case were never clear, there was enormous pressure to bring those responsible to justice
The first part is BS but the second part is correct. Because an innocent victim, and a child at that, was killed there was pressure to bring those responsible to justice. That pressure would have been far less if he had only killed a fellow banger.

--and one of the investigating officers paid someone to name Burrell.
The importance of that was overstated. For one, informants are often paid for information. That does not mean they are lying. Second, that was only one of the witnesses. The indented target of the hit also identified Myon, and nobody paid him.

We can post opposing links to stories for days and never reach agreement of his guilt. I think there's a fair chance he didn't do it. You do not. No one is arguing that he was a choir boy but that is not the issue here.
A lot was made of, in my opinion, spurious claims of him not being guilty. Those claims most certainly influenced the board to decide to release him. As such, it is very much the issue here.

You agree that the sentence should have been commuted due to his age. You are quibbling over a couple of years. It is not as though he were pardoned or the conviction were overturned. But I do suspect that they will pursue a reversal of his conviction. I think the case is tainted enough that they have a chance.

No, not a couple of years. Lifelong parole vs. 2 short years.

And I surely hope he is not granted reversal of conviction. You still have not explained his changing alibis. Was he in Bemidji, playing video games or at the corner store? At various times Myon claimed all those alibis!

Furthermore, a gang expert testified that bangers will often take blame for each other.
From the case notes I linked to above
Case notes said:
Finally, Hodge testified that it was common for gang members to "take" a case for a fellow gang member, meaning one gang member will take the fall for a crime committed by another, and that gang members do not cooperate with the police.
That explains Myon's accomplices babbling about the mystery "3rd man" who, they claim, was anybody but Myon. Except, it actually was Myon!

He was convicted based on his guilt being proven beyond a reasonable doubt. He failed in more appeals than Giuliani. He was only released because of political pressure from #BLM. I guess the governor did not want any more burning buildings and demolished Targets so he freed him like some latter day Jesus Barabbas!

He was convicted based on his guilt being proven beyond a reasonable doubt. He failed in more appeals than Giuliani. He was only released because of political pressure from #BLM.
You made 3 claims of fact. The first one is true. The second one is blatantly false. The third is unsubstantiated (which is the charitable description).

The prosecutor in the first conviction which was thrown out and the prosecutor in the second trial do not object to the commutation. I live in the state, and there does not appear to be a groundswell of opposition to the commutation. If we can live this outcome, maybe you should as well.

If whether or not he did the crime is questionable, then he shouldn't have been there in the first place. How long he should stay inside, if he's guilty, depends on exactly what he can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have done. If he pulled the trigger himself; I cannot support letting him out.

Sadly, no. Not terribly surprised that a person who was raised to adulthood in a prison has stepped on the wrong side of the law.

At least Mr Burrell served time for his accidental killing of an innocent person. And it appears it will be back to incarceration for his crimes that involved no other person.

Turning to the OP content, Mr. Burrell was convicted when he was 14 years old.

16. Not 14. Old enough to know that shooting at gang rivals is a serious crime.

The rest of the OP is pure bilious conjecture about the motives and character of the Mn AG and the Mn Governor that reflects more on the OP poster than the situation.

Neither has much of a character. Walz is bending over for #BLMers (#BLM supports the murderer and not the victim) who burned down and looted the city of Minneapolis this Summer. Keith Ellison is a Muslim radical who has been supporting Louis Farrakhan and Nation of Islam. Both are disgraceful!

Wow, they burned down the entire city of Minneapolis? Who knew? I guess I missed that!

SAY HER NAME! TYESHA EDWARDS!

Sorry for your loss?

Sadly, no. Not terribly surprised that a person who was raised to adulthood in a prison has stepped on the wrong side of the law.
Really this.
Whatever happened 20 years ago it was ugly.
Personally, I find few crimes worth a 20 year sentence. Underage people, virtually none. But if the kid grew up in prison...
Tom

Only 11 year olds are children apparently, not 16 year olds.

16 year olds are not really children. They are minors but there is a huge difference in development between 11 and 16.

And the 11 year old sat at her desk minding her own business, while the 16 year old was shooting at a gang rival. Of course #BLM is on the side of the thug, as usual.

If there's no reason to consider whether Burrell was innocent or not - despite a lengthy investigation concluding that he was -

That lengthy "investigation" is on the levels of claims of fraud by Giuliani et al. It was debunked by Hennepin County DA's office report I linked to. For example, Myon apologists claim that he was at a store. But that's not what he claimed initially. He first claimed that he was not even in Minneapolis, then he said that he was playing video games. The grocery store story came only recently and conveniently way too late for there to be any video evidence. If he was really at the store, why didn't he say that right away?

It is pretty much certain that he is guilty. Certainly well beyond a reasonable doubt. But taking the side of black murderers is fashionable in certain circles these days because of #BLM. Michael Brown is a gentle giant, Mumia Abu Jamal is an innocent journalist and Myon Burell is Schrödinger's gang banger who was in three different places at the same time, just not where he really was, in front of Tyesha Edward's house, shooting at a guy who belonged to a rival gang. :rolleyes:
There’s a pretty huge difference between someone who is 16 and someone who is 21. Or even 18.

You very frequently conflate height with adulthood and adult maturity and comprehension. There simply is not the correlation you seem to think there is.

16 year olds aren't adults and in many states, they can't be charged as adults. For that matter, imo, 18 is a bit too young to be fully charged as an adult because our brains aren't fully matured until about age 25.

I agree that a teenage brain is not fully developed. At the same time, they know that shooting somebody can kill them and that murder is a serious crime. So as a practical matter they have full knowledge of what the consequences of their actions are, for their victims but also legally for themselves. Just because somebody is 16 does not mean they are stupid!
View attachment 30862
These gangs use teenage enforcers a lot as it is. Imagine if the worst thing 14 or 16 year old assassins had to fear was a a couple of years in juvi? The gangs would not be using anybody over 18 any more to do their dirty work because the teenagers can basically get away with murder. And you want to expand that to 25 years old? Hell no!

And, imo, 20 years is a long enough prison sentence for murder in most cases, especially a case as murky as the one being discussed seems to be. Of course there is no sense in discussing this seriously, as we all seem to have different opinions on this issue.
I do not think it's as murky as Myon apologists here would want us to believe. Myon was a gangbanger who was doing this drive by shit for a while, going by witness statements. Only this time he murdered a little girl while he was doing it.

And, if you don't like my link, do some of your own DD. It's been widely accepted in the world of neuroscience that human brains aren't fully matured until around age 25. People under that age are often more impulsive, more influenced by peers, and more likely to take risks.
Does not mean they should not face full consequences for their actions or that they do not understand these consequences.
Apart from youth, some people are more impulsive than others. Some are more influenced by peers. Some are more willing to take stupid risks than others. Many 16 year olds are more mature than some 36 year olds. Should they get special treatment by the criminal justice system too?

[There is no reason, imnsho, to give a life long sentence to a very young teenager for a crime that he/she wasn't mature enough to fully understand the consequences of or in some cases, lacked the maturity to control their impulsive behavior.
By 16 any non-mentally handicapped person knows the possible consequences of shooting a gun. And Myon did that over and over again.

I admit that I haven't researched this case in detail, but what others have posted mentioned a stray bullet, as well as witnesses that seemed to change their stories over time.
The only ones who changed their stories were his fellow bangers. And they probably decided to lie to protect him.
As to the stray bullet, he tried to kill a rival gang member (who positively identified him and hadn't changed his story) but missed and killed a little girl instead.

If this unfortunate young girl was the victim of a stray bullet, or an impulsive foolish act shot by an immature teenager, it's a terrible tragedy, but the perpetrator, assuming he was even the one who was guilty, has already served enough time and hopefully will be offered some rehab during his remaining time in prison. These days, it's very difficult for former convicts to even find opportunities that give them a second chance at living a decent life.
Are you kidding me? Dude is famous now. He will probably be able to raise 100s of 1000s on GoFundMe by #BLM supporters.

I also find it very ironic that some posters here will go out of their way to defend the police when they recklessly harm or kill an unarmed or innocent victim.
Can you point to a case like that?

It's unfortunate that police who are criminals are often defended and supported by so many, when their crimes are often as heinous as that of any other criminal.

Police are not the subject of this threat, but when police engage in criminal behavior they should be prosecuted. The problem is that #BLM will usually offer a very distorted misrepresentation of a case. Like claiming a perp was unarmed when he had a gun.

Of course I'm sure we all know that justice is a myth in many or most cases. The wealthy and the powerful often get off with light sentences or no prison time while the poor and the powerless are given the most severe sentences, even for non violent crimes.

Murder is most definitely a violent crime, so that does not fit here.
Teenagers still engage in a lot of magical thinking and other logistically flawed thought processes. The part of their brains that handles long term thinking is not well developed yet, no matter how tall they are or how well developed their bust lines or musculature.

Why don't governors have the balls to order the national guard to just mow down rioters?

Why don't governors have the balls to order the national guard to just mow down rioters?
Maybe because 99.99% of the people out there were not “rioters”. So mowing down the crowd would be a monstrous injustice.
I would add that killing people to avoid damage to replaceable property seems barbaric.

Back
Top Bottom