• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

Wouldn't Geometry be an absolute truth?

I think maybe the better question is are there absolute truths.

What does that mean?

It means that something exists, rather than nothing exists.
If something exists, there can be no possibility that is does not exist.
Something either exists or it does not exist. There is nothing in between.

No, that is just "existence is two-valued" not "existence is absolute"

Absolute and Relative Truths Both Exist

Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts.
I know this is mostly theoretical but practically absolute truth doesn't seem to exist unless it exists practically as a theoretical proposition. ??

Yes absolute truths exist in all contexts. Once I post my cosmic heirachy this oppinion has better chance of being understood if not comprehended.

Someone mentioned goemetry and here is a perfect example of Universal absolute truth existing as metaphysical-1 concept that is complementary to any context of our finite, occupied space Universe.

Ex there exists, only metaphysical-1 mind/intellect, 5 only 5 regular/symmetrical, polyhedra, that can manifest as occupied space;

1} icosa{20}hedron--- stably structural system,

2} octa{8}hedron--stably structural system,

3} tetra{4}hedron---stably structural system,
------------------------------------------------
4} pentagonal-dodeca{12}hedron--non-stable ergo non-structural system,

5} cube aka regular hexa{6}hedron---non-stabel ergo non-structural system.

Thank you Max Tegmark for your confirmation thereof.

r6

I know this is mostly theoretical but practically absolute truth doesn't seem to exist unless it exists practically as a theoretical proposition. ??

Yes absolute truths exist in all contexts. Once I post my cosmic heirachy this oppinion has better chance of being understood if not comprehended.

Someone mentioned goemetry and here is a perfect example of Universal absolute truth existing as metaphysical-1 concept that is complementary to any context of our finite, occupied space Universe.

Ex there exists, only metaphysical-1 mind/intellect, 5 only 5 regular/symmetrical, polyhedra, that can manifest as occupied space;

------------------------------------------------
4} pentagonal-dodeca{12}hedron--non-stable ergo non-structural system,

r6

That must be an amazing acid trip you're on.

This implies that a truth is not true in all contexts, which is idiotic. A truth is by definition true.
EB

Yes, it does.

Either absolute truth exists, in which case it is an absolute truth to say that there is absolute truth or absolute truth does not exist, in which case it's an absolute truth to say that it does not.
Victory à la Pyrrhus. Your argument only shows that the set of true statements is not empty. This is as good as exibiting one necessarily true statement, such as "X is X". Not too useful this. Whhat your argument does not show in particular is whether there are true statements about the material world. You know, like "the Earth orbits the Sun" for example.
EB

Relative Truths > Absolute Truth < Relative Truths

There exists absolute and relative truths.

There exists, two primary kinds of existence.

Zero{ 0 } is non-counting number--- ergo a non-value ---that representative of one kind of existence.

One{ 1 } or negative one{ -1 } is counting number--- ergo a value ---that is representative of the 2nd primary kinds of existence.

These are elaborated upon in my cosmic heirarchy for clarity and reference.

Relative truths via definitions of our concepts, approaches absolute truth and in some cases seemingly arrive there. As reference below.

r6

------------------------------------------------4} pentagonal-dodeca{12}hedron--non-stable ergo non-structural system,
r6

I'm guessing r6 just skipped all the posts saying you have to define absolute truth before you can simply assert a useful answer to the question.
And then it's time to talk about what r6 is here to talk about.

I'm guessing r6 just skipped all the posts saying you have to define absolute truth before you can simply assert a useful answer to the question.
And then it's time to talk about what r6 is here to talk about.

...which appears to be some kind of surrealist forum-based performance art.

Absolute truth is an oxymoron. Absolutes are what they are independent of sentient minds, but truth is a property of ideas, which can only come from sentient minds.

Platonists of course insist that true ideas exist in reality in some nether realm, then magically float to the correct mind when someone "discovers" a truth, but I think Platonism is nuts, but under their view of reality, absolute truth is indeed possible.

Another way of looking at it is that any information that enters your mind has to pass through several filters before reaching your mind (senses, which can be wrong, language which distorts meaning, etc), and once in your mind, it is subject to all manner of inherent flaws in your thinking (cognitive distortions, cognitive biases, our tendency for fallacious arguments, etc.) such that even if absolute truth were a thing, we would be incapable of knowing when or if we have it.

Personally, I'm going with the "humans are inherently stupid" explanation.

Absolute truth is an oxymoron. Absolutes are what they are independent of sentient minds, but truth is a property of ideas, which can only come from sentient minds.
Truth is not a property of ideas. Truth is a relation between an idea and the world and while it depends as such on the idea in question it does not depend on the mind having the idea for a given idea. Somes ideas may be problematic in this context but not any idea which is not about the mind or part of it.

"Absolute truth" is not an oxymoron. It is just that truth is necessarily absolute (so "absolute" is redundant). To talk of absolute truth is therefore to suggest there are truths which are not absolute, and that is idiotic.
EB

The Truth Is Out There imho

Non-counting zero and counting one---- or other numerical counting values ---are symbols or identifiers, or representatives thereof.

Zero{ 0 } existence = nothing aka no 3D thing{ properties } to occupy space

One{ 1 }existence = something aka a 3D thing{ properties } that occupies space

These appear to be absolute truths, only if time/frequency/motion is considered inherent to 3D things{ properties }.

However, their relative to each other and exclude the 2nd kind zero{ 0 } existence.

The truth is out there, for those with sincere desire to find truth, and some effort. imho

Some or all of the above is clarified in my cosmic heirarchy.

Also want to make clear, that, time is specical-case of within a larger set of properties ergo physical/reality.

Time is our special-case temporal property whereas spin or expansion-contraction are more distinct properties, that, and Ive not yet arrive with the correct terminologies to make that distinction other than the word temporal.

r6
Zero{ 0 } is non-counting number--- ergo a non-value ---that representative of one kind of existence.
One{ 1 } or negative one{ -1 } is counting number--- ergo a value ---that is representative of the 2nd primary kinds of existence.
These are elaborated upon in my cosmic heirarchy for clarity and reference.
Relative truths via definitions of our concepts, approaches absolute truth and in some cases seemingly arrive there. As reference below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone mentioned geoemetry and here is a perfect example of Universal absolute truth existing as metaphysical-1 concept that is complementary to any context of our finite, occupied space Universe.
------------------------------------------------4} pentagonal-dodeca{12}hedron--non-stable ergo non-structural system,
r6

r6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom