• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dominion starts serving lawsuits

And just when you think the Faux Noise vs Dominion case couldn't get worse, it gets worse. Faux Noise lawyers had claimed Rupert Murdoch had no direct position at Faux Noise. This basically was a lie. The judge in this case is not a happy judge.

A judge on Wednesday said that he would appoint a special master tasked with determining whether Fox News withheld crucial evidence in the defamation lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems.

CNN reports that Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis on Wednesday repeatedly expressed "exasperation and frustration" with Fox News' attorneys while lawyers representing Dominion delivered a presentation alleging that they did not receive all of the information they should have during the discovery process.

All of the damning info they got and there is even hotter stuff out there and Fox News didn't provide it? Wow.

And it gets worse then worse.

Abby Grossberg, the former Tucker Carlson producer accusing Fox News of pressuring her to give false testimony in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit, filed amended legal complaints on Tuesday claiming there are secret Fox audio recordings of Rudy Giuliani and other Trump allies.

Tapes. There are tapes. Not "She said " or claimed, but tapes of the guilty being very guilty. A prosecuter's dream.

The moment when Fox forgot there are laws and not everyone is fair game for lying.

How long before the judge decides that their hiding things should result in them forfeiting the case?

How long before the judge decides that their hiding things should result in them forfeiting the case?
I sincerely hope that the judge does nothing like that. That'll end it.

I hope the judge drags it out. Make everyone from Rupert Murdoch to Sydney Powell testify under oath.

Under oath. Where the kind of casual lies that they are accustomed to telling become actionable crimes.

Then make the liars pay billions on damages.
Tom

I hope the judge drags it out. Make everyone from Rupert Murdoch to Sydney Powell testify under oath.

Under oath. Where the kind of casual lies that they are accustomed to telling become actionable crimes.

Tom
The case would continue to determine damages.

A shareholder is now suing the Murdochs some members of the Fox News board of directors.

NBCNews said:
“The Board’s decision to chase viewers by promoting the false stolen election claims has exposed the Company to public ridicule and negatively impacted the credibility of Fox News as a media organization that is supposed to accurately report newsworthy events. The Company is now the subject of two defamation cases, with combined damages claimed to exceed $4 billion,” the lawsuit alleges.

Let's see how many more join in.
Caveat emptor, I say: Furthermore: You knew what Fox was when you clasped it to your bosom. You shoudln't be shocked when Fox nipped your right-wing monetized heart.

Caveat emptor, I say: Furthermore: You knew what Fox was when you clasped it to your bosom. You shoudln't be shocked when Fox nipped your right-wing monetized heart.
Pretty much this. Fox has been a known quantity for a very long time.

Those investors are lucky that they can't be personally sued for financing Fox lying.
Tom

Tom
I agree

I hope they're not settling.

I hope they're not settling.

Same, but on the off chance that this is not just about some routine scheduling conflict and Fox saying "whoa now...shit just got real," it could get...interesting.

Defamation is notoriously hard to prove, but if Fox is open to settling, then it follows that they know taking it to trial is a losing proposition.

Would this lead to the network paying out the billion or so dollars that Dominion is asking for? No, but I have to think that a settlement wouldn't be the typical "here's a bunch of money and we won't speak about this again."

If I were a major voting machine company suing one of the biggest media empires on the planet for over a billion dollars (which I'm obviously not), I wouldn't trade money I could win at trial for less than enough egg on the faces of Fox execs and hosts to drive the cost of actual eggs up again. A significant percentage of the billion, along with public concessions from Tucker, Maria, Sean, and others along with front page retractions of all the claims and a prime-time special where someone like Brett Baier or Howard Kurtz spent an hour or two explaining to Fox viewers exactly how, when, and where the network lied.

And like Dan Rather or Brian Williams, one or more of their prominent hosts would have to be very publicly fired for being less than truthful. This would (of course) enrage Trump and his followers, and if done correctly would lead to the network finally breaking with MAGA. It's probably too much to hope for Fox admitting that "Fox & Friends" is hosted by sycophantic idiots, but if this delay is related to a possible settlement, then Dominion has quite a lot of leverage.

Would Fox be put out of business? No. Yet even if this does go to trial and Dominion wins, I don't think that's going to happen. Multi-billion dollar media companies (and this is something I know a little about) are surprisingly resilient.

If I were a major voting machine company suing one of the biggest media empires on the planet for over a billion dollars (which I'm obviously not), I wouldn't trade money I could win at trial for less than enough egg on the faces of Fox execs and hosts to drive the cost of actual eggs up again. A significant percentage of the billion, along with public concessions from Tucker, Maria, Sean, and others along with front page retractions of all the claims and a prime-time special where someone like Brett Baier or Howard Kurtz spent an hour or two explaining to Fox viewers exactly how, when, and where the network lied.

Yeah, I don't Dominion is interested in the money. I think it's all about public humiliation and vindication. This is a lawsuit that involves two big companies and yet it really gives off the vibe that it's personal.

Dominion has Fox dead to rights on defamation. The issue is the endless appeals. I like the idea of every host that lied to have to have a disclaimer as their program begins (by them... on camera) that this is a commentary program and for entertainment purposes only.

Yeah, I don't Dominion is interested in the money. I think it's all about public humiliation and vindication. This is a lawsuit that involves two big companies and yet it really gives off the vibe that it's personal.
I agree that public humiliation and evisceration of FOX's paltry credibility is a big objective. But $1.6b ain't peanuts.

New audio revealed as part of Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News — which Fox allegedly failed to provide to Dominion in the discovery process — shows how Fox News and Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo took directives from the Trump campaign to promote the campaign’s plan to overturn the 2020 presidential election results on January 6, 2021.

The new evidence was revealed by former Fox producer Abby Grossberg as part of her separate lawsuit against the network for allegedly setting her and Bartiromo up as scapegoats for Fox’s clear pattern of spreading lies and conspiracy theories about the 2020 election. While the paper trail released so far in the case shows that Grossberg herself promoted conspiracy theories in the pursuit of ratings, she has also brought forward additional evidence that has already produced big legal results in the Dominion case. The judge in the case reportedly sanctioned Fox on Wednesday for failing to turn over Grossberg’s audio recordings in a move that will give Dominion an opportunity to conduct further legal discovery at Fox’s expense.

On Wednesday night, MSNBC host Alex Wagner played exclusive audio excerpts from the key pieces of evidence that Grossberg had preserved and Fox had allegedly withheld from Dominion, including a phone call on November 8, 2020, in which then-Trump campaign attorney Rudy Giuliani admitted that he did not have evidence for his outlandish claims about Dominion. (Bartiromo and other Fox hosts continued to host Giuliani, anyway.) In another phone call, from December 5, 2020, an unnamed Trump campaign official admitted that Georgia’s statewide recount of ballots was “pretty darn close to what the machine count was,” and that the secretary of state’s office found that “that there weren’t any physical issues” with the voting machines. In a key piece of audio that Wagner played Wednesday night, the Trump campaign official also gave one of the earliest signals that the campaign intended to use the January 6, 2021, joint session of Congress in an attempt to overturn the election results, and that then-Vice President Mike Pence would supposedly “have to decide” which votes to count.

Pretty much this. Fox has been a known quantity for a very long time.

Those investors are lucky that they can't be personally sued for financing Fox lying.
Tom
They CAN (if it can be proved that they knew that was what they were doing). They would be an accessory to the crime.

Back
Top Bottom