• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Donald the Orange and Family Sued in NY

Trump lately:

"This is totally unfair...I want a new trial!"

No, seriously

He wants a "do-over" for the E. Jean Carroll case, and if I had a dime I'd bet that he'll be demanding a whole new trial in the NY fraud case.
Should have hired a better lawyer.

Recall that his lawyer said she would rather be pretty than smart.

Trump lately:

She said that she'd then fake being smart, but that is something that would be very difficult to do, since one needs some smarts to be able to fake anything.

Trump lately:

She said that she'd then fake being smart, but that is something that would be very difficult to do, since one needs some smarts to be able to fake anything.
It only works on people less smart than you, like maybe your clients, but not other lawyers and judges.

Trump managed to get a bond for the Carroll judgment He doesn't have to say how. Musk?

The Carroll case is a waste of money. He defamed her... then defamed her again. He has no case. But he could at least get someone to bond him for the Carroll case. $400+ million? Good luck. Course, Trump has made a career out of obtaining cash from people that should have known better.

At least the other case, the unprecedented nature of it allows for lawyer muddling of waters.

Donald Trump posts $91.6 million bond for E. Jean Carroll's defamation verdict | Reuters
The bond from Federal Insurance Co, part of the insurer Chubb , would cover Carroll's $83.3 million judgment if Trump were to lose his appeal of the Jan. 26 verdict and refuse to pay.

The posting of a bond also means Carroll, 80, wouldn't collect on the judgment during the appeals process, which could take years.

Kaplan on Friday gave Carroll and her lawyers until March 11 to register any objections to the bond.
Let's see if they do so.

Donald Trump May Be 'Beholden' to People Behind Bond: Legal Analyst
After Donald Trump posted a bond of nearly $92 million on Friday as he appealed the jury's verdict in E. Jean Carroll's civil defamation case, legal analyst Andrew Weissmann warned on Sunday that the former president may be "beholden" to people behind the bond.

"This is an example of running not just as an outsider, but as an outlaw...The concern in these civil cases with these civil judgements is who is the candidate beholden to. Is he somebody who is going to be making policy and being differential to people who have put up money?" Weissmann asked.

He later added: "There is a simple way of looking at this, is that he has $450 million reasons to be differential if somebody else is putting up the money or co-signing...That issue of who is actually behind this is something that people who are voting should know."

Meanwhile, Chubb chairman and CEO Evan Greenberg has history with Trump, having been appointed in 2018 to his Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations during his presidency. The Washington Post recently reported it is "not clear from court records what collateral Trump presented to obtain the bond from Chubb."
What will Trump's bailout funders want in return for that funding? I suspect that there's a quid pro quo somewhere in that funding.

What will Trump's bailout funders want in return for that funding? I suspect that there's a quid pro quo somewhere in that funding.
What? No. No no no. There is no reason of any kind to suspect that the person/people who pledged to give Donald Trump a quarter of a billion dollars will use that leverage to extract any concessions or special treatment of any kind. This is Totally the most Altruistic loan in History of Ever.

Man, there are so many lawsuits, takes a while to find the one you are looking for.

Trump can't finance bond for appeal in NY fraud case.
article said:
"Defendants have faced what have proven to be insurmountable difficulties in obtaining an appeal bond for the full $464 million," according to an affirmation by Trump Organization general counsel Alan Garten.

While Garten said Trump is "financially stable" and maintains "substantial assets," the magnitude of the judgment would require him to use his real estate as collateral for the bond. So far, according to Garten's affirmation, no surety bond provider approached by Trump is willing to accept real estate as collateral, including Chubb, the insurance giant underwriting Trump's $91.6 million bond to cover the $83 million judgment in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case, plus interest.
The thing is, if he can't appeal, it isn't like he doesn't have to pay, the state can start seizing stuff. Odd, how banks are willing to lend on these buildings, but the insurance companies are not.

So is there going to be a fire sale on a couple of properties to pay? Or does the State of NY cease the properties in this case?

Online revenue is unlikely to cut it, too.

432041861_8067219523307499_212888941191126067_n.jpg

So is there going to be a fire sale on a couple of properties to pay? Or does the State of NY cease the properties in this case?
Me right now with my fingers crossed: (please, please...take his favorite building and rename it E. Jean Carroll Tower...)

If properties are taken I certainly hope they are appraised at the values he submitted for taxation purposes and not the inflated values he submitted for obtaining loans. Likely there is some method for determining current market value. Probably separate appraisers picked by the two sides.

If properties are taken I certainly hope they are appraised at the values he submitted for taxation purposes and not the inflated values he submitted for obtaining loans. Likely there is some method for determining current market value. Probably separate appraisers picked by the two sides.
Or the government could put it up for auction, highest bidder determines it's value for the purpose of paying off the claimants.
Tom

There's a MAGA dating app? I assumed they found each other while frog gigging or shooting Miller Lite empties off fence posts.

There's a MAGA dating app? I assumed they found each other while frog gigging or shooting Miller Lite empties off fence posts.
Pfft.
Full ones die in a much more satisfying manner. Plus, they stay on the fence post better, and save you having to drink that awful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom