• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Don't cuss me but what if....

Elixir said:
"I can easily envision Brownshirts in the streets,"
tRump's brownshirts have already stormed the capital building on 1/6/2021.

I strongly suggest that us nons in the US change our voter registration to republican before the primary election in your state,
so as to vote against tRump, and try to keep him from being nominated.
I have changed my registration. I don't care who the Dems nominate.
I live in Pennsylvania. My informal man-in-the-street poll indicates that Democrat voters have taken the anti-Biden propaganda to heart, and may vote for tRump.
So I'm worried.
We have open primaries here in Michigan. All I have to do is tell the poll worker I want a dem or rep ballot.

I actually don't like open primaries. Why should someone who's not a member of the party have a say in who will represent the party?
My thoughts is, it allows the opposition to drive the representative selection towards the least objectionable option, if they choose that route.

At least in theory...

I actually don't like open primaries. Why should someone who's not a member of the party have a say in who will represent the party?
Because everyone must live with the outcome, regardless of party affiliation.
Here in Indiana, last I knew, you had to be a registered member for a couple of days. I've never voted in a primary because registering with a party feels so much like selling my soul to the devil.
Tom

ETA~Until 2010 I was studiously non-partisan. Then a Republican Senator, Lugar, got primaried. That's when I developed my straight ticket Democrat attitude.~

Elixir said:
"I can easily envision Brownshirts in the streets,"
tRump's brownshirts have already stormed the capital building on 1/6/2021.

I strongly suggest that us nons in the US change our voter registration to republican before the primary election in your state,
so as to vote against tRump, and try to keep him from being nominated.
I have changed my registration. I don't care who the Dems nominate.
I live in Pennsylvania. My informal man-in-the-street poll indicates that Democrat voters have taken the anti-Biden propaganda to heart, and may vote for tRump.
So I'm worried.
We have open primaries here in Michigan. All I have to do is tell the poll worker I want a dem or rep ballot.

My thoughts is, it allows the opposition to drive the representative selection towards the least objectionable option, if they choose that route.

At least in theory...
I'm not sure, but I don't think we have an open primary here in PA.
I asked my local pole watchers last November, and they didn't know either. So I guess we don't.
Charlie said:
"Efforts are underway now to prevent Trump being on ballots in several states."
I don't think that is possible. As I understand it we can't keep him off the ballot in individual states. The party picks it's candidate at it's convention, then does the paperwork in every state that puts him on the ballot in every state, for the general election. The primary just directs the convention delegates, from your state, who to vote for in the first ballot at the convention. If it goes to a second ballot, they can vote for whoever they want.
I could be wrong, it's been about 55 years since I took civics.
I think our best chance is voting against him in the primary.

I don't think that is possible. As I understand it we can't keep him off the ballot in individual states. The party picks it's candidate at it's convention, then does the paperwork in every state that puts him on the ballot in every state, for the general election. The primary just directs the convention delegates, from your state, who to vote for in the first ballot at the convention. If it goes to a second ballot, they can vote for whoever they want.
I could be wrong, it's been about 55 years since I took civics.
I think our best chance is voting against him in the primary.
Unless something major happens between now and then I expect he will win the primary by a landslide.

Back
Top Bottom