• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Egypt Air Flight 804 missing

It's being reported someone at the airline sent out a tweet confirming the flight is missing:

"An informed source at Egyptair stated that Flight no MS804, which departed Paris at 23:09 (CEST), heading to Cairo has disappeared from radar," the tweet read.

There were 59 passengers on board and 10 crew members, according to the airline's Twitter feed.

The airline said it would provide more details as they become available.

ETA: image of tweet can be found here

Last ADS-B data was FL370 and 534kts over the Eastern Mediterranean at about 00:29Z, according to Flightradar24:

MS804.jpg

ADS-B does have some areas of patchy coverage though, so that could simply be the point at which the aircraft moved out of range of any receiving stations - the last signal on FlightAware came from Gazipaşa Airport in Turkey.

Weather in the area was excellent - clear skies, and a nearly full moon that wouldn't set for another hour, so visibility should have been excellent at 2:30am local time.

It was only 20 minutes from Cairo at that time, and that's now more than three hours ago. Not looking good.

It was only 20 minutes from Cairo at that time, and that's now more than three hours ago. Not looking good.
definitely not good
20 minutes from landing could mean some technical problems during landing.

Another Airbus A320...
Yes, I don't trust Airbus either.

They don't seem to be notably less reliable than Boeing; The A320 has a pretty good record (as do all modern commercial aircraft outside the third world and the former Soviet bloc).

I wouldn't think twice about flying on either a Boeing or an Airbus; but I would hesitate to set foot in an Ilyushin or a Tupolev.

Yes, I don't trust Airbus either.

They don't seem to be notably less reliable than Boeing; The A320 has a pretty good record (as do all modern commercial aircraft outside the third world and the former Soviet bloc).

I wouldn't think twice about flying on either a Boeing or an Airbus; but I would hesitate to set foot in an Ilyushin or a Tupolev.
I would think trice about Ilyushin or Tupolev, but Airbus has unfair share of ridiculous incidents compared to Boeing. This includes utterly incompetent pilots too, which as I understand it is partially fault of Airbus as well.

A French official has announced the plane has crashed into the water.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Airplane allegedly made some erratic maneuvers prior to crashing. Either a desperate pilot trying to salvage the flight or potentially a hijacked plane.
We are waiting to see what Russia says. If Russia says it crashed, it crashed. If Russia says it didn't crash, it didn't crash.

I take that back - I read a report that it crashed into the Mediterranean, but it looks like they still haven't located it yet.

I would think trice about Ilyushin or Tupolev, but Airbus has unfair share of ridiculous incidents compared to Boeing. This includes utterly incompetent pilots too, which as I understand it is partially fault of Airbus as well.

Airbuses are no more susceptible to pilot error than Boeings. A couple months ago the pilots of FlyDubai 981 flew a 737 straight into the ground in Rostov-on-Don, for example. Fatigue and/or inadequate training are usually given as the cause, but I suspect that a simple lack of ability is involved as well in many cases.

They say terrorism is most likely.

Just as a reminder, let's not start jumping to conclusions here. Just because it may be terrorism, doesn't mean its Islamic terrorism. Remember Timothy McVeigh and the abortion clinic bombers. Also, the Christians back in the Crusades.

They say terrorism is most likely.

This is an unusual scenario for terrorism. One would expect a bomb to go off closer to takeoff, or not long after the plane reached cruising altitude. It seems to have been rather high for any missile likely to be in Isis's arsenal to hit it. I wonder if the cabin door was one of the strengthened variety.

Airbuses are no more susceptible to pilot error than Boeings. A couple months ago the pilots of FlyDubai 981 flew a 737 straight into the ground in Rostov-on-Don, for example. Fatigue and/or inadequate training are usually given as the cause, but I suspect that a simple lack of ability is involved as well in many cases.
Airbus is easier to fly which allows less capable pilots to fly it. That works fine, until something which autopilot can't handle happens.

Back
Top Bottom