• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Election Day In Alabama

That's patently false. Here is what Jobar wrote:
This is Alabama. Lawyers there argue about if a married couple gets a divorce, are they still brother and sister?

Aren't you being racist against Jobar?

If you're going to try to convince people that what I wrote was false, you had best leave out when I directly quoted him. Including the italics.

Wow, your interpretation is dumb. Alabama is not a race just like Jobar is not a race. Somehow you get the latter but pretend not to get the former so you can call people racists. When i call you on it, suddenly magically you get it. Now that your ridiculous and reckless claims have distracted everyone, let's bring the thread back. It's about election in Alabama. The vast majority of white christian conservatives voted for an alleged sexually abusive deviant. It's not because they're white but then again Reagan did grab a lot of southern white racists into the repub party with the southern strategy. The repubs hear misinformation about the dems and don't often believe criticism of their own or even hear it. There are a lot of factors to name.

The vast majority of white christian conservatives voted for an alleged sexually abusive deviant. It's not because they're white but then again Reagan did grab a lot of southern white racists into the repub party with the southern strategy. The repubs hear misinformation about the dems and don't often believe criticism of their own or even hear it. There are a lot of factors to name.
Then after the election, guys like Trump and Limbaugh start trashing him. Hey, where were their warnings enough beforehand when they backed Moore? Dog eat dog.

This is Alabama. Lawyers there argue about if a married couple gets a divorce, are they still brother and sister?

Page one.

:rotfl:

You interpret something in that statement as 'racist'? Can you parse it openly for all of us?

I ask because your citing it as a 'racist statement' is entirely ridiculous from my standpoint. It is nonsense, as far as I can see. So, I'm trying to determine how it is you got to that point, particularly since you have since doubled down, twice, with your flamingly stupid interpretation of a single sentence.

Is it possible that you hail from Alabama, Jason? Perhaps that is the problem?

Page one.

You interpret something in that statement as 'racist'? Can you parse it openly for all of us?

I ask because your citing it as a 'racist statement' is entirely ridiculous from my standpoint. It is nonsense, as far as I can see. So, I'm trying to determine how it is you got to that point, particularly since you have since doubled down, twice, with your flamingly stupid interpretation of a single sentence.

I'll explain it to you: he pretends to think that a statement about people from Alabama means a statement about rednecks. He thinks a statement about rednecks means just white people. He thinks a statement about a group of white people means all white people. Therefore, he thinks it's racist. [he doesn't actually think it's racist, he's just pretending. When I wrote he is being racist against Jobar and he disagreed, he recognized that a subset of a race (or more than one race) is not equivalent to a race and therefore not racist to say something about them.]

So you do think bigotry is funny. Got it.

Jimmy, once again you don't understand anything I say. So let me try to make it clear.

When I object to something someone is saying, I do it personally. I do NOT say "what he's saying should be against the law."

Apparently you think "I don't like what he's saying" and "what he's saying should be illegal are synonyms. I do not think they are synonyms.

I believe if someone is saying something objectionable, the answer is to confront them. Not to send the police to confront them. I think sending the police to confront them is the cowards way. I believe banning free speech is the cowards way. It is your way, not my way.

It takes courage to confront someone directly. It takes cowardice to hide behind speech codes. I choose the former, you choose the latter.
Since you're splitting hairs here, where exactly do you get that Jimmy is saying your speech should be against the law. He said:
Mr. Snowflake at TF defends people chanting for deaths to Jews in Virginia doesn't like it when someone makes an incenst Southerners joke.
Which is funny, but he's making fun of you, not saying you should be locked up for being dense and not having a sense of humor.

I'll explain it to you: he pretends to think that a statement about people from Alabama means a statement about rednecks.

And yet, there is not a shred of proof of this, so I doubt it.

He thinks a statement about rednecks means just white people.

Can Jason provide proof of this?

He thinks a statement about a group of white people means all white people.

No proof.

Therefore, he thinks it's racist. [he doesn't actually think it's racist, he's just pretending.

Again, no proof.

When I wrote he is being racist against Jobar and he disagreed, he recognized that a subset of a race (or more than one race) is not equivalent to a race and therefore not racist to say something about them.]

My suspicion is that somebody does not know what they are talking about.

But then, I'm new around these parts.

Is this how reasoning transpires here? By innovative interpretation of other posters' satirical statements? Shouting of baseless derisive epithets? Outrageous unproven claims?

If so, this could be a lot more fun than I expected.

I am going to defer to Jason but I don't know whether I should expect to see a response when he is clearly wrong.
Jason was originally citing the joke as bigoted, do you disagree with this too? See, the joke really isn't about making fun of incest, it is referring to Alabama, as was put in italics.

I am going to defer to Jason but I don't know whether I should expect to see a response when he is clearly wrong.
Jason was originally citing the joke as bigoted, do you disagree with this too? See, the joke really isn't about making fun of incest, it is referring to Alabama, as was put in italics.

Yeah, sometimes humor doesn't translate well over the internet.

Is this how reasoning transpires here? By innovative interpretation of other posters' satirical statements? Shouting of baseless derisive epithets? Outrageous unproven claims?

It is important to try to minimize the innovative interpretation factor to ensure that your derisive epithets are not entirely baseless. In many cases, strong basis for derisive epithets exists, yet the epithets seem to point to other features of the post under criticism. Such a shame.

As long as this is viewed as an entertainment medium, there is indeed much fun to be had! :D

No, actually, I'm from Georgia. But I do recognize that blatant glaring bigotry against southerners is still considered politically correct and acceptable.

When I wrote he is being racist against Jobar and he disagreed, he recognized that a subset of a race (or more than one race) is not equivalent to a race and therefore not racist to say something about them.

I recognized that a PERSON is not a race. That's not some mere subset. In order for me to be racist against Jobar I'd have to know some larger category that Jobar might be part of. The only category that Jobar is a part of that I know if is "people who make racist jokes". Do you think "people who make racist jokes" is a race?

No, actually, I'm from Georgia. But I do recognize that blatant glaring bigotry against southerners is still considered politically correct and acceptable.

When I wrote he is being racist against Jobar and he disagreed, he recognized that a subset of a race (or more than one race) is not equivalent to a race and therefore not racist to say something about them.

I recognized that a PERSON is not a race. That's not some mere subset. In order for me to be racist against Jobar I'd have to know some larger category that Jobar might be part of. The only category that Jobar is a part of that I know if is "people who make racist jokes". Do you think "people who make racist jokes" is a race?

Jobar, who I know personally, is a white man, and native of rural Georgia, so I think he has the right to poke a little fun at other rural white guys. For that matter, Jobar still lives in rural Georgia.

I've lived in the south for 47 years. I love the south, but there are times when I poke a little fun at parts of southern culture. I grew up in New Jersey, one of the most mocked states in the country, and sometimes I make fun of the Jersey culture, despite the fact that I know people in New Jersey aren't all like the people on the horrible reality show, "Jersey Shore".

. Lighten up Jason. Jobar was just making fun of people that are a part of his own culture. I think we are all permitted to make fun of our own cultures, as long as we realize that not everyone in any state fits a particular stereotype.

The National Weather Service has released a Winter Weather Advisory for the Election in Alabama Thread. Forecasts indicate that flurries are possible as well as claims of victim-hood and self-importance. Pedestal speak is also possible. Please plan some extra time in order to deal with eye rolls and sighs.

...he has the right to poke a little fun at other rural white guys....

To be completely fair, though, there isn't anything about the word "Alabama" that makes its use merely to refer to only rural white guys, nor is rural white guys a race per se. The word "Alabama" can also include black guys and urban guys [in theory] since Alabama has a lot of non-white persons, even rocket scientists. In practice, I strongly suspect the stereotype of brothers and sisters has more to do with population bottlenecks than race--to include relative isolation in the past or lack of availability in sparse communities. So there may be very little access and availability of peers in some areas for youth [or in the past] and that may carry some larger probability of breeding with a distant or close cousin, creating endogamous communities.

Example:
Abstract
A survey was conducted of 324 members of the Cajun isolate of Southern Alabama. Tradition and appearance suggest that this population of about 3,000 are not entirely White, Black, or Indian but constitute a triracial community somewhat reproductively isolated and inbred. The earliest American settlement in the area, along the banks of the Mobile and Tombigbee Rivers, lay between Spaniards to the South and Indian tribes on the other sides: Creek, Choctaw, and Cherokee. Physical measurements are reported for 71 adults, plus color of skin, eyes, and hair. X-rays were taken of wrist and ankle bones of some 253 children. Red blood samples were typed on adults and children, and haptoglobin, Gm, and Gc types were determined from serum. History and physical examinations were also made. Physical measurements and observations suggest predominantly White ancestry, and D2 analysis confirms this, with least similarity to Indians. Analysis of serological traits implies almost 70% White, almost 30% Black, and very little Indians genes. Few defects of clear genetic etiology were discovered. Growth patterns judged from X-rays appeared normal. All genetic loci testable were in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium except Gc. While history and some common surnames suggest endogamy in the past, the medical and serological findings, plus some additional surnames, indicate that the isolate has already been largely diluted or dissolved.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/888930

So such communities may have been endogamous in the past, creating such Alabama stereotypes along with other communities (such as rural whites), but in the present such communities may have lost those characteristics (diluted) because there is a lot of access and movement today..much less isolation. The stereotypes may live on, though. But still....there is no reason such statements apply to only whites or that its theoretical application to only rural whites in Alabama makes it racist.

...he has the right to poke a little fun at other rural white guys....

To be completely fair, though, there isn't anything about the word "Alabama" that makes its use merely to refer to only rural white guys, nor is rural white guys a race per se. The word "Alabama" can also include black guys and urban guys [in theory] since Alabama has a lot of non-white persons, even rocket scientists. In practice, I strongly suspect the stereotype of brothers and sisters has more to do with population bottlenecks than race--to include relative isolation in the past or lack of availability in sparse communities. So there may be very little access and availability of peers in some areas for youth [or in the past] and that may carry some larger probability of breeding with a distant or close cousin, creating endogamous communities.

Example:
Abstract
A survey was conducted of 324 members of the Cajun isolate of Southern Alabama. Tradition and appearance suggest that this population of about 3,000 are not entirely White, Black, or Indian but constitute a triracial community somewhat reproductively isolated and inbred. The earliest American settlement in the area, along the banks of the Mobile and Tombigbee Rivers, lay between Spaniards to the South and Indian tribes on the other sides: Creek, Choctaw, and Cherokee. Physical measurements are reported for 71 adults, plus color of skin, eyes, and hair. X-rays were taken of wrist and ankle bones of some 253 children. Red blood samples were typed on adults and children, and haptoglobin, Gm, and Gc types were determined from serum. History and physical examinations were also made. Physical measurements and observations suggest predominantly White ancestry, and D2 analysis confirms this, with least similarity to Indians. Analysis of serological traits implies almost 70% White, almost 30% Black, and very little Indians genes. Few defects of clear genetic etiology were discovered. Growth patterns judged from X-rays appeared normal. All genetic loci testable were in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium except Gc. While history and some common surnames suggest endogamy in the past, the medical and serological findings, plus some additional surnames, indicate that the isolate has already been largely diluted or dissolved.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/888930

So such communities may have been endogamous in the past, creating such Alabama stereotypes along with other communities (such as rural whites), but in the present such communities may have lost those characteristics (diluted) because there is a lot of access and movement today..much less isolation. The stereotypes may live on, though. But still....there is no reason such statements apply to only whites or that its theoretical application to only rural whites in Alabama makes it racist.
It's movies like Deliverance that made this kind of thinking and jokes recently popular. Now, in political terms, I think if Alabama had two Democratic U.S. Senators and a Democratic governor for a couple of decades, these sort of cracks would probably be far less visible. Of course I also imagine that if a Republican challenger such as Moore or even another conservative was doing a pretty good job at threatening the reelection chances of a Democratic senator from Alabama, this leaves much more possibly for jokes like "Well, we are talking about Alabama, after all, where not too long ago, lawyers were..."

Back
Top Bottom