• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Election Delays and Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be that damn MSNBC fairy -- the one that's causing all the audio problems on the remote feeds from the news consultants' home offices.

I have been told that if Trump even speculates on delaying the election for any reason, that is proof he is a fascist dictator.

New Zealand PM delays election after virus return

So the New Zealand Labor Party is a fascist party and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is a fascist dictator.

You got it in one pal. The only reason people think Trump is a fascist dictator is because of scheduling.

Let's cut the fucking foreplay and let you explain why you are voting for Trump this election.

I have been told that if Trump even speculates on delaying the election for any reason, that is proof he is a fascist dictator.

So the New Zealand Labor Party is a fascist party and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is a fascist dictator.

Neither one of them is a fascist dictator. However, if Trump attempts to delay the election, it will very probably be to have a better chance at winning. There is no reason to suspect that that was the case with Ardern. The main opposition leader, Judith Collins, also wanted a delay, and there is no good reason to suspect a delay improves Ardern chances - which are considerably better than Trump's -, or even that she would make a decision like that due to electoral considerations when the risk is the spread of the virus.

Neither one of them is a fascist dictator. However, if Trump attempts to delay the election, it will very probably be to have a better chance at winning. There is no reason to suspect that that was the case with Ardern. The main opposition leader, Judith Collins, also wanted a delay, and there is no good reason to suspect a delay improves Ardern chances - which are considerably better than Trump's -, or even that she would make a decision like that due to electoral considerations when the risk is the spread of the virus.

How dare you for throwing in some context! Your perspicacity is putting holes into Jason Harvestdancer being [edited] my good sir. For shame! I bid you good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

How dare you for throwing in some context! Your perspicacity is putting holes into Jason Harvestdancer being a snide prick my good sir. For shame! I bid you good day.

The only way to vote against Trump is to vote for someone who CAN win who IS NOT Trump. That is the only way to vote against him.

Voting for someone who cannot possibly win is not voting against Trump. It is effectively not voting at all.

Why not just stay home, at that point? What statement could you possibly make voting for some other candidate? That you actually LIKE Kanye?

In the USA, election day is established by law and cannot be changed by the President. In New Zealand, the Prime Minister can legally set the election day before Parliament expires ir us recalled.

So there is a major difference between the two situations.

The only way to vote against Trump is to vote for someone who CAN win who IS NOT Trump. That is the only way to vote against him.

Voting for someone who cannot possibly win is not voting against Trump. It is effectively not voting at all.

Why not just stay home, at that point? What statement could you possibly make voting for some other candidate? That you actually LIKE Kanye?

And in most states, even that argument doesn't hold.

What difference does it make how you vote in California? It is going to the Dem no matter what. What difference does it make how you vote in Texas? It is going to the Rep no matter what.

(No, Texas is not in play)

Only in a small handful of states can you even make the argument you are making now.

Since there is no realistic argument for your vote impacting the outcome, there is only one reason to vote and that is to say "this platform is what I actually prefer most". If you actually prefer the Democrat platform over the Green platform, then go ahead and vote Democrat. But "I hate the other guy" isn't a platform and that argument only holds water in a few places.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what passes for "logic" amongst libertarians.

A finer example of why libertarians get pretty much everything so woefully wrong all the fucking time, you could not hope to see.

Or, to put it another way, libertarianism is obviously right, as long as we assume that everything is really simple. But if everything was really simple, we wouldn't need ANY philosophies or politics, including libertarianism.

Reality is complex. Libertarians cannot cope. It's rather sad. But don't feel too bad - they feel incredibly smug about it.

Well with Trump, it helps to look at his body of work and make a reasoned assessment from there.

That's asking a lot from a libertarian, don't you think.

I have been told (way back in '98-'99) that character counts in the White House. Back then I was told by the Rt. Rev. Lindsey Graham that impeachment was a "cleansing". Now I am told by these same people that a pussy-grabbing, Putin-suckin', lying, disrespectful, coarse-mouthed, coarse-minded orange being who once acted out the muscle spasms of a physically impaired reporter -- on-stage, for the amusement of his fans -- is the fit occupant of the Oval Office.

New Zealand has a completely different constitutional structure. Is she violating her constitution by delaying the vote? If not, she’s not a dictator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom